What's new

Iran has asked Pakistan to construct a portion of the Iran-Pakistan gasline,or be ready to pay a penalty of $18 billion.

I truly don't see why Pakistan isn't moving their backsides on this matter.
It is mutually beneficial, as well as being able to be used as a good bargaining tool in the future, if it becomes well established in other countries too.

People keep assuming its b/c of the US, no one is considering the Saudi Sugar daddies might shut off the gravy train for the generals and stop lending money if Pakistan builds the pipeline, I suspect that is the real reason, not as much related to the US.

Shameless. No honor in our word.

People keep assuming its b/c of the US, no one is considering the Saudi Sugar daddies might shut off the gravy train for the generals and stop lending money if Pakistan builds the pipeline, I suspect that is the real reason, not as much related to the US.
Bingo. but we could be getting more for the Saudis. Babur back int he day was courting both the ottomans and Savafids to get the best gunners and guns from both empires. If the Saudis want us to play ball, they need to pay up more.

1) Get Russians to build the pipeline all the way to India via Pakistan
2) Pipeline to be managed by Russians, for an annual fee.
3) Pakistan gets transit fee + small leverage over India. Pakistan can threaten to shutdown gas supply to India, in case tensions rise.
4) Iran/Russia offers financial guarantees to India - that in case gas is not supplied, penalties are paid to India.
What if India refuses to buy from Iran?

1) Get Russians to build the pipeline all the way to India via Pakistan
2) Pipeline to be managed by Russians, for an annual fee.
3) Pakistan gets transit fee + small leverage over India. Pakistan can threaten to shutdown gas supply to India, in case tensions rise.
4) Iran/Russia offers financial guarantees to India - that in case gas is not supplied, penalties are paid to India.
What if India refuses to buy from Iran?

Wow, 18 billion dollars?

I say Let's leave that pipeline, stick to that 18 billion dollars. :lol:

India is not stupid. We are already buying expensive oil from Iran by ships, through pipeline it would be much cheaper.
It has reduced after American sanctions.
Why put our interests at risk by keeping our resources in hands of Pakistan

Honestly, during the rule of Manmohan, Pakistan had a great chance for that. Energy is a big leverage. Turkey has been using that geographic advantage in its own favor. Unlike Pakistan, for whatever reason they lost this chance.

No pipeline can be built due to sanctions on Iran.

A pipeline can be built whether it's turned on is another question. Having built the pipeline Pakistan can argue "yeh sorry brah sanctions".

But as of now the only thing Iranians see is $Millions they put into an endeavor that Pakistan agree to but reneged on.

My best guess is that India will not solely rely on this pipeline. Ofcourse we will make other arrangements too. But as long as this route can be used, it should be used as its cheap.

Pakistan can’t do anything to be honest. May be this will turn out to be another agreement like IWT.

Even if they stop it for whatever reasons, we will still get compensation for it (I believe that’s how the agreements will be made between Iran and India).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom