What's new

Turkey has developed thermobaric missile

Pax Ottomana

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
A recently leaked classified document involving to a top (former) procurement agency official has revealed that Turkey has started development on a new type of weapon that utilizes thermobaric concepts. Authorities were not immediately available for comment to confirm or deny the new information.

thermobaric-495x348.jpg

The leaked document indicates that a specialized wing of Turkey’s Scientific and Technological Research Council, dubbed SAGE, has been charged by the country’s defence ministry with prototyping and testing of the new weapon following a high level defence committee meeting in 2013. Current status of the project is unknown, but the fact that the news surfaced while Russia accused Ukraine of illegally selling its missile technology to Turkey and a number of other countries has raised eyebrows.

Turkey is known for keeping its more advanced weapon systems classified for many years.

A thermobaric weapon is a type of explosive that utilizes oxygen from the surrounding air to generate an intense, high-temperature explosion, and in practice the blast wave such a weapon produces is typically significantly longer in duration than a conventional condensed explosive. The specific weapon Turkey is working on is presumed to be a fuel-air bomb, one of the most well-known types of thermobaric warheads..

These cause considerably more destruction than other similar explosives when used in lower altitudes or inside confined environments such as tunnels, caves, and bunkers.

The new thermobaric warhead is likely to be aircraft deliverable, but it is also expected that Turkey will make them an option on its growing inventory of surface-to-surface missile systems.

Turkey to develop thermobaric warhead | TR Defence

Yeeaa, not sure if it's true or not. One thing however, I won't consider your source reliable.

Why?

Last I visited that website, it declared Otokar's Arma to be stealthy. :disagree:

Oh yeah? Well that's pretty stupid. Still though, papers like Hurriyet make a chitload of mistakes and propaganda but most people still consider them pretty reliable because of their large reader base. I've never seen Tr defence post something that's not from solid sources.

Yeeaa, not sure if it's true or not. One thing however, I won't consider your source reliable.

Why?

Last I visited that website, it declared Otokar's Arma to be stealthy. :disagree:
When where,can you give a link?
Never seen that on TRDEFENCE.

A recently leaked classified document involving to a top (former) procurement agency official has revealed that Turkey has started development on a new type of weapon that utilizes thermobaric concepts. Authorities were not immediately available for comment to confirm or deny the new information.

thermobaric-495x348.jpg

The leaked document indicates that a specialized wing of Turkey’s Scientific and Technological Research Council, dubbed SAGE, has been charged by the country’s defence ministry with prototyping and testing of the new weapon following a high level defence committee meeting in 2013. Current status of the project is unknown, but the fact that the news surfaced while Russia accused Ukraine of illegally selling its missile technology to Turkey and a number of other countries has raised eyebrows.

Turkey is known for keeping its more advanced weapon systems classified for many years.

A thermobaric weapon is a type of explosive that utilizes oxygen from the surrounding air to generate an intense, high-temperature explosion, and in practice the blast wave such a weapon produces is typically significantly longer in duration than a conventional condensed explosive. The specific weapon Turkey is working on is presumed to be a fuel-air bomb, one of the most well-known types of thermobaric warheads..

These cause considerably more destruction than other similar explosives when used in lower altitudes or inside confined environments such as tunnels, caves, and bunkers.

The new thermobaric warhead is likely to be aircraft deliverable, but it is also expected that Turkey will make them an option on its growing inventory of surface-to-surface missile systems.

Turkey to develop thermobaric warhead | TR Defence
@Alpha1 ?
What do you say about this?

The writing style is top class though very Zaman-esque in that regard.

"Authorities were not immediately available for comment to confirm or deny the new information."

When where,can you give a link?
Never seen that on TRDEFENCE.

Couple years ago.. wouldn't be able to find a link now nor waste time trying..

Last edited:
BS news because in Turkey there is no goverment who got guts to develop weapon systems like this , not to mention capable of standing againts political blacklash after it usage.

Last edited:
Thermobaric bombs aren't that advanced in technology (have been around for years) or overly effective, to be honest. They sound dangerous because of wording, but "Thermobaric" isn't the same as "Thermonuclear".

It's basically a flying fuel tank that carries some sort of extremely flammable liquid. it bursts very close to a target (or impacts it) and ignites the fuel using the regular air around. Simple enough. It's more of a rapid burn rather than detonation.

I don't see why this would be considered a controversial weapon to develop or the Turkish government would shy away from it. I mean, ATMACA anti-ship missile or the SOM cruise missile for example probably represent a lot more in terms of technological advancement than a thermobaric bomb in my opinion. But still, it's good to have in our inventory for specific missions.

Thermobaric bombs aren't that advanced in technology (have been around for years) or overly effective, to be honest. They sound dangerous because of wording, but "Thermobaric" isn't the same as "Thermonuclear".

It's basically a flying fuel tank that carries some sort of extremely flammable liquid. it bursts very close to a target (or impacts it) and ignites the fuel using the regular air around. Simple enough. It's more of a rapid burn rather than detonation.

I don't see why this would be considered a controversial weapon to develop or the Turkish government would shy away from it. I mean, ATMACA anti-ship missile or the SOM cruise missile for example probably represent a lot more in terms of technological advancement than a thermobaric bomb in my opinion. But still, it's good to have in our inventory for specific missions.

dont wanna be a dickk and iam not an expert but these thermobaric weapons can be used against pkk fighters who are hiding in caves.. you cant do that with anti-ship missile or with expensive som cruise missile that's why this is become important for the groundforces.

It is a very effective weapon for its intended purpose though.

Back
Top Bottom