What's new

"Trucker carrying drugs to India has Diplomatic immunity"says Pakistan.

Reaction score
Country
India
The LoC standoff has taken a new spin after Pakistan defied all the international conventions and claimed diplomatic immunity for a trucker who has been arrested by J&K police for smuggling Rs 100 crore worth narcotics from Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (Azad Kashmir) into the Valley.

1954561.jpg

“Director general of trade and travel of Azad Kashmir (Brigadier (retd) Mohammad Ismail Khan) told us during a meeting that the driver (caught with brown sugar) has a diplomatic immunity. We told them do they really believe that drivers (plying cross LoC trucks) have diplomatic immunity. We also told them to show us any order which says that they have the diplomatic immunity,” Shailendra Kumar, divisional commissioner of Kashmir, told dna.

The standoff began on Friday when Jammu and Kashmir police arrested a Azad Kashmir driver after 114 packets of contraband brown sugar worth Rs100 crore were recovered from a his truck. A local trader, who was to receive the consignment, has also been arrested in the valley.

Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (Azad Kashmir) authorities have detained 27 Indian drivers along with their trucks demanding the release of Pakistani driver along with truck and the consignment of brown sugar. Pakistani authorities have also refused to receive 48 drivers and their trucks that had arrived here on Friday.

“We asked them to speak to your higher ups. It is our land and our law will take its course. We have no authority to release the driver. The matter is before the courts which will only decide,” said Kumar.

Jammu and Kashmir government has written to the centre to take the stand off issue with Pakistan through the diplomatic channels. This followed the communication from the district development commissioner of Baramulla GA Khawja to J&K government to take up the issue with the external affairs ministry for perusal of matter with Pakistan.

Trucker has diplomatic cover: Pakistan - India - DNA

Well - I think there are high chances that truck driver not aware of these drugs, their duty is to deliver the consignment - they don't do loading/unloading by themselves nor they are allowed to open cartons and check for drugs - So, actual criminals needs to be captured, punishing driver is misdirected justice.

“Director general of trade and travel of Azad Kashmir (Brigadier (retd) Mohammad Ismail Khan) told us during a meeting that the driver (caught with brown sugar) has a diplomatic immunity
Driver has diplomatic immunity? :woot: :omghaha: Do senior Pakistani Army officers always speak like this? Or is it just the retired ones? :crazy:

Well - I think there are high chances that truck driver not aware of these drugs, their duty is to deliver the consignment - they don't do loading/unloading by themselves nor they are allowed to open cartons and check for drugs - So, actual criminals needs to be captured, punishing driver is misdirected justice.

hey at least be glad that the truck driver did not get 'encountered'

Driver has diplomatic immunity? :woot: :omghaha: Do senior Pakistani Army officers always speak like this? Or is it just the retired ones? :crazy:

Hye come on, it could have been worse.

His worst crime is trying to get Indians high.

It's e;ection season so a bit of hash never hurt anyone.

And then Indians say we don't care about them...Your army officers in Kashmir should try it, it's good stuff:flame:

Same logic can apply to Dr Afridi too.. That he was not aware that he was working for CIA.. Would be wrong logic in both cases.. Lack of knowledge of law or crime you are committing does not absolve you of the responsibility

You may be right but then carriers are equally culpable for the goods they carry.

This thing about immunity seems absurd.

Pak ought to trace back the roots on their end and India shd dig out the onward channels for sale/ distribution.

Same logic can apply to Dr Afridi too.. That he was not aware that he was working for CIA.. Would be wrong logic in both cases.. Lack of knowledge of law or crime you are committing does not absolve you of the responsibility

LOL!!! This kind of examples are not expected from you, but anyway his case is in court to decide, and he is lucky that he was not booked under charges of working for foreign agencies. So, most of chances are he will be released sooner or later.

I don't know how much truth this has. On one side, we have the Indian version of events, on the other, no Pakistani news source is even reporting it, and the military is quiet about this.

I think India's side should just let this one go, release the drivers and trucks, destroy the drugs and issue a warning to the Pakistani truck drives to double check their shipment next time, because it seems that the drivers really had no idea what was in the shipment

To me, it doesn't add up that drug smugglers would use an open route to get into India, when they know Indian security is probably going to check the shipment. So to me, the Indian side seems to be hiding some facts.

On the other hand, the surprising quiet from the Pakistani side is worrying, because it just adds to the views that Pakistan supports this sort of behavior. Either they're baffled by what has happened, or their letting junior officers handle the situation, which is a terrible idea.

Back
Top Bottom