What's new

The Indomitable Indian Spirit : Making Impossible to Possible

One can't clap with one hand only. Both hands are mandatory for clapping. In ours case problems were generated by both sides, at least that's what my understanding says. Thank you.

Yes, to add to that, let me add, 'Patriotism doesn't work in empty stomach', it's sad to say that common people sometimes forget that scientists too are human, with kids and families. A man aged in his 30s should have some enthusiasm to continue for his PhD, and that monthly stipend of 15000 doesn't cut it.

So we see a sharp contrast between western and Indian education.
yes and one recent example. At my son's school (he is in Prep class) they gave him an assignment about birds. He was asked to paste pics of atleast 10 birds out of 25 odd given in their textbook. As usual my wife downloaded pics, printed and then pasted them on his workbook. The kid contributed by adding his expert comments like Paste properly, i want workbook with Bheem's sticker etc.
I've a friend working in UK and has a daughter same age of my son. Some time back we were chatting and this issue of kids study came up. In a similar homework, she was asked to observe different flowers in the vicinity of their house and write a few lines about them. This method i'm sure led the kid to do bit of outdoor work.
and here lies the difference in education systems. We are actually encouraging kids to comply to some set norms (read system) where as we should be targeting them to become thinkers and improve their analytic abilities. Till that happens, alas there is little hope from this education system.

I have done my Btech from IIT delhi from Electrical Engineering and wanted to go into research in an Indian institution but the cutthroat competition and meagre salaries forced me to look at MBA as a career option (I gave CAT just for the sake of giving and found the xam ridiculously tilted in fovour of Engineers). I got a healthy percentile and i ended up taking admission in IIM-L. I miss my technical studies but i come from a humble background forced me to drool more at gandhiji(on the currency notes)...rather than doing something i loved but promised less financial spine...

I have done my Btech from IIT delhi from Electrical Engineering and wanted to go into research in an Indian institution but the cutthroat competition and meagre salaries forced me to look at MBA as a career option (I gave CAT just for the sake of giving and found the xam ridiculously tilted in fovour of Engineers). I got a healthy percentile and i ended up taking admission in IIM-L. I miss my technical studies but i come from a humble background forced me to drool more at gandhiji(on the currency notes)...rather than doing something i loved but promised less financial spine...

You could have applied for fully funded PhD abroad.

So lets get back to reality guys i am not happy with indian universities performance as they consistently fail to make it to even the top 200 in the workd . @XiNiX @Skull and Bones

NEW DELHI: Asia has done well in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2014-15. But India has not only failed yet again to make it to the top 200, it has also dropped further down the list.
Punjab University, which dropped from 226-250 in 2013-14 rankings to 276-300 this year, continues to be India's top-ranked university on the list along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, which has made its entry to the rankings for the first time.
The second and third best Indian universities as per the Times Higher Education rankings — IIT Mumbai and IIT Roorkee, respectively — do not even feature among the top 350.

On the other hand, Japan has five universities in the top 200, Republic of Korea and Hong Kong have four each, China has three and Singapore has two.

"It is good news that India now has two universities in the world top 300, compared to just one last year, thanks to the participation for the first time in the rankings this year of the Indian Institute of Science, which can now be included in the analysis after starting to admit undergraduate students," said Phil Baty, editor of Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

"IISc joins Panjab University in the 276-300 group. But it should be a cause for serious concern that a country of India's size, growing economic strength and great intellectual history, does not yet have a top-200 entrant, and does not seem to be making enough progress up the rankings."

44048520.cms

Baty said the world rankings were extremely competitive since many countries put serious resources into improving the global profile and performance of their universities as part of their economic growth plans, and "India needs to ensure it does not fall too far behind".

So what roadblocks get in the way of Indian universities doing well in global rankings? "This has been discussed in the vice-chancellors' retreat as well," said Sudhir Kumar Sopory, vice-chancellor, Jawaharlal Nehru University.

Baty said the world rankings were extremely competitive since many countries put serious resources into improving the global profile and performance of their universities as part of their economic growth plans, and "India needs to ensure it does not fall too far behind".

So what roadblocks get in the way of Indian universities doing well in global rankings? "This has been discussed in the vice-chancellors' retreat as well," said Sudhir Kumar Sopory, vice-chancellor, Jawaharlal Nehru University.

"Because some of the parameters we don't fit into in the world rankings of THE (Times Higher Education) or QS. Some of the departments do get featured but as a university like JNU, we lose points as we don't have undergraduate programmes. We've to relook at the whole system of ranking. IIT Madras is working on developing an internal ranking system for Indian universities which will come up with some solution whereby we can place ourselves in the global rankings more successfully."

Indian universities fail to make it to top 200 of Times list - The Times of India

@Skull and Bones those PhDs give more emphasis to your profile and i kinda ruined my profile in graduation i had 5.9 GPA it was one of the main reasons i couldn`t get IIM-A too.

@Skull and Bones those PhDs give more emphasis to your profile and i kinda ruined my profile in graduation i had 5.9 GPA it was one of the main reasons i couldn`t get IIM-A too.

You get to choose university based on your profile, not top 100 but even top 200-300 is better than many premier Indian universities. There are many such examples, where people got admit in good universities with weak profile.

So lets get back to reality guys i am not happy with indian universities performance as they consistently fail to make it to even the top 200 in the workd . @XiNiX @Skull and Bones

Ranking is a gimmick, though it doesn't hurt to get into good ranking. IIT and IIMs will never be good in ranking because they are not full fledged universities, but highly specialized institutions.

@Skull and Bones Yeah you are right i did do a lot of digging with respect to that and zeroed in upon one of the universities offering a research fellowship in Electrical Machines and Drives...But seniors advised that IISc and IIT Kgp had better research program with respect to them and i wanted to try my hand at competitive exams again thinking i did it once why not again....but belive me post grad exams are tougher in INDIA w.r.t. undergrad....i overestimated myself and ended uplosing a year and being desperate for anything that guarantees a job...

Good to know about your career ..Managing things in proper order and getting expected result comes under technological field but tougher will be managing people to get expected result ..you are doing good ..be happy

@Skull and Bones Yeah you are right i did do a lot of digging with respect to that and zeroed in upon one of the universities offering a research fellowship in Electrical Machines and Drives...But seniors advised that IISc and IIT Kgp had better research program with respect to them and i wanted to try my hand at competitive exams again thinking i did it once why not again....but belive me post grad exams are tougher in INDIA w.r.t. undergrad....i overestimated myself and ended uplosing a year and being desperate for anything that guarantees a job...

I wasted 2 years after undergrad, one for zeroing to the university, and when i was about to join, my father died.

@Skull and Bones My condolances mate...You must be one strong guy to go through all that and not let other factors deter u mate...i coudnt handle the pressure for one year mainly becoz of those pesky relatives who tend to show up only when u are at your lowest...their constant nagging got to me...do you happen to be an engineer as well???

@Skull and Bones My condolances mate...You must be one strong guy to go through all that and not let other factors deter u mate...i coudnt handle the pressure for one year mainly becoz of those pesky relatives who tend to show up only when u are at your lowest...their constant nagging got to me...do you happen to be an engineer as well???

Yes, BTech in Electronics and Telecom, M.S in Nanoelectronics and Nanophotonics, PhD probably in Graphene based Nanoelectronics.

Back
Top Bottom