What's new

TRADE WITH INDIA NEED OF THE HOUR, SAYS ADVISER TO THE PRIME MINISTER ON COMMERCE RAZAK DAWOOD

Why single out @Joe Shearer ? Even @jamahir will do fine dance and deflect by talking about the green book.

The only person who unequivocally supported the Muslims of Kashmir is me.

@xeuss @Naofumi we need to take clear stand and seek support of Pakistan and Bangladesh to liberate Kashmir.
Because he used the same annunciation some time back where he said exactly the same thing about tourists going to Kashmir and being welcomed and that he wanted to go too but couldn't.

That is very cynical. Agree that there are racist Indians, but tourists are not treated badly, by and large. The statistic on Bangladeshi tourists to India always intrigues me, because I don't encounter any BD tourists. Here is a screenshot from the executive summary of a report (albeit Indian) which I have also linked below.

View attachment 817467

I am skeptical about what the purpose of these visits is. Maybe they are just meeting families, which technically qualifies as tourism because you come in through tourist visa.

No one opens up tourism to make suckers out of anyone. If tourists feel so, tourism will die a natural death. Of all industries, it is most susceptible to poor attitude. I agree with @Chak Bamu that many other things need to be addressed before we start visiting each other, because apart from principles, we want to be stress free when we visit each other, and not be asked questions like "Why are minorities being lynched in your country"

If we were to decide on tourist destinations based on racism of a few, most countries would be out of bounds for us brown people. I am not inclined to be this cynical and welcome Bangladeshis and Pakistanis if they choose to come to India.

I would not know, where you got this random report you quote, but you are correct. generally people who go to India for medical treatment are not upper middle class or upper class folks. Those Bangladeshis of some means have better options to go to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok or even Mount Elizabeth Hospital in S'pore. Some even fly to the UK. The money spent is magnitudes more than what is quoted in this inaccurate report. Medical treatment used to be cheap in Kolkata, but no longer. Thereby @Joe Shearer dada is correct, price conscious medical tourists usually head to Chennai or CMC Vellore where medical treatment charges are a fraction of those in Kolkata.

But upper middle class shoppers from Bangladesh (usually women between the ages of say 20 to 50) are inveterate money spenders from well-heeled families and will easily spend between 15 to 20 lacs buying clothes, jewelry and drain their husbands' Mastercard accounts - for each person/shopper. These are people in my circle, I know them well.

Typically shaadi shopping costs 20-30% less in India and these women will sometimes bypass Kolkata to fly to Delhi to shop at better boutiques. These are not small ticket purchases.

@Title,

There is no need to trade with Indians until Kashmir dispute is resolved with a plebiscite.

It is moronic to believe that we need India.

Trade with China instead.

Agriculture and textile surpluses should go to Middle East and China.

I would not know, where you got this random report you quote, but you are correct. generally people who go to India for medical treatment are not upper middle class or upper class folks. Those Bangladeshis of some means have better options to go to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok or even Mount Elizabeth Hospital in S'pore. Some even fly to the UK. The money spent is magnitudes more than what is quoted in this inaccurate report. Medical treatment used to be cheap in Kolkata, but no longer. Thereby @Joe Shearer dada is correct, price conscious medical tourists usually head to Chennai or CMC Vellore where medical treatment charges are a fraction of those in Kolkata.

But upper middle class shoppers from Bangladesh (usually women between the ages of say 20 to 50) are inveterate money spenders from well-heeled families and will easily spend between 15 to 20 lacs buying clothes, jewelry and drain their husbands' Mastercard accounts - for each person/shopper. These are people in my circle, I know them well.

Typically shaadi shopping costs 20-30% less in India and these women will sometimes bypass Kolkata to fly to Delhi to shop at better boutiques. These are not small ticket purchases.
I forgot to mention this. This is a large segment of the tourist crowd from B'desh. If you go and check, the entire quarter from Elliot Road to the south to Dharamtalla Street to the north (now Lenin Sarani), and from Wellesley Street in the east (now Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road) to Free School Street in the west (now known as Mirza Ghalib Street), the entire quarter is dedicated to the tourists from Bangladesh. These are not places that are cheap.

Time to start mass exporting cow dung and cow piss

Very large market next door.

Some value added suggestions could be canned soda and cow dung cakes

Is this from Indian helping another? For Joe Shearer to say everything is fine in Kashmir with the daily atrocities committed by Indian occupation forces is nothing but outright repulsive and dishonest. Kashmiris are being slaughtered on a daily basis and there is brutal war of independence going on. Kashmiris hate the Indians from the bottom of their hearts and there is no way they will be civil to visiting tourists. Joe is disrespecting the intelligence of this community by promulgating such lies as opinions. Such repugnant statements should be shot down straight away and undiplomatically put to the trash. You don't see 90% of the what crimes Indian occupation forces are committing on the Kashmiri civilians and it is nothing to be proud of no matter how senior you are on pdf or in life.
All that is no excuse for being extremely rude. The forum admin has made Joe Shearer a title holder & they seem to have a far better grip on such matters than you. You can not lump him with Sanghis or with trolls.

Before the trade ban India exports to Pakistan was around 1.8 billion USD approx.

Pakistan exports to India was close to 500 million USD.

India includes lots of non tariff barriers and unhealthy trade restrictions on countries and even with a MFN hogwash to Pakistan.... :p:

Coming full circle against China though.

Potential looks good though.

Check the example of BD and India trade per year.

India exports to Bangladesh - 10 billion USD

Bangladesh exports to India - 1 billion USD.

These kind of statements of talks and trade before FATF sessions are usually annoying.

India doesn't gain anything from trade or talks with Pakistan.

LAHORE: Adviser to the Prime Minister on Commerce, Textile, Industry and Production, and Investment Abdul Razak Dawood has said trade with India is the need of the hour and beneficial to both countries.

Also, Russia wanted to do investment in the field of construction and lay pipelines in Pakistan, he said on Sunday.

“As far as the ministry of commerce is concerned, its position is to do trade with India. And my stance is that we should do trade with India and it should be opened now,” Mr Dawood said in an interaction with media at an exhibition on engineering and healthcare organised by the Trade Development Authority of Pakistan.

“The trade with India is very beneficial to all, especially Pakistan. And I support it,” he added.

About the exports to Afghanistan, the advisor said his ministry had increased the number of exporting items to Afghanistan (in Pakistan rupee) to 17. “Still various businessmen are contacting me to include their articles / items in this list as they also want to export their goods to Afghanistan in Pak rupee,” he claimed.

Talking about the trade relations with Russia, Mr Dawood said Pakistan’s exports to Russia and the countries bordering it (central Asia) and others required immediate attention and growth. “So we need to open this trade. And that is why we are going there,” he said, adding that Russia wanted to work in Pakistan in the fields of laying pipelines, constructions etc.

As for exports, he said the textile exports would reach Rs21 billion target in FY 2021-22 ending on June 30. The next year’s textile exports target is Rs27 billion. But the country should diversify its exports since its products range is squeezed. “Our major export destinations are Europe, North America (especially the USA) and China. But our range of products needs to be increased. And I think, our engineering and healthcare-related goods can be added in the list of exports,” he said.

He admitted skyrocketing prices and their adverse impact on the common people. “I agree with you on this issue. But this issue will persist due to imports of oil, raw material, machinery and other goods,” Mr Dawood said.

Published in Dawn, February 21st, 2022

yes we need to export to them..

Why single out @Joe Shearer ? Even @jamahir will do fine dance and deflect by talking about the green book.

@xeuss @Naofumi we need to take clear stand and seek support of Pakistan and Bangladesh to liberate Kashmir.

Often we see Indian members here claiming that they oppose Sanghis but remain silent when it is time to talk about the aspirations of the Kashmiri Muslims.

We cannot be ambivalent in our stance.

We need to call a spade a spade.

Kashmiri Muslims need their freedom from the Hindu India.

@Joe Shearer @jamahir @Naofumi @xeuss @DrJekyll
Stop tagging me idiot.

I forgot to mention this. This is a large segment of the tourist crowd from B'desh. If you go and check, the entire quarter from Elliot Road to the south to Dharamtalla Street to the north (now Lenin Sarani), and from Wellesley Street in the east (now Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road) to Free School Street in the west (now known as Mirza Ghalib Street), the entire quarter is dedicated to the tourists from Bangladesh. These are not places that are cheap.
Are you a regular visitor to Kolkata/West Bengal?
Do you know that BD patients from nearby border places like Khulna come to nearby border places in India like Banga for simple things like CT scan?
Do you know WB govt has allowed BD patients to go for treatment in govt hospitals like PG?
Do you know patients from BD has reached to alomost previous level in hospitals in Kolkata?
Free School street and Rafi Ahmed Kidwai streets are costy? Then what are the cheap places in Kolkata?

He should tell that to his minister too unless he is planning to take another uturn
You cant stop someone from expressing their opinion.

It's not rocket science that trade with india will reduce the cost of many items.

But if IK said america absolutely not then he will not trade with india until their decision is reverse

Are you a regular visitor to Kolkata/West Bengal?
No, not for some two or three years now.

Do you know that BD patients from nearby border places like Khulna come to nearby border places in India like Banga for simple things like CT scan?
Yes. Your point being?

Yes. Your point being?
Do you know WB govt has allowed BD patients to go for treatment in govt hospitals like PG?
I have also been to PG and seen the facilities. It cannot be helped if people want better.

Do you know patients from BD has reached to alomost previous level in hospitals in Kolkata?
Really? Numbers before, numbers today, and your source of information?

Free School street and Rafi Ahmed Kidwai streets are costy? Then what are the cheap places in Kolkata?
I thought you were an expert on Calcutta, and you don't know? If you want to say that these are costly, again, data will speak, not your opinion; I have already given you my opinion, so no point in putting up another.

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom