What's new

Three more polio workers killed in Pakistan, bringing total to 7

It's a measure of Pakistan's degeneracy that we accept these things as normal, whether they are in Karachi or Peshawar.

This was to be expected. Killings in Pakistan are just taken as a routine everyday affair now.

Even airbase attacks are not seen with alot of awe. For example, in the first attacks like those of GHQ and PNS Mehran, there was much more tension in the air, and people were genuinely appalled by it. Now when an attack happens, people say 'oh, aik aur hamla ho gaya, kiya kahun main ab?'!

talibans are not stupid and they are not doing this without purpose , they are targeting anti polio campaign because the dont want to see Polio free Pakistan and if we dont succeed in eradicating polio in next few years (like other countries did) we have to face restrictions of traveling to other countries by WHO and other international UN agencies .
Failure of Polio eradication campaign will help them to achieve their agenda of destabilizing Pakistan

Operation in Karachi by police against extremists involved in killing polio workers, 6 have been arrested and 2 dead.

It's a measure of Pakistan's degeneracy that we accept these things as normal, whether they are in Karachi or Peshawar.

well not normal but just giving the view that many people use pretext of vaccination to settle the score.

These are much more damaging than the attack on GHQ, Mehran or Kamra were.. These, if successful will cripple the future generations of Pakistan via this deadly disease.. I hope there is as much if not more outrage in Pakistan against these attacks as there was when the military assets were attacked

This was to be expected. Killings in Pakistan are just taken as a routine everyday affair now.

Even airbase attacks are not seen with alot of awe. For example, in the first attacks like those of GHQ and PNS Mehran, there was much more tension in the air, and people were genuinely appalled by it. Now when an attack happens, people say 'oh, aik aur hamla ho gaya, kiya kahun main ab?'!

Smart countries learn from bad experiences and adapt.
- Israeli society is very vigilant and has seen almost complete absence of suicide bombings.
- US learned from 9/11 and made fundamental changes.
- Mumbai police learned from their fight with underworld gang wars to make Mumbai safer.
- Pakistan ... ????

talibans are not stupid and they are not doing this without purpose , they are targeting anti polio campaign because the dont want to see Polio free Pakistan and if we dont succeed in eradicating polio in next few years (like other countries did) we have to face restrictions of traveling to other countries by WHO and other international UN agencies .
Failure of Polio eradication campaign will help them to achieve their agenda of destabilizing Pakistan

More importantly, they want to scare foreigners (and foreign investment) away from Pakistan by making it a lawless frontier-land - a Somalia in the making. An economically destitute society provides lots of recruits for their agenda.

I am an Indian and most of what I say is likely to be misconstrued as being anti Pakistani.

Still , I must say that what is incomprehensible is that how can a whole nation comprising of ppl who individually detest the terrorists for what the do & stand for and what they are doing to their nation but collectively can do nothing to stop this small % of men who are ruining never mind the nation even the families and family lives of the ppl of Pakistan ?

Indians are no better , we too most times are a nation of sheep . Yet when Anna Hazare took a stand the nation rallied. It did it least convey the nations mind to those whom it matters to.

We cannot allow ourselves to be doormats.

I am an Indian and most of what I say is likely to be misconstrued as being anti Pakistani.

Still , I must say that what is incomprehensible is that how can a whole nation comprising of ppl who individually detest the terrorists for what the do & stand for and what they are doing to their nation but collectively can do nothing to stop this small % of men who are ruining never mind the nation even the families and family lives of the ppl of Pakistan ?

Indians are no better , we too most times are a nation of sheep . Yet when Anna Hazare took a stand the nation rallied. It did it least convey the nations mind to those whom it matters to.

We cannot allow ourselves to be doormats.

Fundamental difference between India and Pakistan is that your democracy, however imperfect, is still mostly working. In Pakistan, people know that there is absolutely no point in taking a stand since the entire law enforcement system is bogus.

If the criminals have sympathizers in the feudal/ethnic elite, they will walk free. The LeJ, which is a terrorist organization and kills Shias, is reputed to have close links to PML-N (one of the two main political parties). Similar alliances exist with many other criminal organizations. When criminals have such high level support, it's already a lost cause.

Worse still, if the public pressure mounts, the cops will simply lock up some random innocent people just to close the case.

I was in New York on 11 September 2001, standing near one of the TV screens in the media section of Unicef's communication division, where I headed up Unicef's global communication work on immunisation. As the second plane crashed into the twin towers, we were quickly evacuated out of Unicef headquarters. I remember looking at the tall UN secretariat on First Avenue, home of the UN security council and the office of the UN secretary general. The building had always struck me as looking so graceful, but that morning it just looked like another ideal terrorist target. In fact, I never looked at the UN secretariat building with the same eyes again, and the impacts of that day – and the weeks and months that followed – were just the beginning of a changed, less trusting, anxious world.

The impacts of that day in New York became an unexpected thread in my Unicef work and the current research I lead at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, where we monitor trends in vaccine confidence globally.

Last week's call by the World Health Assembly for an emergency response to polio eradication is not unrelated to the news that Dr Shakil Afridi has been convicted of treason in Pakistan and sentenced to 33 years in prison. Dr Afridi, former surgeon general of the Khyber agency, was central to the CIA-led fake vaccination drive used to confirm the presence of Osama bin Laden in his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

The news of Dr Afridi's role did not emerge until a Guardian article in July 2011, when it shook the immunisation world. Although Dr Afridi had pretended to provide a hepatitis B vaccination, not normally a door-to-door delivery, the news had a particularly strong impact on those working in polio eradication, where door-to-door vaccination is the norm. Anxieties and distrust about the polio vaccine and its western providers were rampant in some communities, and suspicions about CIA links with the polio vaccination campaigns, and rumours they were a front for the sterilising of Muslims, had been around for a decade after 9/11. After years of working to dispel myths about CIA links to the polio eradication efforts – from northern Nigeria to Pakistan and India, all of the work seemed fruitless.

It is no coincidence that the remaining three countries in the world which have polio endemics are Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Yes, there are geographical challenges and financial challenges. And, yes, finding Bin Laden has been a global security priority. But deep-seated suspicions about the motives of those who provide polio vaccines have persisted in some circles from Nigeria to Pakistan, and the CIA's choice of immunisation as a strategy to find Bin Laden has only given credence to the conspiracies.

There must have been a better, more ethical, way. This choice of action has jeopardised people's trust in vaccines, and in particular the polio-eradication campaign, now so close to success – broken trust that will take years to restore. Was this strategy worth this sacrifice of trust and the loss of opportunity for the final eradication of a disease scourge – another threat to human security? These are actions where the age-old Hippocratic oath might have urged caution.
The CIA's fake vaccination drive has damaged the battle against polio | Heidi Larson | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Seems like Indian funded taliban are doing all these activities :angry: GOD BLESS PAKISTAN :pakistan:

Well , i support , in future world will ban PAK people to travel aboard ot with much restrictions,

Thank you CIA and shakeel afridi thank you very much. You b@stards couldnt come up with any other way to find the dna of that b@stard that you claim to have killed. Now these animals are using that as an excuse and the poor souls and the poor children of Pakistan will have to bare the brunt of it.

Why is everyone in Pakistan after Polio vaccine providers life? Shakeel afridi did a great service to the nation by helping in getting rid of disgrace to humanity called Osama. Pakistani's should be proud of him but it seems they wanted the terror master to live longer and safe in their lands that they declared Afridi an outcast and now targeting every other polio worker for no crime of theirs. Is this a justified behavior? Such idiots attacking polio workers should be caught and punished as per the law. They are not part of the civilized world and people should realize that by siding with them they are only encouraging such a culture. It's not a healthy sign for a nation. If you need to grow then you need to throw this mentality away.

Thank you CIA and shakeel afridi thank you very much. You b@stards couldnt come up with any other way to find the dna of that b@stard that you claim to have killed. Now these animals are using that as an excuse and the poor souls and the poor children of Pakistan will have to bare the brunt of it.

Dude, Shakeel Afridi or CIA is not a problem but the problem is you people are letting these insane minds growing to position of strength in the society. Please don't blame Osama incident for these acts because these fools would have found one reason or the other for doing what they want to do. Understand their way of thinking/their ideology is the problem and I believe you should help your self and others in getting rid of these animals and trust me all of Pakistan's problem will be solved.

Back
Top Bottom