What's new

There Was No Reason To Go For Only 8 New F16's:-----

I don't know much about these things but we should have some confidence in PAF command. We know little. They know the full picture.

If I was to hazard a guess I would say these F-16s are a stop gap measure for until major change down the road. F-16 is a potent fighter and in addition to the present fleet we have makes economic sense till over the horizon times comes for next generation fighter. That is when major change will take place.

Don't shoot me if what I said makes no sense. I admit I know dick*shit on this subject. My major is all things India in particular all things ugly India like starvation and human beasts of India pulling rickshaws.

*Anybody want enlightening on those subjects give us a shout. I will be happy to give "full spectrum" presentation.
the PAF seems to be the only one starving for now :lol:

No one was expecting a single new brand F16 yesterday so be happy we can soon have one infact 8.

Eik tu mil rahey hain kuch os per be itna rola maachaya hua hai ...never satisfied quam we are

I firmly believe that once IAF officially announce Rafael deal then PAF will start lobbying for a twin engine superiority plane in their inventory and with a major order - till than we will be just adding single digit numbers in our F16 inventory to keep things a float. For a twin engine plane, we need considerable financial resources and a bit of infrastructure overhaul so heavy Indian purchase will force Govt to have a similar deal for PAF. Till than defense budget will remain thin.

Last edited:
May be 8 F-16s are just the appetizer , who knows the main course could be Russian or Chinese .

I will love to see some twin engines in the skies of Sargodha .

I firmly believe that once IAF officially announce Rafael deal then PAF will start lobbying for twin engine superiority plane in their inventory and for a major order till than we will just adding single digit numbers in our F16 inventory to keep things a float. For a twin engine plane, we need considerable financial resources and a bit of infrastructure overhaul so heavy Indian purchase will force Govt to have a similar deal for PAF. Till than defense budget will remain thin.

I would be surprised if this happens anytime sooner than at least decade. Till then the F-16 fleet will the the tip of the spear. Beyond that I expect Chinese fighter technology to begin to mature. That is where I think we will witness the next sea change in PAF's front line inventory.

For now more of the same.

No one was expecting a single new brand F16 yesterday so be happy we can soon have one infact 8.

Eik tu mil rahey hain kuch os per be itna rola maachaya hua hai ...never satisfied quam we are

Hi,

We already had an approval of 18 F16's blk 52's that just recently got expired---because we had not made the decision yet.

Instead of seeing it through a military or strategic prism, this deal of 8 F-16s is political in nature, sending a message that US is serious about engaging Pakistan.

You may be aware that leaked Wikileaks cables had quoted US diplomatic officials as having said that the “PAF is obsessed with F-16s” and the fighters have “an inflated symbolic importance in the public imagination”. PAF’s operations chief, Air Vice Marshal Khalid Chaudhry, was quoted in a cable of March 2006 as telling a visiting Pentagon official John Hillen to “ensure the F-16 deal has enough sweeteners to appeal to the public… (such as smart bombs and night vision)… but not to offer the PAF things it cannot afford.”

In a nutshell, this deal is nothing more than a political sop as these eight F-16s are not going to alter the military balance between India and Pakistan.

However, it needs to be mentioned that this is not a gift from the US. Pakistan will be paying in hard currency. And that is, $40-47 million a unit depending on the terms and conditions.

Hi,

We already had an approval of 18 F16's blk 52's that just recently got expired---because we had not made the decision yet.

Which also suggests that we are not interested in having large number of "new" F16s. So there is always a roam for a major order which only can be a twin engine air superiority plane. Buying 8 new F16s won't effect our pockets much anyways. Once India have their deal done, than can PAF have a good reason to persuade Nawaz Govt to increase the budget.

Needless to say, dehati aurut and his Shiv Sena goons are trying their best to make Pakistan increase her defense budget indirectly.

I really don't understand this decision either.....If they just want to test the block 60 F-16, then even one or two aircrafts would be sufficient and if they really want to add this aircraft to PAF inventory, then buy 3 - 4 squadrons. But 8 is just waste of money and I think this decision is more politically motivated than technical or strategic concerns.

PAF just drop USA and go for other sources Su-35 is a great aircraft and would really strengthen the air defence of Pakistan and strike capability. I really don't know when will they understand; after so many betrayal by USA over the decades and still their behaviour is bad
Maybe it's just to fill gap and they will plan to buy stuff from China as they're producing some 5th gen planes starting 2019.

Which also suggests that we are not interested in having large number of "new" F16s. So there is always a roam for a major order which only can be a twin engine air superiority plane. Buying 8 new F16s won't effect our pockets much anyways. Once India have their deal done, than can PAF have a good reason to persuade Nawaz Govt to increase the budget.

Also dehati aurut and his Shiv Sena goons are trying their best to make Pakistan increase her defense budget indirectly.

I prefer we don't go for dual jets. We need to balance our budget, produce electricity and so many other things. Each plane costs 50m or so, so 20 planes, that's $1b. We can create say 1000mw electricity with $1b, which can help increase our taxes etc.

You go shop expensive stuff when country's economic outlook is good. As people say, why make metro when we need hospitals. Why get fighters when we need hospitals as well.

Instead of seeing it through a military or strategic prism, this deal of 8 F-16s is political in nature, sending a message that US is serious about engaging Pakistan.

You may be aware that leaked Wikileaks cables had quoted US diplomatic officials as having said that the “PAF is obsessed with F-16s” and the fighters have “an inflated symbolic importance in the public imagination”. PAF’s operations chief, Air Vice Marshal Khalid Chaudhry, was quoted in a cable of March 2006 as telling a visiting Pentagon official John Hillen to “ensure the F-16 deal has enough sweeteners to appeal to the public… (such as smart bombs and night vision)… but not to offer the PAF things it cannot afford.”

In a nutshell, this deal is nothing more than a political sop as these eight F-16s are not going to alter the military balance between India and Pakistan.

However, it needs to be mentioned that this is not a gift from the US. Pakistan will be paying in hard currency. And that is, $40-47 million a unit depending on the terms and conditions.
Do you really think that currently 70 plus vipers in PAF inventory were supplied by US as a gift ??

Hi,

This news about pacing the order of 8 new F 16's came as a surprise from nowhere---. It was not 18---it was not 28---it was not 36----it was not 48---but it was 8 F16's---.

Was this some kind of a joke that the PAF hierarchy is playing on the public of Pakistan. What is the purpose behind the purchase of these 8 aircraft---. If the air force is so confident in the F 16---then why did it not go for another 2 to 3 sqdrn's.

For some strange reason the Pakistani air force is missing at what aircraft is the real need of Pakistan----.

Pakistan air force needs to understand that it is not its needs and desires that need to be met----it is the strategic need of what is important for Pakistan that needs to be acquired and not the other way around---.

The strategic need for Pakistan is a twin engine heavy air superiority and strike aircraft-----that has a loiter time of around 4 + hours---has air to air refueling capabilities or buddy refueling capabilities----and has a strike radius of at least 2000 miles---.

40 years ago----Paf had dedicated bomber aircraft in its fleet----even 33 years ago---they had the bombers----now for some strange reason---this bomber fleet has totally disappeared from the PAF manifest and replaced by smaller aircraft---. Even though these aircraft are very efficient and can carry the load of the 40 old aircraft----but then in comparison---the current day heavies strike aircraft can carry 3---10 times the weight of those bombers.

The PAF air chief needs to come out in the open and talk publicly the reason behind this purchase---because the new F16's don't bring anything new to the table.

The focus should have been on a twin engine like the J11D---The SU35---the Eurofighter. This procurement s just like throwing a monkey wrench into the gears.

8 new F16 bring nothing to the table----they do not change anything in the arena----and neither would 16 f16's either---. But if it were 16 J11's or 16 SU35's----that would start to change the game in the arena---.

The primary procurement at this time should have been a heavy air superiority strike fighter aircraft---and not the lightweight F16.

Hi!
Do you work at the air head quarters in some capacity or at the very least are currently serving in the PAF (in either case you would not be allowed by the respective authorities to be on a public forum). In recent history you have made posts that honestly serve no purpose but to eek out replies from fan boys and create sensation. I have said it before and I will say it again the PAF is not a group of ludo playing boys and girls, its a professional organization with vast knowledge of its requirements, future and present in a multi scenario environment. The PAF and its command is well aware of its needs and short comings and has a strategy as to how to meet them. It is well worth our time to talk about what the additional F16's are going to do for us rather than extrapolate and create a frenzy about how the PAF is missing the point on not getting long range fighter/bombers. Well Mr. Mastan you don't know, so stay tuned and discuss what you do know .i.e. we get 8 additional f16s.

@MastanKhan Uncle sam offered Pakistan not the other way around
You are not living in 50s Bomber , bombers are cheap in which it can save sorties and can bring destruction in bigger time but if you compare older bombers birds with modern jet you will see the difference, Pakistan dont need a bomber Period . Why is that bcz they will be sitting ducks you wont deploy them against some militia who doesnt know anything about sams you are putting them against one of the biggest airforce and modern air force which has better combo of hi to low end sam system
Whats with twin jet Pakistan isnt getting twin jets no matter how much people b**** about pdf or some random guy says we need this and that
1st they wont have infrastructure 2nd it time consuming and waste of money and resources just because to boost ego of some random keyboard warriors
Paf soul reason is to protect its borders from incoming threats which f16 can perform very well there there is no aircraft in indian inventory which f16 cant beat
Even if Pakistan get these 8 birds block 50+you know much advantage will Pakistan get with this bird it will save time ,money, resources
You all keep blaming PAF for being a incompetent just answer one thing for no where paf raised a squadern of birds while india is been talking for years to add a new single bird
They are way better at there jobs than most of you keyboard warriors think

Valid points. Frankly I don't put too much store on the number or of type of fighters we have. As long as PAF can do "bread and butter" stuff all is fine. The real Pak defence lies in nuclear posture we maintain. As long as that exists everything else is secondary. Our strategic nuclear missiles and battlefield cruise missiles assure a bite that India would not dare provoke.

And I suspect Pakistan will pay hard currency but all of it will be "milched" CSF dollars recirculated. After all what are superpowers for? You have your holy cows we have our "milch cash cow" > America.

Maybe it's just to fill gap and they will plan to buy stuff from China as they're producing some 5th gen planes starting 2019.

I prefer we don't go for dual jets. We need to balance our budget, produce electricity and so many other things. Each plane costs 50m or so, so 20 planes, that's $1b. We can create say 1000mw electricity with $1b, which can help increase our taxes etc.

You go shop expensive stuff when country's economic outlook is good. As people say, why make metro when we need hospitals. Why get fighters when we need hospitals as well.

You are right but frankly speaking PAF has not not made any significant purchase in more than a decade. Most of the F16s we got in 10 yrs time are either from coalition funds or upgraded planes which are obviously lesser in price. PAF has her program JF17 which cost less and in a way creates job with in the country. So with keeping hostile Indian govt in mind and our ageing fighter planes fleet, CPEC taking place, PAF is due to have a major order especially for sea based security.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom