What's new

Top 10 future weapons of CHINA

no, not at all...

simply that it is better to have a low res image, than none at all....
besides you know as well as I, that no weapon exists today for fighter class planes that can be guided or fed by L-band systems, so all this is academic.

Also, it isn't the russians that magically found the L-band, it is simply that they have large enough fighters .. the Rafale or the EF2000 are simply not big enough, the only European fighter big enough for leading edge L-band radar is the Tornado and that is marginal.

I have no idea how the chinese plan to -at least attempt- to counter stealth.. an AESA radar does not by itself guarantee that a VLO target will be picked up. Although LM suggests otherwise.

I don't see any attempt on the J-20 for anything like a counter VLO measure on the initial stages.

I mean .. doubtful or not, the T-50 has stuck with the IRST / L-band combo the russians decided on.. what is the J-20's way ?
There is a way of installing this supposedly 'stealth defeating' radar system but it will require sacrifice -- the F-111 way.

Inside the F-111's radome are three antennas: A classical concave dish for the main system and two half-globes terrain following radar (TFR) antennas below the main antenna. Think Dolly Parton. Either one can be used for terrain following (up-down) or ground mapping (side-side).

This method will require the reduction of the size of the main antenna, thereby reducing main system's capability, and intensive avionics upgrade. But would be considerably less expensive than designing a new aircraft. Another downside to this is the possibility of (self)jamming the main antenna due to proximity.

Another method is to carry a centerline pod of a fully self-contained L-band radar system. It has to be centerline because we do not want the aircraft itself to block the system if the pod is carried on either wing. Less intensive avionics upgrade. The downside to this is limited elevation scan because of the pod's position -- below the fuselage.

Whenever a radar system is ordered, the customer will say something to line of: 'The system will be able to detect a one-meter square target at 150 km with %90 probability.' There is no time span specified because the demand is that %90 probability is to be consistent no matter what. There is no credible data that the wing leading edge Russian L-band array has worked based upon common customer demands. This leave the speculative method described above equally uncertain as to efficacy. But just like the Russian's sales brochure method, it does make a good lollipop.

There is a way of installing this supposedly 'stealth defeating' radar system but it will require sacrifice -- the F-111 way.

Inside the F-111's radome are three antennas: A classical concave dish for the main system and two half-globes terrain following radar (TFR) antennas below the main antenna. Think Dolly Parton. Either one can be used for terrain following (up-down) or ground mapping (side-side).

This method will require the reduction of the size of the main antenna, thereby reducing main system's capability, and intensive avionics upgrade. But would be considerably less expensive than designing a new aircraft. Another downside to this is the possibility of (self)jamming the main antenna due to proximity.

Another method is to carry a centerline pod of a fully self-contained L-band radar system. It has to be centerline because we do not want the aircraft itself to block the system if the pod is carried on either wing. Less intensive avionics upgrade. The downside to this is limited elevation scan because of the pod's position -- below the fuselage.

Whenever a radar system is ordered, the customer will say something to line of: 'The system will be able to detect a one-meter square target at 150 km with %90 probability.' There is no time span specified because the demand is that %90 probability is to be consistent no matter what. There is no credible data that the wing leading edge Russian L-band array has worked based upon common customer demands. This leave the speculative method described above equally uncertain as to efficacy. But just like the Russian's sales brochure method, it does make a good lollipop.

perhaps ..but after all they don't just sell it to external customers..(or try to).. they want to integrate it to their defence... (granted.. we have only been told they will, and the Su-35S has only begun rolling on the production line) but that is what they have officially said.

based on indications alone, they seem to want this system. all the rest is anyone's guess.

Those are links to posts explaining why the X-band is the preferred region and is very pertinent to what we are talking about. Sounds like you are quite afraid of learning something new that would prove you wrong.

You already said this earlier 2 different times and here was my last reply to it...

To explain, again...the F-35 is well known to have "narrowband" stealth, meaning it does not provide equal stealth at all radar bands, specifically S, L and UHF radar bands. The lower the radar frequency, the more susceptible to detection the F-35 becomes. In other words, this weakness of the F-35 to certain radar bands allows opponents to exploit it, obviously. I'm not sure why you would assume the X-Band radar would be completely removed in place of a single L-Band radar. I never suggested this, this is your own idea because you can't grasp that an L-Band radar could be a supplement to exploit the F-35's weakness to it. Afterall, the F-35 is not the only opponent that could potentially be faced. Clearly, tactical military thinking is not your forte.

I am dismissive of that 'study' for two reasons...

1- What APA did was the equivalent of giving a junior engineer a project to test his abilities to perform his job. Although the project is valid it is a part of the more comprehensive testing regime where specular reflections measurement is just about the easiest test in a series of tests.

2- The quick seizure of this 'study' as somehow indicative of the J-20's true RCS.

These modes of scattering are of varying degrees of intensities on ANY complex body...
APA supposedly 'measured' just one mode: SPECULAR SURFACE RETURN. And that was using the word 'measured' very generously considering they admitted they did not perform any physical measurements but only the virtual one.
It is to APA's credit that they admitted their own flawed methodlogy but it is sad on the part of the J-20's supporters that they so quickly seized upon that 'study', using the word quite generously, and imposed their own misconceptions and baseless enthusiasm upon the aircraft. Am confident that you are not as cavalier with your credulity in your financial dealings. But I guess nothing is really lost here if one does not count one's own intellectual honesty.

I hate the phrases 'Trust me on this one...' or 'Take my words on this...' and have never used them in these discussions. But I have complete faith that the gents over at Lockheed, Raytheon, or Boeing are smiling condescendingly at APA for this 'study' because in another life I used to do the same thing for other 'studies'.

I already replied to this same logic in message #441. Detailed technical data for critical military projects are always classified which is why military analysts are sought after for their expert observation and speculation. Unless data is ever released from anechoic chamber data, we go by what information is available. You are free to completely ignore this J-20 study and every other study based on publicly available information while waiting for classified secret data. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Am confident that you are not as cavalier with your credulity in your financial dealings.
Last week's market took a nosedive but over the past few years I am doing quite well with my stocks thank you very much!

Wrong...LM worked out all the possible combinations of shaping, absorber, and threat freqs as far back as the F-117 days. It is incredibly presumptuous on your part to say that the pioneers of 'stealth' would miss the L-band when the data from the many freqs have been known for decades. Yours and many others' persistence in bringing up your misconception about vulnerability to the L-band by 'stealth' aircraft reveals a misunderstanding of the fundamentals of radar detection.

Here is why you and others are so very wrong about LM's alleged 'shortsightedness'...
The F-35 is not the F-22. If the F-22 has better performance against the L-band then it was by design. If the F-35 has inferior performance than the F-22 when it comes to the L-band, then it is also BY DESIGN. Not because LM was ignorant of the different results by the various freqs or because LM was 'shortsighted'. If they wanted the F-35 to be as effective against the L-band, it would not be the F-35 to start. The mission requirements are different and will demand compromises to some degrees. Use the L-band against the B-2 and we will have the an increase in RCS as well. So is it fair to criticize the B-2 in the same manner?

It is precisely this ignorance of the fundamentals of applied radar detection techniques that make the L-band trumpeters look silly in the eyes of those who actually designed these aircrafts.
Of course they did it by design, is that even an argument? What I dispute is their logic and rationale to create such a clearly inferior beast given its supposed designed purpose and future scenarios. The F-22A is feared because it has the advantage in every tactical scenario against every fighter currently existing and in the foreseeable future. Given an entire F-22A regiment in the battlefield, there are no significant weaknesses that can be effectively exploited except for the number of missiles it would need to destroy a numerically superior opponent because of their small numbers and high maintenance.

Now look at the purposefully designed F-35. This is the low part of the high-low fighter distribution of the future. It will gradually replace most F-16s and Hornets. Strategically speaking, the F-35 fits in with the American air strategy as long as air superiority can be assured. The question is, can this be assured given a future where larger numbers of J-20 and PAK FA exist? This is an open question and since it cannot be definitively answered as it can be NOW, then we have to look at the next front line which is the F-35. Can the F-35 compensate for a potential failure of the F-22s to achieve air dominance? This is where the F-35 weaknesses become glaring. Absent air dominance, the F-35s would regularly encounter J-20s and PAK FAs. Given a GREATER weakness to L-Band than J-20s and PAK FA, the F-35 would have a weakness that they do not have. A weakness that could be exploited from not only L-Band radar equipped large airframes like the J-20 and PAK FA but also by AWACS and ground installations that if they were to ever datalink together and cross-triangulate this information AEGIS style, then targeting F-35s would not be impossible via L-Band especially if either space based radar were used....or more likely through the messaging capability of Beidou-II which could send updated coordinates to any missile from the L-Band radar assets.

Now, if we are to look at the international strategic implications of this regarding the F-35 and American allies, the situation becomes dire. If the F-35 will indeed replace the F-16s role in respective air forces, what are the ramifications? What would happen if Russia started selling PAK FAs worldwide? What would happen if F-35 and J-20 adversaries both used only passive radar detection and got into a dogfight? What if F-35 and PAK FA adversaries both used only passive radar detection and got into a dogfight? The F-35s kinematic performance is absolutely terrible against modern fighters and it would be a sitting duck in such a scenario. Given the fact that F-22s will not be sold to any American allies, including the British, I'd say the F-35 was designed pretty crappy as a front-line fighter. I do agree that it was designed this way on purpose though...by short-sighted LM engineers.

You already said this earlier 2 different times and here was my last reply to it...
Then we can conclude that either you did not read them or did not understand them.

Of course they did it by design, is that even an argument? What I dispute is their logic and rationale to create such a clearly inferior beast given its supposed designed purpose and future scenarios.
Because you either did not read or did not understand why the X-band is the preferred region, past, today, and tomorrow, of course you would dispute LM. A dispute based upon ignorance is a laughable one.

The question is, can this be assured given a future where larger numbers of J-20 and PAK FA exist? This is an open question and since it cannot be definitively answered as it can be NOW, then we have to look at the next front line which is the F-35. Can the F-35 compensate for a potential failure of the F-22s to achieve air dominance? This is where the F-35 weaknesses become glaring.
This argument could be applied against ANY weapons system out there, from ships to tanks, from ground to air to naval forces. It could be applied against the F-14, which is dedicated for fleet defense. It could be applied against the A-6, which is for ground strikes. This is a convenient and misleading argument/criticism against the F-35. I have said it before and will say it again: There is nothing wrong with being a 'jack-of-all-trades' as long as the standards for those trades are continually raised. The F-35 fits that bill better than most. I could use your argument/criticism against EVERY future aircraft that does not conform to the standards set by the F-22 and call their designers 'short sighted'. The F-35 is not the F-22 just as both fighters are not the B-2.

Absent air dominance, the F-35s would regularly encounter J-20s and PAK FAs.
How do YOU know this?

Given a GREATER weakness to L-Band than J-20s and PAK FA, the F-35 would have a weakness that they do not have.
How do YOU know for certain both the J-20 and the T-50 are better performers than the F-35 in the L-band region? Let me guess -- Because they are not the F-35? Circular logic. You dismissed my demand for credible data for the J-20 but now conveniently you have credible data for both the T-50 and J-20 to definitively declare they are superior performers in the L-band. This is why those of us who have relevant experience in this business do not take your type seriously.

A weakness that could be exploited from not only L-Band radar equipped large airframes like the J-20 and PAK FA...
How do YOU do know that the L-band will be more effective? Because APA speculated so? A 10dB difference equals to half the distance, in other words, if at 100km distance, A and B originally have the same RCS then A did something to reduce its own RCS by 10dB, A will be detected at 50 km distance.

Any credible data to date that a small airborne L-band array will produce that 10dB difference? Do YOU know how much room is available under a figher's wing leading edge? Have you turned a wrench even on a prop job? Have you even touched an aircraft?

On post 454 I asked: Why not use the meters length HF/VHF/UHF bands?

Care to give it a try? After all, a meter length pulsed waveform will definitely give that 10dB difference, probably even greater. So why the centimetric L-band? To date, all who are the L-band as 'stealth killer' trumpeters that I have asked this question either fled in ignorance or engaged in mental gymnastics to evade the exposure of their technical ignorance that I envied their skill.

...but also by AWACS and ground installations...
Gee whizzz...I did not know that ground stations with their much larger antennas uses longer wavelengths to create tight beams and longer reach...:rolleyes:

For any desired beamwidth to discriminate targets in a multiple target environment, longer than X-band wavelengths have been used FOR DECADES. This is due to the relationships between wavelength, physical antenna dimensions and physical antenna shape.

The downside to this is that the attacker can use his detection of this scan to evade. This was practiced often during the Cold War.

What would happen if Russia started selling PAK FAs worldwide? What would happen if F-35 and J-20 adversaries both used only passive radar detection and got into a dogfight? What if F-35 and PAK FA adversaries both used only passive radar detection and got into a dogfight?
Your ignorance in this matter is further revealed.

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a 'passive radar'. Radar detection is a two-parts process: Transmission and Reception. It is usually a given that both parts are under the control of a single user. If the 'Transmission' part is not under that control, then we have only 'Reception' and this is where the misperception of a mythical creature called 'passive radar' occurred.

Here is where it gets very problematic for your argument:

The B-2, F-117, F-22, and F-35 can fly their entire mission without being an emitter of any EM radiation. The F-117 had no radar. It flew to its target and deliver its bombs using GPS assisted INS alone and it performed quite well. If an F-35 pilot detect any active search he will take evasive maneuvers to avoid his aircraft, not his radar, of becoming an emitter. This is where passive reception of any EM sources is a double-edged sword. The F-35 is ALREADY IN that passive receiver mode. So if he maneuvers outside the statistically effective reach of the seeking radar, there will be no dogfights.

...by short-sighted LM engineers.
:lol: I can put the same charge against the J-20's designers with its canards being potentially detrimental to RCS control measures.

You obviously are one of those who have no military experience but is grossly emotionally invested into a subject beyond your knowledge, technical and otherwise.

The B-2, F-117, F-22, and F-35 can fly their entire mission without being an emitter of any EM radiation. The F-117 had no radar. It flew to its target and deliver its bombs using GPS assisted INS alone and it performed quite well. If an F-35 pilot detect any active search he will take evasive maneuvers to avoid his aircraft, not his radar, of becoming an emitter. This is where passive reception of any EM sources is a double-edged sword. The F-35 is ALREADY IN that passive receiver mode. So if he maneuvers outside the statistically effective reach of the seeking radar, there will be no dogfights.

On this topic, I have before stated, that the use of the F-35 by the USAF is not main concern.

The F-35 will be sold to allied countries (and is aggressively marketed) which do not possess the resources of the USAF.

As you can clearly imagine, an allied air force in possession of about 20-30 F-35s cannot afford to use the F-35 in a silent mode, because it will be using it for active air superiority/supremacy missions.

You know very well, that in a hypothetical conflict between neighbours even non VLO planes can sneak up on you, taking advantage of terrain. You must actively be looking for these planes, you can't rely on them emitting anything either.

I am just stating a fact for these kind of situations, were having an F-22 you don't care much if you are actively looking for them, they can't touch you anyway. Which is a -varying degree of- concern for the F-35 which if you are an allied country is you most expensive arrow in your arsenal.

So the J-20 has canards instead of stabilators, so what? :cheesy:

j20x1copy.jpg

f2246.jpg

Then we can conclude that either you did not read them or did not understand them.
Whatever you say, but I'm sure most people can differentiate somebody saying a weakness can be countered without removing other beneficial elements...aka...adding L-Band radar as an addition to the main radar (X-Band)...which is the exact example I used....aka the Russian developed wing mounted L-Band radars...which are intrinsically an ADDITION to an existing main radar since they are wing mounted. Did that register? Probably not since this is now the 4th time I'm repeating this. Instead of getting defensive, you should admit when you are simply wrong instead of throwing out unrelated minutiae in vain attempts to divert attention from the context, something I have noticed you do very often.

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-NOTAM-140909-1.html

Because you either did not read or did not understand why the X-band is the preferred region, past, today, and tomorrow, of course you would dispute LM. A dispute based upon ignorance is a laughable one.
I don't need to dispute that X-Band is the preferred region since I never claimed it was not, that was a red herring you brought up out of the blue to divert attention away from the L-Band weakness of the F-35. This is one of the achilles heels of the F-35 and among the many problems with its poor design. I haven't gotten into its other major design flaws that make it a sitting duck in any non BVR battle. Maybe that's why it tries to overcompensate with an overly powerful radar that ironically would alert opponents of its presence 200km out. I do agree that LM did all of this rotten design on purpose though. lol

This argument could be applied against ANY weapons system out there, from ships to tanks, from ground to air to naval forces. It could be applied against the F-14, which is dedicated for fleet defense. It could be applied against the A-6, which is for ground strikes. This is a convenient and misleading argument/criticism against the F-35. I have said it before and will say it again: There is nothing wrong with being a 'jack-of-all-trades' as long as the standards for those trades are continually raised. The F-35 fits that bill better than most. I could use your argument/criticism against EVERY future aircraft that does not conform to the standards set by the F-22 and call their designers 'short sighted'. The F-35 is not the F-22 just as both fighters are not the B-2.
This is incorrect. The F-35 is supposed to be the 5th gen fighter replacement for the F-16 and some ground attack and naval fighters. The main rationale is to replace the F-16s. The F-16 is considered a front line fighter in most foreign air forces and we all know the F-22 is not going to be sold to anybody, including the British...which I already noted earlier. That means, the F-35 was meant to be THE FRONT LINE fighter of the future for American allies and customers. By the 2020s, stealth fighters will start to be sold to air forces en masse by either Russia or China, probably Russia. How is the F-35 going to measure up to that scenario given that it has inferior stealth characteristics that allow detection of the F-35 before it could detect its stealth opponents? Mind you, I said that L-Band radars would be used on fighters as well as AWACs and ground installations.

Absent air dominance, the F-35s would regularly encounter J-20s and PAK FAs.
How do YOU know this?
I'm surprised you could not figure this out. The PAK FA and J-20 are the front line air dominance fighters of their respective countries. In any battle for air dominance, the F-22s would be the primary opponents of these planes. Therefore, if air dominance could not be achieved, it either means more than a few PAK FAs and/or J-20s survived or a large number of F-22s were destroyed. In either case, the F-35s being the next front-line fighter would be forced to step in. In the case of every allied air force, they wouldn't even have the F-22 so the F-35 would be their front-line from the get-go. It's obvious.

How do YOU know for certain both the J-20 and the T-50 are better performers than the F-35 in the L-band region? Let me guess -- Because they are not the F-35? Circular logic. You dismissed my demand for credible data for the J-20 but now conveniently you have credible data for both the T-50 and J-20 to definitively declare they are superior performers in the L-band. This is why those of us who have relevant experience in this business do not take your type seriously.
I never claimed anything about the J-20 or PAK FA "specifically" concerning their L-Band stealth performance. I mentioned the publically declared "narrowband" stealth weakness of the F-35 which Lockheed admitted. Your skepticism over J-20 stealth was concerning its overall stealth RCS figure which you doubted was under ~1 meter square, a figure that I find laughable considering all of your self proclaimed expertise. The J-20s dimensional size together with its general stealth shaping indicates it is stealthy from at least L-Band upwards from most angles except the aft quarter. Obviously I can't provide exact technical details since public access to this classified project is..."classified", but you can tell from the airframe SIZE, alignment and continuous curvature shaping of the J-20 that its lambda figures would prevent EM signal returns and mostly disappate or guide EM away from the radar source for up to decimeter size waveforms. Same reasons why the huge B-2 is stealthy at lower-radar bands despite its size. If you understood what I just said, you would know this is MORE THAN LIKELY! Of course I fully expect you to request classified anaechoic chamber data anyways. :)

Any credible data to date that a small airborne L-band array will produce that 10dB difference? Do YOU know how much room is available under a figher's wing leading edge? Have you turned a wrench even on a prop job? Have you even touched an aircraft?
I never suggested detection would be at 100km or something along those lines. Here is a quote of what I actually said in message #432...

True, but I see the F-35 being detected first a coup in itself. The L-Band AESA radars being developed do not have alot of power so detection probably wouldn't occur until within relatively close BVR range.
So, what was your point again? Speaking of the wing mounted L-Band radars, this doesn't mean it would be ineffective given the range because the sort of strategy used with this would be to "flash" the airspace after the F-35 were already detected from longer range by an L-Band AWACs datalinked with the fighters. The combined radar signatures from the ground installations, AWACs and fighters would be able to triangulate the general location of the F-35 and if a missile were launched in that direction, it could be guided with precision to the F-35 if they used either space radars or China's Beidou-II messaging to send guidance coordinates. If a missile were guided to within a few thousand feet of the F-35, pretty straight forward given the above scenario, it is unlikely the F-35 could break the lock before getting shot down.

On post 454 I asked: Why not use the meters length HF/VHF/UHF bands?

Care to give it a try? After all, a meter length pulsed waveform will definitely
I never suggested using these ultra-low frequencies, this is another red herring you're pulling suggesting unusable radar frequencies for the purposes we're talking about. These frequencies are tactically useless against fighter sized objects given their extremely poor resolution. You can Google explanations of these radar frequencies to help you better understand.

Gee whizzz...I did not know that ground stations with their much larger antennas uses longer wavelengths to create tight beams and longer reach...:rolleyes:

For any desired beamwidth to discriminate targets in a multiple target environment, longer than X-band wavelengths have been used FOR DECADES. This is due to the relationships between wavelength, physical antenna dimensions and physical antenna shape.

The downside to this is that the attacker can use his detection of this scan to evade. This was practiced often during the Cold War.
First of all, ground stations are not forced to have larger antenna and longer wavelengths simply because they are on the ground. LOL Obviously, a stealth detecting ground radar installation along the lines of what I described for the reason I described would be L-Band based and would work in conjuction with AWACs and fighters...and space based guidance as I described. In the case of the ground based L-Band radar, the range would be limited. I'm assuming you are imagining something like an OTH (Over-The-Horizon) radar because otherwise what you just said makes no sense in the context of what I said unless you want to find a distant aircraft carrier at sea or something HUGE where you don't care about "usable" accuracy. L-Band cannot be used as a singular tracking solution, but in combination with other L-Band radars, it can triangulate location with enough resolution to provide a firing solution. Given this scenario, once a missile gets within a few miles of the target, the missile itself can rely on its own targeting to do the rest.

Your ignorance in this matter is further revealed.

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a 'passive radar'. Radar detection is a two-parts process: Transmission and Reception. It is usually a given that both parts are under the control of a single user. If the 'Transmission' part is not under that control, then we have only 'Reception' and this is where the misperception of a mythical creature called 'passive radar' occurred.

Here is where it gets very problematic for your argument:

Whatever you say. Anyways, the words I used is "Passive Radar Detection", I didn't say there is a radar type called "Passive Radar"....there is an obvious difference. lol Look up RWR (Radar Warning Receiver), it is used for ....Passive Radar Detection and is claimed to be one of the primary strengths of the F-22. That's your style of semantics at play, once again. Besides wordplay, if a fighter always maneuvers outside the statistically effective reach of the seeking radar then by your logic, all the opponent has to do to win airspace is occupy that airspace while blasting their radar. Hey, air dominance by default! Like I said earlier, tactical thinking is not your forte. I'm sure there are situations where dogfights would occur, unless we accept your sort of logic and believe the LM propaganda that the F-35 can successfully engage everything from distant BVR ranges, even in the soon-to-be age of widespread stealth.

You obviously are one of those who have no military experience but is grossly emotionally invested into a subject beyond your knowledge, technical and otherwise.
Whatever you say. I am invested in gold and silver though. Something that is intricately related to the future direction of the American economy and its military hegemony, arguably to a greater extent than any weapons platform.

Supernal Hawk strategic high Altitude and Long Endurance (HAE) Anti-Stealth UAV
271678937b3c3bd9e8f910e.jpg

In the red circle it reads 'high altitude, long endurance anti-stealth UAV'
SAC admitted the superiority of U.S F-22 and F-35, so it is carrying a Sino-Russia joint-project: “Supernal Hawk” strategic high Altitude and Long Endurance (HAE) Anti-Stealth UAV. The so-called anti-stealth UAV actually is an air-based bistatic radar warning system. “Supernal Hawk” UAV will probably coordinate with PLA “KJ-2000” AWACS or establish a warning network by 2-3 UAVs. The typical deployment method is to place one UAV forward on the high altitude above the west pacific to supervise the directions of Japan and Guam. The UAV can hold the height advantage to search F-22 or F-35. The location information of objects will passively transferred to rear AWACS or other UAV and then guide missile attack.
China SAC is researching anti-stealth UAV | China Military Power Mashup

Whatever you say, but I'm sure most people can differentiate somebody saying a weakness can be countered without removing other beneficial elements...aka...adding L-Band radar as an addition to the main radar (X-Band)...which is the exact example I used....aka the Russian developed wing mounted L-Band radars...which are intrinsically an ADDITION to an existing main radar since they are wing mounted. Did that register? Probably not since this is now the 4th time I'm repeating this. Instead of getting defensive, you should admit when you are simply wrong instead of throwing out unrelated minutiae in vain attempts to divert attention from the context, something I have noticed you do very often.
I do not have to 'admit' to being wrong since you have yet to prove where I am wrong. Your argument here is that LM was 'shortsighted' in focusing on the X-band. In order for the 'shortsighted' charge to stick, you have to prove that LM did not know about the fact that wavelength employed is a factor of RCS. But since you so far have been unable to prove that, and consistently also proved unable to understand the fact that an aircraft is a compromised product of competing demands, we can conclude that you did not understand my technical explanations as to why the X-band has been the focus, is the focus, and will continue to be the focus.

The narrowband stealth of the F-35 was a bad idea due to the short-sightedness of LM. They never expected this could be exploited so easily.

This is nothing more than a great leap of faith on your own flawed assumption: Lockheed's focused on the X-band is proof of their ignorance that wavelength is part of the RCS creation.

I don't need to dispute that X-Band is the preferred region since I never claimed it was not, that was a red herring you brought up out of the blue to divert attention away from the L-Band weakness of the F-35. This is one of the achilles heels of the F-35 and among the many problems with its poor design. I haven't gotten into its other major design flaws that make it a sitting duck in any non BVR battle. Maybe that's why it tries to overcompensate with an overly powerful radar that ironically would alert opponents of its presence 200km out. I do agree that LM did all of this rotten design on purpose though. lol
That is funny considering the Russians are still struggling and the Chinese have merely dabbled in 'stealth' but here you are proclaiming the world's leader in 'stealth' is making a 'mistake'.

This is incorrect. The F-35 is supposed to be the 5th gen fighter replacement for the F-16 and some ground attack and naval fighters. The main rationale is to replace the F-16s. The F-16 is considered a front line fighter in most foreign air forces and we all know the F-22 is not going to be sold to anybody, including the British...which I already noted earlier. That means, the F-35 was meant to be THE FRONT LINE fighter of the future for American allies and customers. By the 2020s, stealth fighters will start to be sold to air forces en masse by either Russia or China, probably Russia. How is the F-35 going to measure up to that scenario given that it has inferior stealth characteristics that allow detection of the F-35 before it could detect its stealth opponents? Mind you, I said that L-Band radars would be used on fighters as well as AWACs and ground installations.
No, what I said was very correct. This is not about the F-35 as a replacement for the current generation of 'jack-of-all-trades' fighters. Of course it is intended to be. Your entire argument so far is based upon the failure to understand that any product, from ships to tanks to aircrafts, are compromised products of competing demands. Your focus on the F-35 is not based upon rational thoughts but from an emotional investment in downplaying an American product. I do not expect anyone to heap praises upon our 'stuff', but if they are going to put forth criticisms, especially when the subject is technically loaded, I expect the criticisms to contain credible technical support. I have yet to see any from you. You have presented no credible technical arguments that such a 'band-aid' solution by the Russians is of any efficacy. You do know the meaning of 'efficacy', no? And there are only speculations that the Chinese will use their version of the same 'band-aid' solution.

I'm surprised you could not figure this out. The PAK FA and J-20 are the front line air dominance fighters of their respective countries. In any battle for air dominance, the F-22s would be the primary opponents of these planes. Therefore, if air dominance could not be achieved, it either means more than a few PAK FAs and/or J-20s survived or a large number of F-22s were destroyed. In either case, the F-35s being the next front-line fighter would be forced to step in. In the case of every allied air force, they wouldn't even have the F-22 so the F-35 would be their front-line from the get-go. It's obvious.
That is not what I asked. Both the J-20 and the T-50 are still more in the proof-of-concepts and developmental stages than they are of production ready. The T-50 is less so than the J-20. But if we grant the latitude that you are correct, by the time both aircrafts are ready for production, how do you know that tomorrow they will be as capable as they are hyped today?

I never claimed anything about the J-20 or PAK FA "specifically" concerning their L-Band stealth performance.
You do not need to. Everyone understand how insinuations works: Let the readers' imagination take their course. All you have to do is point out the 'weakness' of one item without conceding that the same 'weakness' can exist in the comparables.

I mentioned the publically declared "narrowband" stealth weakness of the F-35 which Lockheed admitted.
Please...I understand that I would be treading the 'appeal to authority' style of debating, but the works of Skolnik, Knott, Jenn, Stone, and many others advocated the rule of targeting the threat frequency and not, in your vagueness, 'be stealthy against your opponent'.

Your skepticism over J-20 stealth was concerning its overall stealth RCS figure which you doubted was under ~1 meter square, a figure that I find laughable considering all of your self proclaimed expertise.
Why is it laughable? Is not doubt a reasonable part of investigation?

The J-20s dimensional size together with its general stealth shaping indicates it is stealthy from at least L-Band upwards from most angles except the aft quarter.
Then you must be a mutant endowed with a biologically based radar system. Convenient that only you have this power so far.

Obviously I can't provide exact technical details since public access to this classified project is..."classified", but you can tell from the airframe SIZE, alignment and continuous curvature shaping of the J-20 that its lambda figures would prevent EM signal returns and mostly disappate or guide EM away from the radar source for up to decimeter size waveforms. Same reasons why the huge B-2 is stealthy at lower-radar bands despite its size. If you understood what I just said, you would know this is MORE THAN LIKELY! Of course I fully expect you to request classified anaechoic chamber data anyways. :)
More convenient evasions when pressed for details. Am willing to bet that you have never heard of the 10-lambda rule or such a thing as an anechoic chamber until now.

But I have no problems educating you further, of course I do not expect you to admit your ignorance and false perceptions, your pride will not allow you to put yourself at the same level as an American, but the more objective readers will make their own judgement...

There is a difference between regularity and symmetry. The human face is symmetrical and irregular. There is only one nose, one mouth, then one ear, one cheek, basically just one item of a pair on either symmetrical side. An aircraft is the same thing: A complex body that is irregular and symmetrical.

What this mean is that...

airliner_rcs_02.jpg

...Irregularity equals to irregular RCS contributorship by diverse smaller complex structures on the final body. The EM interactions between these smaller radiators make modeling and estimation a supercomputer level effort. In the above illustration, the single vertical stabilator is an example of such irregular contributorships when compared against other structures on the airliner.

There is no way for any one with any degree of intellectual honesty to say that based upon visuals alone he can say that an aircraft is more or less effective in so-and-such an EM region.

Not even inverse scattering analysis...

IEEE Xplore - Inverse Scattering and Radar Cross Section of Heterogeneous Hydrometeor Ensemble
Inverse Scattering and Radar Cross Section of Heterogeneous Hydrometeor Ensemble

ABSTRACT

The models of microwave scattering on atmospheric particles are presented. Hydrometeor distribution on shape, size, material, and other parameters of scatterers are taken into account at different wave polarizations. Integration over resolution volume takes into account features of the antenna pattern. The novelty of the approach is also related with consideration of a situation when the ensemble of scatterers contains different types of hydrometeors. Results are important for remote recognition of hydrometeor types, radar and telecommunications.

...Can give the investigator that kind of information. What 'inverse scattering analysis' does is to examine the scattering fields created by a complex body to determine its shape or its material composition, but not both, and certainly not if said complex body is more effective on one wavelength than others. Inverse scatterin analysis works best on simple shapes like spheres as in hydrometeors (raindrops). Inverse scattering analysis is the EM equivalent of mechanical 'reverse engineering' attempts. Diverse freqs are used to correlate the results to see if the target's scattering fields are consistent from one freq to another but they cannot tell if an aircraft is specifically targeted against the X or L band or not.

Inverse scattering analysis is next best thing to direct measurements inside an anechoic chamber but it still put the investigator at the mercy of the complex body. In other words, if there is no cooperation by the aircraft, inverse scattering analysis can be as problematic as APA Physical Optics alone so called 'study' that everyone so eagerly jumped upon. If anechoic chamber measurement is the goal, then inverse scattering fields detection and analysis is a mile away from that goal. A mile behind that is APA's joke of a 'study'.

But here you are telling us that based upon looks alone, YOU can tell the world that an aircraft is better at one wavelength or another within a few centimeters.

I never suggested detection would be at 100km or something along those lines. Here is a quote of what I actually said in message #432...
What I said was an example of how different -- in dB -- that two complex bodies must be when one of them effected RCS control measures. The physical wavelengths between the X and L bands are of a few cm. I want to see credible data that showed that if a complex body, under radar bombardment, is changed from X to L band, there is a 10 dB difference. Without this data, your entirement argument that the F-35 has a 'weakness' in the L-band is shot.

So, what was your point again? Speaking of the wing mounted L-Band radars, this doesn't mean it would be ineffective given the range because the sort of strategy used with this would be to "flash" the airspace after the F-35 were already detected from longer range by an L-Band AWACs datalinked with the fighters. The combined radar signatures from the ground installations, AWACs and fighters would be able to triangulate the general location of the F-35 and if a missile were launched in that direction, it could be guided with precision to the F-35 if they used either space radars or China's Beidou-II messaging to send guidance coordinates. If a missile were guided to within a few thousand feet of the F-35, pretty straight forward given the above scenario, it is unlikely the F-35 could break the lock before getting shot down.
Ah...A different tack. Now you are stacking the deck against the F-35 by giving its opposition all sorts of supporting elements. Funny how the F-35 is denied the same privilege. But hey...We know by now this subject is filled with intellectual dishonesty.

I never suggested using these ultra-low frequencies, this is another red herring you're pulling suggesting unusable radar frequencies for the purposes we're talking about. These frequencies are tactically useless against fighter sized objects given their extremely poor resolution.
That was not what I asked. If an increase of a few cm is supposed to be a 'stealth killer', then certainly an increase to one meter wavelength is no longer speculative but assured, no? So what if they have poor target resolutions? As long as the 'stealth' aircraft is at least revealed in the general direction, why not use these meters length wavelengths?

You can Google explanations of these radar frequencies to help you better understand.
I think people here know I am versed enough about this subject.

First of all, ground stations are not forced to have larger antenna and longer wavelengths simply because they are on the ground. LOL
The laugh is on you. Ground air defense radars are usually meters in dimensions, not because of the freqs but because of the wavelength versus antenna shape versus antenna dimensions IF they want to reach out as far as possible. So by the need for distance, yes, ground stations are quite forced by this need.

Obviously, a stealth detecting ground radar installation along the lines of what I described for the reason I described would be L-Band based and would work in conjuction with AWACs and fighters...and space based guidance as I described. In the case of the ground based L-Band radar, the range would be limited. I'm assuming you are imagining something like an OTH (Over-The-Horizon) radar because otherwise what you just said makes no sense in the context of what I said unless you want to find a distant aircraft carrier at sea or something HUGE where you don't care about "usable" accuracy. L-Band cannot be used as a singular tracking solution, but in combination with other L-Band radars, it can triangulate location with enough resolution to provide a firing solution. Given this scenario, once a missile gets within a few miles of the target, the missile itself can rely on its own targeting to do the rest.
But ground radars are ALREADY operating in wavelengths longer than the L-band. Why are they not touted as 'stealth killers' now? Air traffic control radars operate in the S-band, which is next to the L-band, and yet US 'stealth' aircrafts must fly with enhancers to assist civilian controllers. I would think that if the L-band is so effective, the Internet would be filled with civilian controllers, US and Europeans, chattering away at how they were able to detect US 'stealth' aircrafts.

If the Russians wanted, they could use those meters length HF/UHF/VHF bands but the beam quality would be so poor that it would be worthless due to a characteristic called 'resolution cell'...

radar_resol_cell.jpg

Definition: radar resolution cell
The volume of space that is occupied by a radar pulse and that is determined by the pulse duration and the horizontal and vertical beamwidths of the transmitting radar. Note: The radar cannot distinguish between two separate objects that lie within the same resolution cell.

You are making the same mistake as everyone did when they so eagerly latched on that APA 'analysis' about the L-band. The reason why the L-band was used by the Russians is not because they have any credible data to back up their claim, but because the L-band was the best compromise they can come up with given the wavelength versus antenna shape versus antenna size demands. For the antenna, those demands came from the best locations the Russians can think of: Wing leading edges.

Whatever you say. Anyways, the words I used is "Passive Radar Detection", I didn't say there is a radar type called "Passive Radar"....there is an obvious difference. lol Look up RWR (Radar Warning Receiver), it is used for ....Passive Radar Detection and is claimed to be one of the primary strengths of the F-22. That's your style of semantics at play, once again. Besides wordplay, if a fighter always maneuvers outside the statistically effective reach of the seeking radar then by your logic, all the opponent has to do to win airspace is occupy that airspace while blasting their radar. Hey, air dominance by default! Like I said earlier, tactical thinking is not your forte. I'm sure there are situations where dogfights would occur, unless we accept your sort of logic and believe the LM propaganda that the F-35 can successfully engage everything from distant BVR ranges, even in the soon-to-be age of widespread stealth.
And you are telling me that tactical thinking is not my forte? :lol: With the speed and accuracy of today's air-air missiles, especially the radar guided type, an F-35 would down several enemy fighters blasting away with their radars in trying to think like you. That is the weakness of 'non-stealth' fighters trying to go up against 'stealth' fighters. They have to use their radars to attempt to acquire a target they know is extremely difficult to locate. In doing so they give themselves away. But if they do not transmit, they run a very high risk of letting the F-35 get by.

Soon-to-be widespread use of 'stealth'? Try another 20 yrs or so. And you can be confident that we are well on the way on how to deal with 'stealth', if not already.

Whatever you say. I am invested in gold and silver though. Something that is intricately related to the future direction of the American economy and its military hegemony, arguably to a greater extent than any weapons platform.
No wars have ever been won by financial speculators.

You are making the same mistake as everyone did when they so eagerly latched on that APA 'analysis' about the L-band. The reason why the L-band was used by the Russians is not because they have any credible data to back up their claim, but because the L-band was the best compromise they can come up with given the wavelength versus antenna shape versus antenna size demands. For the antenna, those demands came from the best locations the Russians can think of: Wing leading edges.

Exactemundo !!!

They do not have credible recent data. The F-117 paradigm has been studied. But no one has the F-22 or the F-35 one yet. It will be many years before one has those.

the L-band radar addition by the russians is another addition. It's not a panacea. As for most Air-traffic systems being in the L-band and the S-band. Yes they are, but they do not operate the same way.

Some of these can't pick up F-16s.

The Russians initially were fairly relaxed about the stealth bombers (B-1,B-2) because they knew the long wavelength radars of their air defence would allow them to know when these planes would have infiltrated their airspace. They then hoped they can hunt for them and find them up close.

You can't do the same with fighters though!

But what Gambit says, is very different. Knowing a plane is somewhere out there and knowing were it is, put a lock on it, mid course direct a missile to, and then let the missile turn on its little radar on to lock on the VLO target, are two vastly different things!

There are no credible evidence that the russians can direct missiles using an L-band radar. There is no evidence that such a missile capable of using such data for terminal phase lock on yet exists.

in a previous post I did kind of explain how the L-band is another measure taken by the russians to additionally equip their planes.

However Gambit has thrown a bluff on the poker table. The russians do not just add an L band radar. They say they will add an AESA L-band radar. ;)

Tactics and usage dictate how the equipment on a system will respond, and perform in battle space.

Thanks for confirming that the lower fuselage of the PAK FA looks almost identical to a regular Flanker.

Thanks for the picture my friend. :cheesy:

pakfa39.jpg

SU30MKIANALYSIS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom