What's new

Trump's Presidency And What It Would Mean For Iran - Attempt 2

AmirPatriot

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Hopefully this thread won't get hijacked by a group of children.

So, Donald Trump has now won the US Presidency. The Republicans have also taken the House Of Representatives and the Senate.

Donald-Trump-Says-China.jpg

Good things for Iran:

- Trump is an idiot. He has no experience in politics. He would for sure make mistakes and bad decisions in regional strategic issues.

- His idiotic economic policies would weaken the US, possibly sending it into recession.

- He has seemingly been seeking to alienate US allies in the middle east, thus reducing the power of our enemies.

- His Presidency will liquidate any respect or credibility the world has for the US Govt/President.

Bad things for Iran:

- Because he is an idiot, his mistakes may be due to reckless decisions which could cost Iran.

- If America's economy weakens so does the rest of the world, and that includes Iran's.

- Alienating US Allies may drive them to be more belligerent.

- He has said he wants to void the JCPOA/Barjam, which would be bad for the Iranian economy. It remains to be seen if his lack of credibility will allow the rest of the P5+1 to follow.

Last edited:
I personally think between Hilary and Trump, Trump was the best option for Iran:

Here is why:
  1. He is not dependent on any of the parties or cartels. Meaning he won't just start a war because the Israeli lobby or one of the Cartels who supported him ask him to.
  2. He has defended Iran and Russia's stance on Syria several times and has mentioned that US need to join them to fight ISIS.
  3. He has special respect for Putin and will mend the ties with Russia. Russia is currently Iran's ally
  4. Bad for KSA, they funded almost 20% of Hilary's campaign so now they should wait for Trump to return the favor. Again good for Iran.
  5. He is a business man by nature. Business men tend to achieve their goals by negotiation and improved relation not threats and sanctions. Again good for Iran.
  6. He is more focused on US internal problems which probably means less adventurous foreign policy. Again good for Iran.
Overall, I was very happy last night when he won. I think this is the best outcome for Iran.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/trump-and-iran.460134/page-3#ixzz4PYASPv9X

I personally think between Hilary and Trump, Trump was the best option for Iran:

Here is why:
  1. He is not dependent on any of the parties or cartels. Meaning he won't just start a war because the Israeli lobby or one of the Cartels who supported him ask him to.
  2. He has defended Iran and Russia's stance on Syria several times and has mentioned that US need to join them to fight ISIS.
  3. He has special respect for Putin and will mend the ties with Russia. Russia is currently Iran's ally
  4. Bad for KSA, they funded almost 20% of Hilary's campaign so now they should wait for Trump to return the favor. Again good for Iran.
  5. He is a business man by nature. Business men tend to achieve their goals by negotiation and improved relation not threats and sanctions. Again good for Iran.
  6. He is more focused on US internal problems which probably means less adventurous foreign policy. Again good for Iran.
Overall, I was very happy last night when he won. I think this is the best outcome for Iran.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/trump-and-iran.460134/page-3#ixzz4PYASPv9X

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed, but I don't think it will make much difference.

3. Well, it may be good in some way, but actually Iran-Russia relations are better when Russia-US relations are worse, because Russia is not afraid of angering the US. Witness how the west's involvement in Ukraine sped up Iran acquiring the S-300.

4. :tup:

5. Well, now he is a businessman with thousands of nuclear warheads, the largest military in the world, and the ability to inflict sanctions. And he has openly opposed the return of Iranian assets to Iran under the JCPOA.

6. I mostly agree, but he appears reckless and is unpredictable, so I don't think we can guarantee and inward stance.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed, but I don't think it will make much difference.

3. Well, it may be good in some way, but actually Iran-Russia relations are better when Russia-US relations are worse, because Russia is not afraid of angering the US. Witness how the west's involvement in Ukraine sped up Iran acquiring the S-300.

4. :tup:

5. Well, now he is a businessman with thousands of nuclear warheads, the largest military in the world, and the ability to inflict sanctions. And he has openly opposed the return of Iranian assets to Iran under the JCPOA.

6. I mostly agree, but he appears reckless and is unpredictable, so I don't think we can guarantee and inward stance.
3. Yes I was thinking about that too. Bu it all depends on how far down the road the Russians consider when they do their calculations. There is a possibility that Putin might back away from supporting Iran in exchange for lifting of US sanctions but he needs to also consider that Trump will not be the president for ever and the chance of an independent person becoming a president again is very slim so Russia and US will eventually get back to the same status quo one way or another. And then, they may infer its best to keep their current allies close to be able to use them in the future. (I agree Russia's history has not pictured them as a trust worthy ally but at the same time Iran was never as a powerful ally as it is today and thus is not expendable anymore. So that may change Russia's behavior this time.)

4. He is the type of person that holds a grudge. I can't wait to see what happens!

5. Yes, but at the same time he has threatened that he will pull out of NAFTA, NATO and etc. So in my mind under his administration, US will be back to pre WWII era in which it was a powerful but introverted nation. I don't expect him to be able to unite the west against Iran as well as Obama could. That means US may start rejecting the JCPOA but it will definitely have difficulties having Europe follow suit. Overall we are entering a more fragmented world which is always better for independent countries like Iran.

6. That I agree. Let's see how it goes.

Here are some highlights of his campaign:

Hillary Clinton was widely supported by the Arab Gulf states financially due to her insistence that Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad be removed from office.

The Gulf states wish to see the Syrian president ousted in order to curb Iran's influence in the region.

Trump wants to work with Assad in Syria to fight the "Islamic State"

"I don't like [Syrian President Bashar al-Assad] at all, but Assad is killing ISIS. Russia is killing ISIS and Iran is killing ISIS," said Trump in a debate with Clinton last month. His support of the Syrian regime could mean a change in US President Barack Obama's policy of trying to remove the Syrian president.

Al-Waleed Bin Talal, a member of the Saudi ruling family, mocked Trump on Twitter last year due to his anti-Muslim remarks. The Saudis also supported Clinton because Trump has threatened to withdraw from oil deals with the kingdom, unless they take measures to curb extremism.

American voters' plans, however, varied from bin Talal's.

http://www.dw.com/en/arabs-react-on-social-media-to-trump-victory/a-36320319

Last edited:
Why Iranians are quietly rooting for Trump
#USA2016

Mahan Abedin

Monday 7 November 2016 13:53 UTC
292 820googleplus2 1393
Topics:
USA2016
Tags:
Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, US-Iranian relations, Iran-Saudi Relations, Nuclear deal, Syrian Civil War
Show comments
ClintonTrump-01%20%281%29.png

If translated into policies, Trump's isolationism, along with his praise for Putin, could spell a much freer hand for Iran across the Middle East

As one of the most acrimonious US presidential campaigns in living memory draws to a close, major powers around the world – with the obvious exception of Russia – appear to be banking on or even praying for a Hillary Clinton victory.

Trump’s nationalism and apparent reluctance to support international defence and security organisations, notably NATO, is music to the ears of Iranian defence and security strategists

Like Russia, Iran could also be considered an exception judging from the position of the country’s leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei who, in a recent speech, appeared to favour Donald Trump on the grounds of his outspokenness and willingness to tell the truth.

But on this issue, like all aspects of foreign policy, the Iranian position is complex and nuanced and ultimately shaped more by institutional processes than public pronouncements by the country’s leaders.

Rouhani.BadtoWorst.7Nov2016.AFP_.jpg
In contrast to Ayatollah Khamenei, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani tells supporters in the city of Arak that he has no preference in the US election race between Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump (AFP)

There are good reasons why Iran would want a Trump victory. On the world stage, even a modest US withdrawal from global affairs is welcomed by the Iranian establishment.

And specifically on US-Iranian relations, putting aside Trump’s stated opposition to the nuclear deal which he called "one of the worst deals ever made by any country in history", the Republican candidate is seen as potentially more easy to deal with overall than Clinton would be.

Republicans seen as better deal makers
Iranian attitudes to US elections are primarily shaped by the experience of the Iranian revolution and its immediate aftermath. At the time, Democrat Jimmy Carter was in direct confrontation with Iranian revolutionaries epitomised by the long-running American embassy hostage crisis.

The prevailing view in Tehran appears to be that the worst and most dangerous moments in US-Iranian relations have passed

The resolution of that crisis on the eve of Republican Ronald Reagan’s presidency in January 1981 gave rise to an enduring perception in Tehran that deals are made more easily with Republicans as opposed to Democrats. For 35 years, Iranian leaders have consistently expressed this sentiment to varying degrees.

Carter.7Nov2016.AFP_.jpg
In November 1979, US President Jimmy Carter signs the order blocking Iranian funds in US banks (AFP)
Iran and America are slowly easing their way out of a 35-year cold war, a period characterised by intense rhetorical enmity, persistent diplomatic and even military tensions and occasional secret deals. The nuclear deal made in July 2015 was a watershed moment in US-Iran relations in so far as it broke the taboo on consistent direct contact and negotiations.

Despite strong opposition in Tehran (and Washington) to building on the deal's momentum and posturing by Trump and the wider Republican party, there is also a strongly held view that the nuclear deal cannot be easily undone. Indeed, if allowed to mature, the nuclear deal may form a template for a broader Iranian-American rapprochement, albeit one in the distant future.

Based on this fundamental assumption, the prevailing view in Tehran appears to be that the worst and most dangerous moments in US-Iranian relations have passed and the years ahead will likely be marked by a painfully slow process of qualified engagements and piecemeal understandings.

To that end, Iranian attitudes to the next US president will be shaped largely by the extent to which she or he can create distance between US policy in the Middle East and that of her allies (and Iran’s opponents), notably Israel and Saudi Arabia.

While both candidates unsurprisingly express effusive support for Israel, it is Hillary Clinton’s strong ties to Saudi Arabia which causes most concern in Tehran.

ClintonAlFaysal.7Nov2016.AFP_.jpg
In March 2012, then Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal listens to US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during a meeting in Riyadh (AFP)

A freer hand?
At the leadership level, it is tempting to decipher a difference between Ayatollah Khamenei and President Hassan Rouhani on who they favour to become the next US president. In contrast to Khamenei, Rouhani has refrained from wading in too deeply, instead proclaiming the choice to be between “bad to worse or worse to bad”.

But in reality, the current geopolitical dynamics make the staunchly nationalist and isolationist Donald Trump the clear choice for Iranian leaders.

At an ideological level, the Islamic Republic has no issues with a nationalist USA enjoying its own culture. Instead, it is America’s overbearing foreign policy and specifically its over-reach and shameless double standards in the Middle East, which inform Iranian anti-Americanism.

The geopolitical calculus underpinning a qualified preference for Trump is reflected in the positions of the country’s core foreign policy establishments.

For example, the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps’ semi-official news agency has just published a detailed Trump-leaning essay, arguing that the elections, issues and drama surrounding it represent an “awakening” in American politics.

In light of Trump’s praise for Russian leader Vladimir Putin and specifically the latter’s decisive intervention in Syria at the expense of myriad rebel and jihadist groups, a Trump presidency will effectively allow Russia – and by extension Iran – to dictate the terms of the Syrian conflict’s conclusion.

ClintonTrumpObama.Iran_.7Nov2016.AFP_.jpg
Iranian protesters hold portraits of Clinton, Trump, US President Barack Obama and Bahraini King Hamad, with slogans reading "is Daeishian" (Daesh is Arabic acronym for Islamic State) in Tehran in July (AFP)

On the other hand, Hillary Clinton will likely prolong the conflict by intensifying direct American intervention on the ground and by increasing American support to militant organisations.

For Iran, the difference in approach is critical. The Syrian conflict is a massive drain on resources and an intensification of American involvement, while not necessarily altering the outcome, will at a very minimum cost significantly more Iranian lives and treasure.

More broadly, Trump’s nationalism and apparent reluctance to support international defence and security organisations, notably NATO, is music to the ears of Iranian defence and security strategists.

If Trump’s vision is translated into coherent US policies, then the Islamic Republic has a freer hand in shaping events across the Middle East and devising a new regional security architecture on its own terms.

Furthermore, even the most qualified US withdrawal from its international commitments presents Iran with an opportunity to engage more boldly and robustly with key planks of the international community, notably the European Union.

- Mahan Abedin is an analyst of Iranian politics. He is the director of the research group Dysart Consulting.
http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/eve-us-elections-iran-quietly-roots-trump-474751219

I think that Trump was in fact the best option for Russia, China and Iran in particular.

Republicans in general tend to be better for us, even if the verbal rhetoric is stronger, the actual ground situation tends to be better.

I agree. I think yesterday was a good day for Iran, China and Russia.
The big question for iran with trump in the short term is the jcpoa,if trump does tear it up what will the other signatories do as their own credibility is potentially on the line,I have a hard job believing that china and russia would go along with that and I would imagine that even if the europeans reluctantly did they would be furious.The other big question is what would iran do?,would it continue to honor its obligations in order to show that it at least was trustworthy and honorable or would it repudiate it and quickly reconstitute its nuclear program back to its pre deal levels or more besides.I would imagine this would have a catastrophic effect on any future possible deals or negotiations with the us as how could iran trust that a deal made with one administration would not be repudiated by the next.Lastly I wonder how rouhani and zarif are feeling right about now?,will we be seeing the end of their political careers?,certainly they both staked a lot on the nuke deal and better relations with the west.

The big question for iran with trump in the short term is the jcpoa,if trump does tear it up what will the other signatories do as their own credibility is potentially on the line,I have a hard job believing that china and russia would go along with that and I would imagine that even if the europeans reluctantly did they would be furious.The other big question is what would iran do?,would it continue to honor its obligations in order to show that it at least was trustworthy and honorable or would it repudiate it and quickly reconstitute its nuclear program back to its pre deal levels or more besides.I would imagine this would have a catastrophic effect on any future possible deals or negotiations with the us as how could iran trust that a deal made with one administration would not be repudiated by the next.Lastly I wonder how rouhani and zarif are feeling right about now?,will we be seeing the end of their political careers?,certainly they both staked a lot on the nuke deal and better relations with the west.

Well one thing for sure, if US tear the deal apart, Iran will do the same for many good and reasonable reasons.

But at the same time, I think Trump will do some renegotiation about the deal to save face. But eventually he is not going to tear it apart. He likes to disengage from the world as he believes all these adventures are sucking up money that is best spent inside the country. I can't see him provoke Iran and start another costly conflict.

Failure of Democrats in U.S = Failure of Reformists in Iran.

I think that Trump was in fact the best option for Russia, China and Iran in particular.

Republicans in general tend to be better for us, even if the verbal rhetoric is stronger, the actual ground situation tends to be better.

Certainly for Russia he was great, given the bromance he has with Putin. And I think his threats to put harsh tariffs on Chinese goods will hurt America more than China. I think I am right in saying that he will retreat from the south China sea.

As for Iran, if I was certain he couldn't annule the JCPOA I would support him, because in every other respect he is good for Iran.

Trump.... we here in the US are going through massive protest and racial tensions all over the place so he himself could be the start of a bigger national unity problem or expand the alreday dire situation, but for Iran, Trump is still a wild card. He talks A LOT but he's unproven. If Trump will be the Trump that spoke at AIPAC then then the situation for Iran is favorable or not to favorable (depends on how you view it). the Republican held house and Senate will definitely agree on some sort of revision of the deal but then that will conflict with the 5 other countries that signed it. If Trump just guts it completely then the US looks like a incompetent untrustworthy nation that acts on impulse.

In think the JCPOA will stay intact but Trump will most definitely pursue Iran on other "terrorist" related issues and expect the leading state sponsor of terrorism slogan to come back in fullswing.

Basically Trump will call Iran all sorts of names but work with Iran in certan areas while conflicting in others. Obama did, much of the same.

Trump has a Jewish daughter and grandchildren so his love for Jews and Isreal is IMMENSE, this will be something that Iran has to watch out for. Trump grew up with jews and Jewish business men so that philosophy is there. I cannot stress how important Israel will become in determine US policy with Iran ( I know the other thread got hijacked by those idiots but I hope we're sage here).

Since the government of Israel is extreme right wing and the US is bow shifting into right wing terrorist. The views and interests of both countries will come closer in line with eachother (bad news for the whole of the middle east in general).

I really think this is a wild card presidency.

Also a quick aside on the Russians. I want to whole heartedly believe that Russia will have Iran's back but I don't thonk this will be the case entirely. Putin cares for Russia, not for Iran, so of presented with a real opportunity to increase the quality of life for Russians then he will see that it is done. I have a bad gut feeling that Russia will be tempted by the Trump led administration to abandon Iran in favor of deeper economic and bI lateral ties with the US that will mean the Ruple and russian economy gets a spike. I hope I'm wrong (and I hope the Russians see the US for what it really is).

But nevertheless we mist remain hopeful that peace and prosperity will come, but Iran must build a increasingly robust economy and defense infrastructure that will deter and defeat any enemy of any size that will threat or harm it in the future.

Trump.... we here in the US are going through massive protest and racial tensions all over the place so he himself could be the start of a bigger national unity problem or expand the alreday dire situation, but for Iran, Trump is still a wild card. He talks A LOT but he's unproven. If Trump will be the Trump that spoke at AIPAC then then the situation for Iran is favorable or not to favorable (depends on how you view it). the Republican held house and Senate will definitely agree on some sort of revision of the deal but then that will conflict with the 5 other countries that signed it. If Trump just guts it completely then the US looks like a incompetent untrustworthy nation that acts on impulse.

In think the JCPOA will stay intact but Trump will most definitely pursue Iran on other "terrorist" related issues and expect the leading state sponsor of terrorism slogan to come back in fullswing.

Basically Trump will call Iran all sorts of names but work with Iran in certan areas while conflicting in others. Obama did, much of the same.

Trump has a Jewish daughter and grandchildren so his love for Jews and Isreal is IMMENSE, this will be something that Iran has to watch out for. Trump grew up with jews and Jewish business men so that philosophy is there. I cannot stress how important Israel will become in determine US policy with Iran ( I know the other thread got hijacked by those idiots but I hope we're sage here).

Since the government of Israel is extreme right wing and the US is bow shifting into right wing terrorist. The views and interests of both countries will come closer in line with eachother (bad news for the whole of the middle east in general).

I really think this is a wild card presidency.

Also a quick aside on the Russians. I want to whole heartedly believe that Russia will have Iran's back but I don't thonk this will be the case entirely. Putin cares for Russia, not for Iran, so of presented with a real opportunity to increase the quality of life for Russians then he will see that it is done. I have a bad gut feeling that Russia will be tempted by the Trump led administration to abandon Iran in favor of deeper economic and bI lateral ties with the US that will mean the Ruple and russian economy gets a spike. I hope I'm wrong (and I hope the Russians see the US for what it really is).

But nevertheless we mist remain hopeful that peace and prosperity will come, but Iran must build a increasingly robust economy and defense infrastructure that will deter and defeat any enemy of any size that will threat or harm it in the future.

These are all challenges that a country like Iran who wants to stand up on its feet and reclaim its share from the world needs to face. But again, looking at the options, ie Hilary vs Trump, I think Trump is a better option for Iran.

At the beginning of election campaign I thought this joker Trump is only there so Hillary can have easy task of beating him and getting presidential mandate but as time was going towards the election he gradually changed and at some point he seemed to me like a real viable option. Hillary was only losing on her credibility as time goes by.
This guy shouldn't be taken lightly. I do believe he is somewhat different from the Killary democrat candidate because at the start he was talking against banking and industrial complex group which are zionist run organizations, talking in favor of Russians vs ISIS. I think he would change some things in US if he had freedom to make radical decisions without getting killed he would do that. But since he will be just a puppet I don't expect that he will do anything radical on US foreign policy at least I feel safer that this guy won't start ww3 in process in the next 4 years.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom