What's new

The Iraqi Armed Forces

450x299_q75.jpg

450x311_q75.jpg

450x300_q75.jpg

iraq2007-b-fall011.jpg

Photo%252520%252523%25252058.JPG

Iraqi_MRAP.jpg

@Alshawi1234 : What are the projected procurement requirements of the Iraqi Army, Airforce & Navy in the next 5-10 years ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Alshawi1234 : What are the projected procurement requirements of the Iraqi Army, Airforce & Navy in the next 5-10 years ?

Navy:
Al Basra and Al Fayhaa (Names of the two new 60m vessels) will be "squadron leads" for the two Iraqi navy squadrons.

each squadron will have:

1 x OSV
2 x Saettia mk IV long range patrol ships
6 x Swiftships Patrol boats

the predators and smaller vessels will be for use in inshore areas only.

For the air forces there is about 10 squadrons planned each of 18 fighters. 36 F-16 Block 52 are on order. Russian MIG29M2/ MIG35 have been approved for sale and waiting for final contract. Iraq might be buying 24 MIG29M2 which were originally built for Syria but were never delivered.

The new arms delegation arrived to Iraq from Russia a few days ago and has made a new list of military shopping which will include “two aircrafts which haven’t been exported before”. These will probably be MI 28N and the MIG35. There have also has been news of a “missile system” for $210 which is probably the S300PMU2.

For the Land forces there is plans to auaire 700 Abrahms tanks. 420 BTR 4 have been ordered as well as over 15,000 armored mobility vehicles and over thousands of Pickup American trucks and different APC’s. There are plans to aquire another 1000 tanks other than the abrahms as well. There are about 200 t-72s and 140 M1A1Tusk right now.

spaceout.gif

@Alshawi1234 : Any plans of going for Pakistani &/or Chinese equipments ?

Perhaps J-10Bs or JF-17s for the Airforce.

Perhaps the F-22P Frigates, the Agosta 90B subs or some of the new Chinese Corvettes, Destroyers, Frigates & Subs coming up ?

Perhaps the Al-Khalid MBTs or their Chinese counterparts ?

Perhaps ATGMs & other arms & ammunition from us ?

4870965026_f82a7283f9.jpg

Future approved Iraqi weapons

MI-28

AIR_Mi-28N_Klimov_lg.jpg

Panstir S-1
Pantsir-S1_(tracked)_-_Engineering_Technologies_2012_-1.jpg

s300pmu2
2prxkkw.jpg

MIG-29M2
234914.jpg

F 16 Block 52 (36 on order)
F-16-Fighting-Falcon-Multirole-Fighter-Aircraft.jpg

L 159 (modified for Iraqi specifications) 28 on order, deliveries start in a few months.
L-159-ALCA-(Advanced-Light-Combat-Aircraft)-20-R0YD194C2N-1024x768.jpg

By 2020 Iraq might be able to get the SU35 by 2020, but so far there is no promises.
SU-35-600x400.jpg

@Alshawi1234 : Any plans of going for Pakistani &/or Chinese equipments ?

Perhaps J-10Bs or JF-17s for the Airforce.

Perhaps the F-22P Frigates, the Agosta 90B subs or some of the new Chinese Corvettes, Destroyers, Frigates & Subs coming up ?

Perhaps the Al-Khalid MBTs or their Chinese counterparts ?

Perhaps ATGMs & other arms & ammunition from us ?

So far there is no talks about Pakistani or Chinese equipment. But the Iraqi land forces do use the Al-Khalid MBTs although in limited numbers. The Pakistan-Iraq relations are limited although there has been recent contracts for Pakistani companies in the oil sector.

There is not big plans for the navy. Iraq's coastal borders are not really big and I doubt there is intentions for Chinese naval crafts. Iraq did contract china for transport ships but no military deals. The navy will most probably be focused on defence systems such as mine-sweeping, anti-submarine anti-ship systems. But I doubt there are any plans for large submarines or destroyers in the near future.

Arming the navy is quite expensive compared to the limited role it provides for Iraq. so there is not much money being spent on the navy.

So far there is no talks about Pakistani or Chinese equipment. But the Iraqi land forces do use the Al-Khalid MBTs although in limited numbers. The Pakistan-Iraq relations are limited although there has been recent contracts for Pakistani companies in the oil sector.

There is not big plans for the navy. Iraq's coastal borders are not really big and I doubt there is intentions for Chinese naval crafts. Iraq did contract china for transport ships but no military deals. The navy will most probably be focused on defence systems such as mine-sweeping, anti-submarine anti-ship systems. But I doubt there are any plans for large submarines or destroyers in the near future.

Arming the navy is quite expensive compared to the limited role it provides for Iraq. so there is not much money being spent on the navy.

You do ! :blink:

Is there any source for that ?

Back
Top Bottom