What's new

Trump seeks 'historic' increase of 9pc in defence spending

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
President Donald Trump's first budget proposal includes a substantial $54 billion dollar increase in defense spending, with corresponding cuts in foreign assistance and other non-military spending.

Highlighting what Trump has described as a "public safety and national security budget," the plan raises national defense spending -- already the highest in the world -- by almost 10 percent, an official said on condition of anonymity.

The proposal, which will be picked over by Congress, will have "a corresponding reduction in non-defense spending by 54 billion," the official said.

"Most federal agencies will see a reduction as a result."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trump-promises-historic-increase-us-military-budget-151646052.html

For some perspective, this increase would be roughly equal to the entire Russian defense budget.

The US needs to restart F-22 production to counter Russia's upcoming PAK FA. Also more Zumwalt destroyers to counter Russia's upcoming Lider destroyers. Also restart AGM-129 to counter Russia's Kh-101 / 102 stealthy air launched cruise missiles.

United States President Donald Trump is seeking what he called a “historic” increase in military spending of more than 9 per cent, a huge rise even as the United States has wound down major wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and remains the world's strongest military power.

Trump will seek to boost Pentagon spending in the next fiscal year by $54 billion in his first budget proposal and slash the same amount from non-defence spending, including a large reduction in foreign aid, a White House budget official said on Monday.

The president does not have the final say on federal spending. His plan to ramp up military spending is part of a budget proposal to Congress, which, while it is controlled by his fellow Republicans, will not necessarily follow his plans.

“This budget will be a public safety and national security budget,” Trump told state governors at the White House.
read more: Trump seeks 'historic' increase of 9pc in defence spending

oh dear - does not bode well for the world

The US needs to restart F-22 production to counter Russia's upcoming PAK FA.

F-22 is too complex and expensive plus US has enough F-22s already while PAK FA is yet to enter service
Also more Zumwalt destroyers to counter Russia's upcoming Lider destroyers

Zummwalt is entering service while the Lider class hasn't even started construction and those two play very different roles. AB Flight III is more closer to the Lider class
Also restart AGM-129 to counter Russia's Kh-101 / 102 stealthy air launched cruise missiles.
AGM-129 is not versatile enough the LRSO will be carried by both current and future bombers and will be far superior to the Kh-101

I'm guessing the US Navy will be getting the lion's share of the increase given that the biggest military challenge isn't Russia, but China.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what Congress does with Trump's request since they are the one's who ultimately write the check.

Just a $54 billion increase? Isn't that too little? I have hope it would be at least $100 billion or even better $200 billion. That would have done wonders for the US economy with millions of new jobs. Oh well, what a disappointment. :girl_wacko:

:tup: :tup: for sarcasm.

Let me add:

$100B increase in defence budget would have improved health and education for the masses.

$150B increase in defence budget would have built 66% weak bridges in US (an election slogan of Trump).

$200B increase in defence budget would have turned the social sector and brought people out of poverty.

Russia's new toys PAK FA, T-14, Yasen, Borei, improved Kilo are monsters. Donald Trump must have got scared out of his pants and restarting F-22 and B-2 production and seeking an Ohio replacement.

Just a $54 billion increase? Isn't that too little? I have hope it would be at least $100 billion or even better $200 billion. That would have done wonders for the US economy with millions of new jobs. Oh well, what a disappointment. :girl_wacko:

I was hoping for a bigger increase especially now we are confident that Mexicans will pay for it along with the border wall.

During the Cold War, the US was engaged in an arms race with the USSR. USSR could not sustained it due to structural problems in its economy. Now, the US is engaged in another arms race, this time, against itself. So long as US economy is able to sustain it; I think they will be fine.

Trump said he would be cutting from other budget items to maintain military edge -- from education, environment, social services, infrastructure. That I support, as well.

Back
Top Bottom