What's new

TRADE WITH INDIA NEED OF THE HOUR, SAYS ADVISER TO THE PRIME MINISTER ON COMMERCE RAZAK DAWOOD

Nothing succeeds like success.

More U-turns from Modi on the way..
It's been a long time, and I am really feeling weary. I so hope you are right.

I don't think we should wait, putting aside my overall opinion on the matter of trade and such things.
I think limited trade, even if it is indirect is good for our countries, plus cultural and sports links. This view is not out of some desire for commercial benefits, but the fear of a complete break that might be irreparable with each passing year. That link cannot and should not be allowed to be broken at any cost. Because the costs are too great.

Few billion dollars here or there makes no difference, outward Pakistani economic image aside, Pakistan is a large country, few billions don't matter much difference, its all a matter of perspective.

About a year before Pakistan approached the IMF for a $6 billion loan, the Supreme court of Pakistan handed a fine of $5 billion dollars to a single housing developer in Karachi, the court opened an account that will remain under the control of the Supreme court to make sure they don't get away with it, that's just a single housing project.

If a single housing developer is fined $5 billion dollars, then its isn't difficult to see the financial capacity that exist in the country, it is just waiting for better management. The IMF is about a complicated economic structure, that involves more then just the loan.

So all these things are not important, but breaking of that link I fear might become irreversible, and we cannot and should not allow emotions to take us that far.
This is so delicate a relationship. So true. any drying up of the two-way current will not end well.

Wise words, although I feel that the overwhelming feeling on both sides (at least those who matter) is that 'things need to get better first'. They have their own compelling reasons and one sometimes feels that by ignoring them one is betraying the popular sentiment and is possibly out of touch with reality. The kind of artificial separation that exists between India and Pakistan does not exist anymore in any part of the world, except the Koreas.

You are very much correct, but we are discussing and creating a space for a thinking that seems to either get drummed down in hyper emotions, or has been forgotten. Just keeping that space alive for such thinking seems sufficient for the these times.

But, I wouldn't classify the separation as artificial, it is very much real, and in no way wrong. And, I do not see it as separation, I view it as three brothers living in their own homes. This constant recognition of it as artificial I believe is amongst the main reasons that's keeping the hate alive.

Other regions of the world live peacefully and openly without a problem, despite their shared histories, far deeper then in our region, but this, for a lack of better word, crying about an artificial separation breeds hate. I don't think we have realised how this thinking has negatively effected relations in South Asia, and will continue to do so, unless we change our mind-set.

You are very much correct, but we are discussing and creating a space for a thinking that seems to either get drummed down in hyper emotions, or has been forgotten. Just keeping that space alive for such thinking seems sufficient for the these times.

But, I wouldn't classify the separation as artificial, it is very much real, and in no way wrong. And, I do not see it as separation, I view it as three brothers living in their own homes. This constant recognition of it as artificial I believe is amongst the main reasons that's keeping the hate alive.

Other regions of the world live peacefully and openly without a problem, despite their shared histories, far deeper then in our region, but this, for a lack of better word, crying about an artificial separation breeds hate. I don't think we have realised how this thinking has negatively effected relations in South Asia, and will continue to do so, unless we change our mind-set.

By artificial I do not mean that the two countries do not have their distinct identities that need to be respected. Not at all. What I mean is that the hostilities are disproportionate, after all both parties got what they wanted and therefore the the need to constantly create barriers seems artificial (man made, i.e. due to political agendas). I fully recognise and respect Pakistan's existence and sovereignty.

Perhaps my post appears so due to the reference to the Koreas, which are exactly the same people divided by a mad man. In that case I retract the example. By no stretch of imagination I subscribe to the right wing Indian view of Akhand Bharat.

Last edited:
The kind of artificial separation that exists between India and Pakistan does not exist anymore in any part of the world, except the Koreas.

Yeh keya keh diya, O Basanti "Pawan Paagal"? :lol:

What is this?

Sir gg, I have to say this is extremely rude.

You are a senior member, far more senior then myself, I have managed to recognise few Indians, that's more just just a couple, who I disagree with but also respect at the same time. Because I recognised they are here for a dialogue not drama.

Such outbursts can be understandable in the heat of the moment, when one is stuck in an argument, but not the way you have done it, it's not right and it's extremely unfair, considering the person you have targeted.

If you view Indian's as a blanket slate, all alike, then I am sorry but it makes you no better then the persons you wish to condemn.
I hope you won't take offence from what I have said, but sometimes one only realises when it is pointed out, I do hope you will give it a thought and recognise your mistake. Stay blessed.
Is this from Indian helping another? For Joe Shearer to say everything is fine in Kashmir with the daily atrocities committed by Indian occupation forces is nothing but outright repulsive and dishonest. Kashmiris are being slaughtered on a daily basis and there is brutal war of independence going on. Kashmiris hate the Indians from the bottom of their hearts and there is no way they will be civil to visiting tourists. Joe is disrespecting the intelligence of this community by promulgating such lies as opinions. Such repugnant statements should be shot down straight away and undiplomatically put to the trash. You don't see 90% of the what crimes Indian occupation forces are committing on the Kashmiri civilians and it is nothing to be proud of no matter how senior you are on pdf or in life.

Is this from Indian helping another? For Joe Shearer to say everything is fine in Kashmir with the daily atrocities committed by Indian occupation forces is nothing but outright repulsive and dishonest. Kashmiris are being slaughtered on a daily basis and there is brutal war of independence going on. Kashmiris hate the Indians from the bottom of their hearts and there is no way they will be civil to visiting tourists. Joe is disrespecting the intelligence of this community by promulgating such lies as opinions. Such repugnant statements should be shot down straight away and undiplomatically put to the trash. You don't see 90% of the what crimes Indian occupation forces are committing on the Kashmiri civilians and it is nothing to be proud of no matter how senior you are on pdf or in li

Why single out @Joe Shearer ? Even @jamahir will do fine dance and deflect by talking about the green book.

The only person who unequivocally supported the Muslims of Kashmir is me.

@xeuss @Naofumi we need to take clear stand and seek support of Pakistan and Bangladesh to liberate Kashmir.

From the People of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan

#PASS
#NotInterested

Is this from Indian helping another? For Joe Shearer to say everything is fine in Kashmir with the daily atrocities committed by Indian occupation forces is nothing but outright repulsive and dishonest. Kashmiris are being slaughtered on a daily basis and there is brutal war of independence going on. Kashmiris hate the Indians from the bottom of their hearts and there is no way they will be civil to visiting tourists. Joe is disrespecting the intelligence of this community by promulgating such lies as opinions. Such repugnant statements should be shot down straight away and undiplomatically put to the trash. You don't see 90% of the what crimes Indian occupation forces are committing on the Kashmiri civilians and it is nothing to be proud of no matter how senior you are on pdf or in life.

I see your point, and thank you for explaining, although I still wouldn't use that approach with him, in a heated debate, fine things come out, but not outright, off course I am speaking from my own experience.

I supposed isn't this what dialogue is all about. I've had arguments with Joe in the early days on this forum, but we quickly developed mutual respect. He can only speak from his experience and from his own perspective, my job is to present mine, but there is an air of honesty about him, and I think that deserves respect, hence my need to say something.

You've introduced Kashmir into this so I'll leave it at this, plus you've explained your reasons and that in itself is being respectful. Stay blessed.

Not artificial, no, in fact, very natural. I believe that the whole reason why Pakistan is working well - all the odds considering - is precisely this: that the people of Pakistan, all the ethnicities, all the languages, all the diversity, are really better suited to live by themselves and get along with each other. That analogy of brothers seeking their own space and their own privacy but living close to each other is apt. It is preferable to any of the strained and stressed reasonings that have been presented over the years. Pakistan exists simply because her people want her to exist.

I see your point, and thank you for explaining, although I still wouldn't use that approach with him, in a heated debate, fine things come out, but not outright, off course I am speaking from my own experience.

I supposed isn't this what dialogue is all about. I've had arguments with Joe in the early days on this forum, but we quickly developed mutual respect. He can only speak from his experience and from his own perspective, my job is to present mine, but there is an air of honesty about him, and I think that deserves respect, hence my need to say something.

You've introduced Kashmir into this so I'll leave it at this, plus you've explained your reasons and that in itself is being respectful. Stay blessed.
I have asked for the recording of the interview, and shall put it up when I get it. Let's leave it at that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom