What's new

today / 331 before Christ was the battle of Gaugamela

Reaction score
Country
Italy
There is a special day today. Italian newspapers make articles about the battle of Gaugamela, the battle that ended the persian empire.

Its crazy. Alexander won with his 40.000 soldiers against 200.000 persian troops.

Evrywhere in Italy we have paintings and mosaics which depicts this victory

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAsPAAAAJGZhNDUwM2FkLTUwODItNDI1Ny1hODI4LWMyMDM4YThlZjFmZA.jpg

Alexander was a military genius. The persian king prepared the battle field and Alexander noticed this. Darius formation was so big, that it could not change its tactics. While Alexanders troops did sleep, Darius and his troops had to stand in formation and wait until the greeks attack.

When the greeks attacked, they did so in a not expected way and simply walked around the persian formations. They let the persian battle groups run into empty space and then finished them off from behind. They then charged directly at the persian king, who did run away.

That the King of persia did run away was basicly the end for the persian empire.

That one is the only known mosaic (a very good Italian one) and its displays Issos...

Darius III retreated from Issos too, so retreating was a tactical method. The Persian empire had several defensive lines. Actually the real battle should have started within Iran, but it never came to that. The real fighting force was inside greater Iran, Issos and Gaugamela were lands of local non-Iranian people, with non-Iranian support forces.

Also never forget that history is written by the winner. So those numbers of 200.000 vs. 40.000 are to be taken with a grain of salt.

However we have to accept that Alexander was stronger at that point of time and more thirsty for glory.

That one is the only known mosaic (a very good Italian one) and its displays Issos...

Darius III retreated from Issos too, so retreating was a tactical method. The Persian empire had several defensive lines. Actually the real battle should have started within Iran, but it never came to that. The real fighting force was inside greater Iran, Issos and Gaugamela were lands of local non-Iranian people, with non-Iranian support forces.

Also never forget that history is written by the winner. So those numbers of 200.000 vs. 40.000 are to be taken with a grain of salt.

However we have to accept that Alexander was stronger at that point of time and more thirsty for glory.

The mosaic is from Pompeji.

After the loss of Gaugamela, Darius did not retreat. He simply run away in panic. That was his mistake i believe. In general i believe that Persia at that time suffered from bad leadership. Darius III was a weak king and bad leader.

That he did run away and left his troops behind him, ruined his renomee. I think that was also the reason why he was killed then.

There is a special day today. Italian newspapers make articles about the battle of Gaugamela, the battle that ended the persian empire.

Its crazy. Alexander won with his 40.000 soldiers against 200.000 persian troops.

Evrywhere in Italy we have paintings and mosaics which depicts this victory

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAsPAAAAJGZhNDUwM2FkLTUwODItNDI1Ny1hODI4LWMyMDM4YThlZjFmZA.jpg

Alexander was a military genius. The persian king prepared the battle field and Alexander noticed this. Darius formation was so big, that it could not change its tactics. While Alexanders troops did sleep, Darius and his troops had to stand in formation and wait until the greeks attack.

When the greeks attacked, they did so in a not expected way and simply walked around the persian formations. They let the persian battle groups run into empty space and then finished them off from behind. They then charged directly at the persian king, who did run away.

That the King of persia did run away was basicly the end for the persian empire.

both Meceden/Greek and Rome as political/military power are dead for almost 500 years but Iran is still here ... so don't try to act mighty for us ....

both Meceden/Greek and Rome as political/military power are dead for almost 500 years but Iran is still here ... so don't try to act mighty for us ....

We are the same people. We are the same power. Iran is arab. With all due respect. Iran is a developing country. I respect you, but we should stay realistic.

277k_1024px-naqsh_i_rustam._shapour.jpg

The two emperors of Rome were captured by Shapour another one was killed
During the rule of Shapur...

A glorious day when bloodthirsty and cowardly Iranians realised they were weak
a glorious day when Iranians ruled the world for more than two centuries,when there was no pakistan

Last edited:
277k_1024px-naqsh_i_rustam._shapour.jpg

The two emperors of Rome were captured by Shapour another one was killed
During the rule of Shapur...

We respect Shahpur. A great king. I think it was a mistake from us to not help Persia when it cried for help as the arab invasions destroyed it. The Roman / Persian wars were absolute nonsense. It was clear from day one that Persia cant win over Rome and that Rome cant win over Persia. In the end it weakened both empires and led to the death of persia. Which is tragic.

Similar maybe but not the same people and not the same power. one week you are german , next week italian, now Greek lol And Iran is not only arab its multiethinic with persian majority.

I´m never German. I lived in Germany during my apprenticeship. And you obviously dont know Italian / Roman history.

Italy is a mix of greeks and etruskans. So yes, we have the same ancestors as greeks. Thats also the reason why we have very close culture and old religion.

As for power, back then i would say Roman Empire had similar power than Persian Empire.

Today Italy has more power than Iran for obvious political, economic, religious and diplomatic reasons.

We respect Shahpur. A great king.
thank you
I think it was a mistake from us to not help Persia when it cried for help as the arab invasions destroyed it. The Roman / Persian wars were absolute nonsense. It was clear from day one that Persia cant win over Rome and that Rome cant win over Persia. In the end it weakened both empires and led to the death of persia. Which is tragic.
Persia destroyed as a empire not a nations,Persians had their own local government like samanian,bouye,taherian,safarian and ect...
if you say iran is arab because of her religion then you are not also same people with your ancestors,do you worship the Roman gods?or you are a Christian
and i dont think roman/persian wars were nonsense because if there were no that wars there was no total war Rome 2:smitten::smitten::smitten:(joking)
p3gg_xihaqbh.jpg

also Persians rises as empire during safavid afsharid era

thank you

Persia destroyed as a empire not a nations,Persians had their own local government like samanian,bouye,taherian,safarian and ect...
if you say iran is arab because of her religion then you are not also same people with your ancestors,do you worship the Roman gods?or you are a Christian
and i dont think roman/persian wars were nonsense because if there were no that wars there was no total war Rome 2:smitten::smitten::smitten:(joking)
p3gg_xihaqbh.jpg

also Persians rises as empire during safavid afsharid era

my ancestors created christianity. It was not put on us. Its the roman religion. I see it as a bad thing that Persia was lost.

The roman / persian wars wasted so much rescources on both sides for nothing

Roman Persian wars on one side, Iranians had to fight at two diametral fronts against (better say) Byzantines and in the east against Turks. This was the reason no blood was left to defend against Arabs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom