What's new

Turkey is 'making NATO very uncomfortable'

SipahSalar

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
They don't realize that without Turkey NATO is just US + France.

Turkey is 'making NATO very uncomfortable' - Yahoo Finance

Turkey's push to carve out an independent foreign policy and purchase arms from countries outside of NATO is raising concerns among members of the defensive military alliance, Emre Peker reports for the Wall Street Journal.

“Turkey is recasting itself as a nonaligned country in its rhetoric, which is making NATO very uncomfortable,” a Western official in Brussels told the WSJ.

Ankara's decision to purchase missile-defense technology from China, as opposed to from NATO member states, is the most visible break between Turkey and the rest of the NATO bloc. Turkey chose to purchase from Beijing due to a matter of lower costs and a willingness from China to provide a more technology transfers than Western defense contractors.

There are concerns within NATO that the Chinese missile shield would not be able to be integrated into NATO's overall defensive shield. Western military planners are also concerned that a military deal with a Chinese company could open NATO's door to espionage, especially given that the company is on the US proliferation list.

If the missile-defense deal were an isolated incident, NATO concern over Turkey's actions would likely be significantly muted. However, the arms deal is just the latest move in a string of decisions by Ankara that has left its Western allies uncomfortable.

told the WSJ.

Turkey's relationship with the West, and especially the US, has been primarily strained by divergent views of the Syrian civil war. Until mid-2014, Ankara maintained an open transit policy which allowed the easy smuggling of supplies and fighters into Syria against the Assad regime.

This relaxing of border controls contributed to a sense of lawlessness along Turkey's border and facilitated the rise of ISIS and al Qaeda's Jabhat al Nusra franchise.

ongoing discussions to allow US drones to operate out of Incirlik air base close to the border with Syria. Turkey and the US have also begun to cooperate on attempts to train moderate Syrian rebels.

Turkey has also become increasingly connected to terrorist organizations and financing. The Financial Action Task Force, a terror finance regulatory body, almost blacklisted Ankara for being out of compliance with its international obligations for seven years in 2014. This is in addition to Turkey's growing role as a top sponsor of Hamas.

$300 million in annual aid flowed from Turkey to Hamas. Additionally, one of Hamas' top leaders, Salah Al Arouri, has found shelter in Turkey. Arouri was responsible for the planned murder of three Israeli teens in June 2014.

Turkey is also still stuck in a corruption scandal that includes the exchanging gold for oil with sanctioned Iran. And a gas deal with Russia that helped Russian President Vladimir Putin keep leverage on Europe.

This coalescence of factors has led to a steadily growing sense that NATO and Turkey may find themselves at cross purposes. Additionally, NATO is overwhelmingly unpopular within Turkish society as a whole. A Pew opinion poll from July 2014 found that 53% of Turks held a very unfavorable view of the alliance, with an additional 17% holding a somewhat unfavorable view.

Every NATO country that spends less than 2 percent of GDP on defence is a free loader and needs to be kicked out. I'm not saying this applies to Turkey, I don't know how much they spend but it definitely applies to most Balkan members.

Every NATO country that spends less than 2 percent of GDP on defence is a free loader and needs to be kicked out. I'm not saying this applies to Turkey, I don't know how much they spend but it definitely applies to most Balkan members.

2% is not realistic in current economic situation of Europe ,there are more and more cuts year after year.

Turkey spends around 2.2% on defence.

How much NATO member spends on military in 2014 - Business Insider
Judy Asks: Is NATO’s 2 Percent Spending Call Realistic? - Carnegie Europe - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

why dont they concern about who sells army engine and other technologies to Chine, which lead Chinese mass produce submarine and risk ASEAN region..
Why they dont mention Greece, whose prime minister turned to Russian side and visited Moscow just recently,,
WHy they dont mention France, who sold Mistral carrier to Russia, to make them more agressive, which basically work to conquer more places..

Why those Nato member make good relations with Iran now?
because, Turkish policy knew that, eventually, they will come back as good guys, and Turkey will stay enemies with their neighbors. Sorry guys, look for another idiot, you are late about Turkey...

How pathetic from West.

So Turkey gets a better deal from China, and West refuses to give technology transfer to its "ally"...and hence Turkey decides to go to China. And according to geniuses, Turkey is at fault here?!

What a joke.

Turkey should and would do whatever it sees best for its interests. It is largest military contributor in NATO from entire Europe.

West should either help Turkey develop its indigenous capabilities to full extent, or stop crying when Turkey itself tries to do it.

It doesn't make sense, Turkey need to stay in NATO membership.

Look at this:

BBC Democracy Live - MEPs debate Armenian genocide dispute

Europeans became Together to demonize Turkey forgetting European past in Africa, America, Australia.

Just imagine Turkish parlement coming together and recognizing what the Dutch and Belgian did in Africa. :lol: The British did in Australia, Africa and America. What the French did in Algeria. Etc.

When I watched these morons I realized the EU is screwed. And NATO is screwed too. The problem is not spending but decision making. If one member state blocks and uses VETO. There won't be any action.

This is stupid, Turkey wanted to integrate more into western europe, join the EU, but other western european countries continued to put barrier after barrier to their integration....they have never considered muslim Turkey to be a part of europe....just wanted them to turkey to protect their eastern flank.

Now Turkey is pissed off and Turks are thinking look they really dont want us to be a integral part of the european community, why should we bother...lets look elsewhere...these same european nations whine.

If nato wanted Turkey to buy western systems then they should have provided in full TOT at a competitive price instead of crying out of their a hole....

They probably cry themselves to sleep when they remember the days in the 70s when they could casually slap on an arms embargoe and bully us around on the international arena. It's good to see things changing to their disfavor. Supposed allies that refuse any useful ToT+want to charge us more and then cry wolf when we try and look for a purchase that would actually contribute something substantial to our Republic's defense at a reasonable cost...with allies like these you don't need rivals

How pathetic from West.

So Turkey gets a better deal from China, and West refuses to give technology transfer to its "ally"...and hence Turkey decides to go to China. And according to geniuses, Turkey is at fault here?!

What a joke.

Turkey should and would do whatever it sees best for its interests. It is largest military contributor in NATO from entire Europe.

West should either help Turkey develop its indigenous capabilities to full extent, or stop crying when Turkey itself tries to do it.
The west always loved double standard. What applies on you does not, in me!

Their words and action cannot be taken seriously.

Turkey should leave from NATO already. Turkish people also hate NATO
All NATO countries are helping the PKK terrorist. NATO does not want our favor. Making us all hostility.
Sly and hypocritical countries
They can never be trusted.
I hope we get rid of the trouble of NATO
I hope to get out of NATO. Or they kick us inşallah

Turkey should leave from NATO already. Turkish people also hate NATO
All NATO countries are helping the PKK terrorist. NATO does not want our favor. Making us all hostility.
Sly and hypocritical countries
They can never be trusted.
I hope we get rid of the trouble of NATO
I hope to get out of NATO. Or they kick us inşallah

But how will Turkey face Russian threat then?

Only way Turkey can leave NATO is if Turkey has a robust nuclear weapon and missile capability that is able to create an effective deterrence against the Russians.

This is hard to come by.

But how will Turkey face Russian threat then?

Only way Turkey can leave NATO is if Turkey has a robust nuclear weapon and missile capability that is able to create an effective deterrence against the Russians.

This is hard to come by.

Another way to counter Russian threat is to be on good terms with them while at the same time strengtening your own muscles. I don't see Russians wanting to come and conquer Turkey or pushing to damage our interests much.

Back
Top Bottom