What's new

To ease Pak energy crisis, India sends officials with pipeline offer

Just a couple of quick question for any who can answer it:

How will Qatari gas get to India?

If liquified and transported by ship, why would it need to go to India first?

If transported by pipeline, the pipeline would have to go thru Pakistan into India, wouldn't it?

LNG transport by ship requires specialized terminals at both ends as well as specialized ships. If we invest in such a terminal, then we can get the gas imported directly from Qatar.

lol we do not need to import gas from any where we need to exploit out natural resources we should be the one to export

Indians are natural trolls. They will shut off supply whenever their media makes some bs story up.

Ganja is such a dumb@$$.

You are the bravest of all Pakistanis here, you ask Pakistanis to fight the good fight , live in misery of power shortage ALL FROM the basement of your parents house living it up in amreika :rofl:

There is an oxymoron in that hypocrisy - guess I should say there is an oxy---- moron in that hypocrisy :lol:

M_Id_391368_FP.jpg
Responding to the friendly overtures from Pakistan's new ruling party, a delegation of Indian officials is headed to Lahore on June 9 to offer natural gas supply through a pipeline to help ease the neighbour's energy crisis.

The decision, sources said, was taken at the top level on Monday, two days before Nawaz Sharif was sworn in as prime minister. India will offer to extend its gas pipeline to the Wagah border, after which Pakistan can take it to its users. The gas, amounting to 1.5 million tonnes per annum, would be sourced by India from Qatar and offered without charging a marketing premium.

"This is a test case before we enter into an agreement with Pakistan for the TAPI pipeline," a GAIL official said, referring to the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India pipeline. "This is a small step to win its confidence."

The official said the existing pipeline up to Jalandhar had surplus capacity because of a drop in domestic gas availability and its extension to Amritsar and into Pakistan would ensure better capacity utilisation.

qatar can go to hell.
fcuk qatar.
no thanks wel stick to our iran gas pipeline.

Gas is transported to India through ships. There is pipeline network in India but not being utilized completely. Plan is to extend it to Amritsar, and than into Pakistan if needed.

So I don't really get the logic - why go to India only to come back to Pakistan?

So I don't really get the logic - why go to India only to come back to Pakistan?

Possibly - India has the required storage facilities from where India will transport via pipeline. Not sure though.

For the benefit of the members I would like to share what little knowledge I have about LNG.

Compressed natural gas or CNG is mostly Methane and stored at about 3,000 psi (approx. 200 atmospheres).

Liquefied Natural Gas or LNG is natural gas stored as a cryogenic liquid at temperatures of around minus 165 deg C.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas or LPG is mainly Propane & Butane.

Propane boils at about -42 Dec C. However at a pressure of about 20 Atmospheres Propane will turn to liquid at ambient temperature. LPG can therefore be transported either under pressure or in refrigerated ships/vessels.

To liquefy methane you need at least 46 atmospheres pressure and also need to lower the temperature to -83 deg C. This would require strong & heavy containers. However, when cooled to about -164 deg C, Methane will liquefy. Currently two companies “Air Products LNG Process” & “ConocoPhillips Cascade Technology” dominated the construction of LNG production plants. A typical gas liquefication facility will cost about $5 to 6-billion.

Unless the countries are interconnected by land where a pipeline can be laid; only economic way to transport gas of any kind is to transport it in the liquid form. A typical LNG tanker of about 150,000 cubic meters capacity will cost about $200-million and will transport LNG at -162 deg C & 3.6 psi.

Per 2011 Industry data, world LNG production was about 240-million tons. Qatar dominating the market with about 30% market share supplying 75-million tons. Other large LNG exporters were Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, Nigeria, Algeria & Trinidad.

LNG cannot be used as it is. You need to boil it off and convert it into natural gas before it can be injected int to country's pipeline network.

On re gasification, one cubic meter of LNG will produce 634 cubic meter of natural gas. However on evaporation, LNG will take up a lot of heat from the environment, therefore a source of heat is required. The plant I visited a couple of years was a closed loop system using sea water and propane as circulating medium to boil off LNG. Regasification plants can be on shore or on a floating terminal.

To get an idea of the cost: I have recently come across a news item that Uruguay’s state-owned energy company Ancap is in the process of finalizing a 10-million cubic meter LNG per day ( 2.6-million ton per year) regasification facility at Montevideo. Spain’s Enagas, Norway's Hoegh LNG Holdings and a consortium formed by KoreaGas Corp and Samsung Heavy Industries Co have submitted bids to build the plant. Cost is reported to be in the region of $500-million.

As of now world top LNG importers are China, Japan, South Korea, UK, Spain & India.

India imported 8-million tons of LNG from Qatar in 2011. India LNG regasification installations are Dahej Terminal, Gujrat, Shell Hazira Terminal, Surat, Petronet LNG at Kochi and RGPPL LNG Terminal, Maharashtra.

I hope that this answers many of the questions about LNG raised in this thread.

Does Pakistan have regasification facilities? From what little knowledge had accumulated during the IPI/TAPI readings, was unable to find any. Which means even if you import the gas what do you do with it. I guess, that was the reason for the offer.

I could be wrong.

Does Pakistan have regasification facilities? From what little knowledge had accumulated during the IPI/TAPI readings, was unable to find any. Which means even if you import the gas what do you do with it. I guess, that was the reason for the offer.

I could be wrong.

No not yet. I have already replied this question in one of my earlier posts.
The project is pending because the PSO LNG award was disputed and the matter is with the Supreme Court. Only the Almighty knows when it will be decided.

However, there is no pipeline connection between Lahore & Jalandhar, a distance of about 120 Kilometres. Pipeline will also cost money and take time. LNG terminal would cost more money but would not require much longer than the time required for the construction of Lahore- Jalandhar pipeline.

I for one can’t seem to see any logic for getting Qatar gas via terminal situated on the Indian State of Gujarat. The solution will at best be temporary. Even if approved by the GOP; some zealot might object to it and get a stay order from the courts. Why not invoke SC to decide the LNG award case quickly and build your own at Port Qasim?

whats the current status of this exercise ???? -- "easing pak energy crisis by india"

LOL @ Drama Queens, First they make news from no where, than start acting like virgins on periods :omghaha:

No not yet. I have already replied this question in one of my earlier posts.
The project is pending because the PSO LNG award was disputed and the matter is with the Supreme Court. Only the Almighty knows when it will be decided.

However, there is no pipeline connection between Lahore & Jalandhar, a distance of about 120 Kilometres. Pipeline will also cost money and take time. LNG terminal would cost more money but would not require much longer than the time required for the construction of Lahore- Jalandhar pipeline.

I for one can’t seem to see any logic for getting Qatar gas via terminal situated on the Indian State of Gujarat. The solution will at best be temporary. Even if approved by the GOP; some zealot might object to it and get a stay order from the courts. Why not invoke SC to decide the LNG award case quickly and build your own at Port Qasim?

Actually, had read your answer and my question was rhetorical. I agree, its a temporary solution. And Pak will need its own regasification facilities soon. While I understand your point of view on putting emphasis on speeding up the project, most of the times in a democracy it involves processes, commissions, opinions and what not.

Keeping this in mind I guess, the GoP will hedge its bets by looking for supplies elsewhere also. From an Indian perspective, I think its a good gesture. And from Pakistan's perspective it is a hedge for further negotiation with Qatar on price.

What makes you think any govt would not try this out? you can easily shut it off if Pakistan does not act properly.

This is MY opinion , take or leave it. But I am also baffled as to why India keeps these overtures going. everyday Pakistan is supporting, funding, training terrorist, to use against India. I can't imagine US ever inviting Al queda and offering them overtures. You can't say it's their military or ISI and not the Pak govt. The buck stops with the govt.

What is worse is that you guys even allow that tool musharaff in your country- he should be arrested on the spot if he enters India. You need to learn from Israelis on how to handle JED or whatever terror groups they have in pakistan ... and you need to meddle in Baluchistan for some same medicine as pay back. This pacifist attitude among Indians is spineless

Pakistan's support to terrorism in India has reduced considerably. To remove long term issues between the two countries, we should start collaborating instead of thinking like enemy. MMS is on right track, we should do whatever we can to help NS. Good time to build relationship.

Back
Top Bottom