What's new

Three youths assaulted in Chennai theatre for taking selfies during National Anthem

Hyper-nationalism and mob justice is the least we want in our society. What next? Kangaroo courts across the country with 5th class fails as Jury?

The best option was to hand them over to the police.

Hyper-nationalism and mob justice is the least we want in our society. What next? Kangaroo courts across the country with 5th class fails as Jury?

The best option was to hand them over to the police.
They did wrong with woman but still I think they learnt lesson, next time they will stand 5 minutes before national anthem start.

Last edited:
lesson i simple, dont insult national anthem.

main bhi jab movie dakhne jata hoon tab national anthem ko poori respect deta hoon, it's our duty.

agar jio ke lie 3 4 ghante line me khade reh sakte ho to desh ke lie 2 min khade rahne main kya jata hain ?

Chennai: Police file case against seven for not standing up during national anthem in movie theatre
The group reportedly got into a fight with other people in the audience who objected to them not getting up for the song.
26504-ayblpdgkbm-1480793724.jpg

Image credit: AFP/Money Sharma

Police in Chennai on Sunday registered a case against seven people for not standing up during the playback of the national anthem in a theatre, The Hindu reported. The seven also allegedly clicked photographs while the anthem was being played, which led to an altercation with another group who had come to watch the move being featured.

The police charged the seven under sections of the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971. A police officer said the accused seven were detained after a patrol team saw the two groups fighting outside the theatre. The officer said their inquiry revealed that the fight began after one person inside the movie hall questioned them for not standing up during the anthem.

However, one of the seven accused filed a separate complaint alleging that the group which fought with her had abused and threatened her. This is the first reported instance of a case being filed against a group for not standing up during the playback of the national anthem after a recent Supreme Court order on the matter.

During its November 30 ruling, the apex court had said that the national anthem must be accompanied by the national flag on the screen and everyone in the audience must stand up. The justices had added that the anthem should “not be printed on undesirable objects or be displayed in such a manner and at such places which may be disgraceful to its status and may tantamount to disrespect”. The court later said that doors of movie halls should not be bolted when the national anthem plays in theatres and exempted differently abled persons from standing up during the anthem.

If there is any law of the land which is against taking selfies during natioal anthem they should be convicted according to it . But this hooliganism and mob mentality belongs to stone age . Plus beating women wow !! .

Nobody was beaten. Indian media has a habit of converting "harrassment" into "assault". It was covered well by local media. They are law students and they thought they were above law. Infact after movie they called their friends who assaulted the complainant.

Originally I am not a fan of "Patriotism" in entertainment halls. This law should be repealed. Make law of compulsory anthem in schools instead. People come over there to enjoy movies. And Chennai theatres or ones in TN have never used Anthem before playing movies.

If there is any law of the land which is against taking selfies during natioal anthem they should be convicted according to it . But this hooliganism and mob mentality belongs to stone age . Plus beating women wow !! .
Agreed who are these idiots to touch any one? I think it looks like same old butt hurts of few drunk boys who are jealous to see these group of boys and girls. Police should first file FIR against these gang and then investigate if they dint stood up for National anthem. And should be warned and. Left. But these goons should be punished with attempt murder and disrespectful towards women and fellow citizens

You are underestimating Patriotism of South Indians. We will never forgive those who can't even stand up of our national anthem as if all others are fools to do it. And I too went to cinema yesterday. Was overwhelmed with joy when I saw whole place rebounded with National anthem in chorus. Wow. But matter should be investigated further. If they don't stand action should be taken even it can be warning for first time with few penalties. And no one have rights to hurt anyone. They can just complain take pictures as proof

I think no one here in Pakistan go berserk for such things..It's their choice.. what's wrong with it..I have been to Cinepax here in my city..there are people who don't stand in national anthem and take selfies etc but it doesn't hurt our nationalism..IMO people in Pakistan are more Mature ..no offence..

Nobody was beaten. Indian media has a habit of converting "harrassment" into "assault". It was covered well by local media. They are law students and they thought they were above law. Infact after movie they called their friends who assaulted the complainant.

Originally I am not a fan of "Patriotism" in entertainment halls. This law should be repealed. Make law of compulsory anthem in schools instead. People come over there to enjoy movies. And Chennai theatres or ones in TN have never used Anthem before playing movies.

Please can yo post its link

Chennai: Police file case against seven for not standing up during national anthem in movie theatre
The group reportedly got into a fight with other people in the audience who objected to them not getting up for the song.
26504-ayblpdgkbm-1480793724.jpg

Image credit: AFP/Money Sharma

Police in Chennai on Sunday registered a case against seven people for not standing up during the playback of the national anthem in a theatre, The Hindu reported. The seven also allegedly clicked photographs while the anthem was being played, which led to an altercation with another group who had come to watch the move being featured.

The police charged the seven under sections of the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971. A police officer said the accused seven were detained after a patrol team saw the two groups fighting outside the theatre. The officer said their inquiry revealed that the fight began after one person inside the movie hall questioned them for not standing up during the anthem.

However, one of the seven accused filed a separate complaint alleging that the group which fought with her had abused and threatened her. This is the first reported instance of a case being filed against a group for not standing up during the playback of the national anthem after a recent Supreme Court order on the matter.

During its November 30 ruling, the apex court had said that the national anthem must be accompanied by the national flag on the screen and everyone in the audience must stand up. The justices had added that the anthem should “not be printed on undesirable objects or be displayed in such a manner and at such places which may be disgraceful to its status and may tantamount to disrespect”. The court later said that doors of movie halls should not be bolted when the national anthem plays in theatres and exempted differently abled persons from standing up during the anthem.

Good then. I like it so much

But why do they display such old video of national flag. New video should be made.

in one instance Indians claim to be the biggest democracy in the world and in the other sentence people haven't got the freedom of right to either stand or sit during a national anthem.

a national anthem doesn't make someone a good human or bad person, making them stand forcefully for a national anthem is not very democratic.

Ever seen how many football players sing the English national anthem before a match, these infact are public figures who have huge responsibility on their shoulders and even they are given the right to either sing or not to sing the anthem.

India is so far from being a democracy its a joke, and if you don't believe me ask the people of Indian occupied kashmir how they feel about the 'bogus indian democracy'

Though I do agree with Cherokee to an extent on the women bit (I read that later to be honest). I've not grown up in a family where men raise their hands on women. Hope its typical yellow journalism and it was some self respecting women who did the honors.

Anyone who stands up for principles of respecting the national anthem will never raise their hands on a women, since he understands the concept of RESPECT. The kind that take pleasure in disrespecting the anthem is more likely to disrespect others.

As other reports have shown, the women in the gang that showed disrespect made a false complaint so that they can cry foul too.

It follows a standard pattern and in fact is a move right out of Al qaida handbook that tells the terrorist to play victim if they are ever arrested. Not to say they were members of al qaida but its a now commonly used tactics. To play into the media need for sensational news.

Its not only you who have grown up in a family where men don't raise their hands on women, most of us have. Your statement implies a further allegations that people who support this stand grew up in families that abuse women. You are old enough and smart enough to know the psy ops such seemingly simple sentences does.

Last edited:
Anyone who stands up for principles of respecting the national anthem will never raise their hands on a women, since he understands the concept of RESPECT. The kind that take pleasure in disrespecting the anthem is more likely to disrespect others.

As other reports have shown, the women in the gang that showed disrespect made a false complaint so that they can cry foul too.

It follows a standard pattern and in fact is a move right out of Al qaida handbook that tells the terrorist to play victim if they are ever arrested. Not to say they were members of al qaida but its a now commonly practice tactics. To play into the media need for sensational news.

Its not only you who have grown up in a family where en don't raise their hands on women, most of us have. Your statement implies a further allegations that people who support this stand grew up in families that abuse women. You are old enough and smart enough to now the psy ops such seemingly simple sentences does.

Son you definitely need to get laid.

Are you a pimp offering me a chance to get laid ? I hope you can keep your family business away from me and not get personal. You might not like it when I start returning your volleys.

Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom