What's new

Three more polio workers killed in Pakistan, bringing total to 7

well thanks for your great concern, but may you could remember it all started happening since , CIA start using dr. shakeel afridi to hunt OBL, just because of that horrible fact , trust of the pakistani nation has been !

Save your bullshit for threads that dont impact the lives and health of children

From 2007 long before OBL

The parents of 24,000 children in northern Pakistan refused to allow health workers to administer polio vaccinations last month, mostly due to rumours that the harmless vaccine was an American plot to sterilise innocent Muslim children.
The disinformation - spread by extremist clerics using mosque loudspeakers and illegal radio stations, and by word of mouth - has caused a sharp jump in polio cases in Pakistan and hit global efforts to eradicate the debilitating disease.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recorded 39 cases of polio in Pakistan in 2006, up from 28 in 2005. The disease is concentrated in North-West Frontier Province, where 60% of the refusals were attributed to "religious reasons".

"It was very striking. There was a lot of anti-American propaganda as well as some misconceptions about sterilisation," said Dr Sarfaraz Afridi, a campaign manager with the WHO in Peshawar.

The scaremongering and appeals to Islam echoed a similar campaign in the Nigerian state of Kano in 2003, where the disease then spread to 12 polio-free countries over the following 18 months. Pakistan is one of just four countries where polio remains endemic. The others are Nigeria, India and Afghanistan. The North-West Frontier Province government made strenuous efforts to counter talk of an "infidel vaccine". Health workers fanning across the province last month were equipped with copies of a fatwa, or religious order, endorsing the vaccinations and signed by Maulana Fazlur Rehman and Qazi Hussain Ahmed, the leaders of Pakistan's most powerful religious parties.

The move reassured many doubters. More than 5.7 million children were vaccinated in January, with another 3 million targeted in a second round due to start next Tuesday. "The elephant is over. We are left with just the tail," said Dr Afridi.

But the tail has a deadly sting. Even though only 24,000 children missed the vaccine, the WHO officials said failure to vaccinate in small pockets of the country gave the virus a fresh toehold to spread.

The vaccination struggle is entangled with the confrontation between the government and powerful militants in the tribal areas. Refusals were highest in areas where conservative clerics and self-styled "Pakistani Taliban" fighters hold sway, flouting government authority and making their own strict laws.
Polio cases jump in Pakistan as clerics declare vaccination an American plot | World news | The Guardian

Stop trying to blame others for the actions of your beloved taliban

Hospital and primary care is not the same in Pakistan as it is in the developed world, in a majority of cases; babies are delivered by dai's (local midwives). And because there is no such thing as an (immunization record) for children, nor a national medical record, it is imperative that community health visitors deliver such services as immunization, WASH advice and Family Planning.

Once again, why bother giving polio drops to people who don't want it. The midwife system, I was in Pak a few months ago and poorest of the poor were taking their wives to hospitals for birth and kids for vaccination.

It's only the stubborn bunch who want to live in ignoranance. Leave them be. Nine out ten times their kids grow up to be a strain on the society, financially and culturally, just like their parents. Its a harsh thing to say but it's gotta be said.

Once again, why bother giving polio drops to people who don't want it. The midwife system, I was in Pak a few months ago and poorest of the poor were taking their wives to hospitals for birth and kids for vaccination.

It's only the stubborn bunch who want to live in ignoranance. Leave them be. Nine out ten times their kids grow up to be a strain on the society, financially and culturally, just like their parents. Its a harsh thing to say but it's gotta be said.

You can't. If the virus exists in the population, risk exists & Pakistan will never become polio free. Much better to immunise the whole population & eradicate the virus instead of resigning yourselves to continue a polio campaign for another century.

ISLAMABAD: In a string of attacks in
Pakistan, unidentified gunmen killed at
least five female and one male health
workers who were employed with a UN-
backed programme to immunize
children from polio, an endemic disease
in the country. Five health workers, four
of them women, were killed in three
different locations in the port city of
Karachi while another female health
worked was gunned down in the
suburbs of Peshawar on Tuesday.
Saghir Ahmed, health minister of Sindh
province, has issued an order to stop the
anti-polio drive in the province in the
wake of the attacks. "The government
has told 24,000 workers involved in polio
vaccination that it is suspending the
anti-polio drive in Sindh province," he
said. In Karachi, unknown assailants
targeted polio vaccination teams in
Landhi, Mochko and Orangi areas.
In Landhi area two female health
workers were killed on the spot while
another one was killed in Mochko. Two
health workers were killed in Orangi.
"The firing in Orangi town killed one
female worker on spot while a male
worker was seriously wounded and died
in hospital," said Dr Shafiq, head of the
polio team. According to agency reports,
unknown gunmen targeted a polio
vaccination team in Peshawar and
injured a 14-year-old girl who later
died.
No militant group has claimed
responsibility for the attacks yet.
Pakistani Taliban had issued several
warnings in the past against the polio
vaccination programme.

May i ask, when you were in Pakistan, did you happen to observe this in Punjab or Sindh, because i can tell you on good authority that in rural parts of the country, even as central as Bhakkar District, the families prefer to have the case delivered at home from a dai. This is not stubbornness, there is no such thing as medicare in Pakistan, medical care costs money and it can cost anywhere from a few thousand to 600,000 for a delivery depending which hospital you have it at.

Considering that the average mazdur (laborer) earns less than 200 rupees dihari(daily wage), that is a lot of money. Now consider the post natal care of mum and baby, medicines are very costly in Pakistan and hospitals will not provide you with these. In Government hospitals, they will simply issue you with a prescription to purchase the meds form a chemist.

Not everyone can afford to live in the center of town and will often have to travel, travelling with a full term mum is impossible on public transport like wagons or QiingQi/Motorbike. So this means renting an Private Ambulance which is 200 Rupees per 5km or renting a cab.

Now add the admission costs for the hospital, which is insanely expensive for the average Pakistani to afford. Add to this the cost of medications, considering that a bottle of Sancose-D (cough syrup) costs 27 rupees, imagine the cost of sutures etc. Add to this the costs of hospital bed and charges and it soon becomes impossible for the average person to afford this type of care.

Hence the working classes have no option but to resort to local midwifery.

It's only the stubborn bunch who want to live in ignoranance.
There is a very big difference between ignorance and living in abject poverty. Pet bahro gey ya tika lagao gey? If you are an illiterate parent trying to take care of a family, which option would you choose? Tika ya Roti?

Nine out ten times their kids grow to be just a strain on the society, financially and culturally, just like their parents.

I am appalled at that statement, you clearly are not a parent, because otherwise you would never make such a cold and callus statement, remember these are CHILDREN, we are talking about, it is the responsibility of the STATE to ensure that communities are provided access to community health care workers.

Secondly, This is not the UK ya US where you have a welfare system to help lazy everyone, where children grow fat and useless sitting in front of a PS3 stuffing their faces. In Pakistan as i am sure you are aware, everyone carries their own weight in one way or another:
overweight-child-eating-junk-711736.jpg

VS.

pindiboys_550x375.jpg

child-labor.jpg

Chid_labor_Pakistan.jpg

1339dfdfdfd575981960.jpg

2186423086_2581dde8f1.jpg

child+labour+articles+of+newspapers.jpg

I am having extreme difficulty digesting some of the things that you just uttered. Do you even have a soul? :blink:

Save your bullshit for threads that dont impact the lives and health of children

From 2007 long before OBL

Polio cases jump in Pakistan as clerics declare vaccination an American plot | World news | The Guardian

Stop trying to blame others for the actions of your beloved taliban

& keep ur unholy crap, strk in your unholy mouth, it all about pakistan , where CIA hve used innocent pakistanis for the sake of unlawfull actions according to our laws?
I don't & will never support guys like OBL, bt it was pakistan,s legall right, that if he has tobe found on pakistani soil , he should hve faced pakistani law!
I condeme & would like to see animals who, hve killed the polio-workers been slaughtered in front,of whole pakistani nation!
Now keep ur un-holy crap rounded in ur unholy head!

Yes, I have a soul. And I am a parent. And I've seen what most of the kids belonging to poor families do. First their parents are ignorant enough to have ten plus kids despite their fincial constraints. On average, a poor family in Pak has about 7-9 kids. Then they complain, they can't provide for them, they can't go to hospitals.

So why did you bother having so many kids? I'll tell you why, kids for them is a labor ticket, who will work and bring in money and food. That's it. When things don't go according to plan, then they poison and kill their kids, citing impoverishment.

When their kids grow up a little, they put them to work and society has to take over. Send them to school, give them education, when they don't, these kids become criminals and thugs. Loot and kill people and businesses for money as they grow older.

When you know this outcome, then why bother risking your neck saving them in the first place. I admit its a harsh and cruel thing to say, but someone has to say it. I am labelled a soulless and a heartless person for saying this but what about those poor parents who despite their impoverished lifestyle bear a dozen kids, poison them, put them to work and deprive them of basic health needs.

Those must be pitied and sympathized with.

There is a wrong perception deliberately mentioned in Article and couple of people blaming Pushtuns over here.

There is no Pushtun movement Pushtuns have suffered the most whether in KPK or Baluchistan, This is a Taliban Jahilia movement. Objectives are putting terror in people across Pakistan.

Tricky, putting blame on whole of Pushtuns while neglecting sindhi movement runned by Political Parties PPP-MQM...

A senior health official says gunmen have killed four women working on a government polio vaccination campaign in the Pakistan's largest city, Karachi.

Sagher Ahmed
, health minister for surrounding Sindh province, says the gunmen on Tuesday also wounded two men who were with the women.

The Taliban have spoken out against polio vaccination in recent months, claiming the health workers are acting as spies for the U.S. and the vaccine itself causes harm.

Ahmed says the shootings took place in a Karachi area populated by ethnic Pashtuns. The Taliban are a Pashtun movement, and many militants are reported to be hiding in these communities in Karachi.

On Monday, police said a gunman killed a volunteer for the World Health Organization's anti-polio campaign in Karachi.

Gunmen Kill 4 Female Polio Workers in Pakistan - ABC News

What a way to malign Pashtuns. Need a scapegoat for your problems or need to blame your crimes on someone else? Blame the Pashtuns, its the easiest way to get away with everything.

Sometimes i sympathize with the Baluch and Pashtun Nationalists sentiments, they really do deserve a separate country of their own for all the dirt they have to take from the self proclaimed superiority complex stricken champions of Pakistan the Sindhis, MQMers, and Punjabies.

What A shame , Only countries hinder the polio eradication from the world is Muslims countries, PAK, Afghanistan and .....

Pakistan still has severe polio problems and stoppage of these outreach programmes will only hinder the betterment.

There have been lot of attacks lately,looks like the temporary peace time is vanishing

We need Scholar like you in India, coz in India Muslim use to say "Allah Tala ki marzi hai, jitna de utna sahi" . I don't know what your Islam says, but trust me there are many mulla who will not agree with you...

Same story with old orthodox Hindus, My grandparent were against family planning, but that is 2 generation old story.

I don't know which Islam you follow, but trust me your Islam is not followed in Indian subcontinent. If it would, the Muslims in India would not have grown from 8% to 25% in just 60 years...

well it is none of my concern about what indian muslims think that is your concern! but you generalizing and saying nonsense is my concern! so please don't generalize it is like me saying all hindus are RSS and Shiv sena!

indian growth of population is not being discussed here. however, your statement about if god has given you a virus then it is his will and you should not get it vaccinated IS NOT true for any muslim regardless of his belief. muslims believe in medicine infact they have done alot in that field! so please don't just put opinon and not own it up

What A shame , Only countries hinder the polio eradication from the world is Muslims countries, PAK, Afghanistan and .....

ever wonder who is doing this? clearly not saudi or irani sponsered muslim elements! the problem lies eastwards!

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- Health workers administering polio vaccinations came under fresh attack in Pakistan on Wednesday, a troubling development in a nation that remains one of three in the world where the disease has yet to be eradicated.
Three workers were killed in separate attacks, a day after five others died in similar circumstances.
All of them were part of a massive vaccination campaign nationwide.
The attacks prompted authorities to suspend the campaign in Balochistan and Sindh, two of four provinces that make up the country.
Officials are considering whether to broaden the suspension to include the other two.
Read more: At the U.N., a vow to eradicate polio by 2015
In Wednesday's attacks:
-- Two men opened fire on an 18-year-old worker as he was vaccinating children on the outskirts of the northwestern city of Peshawar. The worker died of bullet wounds to the head, said Dr. Janbaz Afridi, the provincial director of the polio campaign.
-- Gunmen opened fire on a car carrying a vaccination campaign supervisor and her driver in Charsadda -- killing them both.
-- Also in Charsadda, two female workers narrowly escaped when some men began shooting at them.
-- Three other female workers also escaped unhurt when they were shot at in Nowshera district.
All the attacks Wednesday took place in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, a province rife with Islamic extremists.
On Tuesday, five workers were killed: four in Karachi; and a 14-year-old volunteer in Peshawar as she and her sister were leaving a house after administering vaccines.
Pakistanis have viewed polio vaccination campaigns with suspicion after the CIA's use of a fake vaccination program last year to collect DNA samples from residents of Osama bin Laden's compound to verify the al Qaeda leader's presence there.
Bin Laden was killed by U.S. forces in May 2011.
In June, a Taliban commander in northwest Pakistan announced a ban on polio vaccines for children in the region as long as the United States continues its campaign of drone strikes in the region, the Taliban said.
CNN was not able to reach the Taliban for comment regarding the latest attacks.
Polio, a highly infectious viral disease that can cause permanent paralysis in a matter of hours, has been eradicated around the world except for three countries where it is endemic: Pakistan, Nigeria and Afghanistan.
After the number of cases spiked sharply last year, Pakistan stepped up its eradication efforts. The numbers fell from 173 last year to 53 this year, according to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
Polio workers come under fresh attack in Pakistan - CNN.com
This is serious I don't think it is Taliban it needs to be investigated or other wise we are doomed

Back
Top Bottom