What's new

THE LAST WORD: Shahid Afridi

S_O_C_O_M

Reaction score
THE LAST WORD​
Shahid Afridi​

An interview with Shahid Afridi​

shahid-afridi-by-shehrbano-taseer.jpg

The captain of the Pakistan cricket team speaks on life after Mohali, and the controversies he’s stirred up since the World Cup semi-final defeat to India on March 30.​

You apologized to the nation after we lost the semi to India at Mohali. Why?

I am proud of our performance, and we did enjoy the World Cup. But before leaving I had promised my country that we would win, but we could not. If I don’t apologize to the people, who do I apologize to?

What could we have done better against India?

Our team was unsuccessful primarily because of the batting—actually, that was one of my fears before we left. I was pretty disappointed with the dropped catches [from Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar]. How could we drop those catches? We went in intending to win. We had worked and trained really hard, but it was our fate that we weren’t prepared enough.

How were the World Cup crowds in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and India?

The crowds were incredible, and really supportive of Pakistan. Bangladesh was the best, the people were with us. Sri Lanka was great and if we had been there for the semi, I’m sure we would have won. India was a whole different story, the crowds supported their own team, and the media was against us and played a dirty role. I didn’t feel any extra pressure with the presence of the [Pakistani and Indian prime ministers at the match] because there’s so much noise and adrenaline that you forget who’s there and who isn’t, one just focuses on playing the game well.

The last time Pakistan lost a World Cup match to archrival India in India was the 1996 quarter-final in Bangalore, and that Pakistan team got a harrowing homecoming. Your return home was warm—and nonviolent. What do you think has changed?

We are really lucky. The number of people—girls, boys, old, young—who came to greet us early in the morning at the airport, who supported us, rooted for us, believed in us, and prayed for us has been overwhelming. They showed a lot of patience with us, did not speak against us so vehemently, or attack us this time. The media was also with us. I could not have imagined such a wonderful welcome. The truth is people have shown a lot of love for me, the team, and the sport.

There’s a tendency in Pakistan to question the integrity of players after we lose major matches. Even interior minister Rehman Malik warned the team before the semi that they were being “watched.” Did any of this affect your performance?

I don’t take much tension from conspiracy theories. As for the comments by the minister and politicos in general, I don’t know what these people are on about half the time. I don’t follow their commentary. I don’t let that affect what is most important: the game. I don’t let what others think or say affect our performance. Whatever happened in England [last summer when three Pakistani players were implicated in the spot-fixing scandal], their courts will get to it. I don’t love money, I love Pakistan. If I could be bought, I would have made so much money by now. But the truth is that Afridi cannot be bought.

You’ve caused a stir by recently suggesting that Indians have “small hearts.” You’ve also said there’s a lobby preventing normalization of relations between Pakistan and India. What did you mean?

Look, us Muslims, we have a lot of patience, our hearts are strong. We have heart. Indians are more sensitive. If you jerk them a little, they get scared. There are also many people who do little to facilitate good relations between both countries and instead spread propaganda. This time the Indian media started so much propaganda that I told the team not to talk to them. Some media persons don’t mean well, and implied certain things. The media, especially India’s, don’t want peace. :agree:

How is the team different under your captaincy?

There is a lot of respect for each other in the dressing room and on the field. I realized if you show respect toward someone, they will respect you back. It took me a long time to unite the team. We were not always so united. I started making everyone eat together, hang out together, train together. We have fostered good relationships even though it hasn’t been easy. On the ground, I get angry sometimes, but I never abuse my position as captain. I am also strict. Previously, by the way, the captain and seniors would not even talk to the juniors on the team.

Interview | Shahid Afridi

Boom Boom Shahid Afridi.. Tum jeeto ya haaro sunno hemein tum say pyar hai..

and the media was against us and played a dirty role.

afridi seem busy wasteing time watching TV before the match ....

dhoni on other side given a clear direction to hotel management to remove all TV sets from the team rooms...

only a good thinking captain can make a difference.....
that's why dhoni is different..

Dhoni was scared of his team thats why he removes all the Tv, but Afridi trust his boys.. that they will win the match.. but its unfortunately they loss the game by poor ICC system

Lo bhai gaya agle saal ka IPL bhi hath se

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Dhoni was scared of his team thats why he removes all the Tv, but Afridi trust his boys.. that they will win the match.. but its unfortunately they loss the game by poor ICC system

Khisyani billi khambha noche.....

he is apparently having a row with waqar younis!!

Seems still they have not come out of the shock. :lol:

throw a ball at him, atleast it will keep him busy. why hear him barking explanations to us?

we indians have sensitive hearts and muslims have strong hearts. i guess this is another myth floating in pakistan.

that is the problem with Pakistanis in general , they are so caught up in the past that they cant seem to look in the future,
Match is over so is the worldcup, get it out and look at the other things ahead,

how could have we won against pakistan if they did not had big hearts... they dropped catches forheartedly

Dont copy Yuvi's words :D

But I whole heartedly agree that they are indeed big-hearted.

India ki world cup jeet ab tak Pakistaniyon ko hajam nahi hui hai!!!!

Yeh lijiye..shayad kaam ban jaye

hajmola+main.jpg

:lol: Afridi said that in India, the crowds supported their own team and not the Pakistan team :lol:

Why would the Indian crowds support Pakistan team and not their own team ? :rofl:

Is Afiridi alright ?

The team who handled the pressure & played better ... won ... period ... & this article is OLD

Back
Top Bottom