What's new

The 'poor' neighbour( old article but nice read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure some would.

Certain regions of China already have a very high GDP per capita. E.g. Hong Kong (long considered an advanced economy) as well as Shanghai, Beijing, etc.

However, the national GDP per capita is still quite low, even despite several decades of double-digit growth.

P.S. I was referring to Japan in my above post, although I think such a rule could apply to Pakistan as well. They have far fewer people to lift out of poverty, far fewer people to connect with infrastructure, etc. It will be much easier for them to raise their GDP per capita, because they don't have so many people.

Sure, but tell me this, if two countries (one large and one small) developing at a same speed with similar wealth distribution, with similar leadership acumen then why would smaller country develop faster than larger country.

Your Japan analogy isn't right either. Japan was an open economy since 50's I think. Their per capita income nominal is $45000 and $32000 PPP. China opened up in 1978 almost 20 -30 years later. What is the expected per capita of China in next 20 years?

Your thinking that Pakistan has fewer people so easier development isn't true either. Each individual states in India has fewer people as well. If they all are developing at a similar rates, they should be able to eliminate poverty just as fast.

But issues arise if there is uneven development. Thats something India has to address. But just because Pakistan is smaller they are not going develop faster. If anything India could because economies of scale, greater good could be done at a smaller cost.

indiaroadtoll-200x0.jpg

its a one way road

First make sure what you want to say

Hahaha, Commercial Street, B'lore!!

Sure, but tell me this, if two countries (one large and one small) developing at a same speed with similar wealth distribution, with similar leadership acumen then why would smaller country develop faster than larger country.

Your Japan analogy isn't right either. Japan was an open economy since 50's I think. Their per capita income nominal is $45000 and $32000 PPP. China opened up in 1978 almost 20 -30 years later. What is the expected per capita of China in next 20 years?

Simple really. Being a "developed" country, is a function of factors such as GDP per capita, and HDI.

Now it is much easier to raise GDP per capita when you don't have to spread it over 1+ billion people.

Here is a table of GDP per capita growth rates for China and India. Both are doing well, their growth rate in GDP per capita is similar to the overall GDP growth rate. List of countries by GDP (real) per capita growth rate

However, let's look at China and India's actual nominal GDP per capita. Still FAR below developed standards, and even on par with some African countries. The problem.... is that China and India are poor countries with massive populations, which means the "base" GDP per capita is extremely low to begin with.

Check out the HDI Index as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

Simple really. Being a "developed" country, is a function of factors such as GDP per capita, and HDI.

Now it is much easier to raise GDP per capita when you don't have to spread it over 1+ billion people.

Here is a table of GDP per capita growth rates for China and India. Both are doing well, their growth rate in GDP per capita is similar to the overall GDP growth rate. List of countries by GDP (real) per capita growth rate

However, let's look at China and India's actual nominal GDP per capita. Still FAR below developed standards, and even on par with some African countries. The problem.... is that China and India are poor countries with massive populations, which means the "base" GDP per capita is extremely low to begin with.

Check out the HDI Index as well. List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, what are they going to be in 2040-2050. Its unfair to compare China or India with already developed Japan. It took Japan 50 years to get where they are presently. Give our countries the same opportunity. Our real development started when we opened our economy.

Here are the projections.

BRIC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China $49000, could be more looking at the pace at which its growing.

India $20,888, could be more as well.

So there's no real difference here.

Here is Pakistan per capita projection $7066. They have to do three times better just to match India. Not that I believe these figures are absolute truth.

Its funny you indians take facts as rant lol :P
Its not bad to be realistic my friend

I know India looks poor because face it has more poor. I get it but it equally have much larger middle class and upper class as well. Its developing faster than Pakistan and projected to be an economic power. No amount of ranting on this forum would change that. All I can say is ask your countrymen to stop killing each other before you start competing with India. Now take care.

China $49000, could be more looking at the pace at which its growing.

LOL! China with a GDP per capita of $49000....?

Firstly, those are "future projections", which are worth absolutely nothing until they arrive. Secondly, that is half a century away.

Thirdly, you said it took Japan 50 years, with their population of over 100 million.

China opened up in the 1980's, so fifty years would be 2030, not 2050.

In India people depends on rail more than roads. Thats why our rail network is huge and may be busiest. Long distance journey is better on rail. They are revamping railways as well. Airports are also getting revamped. So expecting something better in coming years.

,and neither is a country considered a failed state because of poverty.
As said before i judge the progress and success of any country from living standard of its peoples and statistics suggest Pakistan is better than india :)

. No amount of ranting on this forum would change that. All I can say is ask your countrymen to stop killing each other before you start competing with India. Now take care.

ranting? where you see rantings?
situtation in pakistan is very much under control now alhumdulillah :)

The Chinese are probably laughing their head off, watching Indians and Pakistanis fighting over our shitty infrastructure.

As far as the original article goes, it really is outdated. Believe it or not a lot has changed in these past 5 years since that article was written. For example, airports in India, since the the 14th of August 2007(when the article was written) these are the new airports/terminals that have been inaugurated in India.

1. Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad (inaugurated March, 2008)

Rajiv_Gandhi_International_Airport.jpg

2. Bengaluru International Airport (inaugurated May, 2008)

3551944468290cfacfdcb.jpg

3. Madurai International Airport (inaugurated October, 2010)

11012011022.jpg

4. Trivandrum International Airport (inaugurated 2011)

250320111167.jpg

5. Ahmedabad Interantional Airport (inaugurated July 2010)

Ahmedabad-Airport-1.jpg

6. Delhi International Airport T3( inaugurated September 2010)

5558542251_085a5dc1f9_b.jpg

5591090815_1d46e8acda_b.jpg

7. Mumbai International Airport (Ongoing Project)

322a18f5a4.jpg

8.Kolkatta Interantional Airport (Ongoing Project)

9. Chennai International Airport (Ongoing Project).

Seriously there are too many to list here, basically this,

Aviation and Airports - SkyscraperCity

Same with roads and other infrastructure. India might have lagged behind Pakistan in the past, but we are pulling ahead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom