What's new

The J-20-engine discussion is over and other speculative topics ... to separate from the J-20-news !

The third gen WS-10A is 13200 kg with a TWR of 7.5.

View attachment 423116

The 7th Five Year Plan (“七五”) is the initiative began in 1986 and ended in 1990. This is exactly what I refer to as "the target performances set in the late 1980s". WS-10A was as well abandoned and replaced by WS-10B1.

Another interesting theory here sometimes proposed by certain members also crashed like a house of cards. :unsure:

Some said the current engine is a hybrid - or like I said FRANKENSTEIN - engine using the WS-15's core and parts from the WS-10 + AL-31. :crazy:

回复@左手王ZSW:自然不会是真
pcmoren_huaixiao_org.png
//@左手王ZSW:曾闻言歼20使用的WS-10改进型是ws15的芯套了个ws10的壳...不知道是真是假

http://weibo.wbdacdn.com/user/1496809922/page3.html#utm_source=ifvisible

With some help at the SDF, here's a verbatim translation:
---------------------------------------------------------

左手王ZSW asks pupu-2012, "I heard a rumor that WS-10 fitted on the J-20 has WS-15's core wrapped in WS-10's casing... Don't know if this is true or not."

pupu-2012 replies to 左手王ZSW, "Naturally NOT true."
End translation

So contrary to what some fan-boys always potsed, Pupu unambiguously and categorically refuted it. :-)

Oh, these are bad days for chest-bumping fan-boys. :rofl:

Anyway, like others already said: A Chinese engine financial on the PLAAF's premier fighter is a great achievement and worth to celebrate. :yahoo:

Deino

Last edited:
what domestic engine variant is that? the j20a ws-10b has yet to take to the sky....
By the time pictures start surfacing with a domestic engine, they would have been testing the engines on J20 long before that. That's why official media was claiming it had domestic engine all along. To be fair to Deino, the media did not claim all J-20s were using domestic engines, they only said J-20s are using domestic engines.

Does @Asoka still believe in his WS-15 theory? Seems like the WS-10X revelation proved him wrong...

By the time pictures start surfacing with a domestic engine, they would have been testing the engines on J20 long before that. That's why official media was claiming it had domestic engine all along. To be fair to Deino, the media did not claim all J-20s were using domestic engines, they only said J-20s are using domestic engines.

No, plain and simple NO !

These latest reports all say clearly this is a new prototype; actually the first one fitted with a WS-10. So even if this engine was already installed some time ago and that report might wanted to hint on it, it never flew by then (not even now) and no other J-20 so far uses this engine.

So just accept that report is wrong, maybe over-enthusiastically in anticipation that the WS-10 WILL power the J-20, that reporter said it already does. But that's wrong. End of the story.

Deino

These latest reports all say clearly this is a new prototype; actually the first one fitted with a WS-10. So even if this engine was already installed some time ago and that report might wanted to hint on it, it never flew by then (not even now) and no other J-20 so far uses this engine.

So just accept that report is wrong, maybe over-enthusiastically in anticipation that the WS-10 WILL power the J-20, that reporter said it already does. But that's wrong. End of the story.

Deino
Do you know if the PLAAF is satisfied with their performance as to enter batch production ...

Deino
What report Deino, it was only a picture to begin with and some commentaries from unknown sources.

Another interesting theory here sometimes proposed by certain members also crashed like a house of cards. :unsure:

Some said the current engine is a hybrid - or like I said FRANKENSTEIN - engine using the WS-15's core and parts from the WS-10 + AL-31. :crazy:

左手王ZSW asks pupu-2012, "I heard a rumor that WS-10 fitted on the J-20 has WS-15's core wrapped in WS-10's casing... Don't know if this is true or not."

End translation

So contrary to what some fan-boys always potsed, Pupu unambiguously and categorically refuted it. :-)

Anyway, like others already said: A Chinese engine financial on the PLAAF's premier fighter is a great achievement and worth to celebrate. :yahoo:

Deino
So Pupu just refuted @Asoka's theory? Wonder what the latter has to say ...

What report Deino, it was only a picture to begin with and some commentaries from unknown sources.
I'm pretty sure it was leaked and confirmed by some "Big Shrimps", who possibly visited it on site. I'd trust them with these predictions ... that's what they do

what domestic engine variant is that? the j20a ws-10b has yet to take to the sky....
That's obviously a WS-10X variant ... most likely a WS-10B.

That report from pupu !

Please don't take this as an offence and I know, hope is the last thing that dies ... but do You really think they fitted AL-31 first, then a secret Chinese engine which is mentioned in that CCTV-report and all J-20s operational are using it, now a so far not flown WS-10B-powered aircraft appears and in a few years they will fit the WS-15 ???

Deino

That report from pupu !

Please don't take this as an offence and I know, hope is the last thing that dies ... but do You really think they fitted AL-31 first, then a secret Chinese engine which is mentioned in that CCTV-report and all J-20s operational are using it, now a so far not flown WS-10B-powered aircraft appears and in a few years they will fit the WS-15 ???

Deino
No don't get me wrong Deino, I am not that naive, I believe the PLA tested many engines, AL-31, WS-X, etc. The point I am trying to say is if the news is out now, it would have been already done a year or two back. This is how Chinese military operates. They will only reveal something they had already done. That's why CCTV report does not contradict this at all nor doe sit contradict you. The CCTV report says that J20 is using a domestic engine, it didn't say no AL-31X were ever tested or evaluated or flown on J-20s before.

Btw, the picture/commentary from PUPU just says WS-XX on J-20 prototype, no mention on when it was tested, etc. It is not even official.

No don't get me wrong Deino, I am not that naive, I believe the PLA tested many engines, AL-31, WS-X, etc. The point I am trying to say is if the news is out now, it would have been already done a year or two back. This is how Chinese military operates. They will only reveal something they had already done. That's why CCTV report does not contradict this at all nor doe sit contradict you. The CCTV report says that J20 is using a domestic engine, it didn't say no AL-31X were ever tested or evaluated or flown on J-20s before.
Testing different engines involves substantial internal redesign of an aircraft, especially since the Taihang series is quite different than the AL-31F series. It's not as simple as inserting them and switching engines at will ... which is why the J-20 probably has used the AL-31F series up until now ...

End translation

Deino
I would rather them be testing a WS-15 "Frankenstein" engine than the current WS-10X ... but it's a steep improvement nonetheless :enjoy:

Testing different engines involves substantial internal redesign of an aircraft, especially since the Taihang series is quite different than the AL-31F series. It's not as simple as inserting them and switching engines at will ... which is why the J-20 probably has used the AL-31F series up until now ...
I am no engine expert, but judging by Chinese experimentation activities, I would not rule out Al-xx and WS-xx were tested, after all, physically WS-XX is similar to AL-xx? As for WS-15, that's too far fetched, maybe in the near future but definitely not now.

That not totally impossible sir their few example of that B-2 F-118 uses core and other tech from F-110, WS-10 uses the core of CFM-56 and its other tech

That not totally impossible sir their few example of that B-2 F-118 uses core and other tech from F-110, WS-10 uses the core of CFM-56 and its other tech

Again. It is surely not impossible to use in-house technologies at General Electric from the F110 in the F118 since they are from the same designer& manufactor. In the same way Salut or Saturn use more modern technologies from the one AL-31-family member in another one, but it is not possible to use a WS-15 core - by the way how confirmed is that this part is production-ready ?? - mate it with the WS-10's fan-section and add an afterburner-nozzle from a AL-31FN.

That's technical nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom