What's new

The Jamaat-e-Islami in India

xeuss

Reaction score
Country
India
The Jamaat-e-Islami in India, officially known as the Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, is one of the religious service organizations of the Muslims in India. Originally created by Syed Abu Alaa Maudoodi, the Jamaat split into separate wings after the independence of India from the British, and the creation of Pakistan. The Indian wing reorganized itself as the Jamaat-e-Islami Hind and dedicated itself for the betterment of the Indian Muslims.

While I have never been involved with the Jamaat-e-Islami, my last few trips to India have brought more awareness to their activities, mainly owing to the deep involvement of some family friends. I found myself impressed with their efforts and thought it would be beneficial to educate our Pakistani friends with some of the activities in India of the Jamaat-e-Islami.

Legal – The Jamaat provides legal representation and help to many Muslims who are wrongfully incarcerated by the Indian police on frivolous charges. Many Muslims have been able to free themselves from the arbitrary charges that were slapped on them. In addition, it also helps Hindus, who want to convert to Islam, navigate the legal maze of ant-conversion laws in several states. In one case that I am familiar with, the Jamaat lawyers assisted a Hindu lady who wanted to convert to Islam, fill out the necessary forms and obtain no objection letters from her family.

Dawaah – The Jamaat does not actively proselyte Islam to non-Muslims, but at the same time, does not turn away any non-Muslim who approaches them for further information on Islam. Most of their efforts are dedicated to improving the knowledge of Islam within the Muslim community and strengthen their faith. Most of the membership of the Jamaat is made up of lower-middle class and middle class Muslims and as such, most programs are geared towards them.

An interesting side note here. While I was on a visit to one city, we ended up meeting with the Ameer of that city’s Jamaat chapter – a well-educated gentleman who runs several businesses in the city. He told me that in the evening, he was going to give a speech on Islam at the local RSS office. He said that a couple of weeks ago, the RSS held a session on different faiths and invited people from different religions to give a short 10 minute lecture on their religion. He was invited to speak on Islam. He said that following that speech of his, the audience wanted to hear more about Islam, and that is why he was being invited again to give an exclusive 1 hour lecture on Islam, followed by a question/answer session. We both had a good discussion on the wisdom of engaging with fascists, but he defended his decision to go (and I grudgingly accepted) that we Muslims cannot refuse to explain our religion when the other side is giving us an opportunity – and of course, who knows whose heart can be turned by the words of Islam.

Schools & Orphanages – The Jamaat has been instrumental in setting up orphanages to assist the poor within the Muslim community. In one of the cities that I am familiar with, the orphans were finding it difficult to adjust in the public/private school system of the city, so the Jamaat bought some more land adjacent to the orphanage and set up a school. Contrary to the belief that the Jamaat sets up and runs madrassas, the Jamaat set up a nice, modern school based on the SSC curriculum and set up evening classes on Islam for the students. The teaching staff hired was a mix of Hindu & Muslim. It was very encouraging to learn on my last trip that some of the early students have now graduated from colleges and were now accountants, technicians and medical staff. In my conversations I learned that this is the new formula of the Jamaat schools – all education will be modeled on the SSC board, with extra classes on Islam outside of the school hours. For those who associate Muslim education with madrassas and it’s symbolizing backwardness and non-employability, this should be welcome news.

Rehabilitation & Relief – Following the Delhi pogrom of 2020, the Jamaat collected funds and facilitated the reconstruction of many houses and businesses of Muslims that were burnt down. Jamaat volunteers also helped the victims sign up for the monetary compensation that was provided by the Delhi state government. This same effort is replicated in other areas of the country where Muslims have faced destruction, either from the state or natural disasters. Besides this, the Jamaat spends a large sum to provide daily provisions to the poor in the community. When I asked if these provisions are exclusive for Muslims, the answer was that anyone can avail of them, but most of the recipients are Muslims.

In summary, all of the Jamaat-e-Islami members I met were deeply religious and dedicated Muslims, committed to the upliftment of their community under the adverse circumstances of our times. All of them were either running their own businesses or employees and spent most of their free time volunteering in the Jamaat’s social and religious activities. All were deeply disappointed at the direction India had taken and admitted that the Muslims in India were now third-class citizens. They fully expected that the Jamaat could get banned anytime by the government, and things would get worse for the Muslims in India, before they get any better.

a couple of weeks ago, the RSS held a session on different faiths and invited people from different religions to give a short 10 minute lecture on their religion. He was invited to speak on Islam. He said that following that speech of his, the audience wanted to hear more about Islam, and that is why he was being invited again to give an exclusive 1 hour lecture on Islam, followed by a question/answer session.
It is good that social organizations are helping in spreading awareness of various faiths. As RSS is encouraging understanding of Islam, similarly Madressahs should invite Hindu religions leaders for better understanding of Hinduism. With better understanding and sharing of ideas, the animosity will go down.

They fully expected that the Jamaat could get banned anytime by the government, and things would get worse for the Muslims in India, before they get any better.
If they are truly a social organization as you have mentioned in this post and are not indulging in any violence, then there is no reason for the organization to get banned.

If they are truly a social organization as you have mentioned in this post and are not indulging in any violence, then there is no reason for the organization to get banned.

Do Muslims get a fair chance in India? No.

Muslims are just one section of people who may not get fair chance sometimes due to host of reasons. Reasons may be lack of awareness, past hatred, less education etc.
There are other sections too who do not get fair chance - Dalits, the poor, women etc.

Instead of painting Muslims as a monolithic society who needs to fight with arms, more awareness and education is needed so that the animosity goes down.

BTW - please share the news where govt is threatening to ban this organization.

Muslims are just one section of people who may not get fair chance sometimes due to host of reasons. Reasons may be lack of awareness, past hatred, less education etc.
There are other sections too who do not get fair chance - Dalits, the poor, women etc.

Instead of painting Muslims as a monolithic society who needs to fight with arms, more awareness and education is needed so that the animosity goes down.

BTW - please share the news where govt is threatening to ban this organization.

Just because I focus on the Muslims of India, does not mean that other societies and communities in India do not suffer injustices. They do, and I empathize with them dearly. Please do not trivialize the sufferings of others by using them simply to blunt or minimize the sufferings of Muslims.

Just because I focus on the Muslims of India, does not mean that other societies and communities in India do not suffer injustices. They do, and I empathize with them dearly. Please do not trivialize the sufferings of others by using them simply to blunt or minimize the sufferings of Muslims.

what's average income of Muslim houesholds compared to Hindu households? Is the difference more than 5 percent..certainly it would be naive to say that zero discrimination against Muslims take place...smart tackling of issues will put Muslim welfare on a faster track....yes there needs to be a reduction in seeing Muslims as a group and discriminating against Muslims as a group....

I am not trivializing anyone's suffering, but looking at every discrimination from communal angle vitiates the atmosphere further and creates a cycle of conflict. This is not helpful for anyone, least of all the one's who are discriminated against.
Upliftment of society through education and awareness is the real solution, instead of stoking flames of revenge and violence.

I am not trivializing anyone's suffering, but looking at every discrimination from communal angle vitiates the atmosphere further and creates a cycle of conflict. This is not helpful for anyone, least of all the one's who are discriminated against.
Upliftment of society through education and awareness is the real solution, instead of stoking flames of revenge and violence.

I am sure you mean well, but your logic needs some improvement. When discrimination is on the basis of religion, why not say it for what it is?

Also, I have seen you mention this more than once - somehow alluding that I am advocating "revenge and violence". I have never once advocated any violence. I simply want India and the larger Hindu society to stop discriminating against Muslims and demonizing them. My fight is for justice and equality for Muslims in India - to be able to live freely and to practice their faith and customs, without any fear.

I am sure you mean well, but your logic needs some improvement. When discrimination is on the basis of religion, why not say it for what it is?

Also, I have seen you mention this more than once - somehow alluding that I am advocating "revenge and violence". I have never once advocated any violence. I simply want India and the larger Hindu society to stop discriminating against Muslims and demonizing them. My fight is for justice and equality for Muslims in India - to be able to live freely and to practice their faith and customs, without any fear.
And I am sure you mean well too. I am not saying that you personally are advocating violence.
Even if the cause of discrimination in certain instances is purely due to religion (at times, the cause is other like land dispute or personal enmity and people use religion as a crutch), it is better advised to not name any religion but just say it as injustice or discrimination. This way the affected people are likely to get support of all.
If you make it a Muslim vs Hindu issue, then the moderate Hindus will feel hesitant in supporting the victims who happen to be Muslims.

In that case no one gets fair treatment in India. Because Indian constitution is same for everyone irrespective of religion, gender, cast and race.
Ground realities might be different but our law is good and strong .
Unlike our neighbour Pakistan who openly has an unequal constitution and where every citizen is not equal by law.

Honest advice - JeIH needs a complete overhaul. It should approach the dilemma of the Indian Muslim in the same way that diaspora Jewish groups have in the west. Organise yourselves along the assumption that all around you are enemies until proven otherwise. You folks are far too naive and trusting of Hindu extremist philosophy. This isn't some negotiation or dawah mission. This is survival amidst an openly hostile population. Take a leaf out of the Jewish ADL, Black Panthers, and other organisations. Accept you're on the back foot. Set up gyms, educational facilities designed to spread counter-propaganda and so on and so forth. Fight vigorously for civil rights. Take the filth on head on as an adversary in courts of law and political fora. Push back against a hostile enemy, rather than trying to "explain" yourselves to those who will never accept your explanation or appeasement. Openly declare them as enemies of you, your people, and the legacy of India's rich Islamic heritage. Gloves off.

If you make it a Muslim vs Hindu issue, then the moderate Hindus will feel hesitant in supporting the victims who happen to be Muslims.

I echo the sentiments of most Muslims in India today when I say we are done with pandering to "moderate Hindus". We really don't care what these "moderate Hindus" think anymore. In the last 30 years, our condition has worsened and it is exactly this mentality that has brought us to the situation we are in. We kept feeding the dragon (I hope you get the allegory here) with what they wanted thinking that the fire of the dragon will never harm us.

I echo the sentiments of most Muslims in India today when I say we are done with pandering to "moderate Hindus". We really don't care what these "moderate Hindus" think anymore. In the last 30 years, our condition has worsened and it is exactly this mentality that has brought us to the situation we are in. We kept feeding the dragon (I hope you get the allegory here) with what they wanted thinking that the fire of the dragon will never harm us.
How do I believe your view is representative of sentiments of most Indian muslims. Have you been elected or endorsed by any Indian Muslim organization. Can you atleast get the endorsement of even 5 Indian Muslims in PDF to your above statement?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom