What's new

The reality of Iraq and why bombings are commonly used in Baghdad

moosh is obsessed with sunni vs shia
so doritos i guess was teasing him by giving such exemple: sunni countries support Egypt vs other sunni guys supporting MB
and even more funny : Iran supports MB not Sissi
:D (so him thinking the region war is war shia vs sunni... that's a bit more complicated than this ;)

Of course he's a MOSSAD troll

When the JEWS need to divide and conquer in Iraq, they blame the bad sunni Saddam oppressing the poor shias & kurds.
They also make the people in the West hate the arabs with carircatures of Mohammed & daily humilitaion in the JEWS owned medias

In Libya it has nothing to see with Iran but the JEW NATO bombers

Of course he's a MOSSAD troll

When the JEWS need to divide and conquer in Iraq, they blame the bad sunni Saddam oppressing the poor shias & kurds.
They also make the people in the West hate the arabs with carircatures of Mohammed & daily humilitaion in the JEWS owned medias

In Libya it has nothing to see with Iran but the JEW NATO bombers

And what kind of troll are you Ms. Sun Piwa? Who is in that picture, someone you know?

So you are saying it's okay for million Muslims who were displaced away from Baghdad through killings and extreme tortures by Shia Death Squad or Maliki/Al Sadr army which is the same yet you expect nothing to happen afterward? Mate, ever heard of revenge? In this video, it explained how it lead to Suuni insurgent because of the Death Squad and insurgents were used to defend the Muslims from them, of course revenge through car bombings because they can't afford to use something with bullets that doesn't kill groups. They also explained how the sectarian rampant forces (death squad) were using something that you can't imagine of. i.e killing families, taking one another for torture, rape and killing while one witnesses and etc If I was one of them, this would be in my memory for my whole life and I would never surrender until I seek revenge, pretty sure you would do that. All the Iraqi prisons (torture dungeons) now is used to imprison Suuni family members. Since you are an Iraqi and you know the reality under Shia government, so I'm not gonna explain what method they are using in the prison.

The Iraq government has no control of their country, the real rulers are the Iranians. Syria is the best example how Iraqis were forced to go there and how the government admitted they can't stop Iranians who used their airspace. Had it not been a revolution in 1979, the Shias would not do what they are doing now because they are minority in this world. So, Imagine how the Middle East would be like without Ayatollahs exist or taking the lead in Iran? I'm not blaming the Shias for this, the problem is they are more loyal to Iran than their home country that is why they can't be trusted meaning that they listen to a "word" that comes out of Iran's mouth, so the key of the door must be unlocked in Tehran and lock the people who encourage killing (ayatollah) or supporters in the deep pit that shall never return to life.

As for the coverage, like I said social networking sites are now more common than mainstream media because it provide witness reports, videos, photos and what really happened. I used Facebook mostly to see their 'like page' updates. The mainstream media never mentioned what the internet says. There are US analysis who urged the Iraqi government for a dialogue with Suuni for calm but unfortunately it will never happen if Iran's presence is strong. Also, they said about post Syria, if you know what will happen.

The other thread posted by someone showed a trend of who supported and who opposed the coup. Iran was listed as opposed which I call it bs and I did provide reason for it, if you're talking about the funds; MB asked them, Russia and Qatar for money because they had no international support to cover the economic. There is no Muslims v Shia conflict, it was started in 1979 but got weakened because of Iran-Iraq war then Iran gained power after 2003 when Saddam was toppled so they had an opportunity to spread sectarianism through meddlings, terror and spreading their religion in the Middle East all the time, sometimes in Northern Africa according to KSA and Muslim countries. I would like to see your corrupted regime toppled and replace it to the Shah or suitable government.

I know everything your telling me, I'm not going to take the effort to explain you what has happened since your sectarian and a hypocrite, besides I explained it already multiple times yet the Shia complaining continues, now don't cry that you "exposed" me or whatsoever.

@MooshMoosh

Today is 9/11 btw, celebrate it.
No, it was a set up by the US government. This was 13 years ago, and a lot of people knows the truth.
I know everything your telling me, I'm not going to take the effort to explain you what has happened since your sectarian and a hypocrite, besides I explained it already multiple times yet the Shia complaining continues, now don't cry that you "exposed" me or whatsoever.
Sectarian and Hypcrites are the most common word used by Shias. Sick of it, whatever you say man.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it was a set up by the US government. This was 13 years ago, and a lot of people knows the truth.
Sectarian and Hypcrites are the most common word used by Shias. Sick of it, whatever you say man.

No, Vahabi is most used.

Sick of it, that's good news

Liar, in Egypt it's also Iran i suppose? It's always the salafists fake muslims working for the JEWS who kill everybody

Big flaw on you "analysis". The Civil war started after hundreds of attacks against Shias which killed tens of thousands. The Shias were being patient until 2006, when alqaeda decided to bomb the Askari tomb in samara. That's when they retaliated. No one denies there were crimes, but when you claim that all the Sunni terrorist groups are innocent, peace loving, and oppressed civilians that's when your hypocrisy must be exposed. Tens of thousands of Shia have been killed and still are killed daily, yet we here no condemnation from you. In fact you and your buddies here always try to somehow justify it.

BTW, the civil war was started by alqaeda, the Shias, even the terrorists never start a war. That's why all the Shia militia put down their arms when the civil war ended in 2008, yet we see alqaeda still carrying out daily attacks agonist civilians.

Maliki came on to power AFTER the civil war has already begun, so your obsession with Maliki killing Sunnis is out of place, in fact he managed to stop the civil war and save many Sunnis.

It's an extremely complicated situation that need of days to explain, but this this is for the people who care, not for the terrorist supporting mooshmoosh

Btw, what do you say about today's suicide bombing in Egypt? Or is it because of oppressing the Muslim as well? You sick savage, "former muslim majority". I say go eat sh!t you fool, I hope the Egyptian army pulls the roots of the cursed tree in Egypt, the roots of wahabism, salafist, and the satans brotherhood.

MOSSAD crotale

Maliki took power in 2006., the first bombings against the shias took place in august 2003

The JEW USA invaded Iraq with Al Qaeda in 2003 from sunnis countries: Kuwait, NATO Turkey, Saudi. NOT FROM IRAN

Heba al-Shamary (name changed for security reasons) was released recently from an Iraqi prison where she spent the last four years.

"I was tortured and raped repeatedly by the Iraqi security forces," she told Al Jazeera. "I want to tell the world what I and other Iraqi women in prison have had to go through these last years. It has been a hell."

Heba was charged with terrorism, a fate faced by many Iraqis who are detained by security forces.

"I now want to explain to people what is occurring in the prisons that [Prime Minister Nouri al-] Maliki and his gangs are running," Heba added. "I was raped over and over again, I was kicked and beaten and insulted and spit upon."

Heba's story, horrific as it is, unfortunately is but one example of what a recent report from Amnesty International refers to as "a grim cycle of human rights abuses" in Iraq today.

The report, "Iraq: Still paying a high price after a decade of abuses", exposes a long chronology of torture and other ill-treatment of detainees committed by Iraqi security forces, as well as by foreign troops, in the wake of the US-led 2003 invasion.

One Iraqi woman, speaking on condition of anonymity, said her nephew was first detained when he was just 18. Held under the infamous Article Four which gives the government the ability to arrest anyone "suspected" of terrorism, he was charged with terrorism. She told, in detail, of how her nephew was treated:

"They beat him with metal pipes, used harsh curse words and swore against his sect and Allah (because he is Sunni) and why God was not helping him, and that they would bring up the prisoners' mothers and sisters to rape them," she explained to Al Jazeera. "Then they used electricity to burn different places of his body. They took all his clothes off in winter and left them naked out in the yard to freeze."

Her nephew, who was released after four years imprisonment after the Iraqi appeals court deemed him innocent, was then arrested 10 days after his release, again under Article 4. This law gives the government of Prime Minister Maliki broad license to detain Iraqis. Article four and other laws provide the government the ability to impose the death penalty for nearly 50 crimes, including terrorism, kidnapping, and murder, but also for offenses such as damage to public property.

While her nephew was free, he informed his aunt of how he and other detainees were tortured.

"They made some other inmates stand barefoot during Iraq's summer on burning concrete pavement to have sunburn, and without drinking water until they fainted. They took some of them, broke so many of their bones, mutilated their faces with a knife and threw them back in the cell to let the others know that this is what will happen to them."

She said her nephew was tortured daily, as he wouldn't confess to a crime he says he didn't commit. He wouldn't give names of his co-conspirators, as there were none, she said.

"Finally, after the death of many of his inmates under torture, he agreed to sign up a false confession written by the interrogators, even though he had witnesses who have seen him in another place the day that crime has happened," she added.
He remains in prison, where he has told his aunt he is now being tortured by militiamen and one of his eyes has been lanced by them.

Yousef Abdul Rahman has an equally shocking story, from being detained in 2011 and spending four months in "the worst of prisons".

"I was kept in a Maliki prison, where they dumped cold water on me and used electricity on me," he told Al Jazeera. "Many of the prisoners with me were raped. They were raped with sticks and bottles. I saw the blood on their bodies, and I saw so many men this happened to."

In today's Iraq, it is unfortunately all too easy to find Iraqis who have had loved ones who have been detained and tortured, and the trend is increasing, according to Iraqis Al Jazeera spoke with, along with several human rights groups.

'This was really harmful to me'

Ahmed Hassan, a 43-year-old taxi driver, was detained by Iraqi police at his home in the Adhamiyah district of Baghdad in December 2008. He was charged with "terrorism", and held in a federal police prison in nearby Khadimiyah.

Hassan told Al Jazeera the prison was run by the Ministry of Interior, but alleged it was overseen by Prime Minister al-Maliki himself.

He said he was regularly tortured and held in a six-by-four meter cell with "at least 120 detainees, with a small toilet that has no door, and scarce running water".

Prisoners received one meal a day that was often undercooked. And it was so crowded that "most of us would be forced to sleep standing", he said.

Hassan explained that his jailors had "various techniques of torture".

"They forced me to drink huge amounts of water and then would tie up the head of my penis so I could not urinate. This was really harmful to me," said Hassan.

Another method was to "take off my fingernails with a pair of pliers, one by one."

This was an attempt to elicit confessions for crimes he said he never committed.

Hassan said he was also hung upside down from his feet with his head placed in a bucket of water while he was whipped with plastic rods.

Stories of detentions and torture and executions are everywhere in today's Iraq.

Sheikh Khaled Hamoud Al-Jumaili, a leader of the ongoing demonstrations in Fallujah against the Maliki government, told Al Jazeera there that "thousands of Fallujans have been detained and we don't know how many are now dead or on death row."

"The fighting from 2004 has never stopped," he added. "We simply switched from fighting the Americans to fighting Maliki and his injustice and corruption."

Another Fallujah sheikh, who asked to speak on condition of anonymity, told Al Jazeera he was detained and tortured by "Maliki's forces" in 2012.

"I was taken to the Khadamiyah prison [in Baghdad] and tortured there," he said while pulling up his shirt to reveal dark puncture wounds across his back. "I was beaten with sticks, punched, starved, spit upon, and hung by my ankles and then wrists. Maliki is even worse than the Americans."

Iraq currently has one of the highest rates of death sentences in the world, and Sunnis say they are suffering disproportionately from the killings.

Stories like those from Jassim and Hassan are exactly the kind referenced in the recent Amnesty International report.

"Torture is rife and committed with impunity by government security forces, particularly against detainees arrested under anti-terrorism while they are held incommunicado for interrogation," the report states.

"Detainees have alleged that they were tortured to force them to 'confess' to serious crimes or to incriminate others while held in these conditions. Many have repudiated their confessions at trial only to see the courts admit them as evidence of their guilt, without investigating their torture allegations, sentencing them to long term imprisonment or death."

Executions and international condemnation

Saadiya Naif, 60, has had three of her sons executed – two by American forces during the occupation, and one in 2008 by Iraqis.
"Baker was arrested by Iraqi police and held for one and a half years," she told Al Jazeera, while weeping. "He was only 19 when they executed him. I tried to use lawyers to get him out of prison, but all three of them received death threats. Then, after one and a half years in prison, he phoned me to say goodbye, because he was to be executed the next day."

According to international human rights groups, at least 3,000 Iraqis received death sentences since 2005, which was the year capital punishment was reinstated after the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003.

At least 447 prisoners have been executed since 2005, and hundreds of prisoners wait on death row. In addition, 129 prisoners were hanged in 2012.

The government of Prime Minister Maliki has been strongly criticized by both the UN and several other human rights groups for the number of executions being carried out.

Christof Heyns, UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, said last year he was alarmed by reports of individuals who remain at risk of execution. "I am appalled about the level of executions in Iraq. I deeply deplore the executions carried out."

The surge in state-sanctioned killings has also drawn sharp criticism from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, who called it "a sharp increase from previous years".

"Given the lack of transparency in court proceedings, and the very wide range of offences for which the death penalty can be imposed in Iraq, this is truly a shocking figure," Pillay said.

Human Rights Watch's deputy Middle East director, Joe Stork, said Iraq "has a huge problem with torture and unfair trials".

Lisa Hajjar is a professor of sociology at University of California Santa Barbara and a visiting professor at American University Beirut.

Her work focuses on torture and detention issues in the context of war.

She said the situation in Iraq is common in ongoing civil wars, with the regime in power attempting to eliminate opponents from the past. Hajjar described the executions and torture as "intentional state terror".

"I call it terroristic torture," Hajjar told Al Jazeera. "When people are tortured or there are extrajudicial executions, the purpose is to dissuade others. The goal is to create a visible spectacle, and the purpose is to terrorize communities into quiescence."
In response to this kind of international criticism, Iraq's Justice Ministry said torture might happen in isolated incidents, and the media exaggerates it.

"The international community has not been fair with the Iraqi people," Justice Ministry spokesman Haider al-Sadee recently told Al Jazeera. "When there is an explosion in America the whole world is rocked and countries are invaded as a result. But when Iraq defends its rights and executes a person after convicting him of a crime, international organizations condemn it."
"Speaking as an Iraqi citizen," he added. "I believe the least that should be done to show justice to the families of victims is to execute them publicly."

This cavalier attitude, along with increasing rates of detentions, reports of ongoing torture, and increasing executions, have factored largely into why predominantly Sunni areas of Iraq, like Baghdad's Al-Adhamiyah neighborhood and much of Al-Anbar province, are holding regular demonstrations against Maliki's government.

Protests

Every Friday in Fallujah, for three months now, hundreds of thousands have demonstrated and prayed on the main highway linking Baghdad and Amman, which runs just past the outskirts of that city.

People in Fallujah, and the rest of Iraq's vast Anbar province, are enraged at the government of Prime Minister Maliki. They say his security forces, heavily populated by members of various Shia militias, have been killing and detaining Sunnis in Anbar Province, as well as across much of Baghdad.

Sheikh Khaled Hamoud Al-Jumaili, a leader of recent demonstrations, made it clear to Al Jazeera why the protests have been ongoing.

"We demand an end to checkpoints surrounding Fallujah, we demand they allow in the press, we demand they end their unlawful home raids and detentions, we demand an end to federalism and gangsters and secret prisons," he told Al Jazeera inside a tent just prior to recent Friday demonstrations.

Sheikh Jumaili went on to tell Al Jazeera that the millions of people in Anbar province had withdrawn all their demands on the Maliki government, because none of them had been met.

"Now we demand a change in the regime and a change in the constitution," he said. "We will not stop these demonstrations."

The Sheikh was then asked what would happen if the Maliki government did not listen to the demands of the protestors.

"Maybe armed struggle comes next," he replied.

While there is no way of linking the events, on March 14 Iraq's Ministry of Justice was attacked by at least one car bomb and a suicide bomber, as part of a series of coordinated attacks that rocked Baghdad, killing 24 and injuring at least 50 others.

Meanwhile, protests against the Maliki government's ongoing use of detentions, torture, and executions continue in Sunni areas around Iraq, with no sign of abatement.

Ongoing condemnation

"Death sentences and executions are being used on a horrendous scale," Amnesty International's Hadj Sahraoui said in the group's recent report. "It is particularly abhorrent that many prisoners have been sentenced to death after unfair trials and on the basis of confessions they say they were forced to make under torture."

"It is high time that the Iraqi authorities end this appalling cycle of abuse and declare a moratorium on executions as a first step towards abolishing the death penalty for all crimes," he added.

Human Rights Watch's Erin Evers, a Middle East Researcher working on Iraq, said she has received a wide range of figures from various sources as to the number of actual detainees.

"Iraq's Ministry of Justice claims 30,000 people in Ministry of Justice and Interior Ministry detention facilities, but there are a lot contradictions from the government," Evers told Al Jazeera. "I've had another source put the number at 50,000. The fact that the number varies so widely and that information on where and how people are detained is not widely available points to a larger problem."

A point made to Al Jazeera by many Iraqis is this: perhaps the Maliki government does not need secret prisons anymore, because it instead has "secret prisoners."

What is meant by this is that since the Iraqi security apparatus is not operating by the rule of law by carrying out arbitrary detentions and no due process, it is thus easy enough to detain people and hold them in normal facilities without having any record of them.
In this way it is possible for the government to interrogate ordinary Iraqis using any method it chooses, because the families and friends of the detainees have no idea where the detainee is, or how long they will be kept there.

Evers went on to point out that the fact that the Iraqi justice system is so opaque points to the route of the problem.

"Which is that these institutions are failing, and it is a misnomer to call it a justice system as it's certainly not actually meting out justice," she said.

Amnesty International's report is based on information gathered from multiple sources, including interviews with detainees, victims' families, refugees, lawyers, human rights activists and others, plus reviews of court papers and other official documents.

Amnesty International sent its latest findings to the Iraqi government in December 2012 but has yet to receive any response.

"The real tragedy here is that not only are ordinary Iraqis suffering from ongoing terrorist attacks, but from the fact that the institutions that are supposed to protect them are instead targeting them," Evers concluded. "By invoking ordinary Iraqis' suffering from ongoing terrorist attacks and instability, the government implies that somehow it's OK to violate people's human rights under the guise of protecting them, and clearly even this not working."

http://www.aljazeera.com/humanrights/2013/03/201331883513244683.html

========================================================================================================================================

Yet the Muslims still call the Rafidhas our brothers and blaming the real brothers of Juma'ah of bombings when they are defending themselves from the Rafidha cancers and merely has no weapons to defend themselves. By Allah, the Rafidhas in Iraq is the worse dogs out of all and with all respect dogs, even animals wouldn't do such what Rafidha is doing and the Alawites in Syria is following their footstep backed by the Magoos. May Allah guide the misguided Muslims and heal the ignorants such to stay away from the Shias.

The map above demonstrates that Shias have been gradually taking over all of Baghdad (noted by the green mass that now covers much of the city), wiping out Sunni communities that stood in their path. Center for American Progress analyst Brian Katulis estimated that Baghdad, which once used to be a 65 percent Sunni majority city, is now 75 percent Shia.
secviolencechartlarge.gif

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2007/09/06/16023/sunni-shia-baghdad/

Yet, the Rafidhas still whinning about bombings? What a joke.

The rafidhas hate Americans right? The very same Americans droning Pakistanis, Afghans and Yemenis and the very same Iran who is backing the entire Shias yet the US haven't cross a line on Shias.

The same Al Hakim and Maliki who slaughtered and dumped the Suunis in Iraq.

Al-Hakim_meets_G.W._Bush.jpg

O20215340.jpg

BUSH-MALIKI.jpg

ali-khamenei-nouri-al-maliki-2012-4-23-6-10-23.jpg

1101861117_400.jpg

with shia book?
xinsrc_ca6da897e85411d7810d0010b5d28995_powell05kiss.jpg

rafsanjani-18-03-111.png

abtahi.png

Yet those Shias say "wahhabi mossad cia alliance" and "wahhabi propaganda with zionist" but how? Stop making bullshit up and speak up. We are the one, being slaughtered giving you all the proof. Oh, the good thing is Iran is going back with the alliance with America PUBLICITY while the whole Muslims of Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Pakistan knows Iran is behind all the sectarian chaos.

Last edited:
0929-syria.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/09/29/sunday-review/how-5-countries-could-become-14.html

not a big fan of western news but with Iraq map, inshallah it's gonna happen soon. Even the Shias is scared with all the news of Maliki begging for help. Just notice they are the one who is backing Assad yet those Americans claim to be against Assad and giving Maliki weapons to counter the people who is fighting against Assad.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/29/us-iraq-usa-maliki-idUSBRE99S0W920131029
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...8f3c06-4100-11e3-a751-f032898f2dbc_story.html

Increasing numbers of Ulemas and the Muslims is waking up and supporting the people suffered in the Shia barbaric savages who needs to be thrown in a pit. My du'a and the billion Muslim's Du'a to the Muslims of Iraq suffering in the hand of Shias, be patient. The victory is near soon.

The Prophet Muhammad (saws) said:

The Blood of a Muslim is worth more than the Ka’aba” [Ibn Majah]

The powerful proxies from Iran is crumbling into bits and it looks inevitable for that because the Suunis had gained upperhand in the Middle East who are turning the region into a full blown sectarian payback against the Shiites who had enjoyed slicing kebabs (logically referring to Suunis) ever since the Iraq constitution was held by George.W Bush and Nouri Maliki known most memorable moment when a journalist threw a pair in an attempt to hit Bush's face.

If i'm well aware of, most parts of Iraq is populated with Shiites and the military is well known predominantly dominated by Shiites who had been highly trained as claimed by the US who once earlier stated to provided Iraq with billion dollars of advance technologies but with the progress in security presence in the country, they had failed and in particular, they lack of training and building up security compared to the Afghan National Army who is ranked extremely low and several reason for the failure with the Iraq's security or the military force; Firstly, the sectarian conflict triggered by militias lead by Shiite clerics had killed inimitable numbers of Suunis in the past and yet continued with the task which angered Suuni communties. Secondly, the Shiite ruled Iraq's government, an Iranian loyalist of course who had refuse to pressure rights for the Suunis leading it to an armed conflict after the demostration on the resignation of Maliki's post. Thirdly, the Sahwat had been inactive for years while Al Qaeda had been on the rise and mainly due to the restrictions imposed by Maliki against the Suunis which lead the Sahwat's refusal to take the operations. Those are being critisized by the officials outside who accused Maliki of bolstering Al Qaeda in the Western region because he had not made changes for the Suunis.

As for the map posted by New York Times, it is inevitable as it may happen soon pointed directly to divide between West and North Iraq (Suuni) and East (Shiite) but it is not possible on the Kurdish region which may be part of the Suuni areas since they are Suuni themselves. As the matter of fact, the Shiite militias had large portion or infact I'd like to say overwhelm influence in both Iraq and Syria who rely on ground six times more than the Suuni foreigners known as jihadist refer to Islamic view as mujahedin and Iraq's Kurdish role in Syria on the other hand is failing apart just as a beginning when they were involved on the capturing of a checkpoint in Syria will put North Iraq in a danger because it angered Suuni Islamist. The map's view on Syria is not seen predictable because of the hatred among Alawite civilians which isn't going to look well since Syria will be a repeat of Iraq in the aftermath where Shiite clerics or known popularist as ayatollah had encouraged the killing of Suunis in Iraq and the Suuni clerics will probably do the same on Alawites who are not a few or large but a tiny minority who makes the population of a million and two that persecuted Suunis since Rifaat Assad, Bashar's uncle who had rose to power since the late 60s, a moment after the French mandate.

Not to mention, Hassan Nassrallah had cursed "Hezbollah" after their involvement in Syria and even if Hezbollah was to be buried, Lebanon would be turned into another Iraq between Shiites in the South who is likely to get support from a close neighbour Israel who prefer secular than Islamist and Suuni in the North biting each other while the Christians may side with the Shiites because they rather side with non religious ideologies filled with sectarianism than an extremist who is gaining upper hand in Hermoz seek to take hold of Lebanon with strict ideologies.

Indeed, this will get bloody but Iran's expansion had decreased but their interferings went a bit too harsh and afterward, things will remain calm which i'm expecting from Iran's foreign policy is an isolation.

Heba al-Shamary (name changed for security reasons) was released recently from an Iraqi prison where she spent the last four years.

"I was tortured and raped repeatedly by the Iraqi security forces," she told Al Jazeera. "I want to tell the world what I and other Iraqi women in prison have had to go through these last years. It has been a hell."

Heba was charged with terrorism, a fate faced by many Iraqis who are detained by security forces.

"I now want to explain to people what is occurring in the prisons that [Prime Minister Nouri al-] Maliki and his gangs are running," Heba added. "I was raped over and over again, I was kicked and beaten and insulted and spit upon."

Heba's story, horrific as it is, unfortunately is but one example of what a recent report from Amnesty International refers to as "a grim cycle of human rights abuses" in Iraq today.

The report, "Iraq: Still paying a high price after a decade of abuses", exposes a long chronology of torture and other ill-treatment of detainees committed by Iraqi security forces, as well as by foreign troops, in the wake of the US-led 2003 invasion.

One Iraqi woman, speaking on condition of anonymity, said her nephew was first detained when he was just 18. Held under the infamous Article Four which gives the government the ability to arrest anyone "suspected" of terrorism, he was charged with terrorism. She told, in detail, of how her nephew was treated:

"They beat him with metal pipes, used harsh curse words and swore against his sect and Allah (because he is Sunni) and why God was not helping him, and that they would bring up the prisoners' mothers and sisters to rape them," she explained to Al Jazeera. "Then they used electricity to burn different places of his body. They took all his clothes off in winter and left them naked out in the yard to freeze."

Her nephew, who was released after four years imprisonment after the Iraqi appeals court deemed him innocent, was then arrested 10 days after his release, again under Article 4. This law gives the government of Prime Minister Maliki broad license to detain Iraqis. Article four and other laws provide the government the ability to impose the death penalty for nearly 50 crimes, including terrorism, kidnapping, and murder, but also for offenses such as damage to public property.

While her nephew was free, he informed his aunt of how he and other detainees were tortured.

"They made some other inmates stand barefoot during Iraq's summer on burning concrete pavement to have sunburn, and without drinking water until they fainted. They took some of them, broke so many of their bones, mutilated their faces with a knife and threw them back in the cell to let the others know that this is what will happen to them."

She said her nephew was tortured daily, as he wouldn't confess to a crime he says he didn't commit. He wouldn't give names of his co-conspirators, as there were none, she said.

"Finally, after the death of many of his inmates under torture, he agreed to sign up a false confession written by the interrogators, even though he had witnesses who have seen him in another place the day that crime has happened," she added.
He remains in prison, where he has told his aunt he is now being tortured by militiamen and one of his eyes has been lanced by them.

Yousef Abdul Rahman has an equally shocking story, from being detained in 2011 and spending four months in "the worst of prisons".

"I was kept in a Maliki prison, where they dumped cold water on me and used electricity on me," he told Al Jazeera. "Many of the prisoners with me were raped. They were raped with sticks and bottles. I saw the blood on their bodies, and I saw so many men this happened to."

In today's Iraq, it is unfortunately all too easy to find Iraqis who have had loved ones who have been detained and tortured, and the trend is increasing, according to Iraqis Al Jazeera spoke with, along with several human rights groups.

'This was really harmful to me'

Ahmed Hassan, a 43-year-old taxi driver, was detained by Iraqi police at his home in the Adhamiyah district of Baghdad in December 2008. He was charged with "terrorism", and held in a federal police prison in nearby Khadimiyah.

Hassan told Al Jazeera the prison was run by the Ministry of Interior, but alleged it was overseen by Prime Minister al-Maliki himself.

He said he was regularly tortured and held in a six-by-four meter cell with "at least 120 detainees, with a small toilet that has no door, and scarce running water".

Prisoners received one meal a day that was often undercooked. And it was so crowded that "most of us would be forced to sleep standing", he said.

Hassan explained that his jailors had "various techniques of torture".

"They forced me to drink huge amounts of water and then would tie up the head of my penis so I could not urinate. This was really harmful to me," said Hassan.

Another method was to "take off my fingernails with a pair of pliers, one by one."

This was an attempt to elicit confessions for crimes he said he never committed.

Hassan said he was also hung upside down from his feet with his head placed in a bucket of water while he was whipped with plastic rods.

Stories of detentions and torture and executions are everywhere in today's Iraq.

Sheikh Khaled Hamoud Al-Jumaili, a leader of the ongoing demonstrations in Fallujah against the Maliki government, told Al Jazeera there that "thousands of Fallujans have been detained and we don't know how many are now dead or on death row."

"The fighting from 2004 has never stopped," he added. "We simply switched from fighting the Americans to fighting Maliki and his injustice and corruption."

Another Fallujah sheikh, who asked to speak on condition of anonymity, told Al Jazeera he was detained and tortured by "Maliki's forces" in 2012.

"I was taken to the Khadamiyah prison [in Baghdad] and tortured there," he said while pulling up his shirt to reveal dark puncture wounds across his back. "I was beaten with sticks, punched, starved, spit upon, and hung by my ankles and then wrists. Maliki is even worse than the Americans."

Iraq currently has one of the highest rates of death sentences in the world, and Sunnis say they are suffering disproportionately from the killings.

Stories like those from Jassim and Hassan are exactly the kind referenced in the recent Amnesty International report.

"Torture is rife and committed with impunity by government security forces, particularly against detainees arrested under anti-terrorism while they are held incommunicado for interrogation," the report states.

"Detainees have alleged that they were tortured to force them to 'confess' to serious crimes or to incriminate others while held in these conditions. Many have repudiated their confessions at trial only to see the courts admit them as evidence of their guilt, without investigating their torture allegations, sentencing them to long term imprisonment or death."

Executions and international condemnation

Saadiya Naif, 60, has had three of her sons executed – two by American forces during the occupation, and one in 2008 by Iraqis.
"Baker was arrested by Iraqi police and held for one and a half years," she told Al Jazeera, while weeping. "He was only 19 when they executed him. I tried to use lawyers to get him out of prison, but all three of them received death threats. Then, after one and a half years in prison, he phoned me to say goodbye, because he was to be executed the next day."

According to international human rights groups, at least 3,000 Iraqis received death sentences since 2005, which was the year capital punishment was reinstated after the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003.

At least 447 prisoners have been executed since 2005, and hundreds of prisoners wait on death row. In addition, 129 prisoners were hanged in 2012.

The government of Prime Minister Maliki has been strongly criticized by both the UN and several other human rights groups for the number of executions being carried out.

Christof Heyns, UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, said last year he was alarmed by reports of individuals who remain at risk of execution. "I am appalled about the level of executions in Iraq. I deeply deplore the executions carried out."

The surge in state-sanctioned killings has also drawn sharp criticism from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, who called it "a sharp increase from previous years".

"Given the lack of transparency in court proceedings, and the very wide range of offences for which the death penalty can be imposed in Iraq, this is truly a shocking figure," Pillay said.

Human Rights Watch's deputy Middle East director, Joe Stork, said Iraq "has a huge problem with torture and unfair trials".

Lisa Hajjar is a professor of sociology at University of California Santa Barbara and a visiting professor at American University Beirut.

Her work focuses on torture and detention issues in the context of war.

She said the situation in Iraq is common in ongoing civil wars, with the regime in power attempting to eliminate opponents from the past. Hajjar described the executions and torture as "intentional state terror".

"I call it terroristic torture," Hajjar told Al Jazeera. "When people are tortured or there are extrajudicial executions, the purpose is to dissuade others. The goal is to create a visible spectacle, and the purpose is to terrorize communities into quiescence."
In response to this kind of international criticism, Iraq's Justice Ministry said torture might happen in isolated incidents, and the media exaggerates it.

"The international community has not been fair with the Iraqi people," Justice Ministry spokesman Haider al-Sadee recently told Al Jazeera. "When there is an explosion in America the whole world is rocked and countries are invaded as a result. But when Iraq defends its rights and executes a person after convicting him of a crime, international organizations condemn it."
"Speaking as an Iraqi citizen," he added. "I believe the least that should be done to show justice to the families of victims is to execute them publicly."

This cavalier attitude, along with increasing rates of detentions, reports of ongoing torture, and increasing executions, have factored largely into why predominantly Sunni areas of Iraq, like Baghdad's Al-Adhamiyah neighborhood and much of Al-Anbar province, are holding regular demonstrations against Maliki's government.

Protests

Every Friday in Fallujah, for three months now, hundreds of thousands have demonstrated and prayed on the main highway linking Baghdad and Amman, which runs just past the outskirts of that city.

People in Fallujah, and the rest of Iraq's vast Anbar province, are enraged at the government of Prime Minister Maliki. They say his security forces, heavily populated by members of various Shia militias, have been killing and detaining Sunnis in Anbar Province, as well as across much of Baghdad.

Sheikh Khaled Hamoud Al-Jumaili, a leader of recent demonstrations, made it clear to Al Jazeera why the protests have been ongoing.

"We demand an end to checkpoints surrounding Fallujah, we demand they allow in the press, we demand they end their unlawful home raids and detentions, we demand an end to federalism and gangsters and secret prisons," he told Al Jazeera inside a tent just prior to recent Friday demonstrations.

Sheikh Jumaili went on to tell Al Jazeera that the millions of people in Anbar province had withdrawn all their demands on the Maliki government, because none of them had been met.

"Now we demand a change in the regime and a change in the constitution," he said. "We will not stop these demonstrations."

The Sheikh was then asked what would happen if the Maliki government did not listen to the demands of the protestors.

"Maybe armed struggle comes next," he replied.

While there is no way of linking the events, on March 14 Iraq's Ministry of Justice was attacked by at least one car bomb and a suicide bomber, as part of a series of coordinated attacks that rocked Baghdad, killing 24 and injuring at least 50 others.

Meanwhile, protests against the Maliki government's ongoing use of detentions, torture, and executions continue in Sunni areas around Iraq, with no sign of abatement.

Ongoing condemnation

"Death sentences and executions are being used on a horrendous scale," Amnesty International's Hadj Sahraoui said in the group's recent report. "It is particularly abhorrent that many prisoners have been sentenced to death after unfair trials and on the basis of confessions they say they were forced to make under torture."

"It is high time that the Iraqi authorities end this appalling cycle of abuse and declare a moratorium on executions as a first step towards abolishing the death penalty for all crimes," he added.

Human Rights Watch's Erin Evers, a Middle East Researcher working on Iraq, said she has received a wide range of figures from various sources as to the number of actual detainees.

"Iraq's Ministry of Justice claims 30,000 people in Ministry of Justice and Interior Ministry detention facilities, but there are a lot contradictions from the government," Evers told Al Jazeera. "I've had another source put the number at 50,000. The fact that the number varies so widely and that information on where and how people are detained is not widely available points to a larger problem."

A point made to Al Jazeera by many Iraqis is this: perhaps the Maliki government does not need secret prisons anymore, because it instead has "secret prisoners."

What is meant by this is that since the Iraqi security apparatus is not operating by the rule of law by carrying out arbitrary detentions and no due process, it is thus easy enough to detain people and hold them in normal facilities without having any record of them.
In this way it is possible for the government to interrogate ordinary Iraqis using any method it chooses, because the families and friends of the detainees have no idea where the detainee is, or how long they will be kept there.

Evers went on to point out that the fact that the Iraqi justice system is so opaque points to the route of the problem.

"Which is that these institutions are failing, and it is a misnomer to call it a justice system as it's certainly not actually meting out justice," she said.

Amnesty International's report is based on information gathered from multiple sources, including interviews with detainees, victims' families, refugees, lawyers, human rights activists and others, plus reviews of court papers and other official documents.

Amnesty International sent its latest findings to the Iraqi government in December 2012 but has yet to receive any response.

"The real tragedy here is that not only are ordinary Iraqis suffering from ongoing terrorist attacks, but from the fact that the institutions that are supposed to protect them are instead targeting them," Evers concluded. "By invoking ordinary Iraqis' suffering from ongoing terrorist attacks and instability, the government implies that somehow it's OK to violate people's human rights under the guise of protecting them, and clearly even this not working."

http://www.aljazeera.com/humanrights/2013/03/201331883513244683.html

========================================================================================================================================

Yet the Muslims still call the Rafidhas our brothers and blaming the real brothers of Juma'ah of bombings when they are defending themselves from the Rafidha cancers and merely has no weapons to defend themselves. By Allah, the Rafidhas in Iraq is the worse dogs out of all and with all respect dogs, even animals wouldn't do such what Rafidha is doing and the Alawites in Syria is following their footstep backed by the Magoos. May Allah guide the misguided Muslims and heal the ignorants such to stay away from the Shias.

secviolencechartlarge.gif

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2007/09/06/16023/sunni-shia-baghdad/

Yet, the Rafidhas still whinning about bombings? What a joke.

Al Gayzeera ?
You use Al Jazeera as news and you want us to pull a straight face.

Abdul-Fattah-al-Sisi-Profile1-300x300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom