What's new

Turkey may hold referendum to decide on fate of EU membership

Should we continue the negotiations with the European Union or should we end them?

• Total voters
I was under the impression that Turkey is no where close to qualifying EU membership and that it would take decades before Turkey would be eligible :coffee:

these sentiments continue in both camps (Europe/Turkey), in no more than one or two decades i won't be surprised to see Holy League vs Ottomans again. Im not even saying this jokingly. For centuries Ottomans have been the only power strong enough to stop encroaching European colonialism in Middle East and North Africa. Now that we lost our position the Western powers act like kindergarden in Middle East+North Africa. We see a rise in Turkish self confidence and power, i wonder if history will repeat
:)

Mate, we are no more an Empire anymore.....if it turns West vs Turkey....we would be decimated. The power gap is huge.... and i can't foresee when we will catch up with them....or not "when" but "if we can ever catch up with them".

I don`t see much benefits for Turkey to join a sinking ship...the EU has still a basic problem, we don`t know, in which directions it should go. Not to forget our economy crisis, which is looming behind the horizon.

:)

Mate, we are no more an Empire anymore.....if it turns West vs Turkey....we would be decimated. The power gap is huge.... and i can't foresee when we will catch up with them....or not "when" but "if we can ever catch up with them".
All major EU economies are going in the toilet as we speak. I give it tops 2 decades for us getting ahead all EU economies except Germany

I don`t see much benefits for Turkey to join a sinking ship...the EU has still a basic problem, we don`t know, in which directions it should go. Not to forget our economy crisis, which is looming behind the horizon.
If the UK gets out,it could mean the end of the EU as it is.
Germany together with the ''Old'' European countries could start another Union.

All major EU economies are going in the toilet as we speak. I give it tops 2 decades for us getting ahead all EU economies except Germany
I respectfully disagree with you, bro.

Mate, IMO there is no argue that if Turkey joins EU would it benefit ? Ofcourse we would benefit, all the EU funds, FTA and stuff, EU will be pouring € to Turkey.

However, we know that it's out of argument because EU will never let Turkey to join.

So, IMO argument is "Staying as a candidate country benefits Turkey or standing alone."

I say standing alone benefits us more.

I respectfully disagree with you, bro.

Mate, IMO there is no argue that if Turkey joins EU would it benefit ? Ofcourse we would benefit, all the EU funds, FTA and stuff, EU will be pouring € to Turkey.

However, we know that it's out of argument because EU will never let Turkey to join.

So, IMO argument is "Staying as a candidate country benefits Turkey or standing alone."

We'll just have to wait and see where we are in two decades, if we live until then ;)

We'll just have to wait and see where we are in two decades, if we live until then ;)
Insallah bro, but i don't think that we have to wait that long...

Let's see if these comes true or not ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_vision

Failed in the 2014 target....i'm sure that we will fail on all of the targets. In 2011, we were doing great....but not anymore. With an increase in GDP about 3-4% percent....it's impossible...and lira is losing value against dollar in the last 2 years...GDP is actually going negative.
http://www.focus-economics.com/countries/turkey
We didn't solved the middle income trap yet..etc,etc...

To go head to head with Italy, UK, France looks like a very distant dream as for now.

Not sure, of course, Turkey has a stabile growth, but the basic data is smaller. But I don`t deny Turkey has the potential to make it. However, we talked already about this, much will depend about your neighborhood.

You are right, the EU would profit in some cases, too. However you said it already, Turkey would not become a member in foreseeable future. Especially not with an increasing far right movement in the EU.

Show the EU the middle finger and your butts, then enjoy the sunset.

If the UK gets out,it could mean the end of the EU as it is.
Germany together with the ''Old'' European countries could start another Union.

I`m torn about the Brexit, but should it really happen, it could be a chance for a new beginning. This time it should be make right.

it's a big market and makes Trade very efficient.
Still not worth bending over to tiny pathetic little Brussles. I'm all for cooperation but not domination.

Insallah bro, but i don't think that we have to wait that long...

Let's see if these comes true or not ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_vision

Failed in the 2014 target....i'm sure that we will fail on all of the targets. In 2011, we were doing great....but not anymore. With an increase in GDP about 3-4% percent....it's impossible...and lira is losing value against dollar in the last 2 years...GDP is actually going negative.
We didn't solved the middle income trap yet..etc,etc...

To go head to head with Italy, UK, France looks like a very distant dream as for now.
They can reach the target but they have to be smarter. For example to central bank should sell bonds to global investors as there is a lot of liquidity and low interest rates in the global market. Yani adamlar bunu yapmayarak resmen Agustos bocegi tarzi takiliyorlar, Fed yakinda faizi yukseltirse para bulmak daha zor olacak. Anlayamiyorum adamlari

Mate, are you joking or what ? o_O
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...-join-EU-year-3000-insists-David-Cameron.html

@KediKesenFare

Brother, can you add a poll on this thread ?

Let's make a small referendum between ourselves. :-)
- Turkey should end the negotiations with EU
- Turkey should continue the negotiations with EU

System here doesn't allow subsequent changes. :(

[Only for Turkish users?] Should we continue the negotiations with the European Union or should we end them?

@waz might help us...

System here doesn't allow subsequent changes. :(

[Only for Turkish users?] Should we continue the negotiations with the European Union or should we end them?

@waz might help us...
There is thread tool up above, click it and click add poll.

We can't control the nationality of the pollers...but we know Turks, we can keep our statistics.

They can reach the target but they have to be smarter. For example to central bank should sell bonds to global investors as there is a lot of liquidity and low interest rates in the global market. Yani adamlar bunu yapmayarak resmen Agustos bocegi tarzi takiliyorlar, Fed yakinda faizi yukseltirse para bulmak daha zor olacak. Anlayamiyorum adamlari
Let's do a calculation.

2015 GDP:717 Billion $

Let's say Turkish economy will grove %13.5 by every year (which is impossible, no country on earth has such growth numbers)

2016: 813 Billion $
2017: 923 Billion $
2018: 1048 Billion $
2019: 1189 Billion $
2020: 1350 Billion $
2021: 1532 Billion $
2022: 1739 Billion $
2023: 1973 Billion $

And Lira won't lose any value against Dollar in these 8 years....

Fairy Tale.

Back
Top Bottom