The ICC- Dhoni- and BCCI

JonAsad

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
New Delhi, Wed, Mar 02 2011
Dhoni 'rages against the machine'

India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit out at the controversial Umpire Decision Review System (URDS) after a key decision went against his side in their dramatic World Cup tie with England.

England, replying to India's 338 all out after Sachin Tendulkar's record-breaking fifth hundred in World Cup cricket, finished on 338 for eight following a magnificent career-best 158 from captain Andrew Strauss.

Left-handed opener Strauss shared a vital third-wicket partnership of 170 with Ian Bell (69).

But their stand was worth just 52 when left-arm spinner Yuvraj Singh thought he had Bell lbw on review for 17, with replays showing the ball would have hit the stumps.

Bell had started to walk off but because New Zealand umpire Billy Bowden's verdict was not out, the decision was returned to him by Australian replay official Rod Tucker and the Kiwi deemed Bell to be too far down the pitch.

However, a capacity crowd of mainly passionate India fans were left bemused having seen Bell 'dismissed' on the Chinnaswamy Stadium's giant replay screens.

Bell himself clearly thought he was out, walking off the pitch before his clearly unexpected reprieve and Dhoni too couldn't understand why he was allowed to continue his innings.

India have stood alone amongst major nations in refusing to use UDRS in Tests after getting on the wrong side of the system during a series away to Sri Lanka in 2008 where several reviews went against them.

"The adulteration of technology with human thinking meant we didn't get that (Bell) wicket," said Dhoni.

He was unhappy with the instruction to umpires at this World Cup that says if a batsman is more than 2.5 metres down the pitch he should be given not out, unless the ball would have hit middle stump.

It was not certain if Bell's middle stump would have been knocked over but Dhoni said: "If Hawkeye says it's good and going to hit middle stump, I see no reason why the distance matters.

"Simon (Taufel) once gave me out (like that) in the Champions Trophy. If I can be given out, why not any other batsman? It is pretty difficult for me, what I saw was ball hitting the stumps."

Dhoni praised left-arm quick Zaheer Khan for a burst of three wickets for one run in six balls, including two in two to get rid of Bell and Strauss, that swung the match back India's way when England were on course for victory.

"Well you know the way they were going, I think they got off to a very good start, I think Andrew (Strauss) batted really well. There was a time I think where it seemed they were going to chase the score in 48, 49 overs," he said.

He added: "We could not win the match, but England too could not finish the game, both teams were facing defeat or victory at some point."

England needed 14 off the last over, from seamer Munaf Patel, but managed just 13 despite a third ball six from tailender Ajmal Shahzad.

But Dhoni said it was India's fielding, long their Achilles heel, that had cost them a second victory of this tournament to set alongside their 87-run opening win over fellow co-hosts Bangladesh.

"We could have fielded better. With this tie, everyone in the team will realise that even one run is important," said the captain.
Link

=================================================

Kolkata, Wed, Mar 02 2011
ICC has double standards: Dalmiya

A few days after Jagmohan Dalmiya, the president of the Cricket Association of Bengal, accused the ICC of a conspiracy to take the India-England match away from the Eden Gardens, he took his battle a step further and accused the ICC of double standards, claiming the that the venue for the World Cup final - the Wankhede Stadium - should not get clearance by means of hosting a Twenty20 match.

Reacting to reports that ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat was satisfied with Wankhede's progress after it hosted a T20 match recently, Dalmiya argued it's not a yardstick as per the Stadium Agreement of the World Cup.

"It's in a bad taste to criticise. But the fact remains that they are yet to host a Test, ODI or a first class match. You all know what is a first class match," Dalmiya said.

"It's a question of damage of prestige. What is this, we all want to know. Be man enough and come forward," Dalmiya told reporters, challenging ICC's stand on Wankhede which will host the final on April 2.

"I challenge the ICC's stand. One cannot do it. I've all the records with me to substantiate it. Let them come forward and take my challenge. We want to know who are the (ICC) experts, from where they have come.

"People who live in glass houses, should not throw stones at others. That's the only thing that haunts me. It's a case of double standards."

Dalmiya also shot off a letter to BCCI secretary, N Srinvasan, on Tuesday.

"According to the ICC's Stadium Agreement, at least two Tests or ODIs or an entire season of first class cricket or matches at the highest level will be played minimum six months prior to the commencement of the event," he stated.

"Twenty20 matches at the local level were certainly not a yardstick and that too the matches were played only in February this year. Surprisingly, the ICC experts cleared the venue, going beyond their ambit."

Dalmiya also had a word of praise for the BCCI for taking up their case with the ICC.

"We had asked them (ICC) to give us an extension till February 7 and the BCCI did not sweep it under the carpet. They took it up and we are grateful at them."

The Wankhede hosted the MCA T20 championship semifinal between Mumbai Police Gymkhana and Fort Vijay Cricket Club on February 27, in what was its first build-up match ahead of the World Cup.

ICC chief executive Lorgat had earlier said: "I have said earlier there were Twenty20 matches that have been played there and the stadium has been inspected. We have experts whom I can assure you will not pass the stadium unless they are satisfied with its preparedness."
Link

Dhoni should read rules first: ICC

The International Cricket Council on Tuesday advised India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni to read the rules related to Umpire Decision Review System (UDRS) before questioning the implementation of technology during the matches.

Dhoni, who is not in favour of using the UDRS, had yet again posed a question mark over the system following the controversy surrounding Ian Bell's decision in the tied World Cup game with England on Sunday.

"Adulteration of technology with human thinking is bad. That's why we didn't get that wicket. Hopefully, next time it will be either technology or human intention," Dhoni had said after the match.

ICC general manager, Dave Richardson, said Dhoni should be aware of the rules before commenting.

"There are a set of rules along with the hawk-eye to assist in making the decision when UDRS is implemented ... Most of the time, a player is not fully aware of all the rules," Richardson said.

"If Dhoni is made aware of the specifications of these rules, then I am sure that he will accept the Bell decision," Richardson told a television channel.

The TV replays had showed that the ball bowled by Yuvraj Singh would have hit stumps but umpires ruled not out even after the review of the call.

"If the Hawkeye says it's going to hit the stumps, then there is no reason (why an appeal should be turned down)," Dhoni had said.

UDRS is being used in the World Cup for the first time.
Link

BCCI write to ICC over remarks against Dhoni

The BCCI on Wednesday slammed ICC General Manager Dave Richardson for criticising Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni as the latter had expressed his grouse on the UDRS.

In a letter to the ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat, BCCI Secretary N. Srinivasan said Richardson has no business to criticise Dhoni and he should be instructed not to do so in future.

"BCCI takes strong objection to David Richardson criticising Dhoni. Richardson's comment that the Indian captain should know the rule is out of place. The Indian captain only highlighted the inadequacy of the system and rightly so. It was there for the world to see. Mr Richardson has no right to do so," Srinivasan said in the letter.

Dhoni had questioned "adulteration of technology with human thinking" when England batsman Ian Bell was ruled not out off a Yuvraj Singh delivery even after TV replays showed that the ball would have hit stumps, leading to Richardson asking the Indian captain to read the rules related to UDRS first before criticising it.

Mr. Srinivasan went on the say that Richardson's comments on the issue was tantamount to pressurising Dhoni when the World Cup is going on.

"For ICC's representative to criticise a player for his post match press conference while the World Cup is being played tantamount to pressurising the player. BCCI has strong reservations about the statement made by Mr. Richardson. He should be instructed not to react in this fashion," he said.

The Cricket Board pointed out that it had consistently opposed the UDRS and it is still not convinced about the technical adequacy of the system.

"The inadequacy of the UDRS has been exposed in the CWC 2011. The group stage match between India and England was a case in point which clearly brought out the inadequacy of the system. ICC in consultation with Hawk Eye formed playing conditions which specifies when the umpire can rely on Hawk Eye and when he cannot. This itself is an admission on the question of reliability of the system including ball tracking technology."
Link

Interesting developments over just a wrong umpire decision-

i dont think so ICC have to apologize dhoni and BCCI should appologize becoz of their mindset all teams including indian board have accepted this system before the wc than why vrying now

BCCI and dhoni should appologize before the wc all boards have accpted this system why they are crying now

Back
Top Bottom