What's new

Tourism in Bangladesh.

As far as I've read, most of their tourists are from Thailand and China, may be a minority from the West. If they are really attracting the tourists, good for them! :tup:

Not really, Most are from the West exploring a country that was closed off till 2010, It's a frontier tourist hotspot but rapidly becoming a top notch one, Attracting 5 million foreign tourists in a year in mere 7 years is no easy task, Burma has always been a destination on most people's bucket list even during the Junta days, Since the opening of it's economy it's natural for people to clamor in

Infact if you go through most of the globally prestigious travel magazines Burma lists as one of the top destinations to visit, From Conde Nast to New York Times to Vanity fair, Lonely Planet or trip advisor, And with the tourisr infra development coming through those number will only rise, I know for a fact that many Aussies plan to travel there, Given Historical connections such as WWII sites, The River Kwai and the railroad of death etc, and ofcause more exotic world famous locations such as Bagan and Mandalay

Not really, Most are from the West exploring a country that was closed off till 2010, It's a frontier tourist hotspot but rapidly becoming a top notch one, Attracting 5 million foreign tourists in a year in mere 7 years is no easy task, Burma has always been a destination on most people's bucket list even during the Junta days, Since the opening of it's economy it's natural for people to clamor in

Infact if you go through most of the globally prestigious travel magazines Burma lists as one of the top destinations to visit, From Conde Nast to New York Times to Vanity fair, Lonely Planet or trip advisor, And with the tourisr infra development coming through those number will only rise, I know for a fact that many Aussies plan to travel there, Given Historical connections such as WWII sites, The River Kwai and the railroad of death etc, and ofcause more exotic world famous locations such as Bagan and Mandalay

I hope that this trend of Myanmar being a boutique, niche destination for more affluent travellers continues. I would rather we had relatively low numbers that spend more than being a destination for backpackers and sex tourists that places like Vietnam and Cambodia are becoming. Room rates are very high here so hopefully that deters the loutish elements.

I hope that this trend of Myanmar being a boutique, niche destination for more affluent travellers continues. I would rather we had relatively low numbers that spend more than being a destination for backpackers and sex tourists that places like Vietnam and Cambodia are becoming. Room rates are very high here so hopefully that deters the loutish elements.

Nothing really too wrong with most backpackers I would say.
Even really wealthy countries like Norway get their share of backpackers who on the whole
are well-behaved and mainly cultured.

Nothing really too wrong with most backpackers I would say.
Even really wealthy countries like Norway get their share of backpackers who on the whole
are well-behaved and mainly cultured.

Backpackers are not the issue but mass package tourism is.. In the long run it doesn't get but incentives to the market.. Back packers on the other hand while being budget travelers adds value, They are very conscious both environmentally and more importantly socially, And most backpackers return later in their lives seeking more up market and luxury getaways

I hope that this trend of Myanmar being a boutique, niche destination for more affluent travellers continues

Thats the route Sri Lanka seems to be going for now, Luxury boutique upmarket eco tourist segment with more personalized and private offerings rather than huge complexes and mass package tourism.. After years of being blacked marked as a paradise for pedophilia i think they're on the right track to shed that tag

Chittagong is a very old port
10346447_688560544562816_9117597783024608216_n.jpg

Royal Air Force at Chittagong airport during Burma Campaign.

During the 1971 Independence war,we sunk alot of Pakistani vessels here ( mostly during Operation Jackpot ).The Pakistani then heavily mined and sabotaged this port so that the newly independent Bangladesh can never make use of this port.Fortunately the Russians decided to help us after we requested,they sent some vessels,equipment and 600 or 700 personnel.They all worked hard and tirelessly to start our port back,all the men except one brave hero - Yuri Redkin returned to Russia.Yury Redkin was martyred during an explosion from a mine.Additionally,the Russians gave us some vessels and some equipment and other help before going.Yuri Redkin has been buried there,and is honored to this day as a hero.
images (91).jpg

This port carries 70% of our exports and imports,and without it,we would be as poor as Myanmar now.
Chittagong is also heart of our industry consisting of thousands of factories,big and small.
images (92).jpg

Not really, Most are from the West

A credible source will be appreciated!

According to Myanmar tourism ministry, 72% of the international tourist arrivals to the country are from Asia.

Not so hurry. I don't want to loose our attention from manufacturing yet. Keep the wages low while increasing the share of manufacturing to 30% and employ more than 40% of the people to the industrial sector. Once we attain that goal we should focus more on the service industry.

Well, I never suggested that tourism may or should overtake other sectors. But completely ignoring this sector doesn't make sense to me which was the case until very recently...

BD government has just announced the building
of railway from Chittagong to Cox Bazaar to be
complete by 2022.

@AndrewJin

Would be a great initiative!

Last edited:
Would be a great initiative!

Majority of the funding for this is coming from ADB.
Also the railway line from Dhaka to Chittagong is also being
partially upgraded.
The major game changer will come when
the construction of the Dhaka-Chittagong elevated expressway starts
in 2018 - I am optimistic on this as then BD would have finished funding
of the Padma bridge by then, and so in essence will have "spare"
money in the budget to even try to fund a 9 billion US dollar project
out of it's own funds it if needs to.

Last edited:
Majority of the funding for this is coming from ADB.
Also the railway line from Dhaka to Chittagong is also being
partially upgraded.
The major game changer will come when
the construction of the Dhaka-Chittagong elevated expressway starts
in 2018 - I am optimistic on this as the BD would have finished funding
of the Padma bridge by then, and so in essence will have "spare"
money in the budget to even try to fund a 9 billion US dollar project
out of it's own funds it if needs to.

I heard the Karnaphuli Tunnel is also projected to boost up the tourism in the region...

Backpackers are not the issue but mass package tourism is.. In the long run it doesn't get but incentives to the market.. Back packers on the other hand while being budget travelers adds value, They are very conscious both environmentally and more importantly socially, And most backpackers return later in their lives seeking more up market and luxury getaways

Thats the route Sri Lanka seems to be going for now, Luxury boutique upmarket eco tourist segment with more personalized and private offerings rather than huge complexes and mass package tourism.. After years of being blacked marked as a paradise for pedophilia i think they're on the right track to shed that tag

Well, I know that when I was in my late teen/early twenties and had my British hat on rather than my Burmese hat, I and my white friends alike only thought of bad beer, good psychotropics and getting laid when going on holiday (though maybe had to settle on a quick snog and a feel most of the time). My point being that I wouldn't want the young me to come here as a tourist. That's what I mean by the backpacker crowd; not the older, conscientious ones but the loutish, looking for the nearest full moon party ones.

I had no idea SL gained repute for sex tourism. Hope that has been nipped in the bud. BTW a couple of friends of friends (professionals in the fashion industry in Europe) were thinking of coming here for the sort of high-end, boutique holiday you mean and after the bother of asking my friends in the travel industry they turned around and told me they decided to go to Sri Lanka instead! So I guess we are in a similar tourist niche.

Well, I never suggested that tourism may or should overtake other sectors. But completely ignoring this sector doesn't make sense to me which was the case until very recently...

Well, I wouldn't mind it to grow as ancillary sector instead of a primary sector. The tourism industry should grow as a support sector for growing business, commerce and immigrant community.

We have a good start in domestic tourism. If domestic tourism can get a hold in the sector then the foreign guest who visits Bangladesh will have the opportunity to spend some money in leisure and entertainment. I don't want to promote ourselves as the place for sin city or a place for drugs, alcohol and sex. We will be better off without backpackers. I would love to see Chinese, Indian and Japanese holiday maker and bargain shoppers here despite they are miser spender.

I had no idea SL gained repute for sex tourism. Hope that has been nipped in the bud. BTW a couple of friends of friends (professionals in the fashion industry in Europe) were thinking of coming here for the sort of high-end, boutique holiday you mean and after the bother of asking my friends in the travel industry they turned around and told me they decided to go to Sri Lanka instead! So I guess we are in a similar tourist niche.

Unfortunately during the war years the country desperate for foreign exchange and tourists turned a blind eye to some of these seedier side of the industry, And the beaches became a heaven for gay pedophiles, Thankfully those days are over

Burma, Northern Thailand and Sri Lanka are very similar i think culturally and environmentally, I Always feel the Lankan countryside is more akin to South East Asia than South Asia really

So your right as of 2009 Sri Lanka promotes itself as a eco friendly , Cultural hi end boutique destination, Gradually doing away from mass package tourism of the 70's and 80's

There are some stunning boutique properties there mate, Some of them rated very high globally

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/finest/article3904616.ece

https://www.mrandmrssmith.com/destinations/sri-lanka

http://www.cntraveller.com/guides/asia/sri-lanka/sri-lanka/where-to-stay

A credible source will be appreciated!

According to Myanmar tourism ministry, 72% of the international tourist arrivals to the country are from Asia.

Let's just say i'm a industry insider, And kind of know indept of the trends beyond what you might find from a google search.. :-)

Last edited:
Unfortunately during the war years the country desperate for foreign exchange and tourists turned a blind eye to some of these seedier side of the industry, And the beaches became a heaven for gay pedophiles, Thankfully those days are over

Burma, Northern Thailand and Sri Lanka are very similar i think culturally and environmentally, I Always feel the Lankan countryside is more akin to South East Asia than South Asia really

So your right as of 2009 Sri Lanka promotes itself as a eco friendly , Cultural hi end boutique destination, Gradually doing away from mass package tourism of the 70's and 80's

There are some stunning boutique properties there mate, Some of them rated very high globally

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/finest/article3904616.ece

https://www.mrandmrssmith.com/destinations/sri-lanka

http://www.cntraveller.com/guides/asia/sri-lanka/sri-lanka/where-to-stay

Let's just say i'm a industry insider, And kind of know indept of the trends beyond what you might find from a google search.. :-)

Looks good. I'd love for there to be direct air links between Colombo and Yangon even as a matter of prestige. I've personally considered Sinhalese to be closer to us than other South Asians and I always look out for Sri Lanka in the cricket.:cheers:

Looks good. I'd love for there to be direct air links between Colombo and Yangon even as a matter of prestige. I've personally considered Sinhalese to be closer to us than other South Asians and I always look out for Sri Lanka in the cricket.:cheers:
Sinhalese, burmese, closer, prestige, cricket... you must be a hell of a weird person..

Back
Top Bottom