What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

11088247_696573470453146_8437009207107910408_n.jpg

Cranberry juice may fight fatal diseases

913068-image-1435765772-990-640x480.JPG

Polyphenols present in cranberries support the body’s natural defences.

NEW YORK: Drinking low-calorie cranberry juice cocktail may help lower the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease, diabetes and stroke, says a study. Cranberries provide a rich source of protective compounds called polyphenols, which support the body’s natural defences and help achieve a balanced lifestyle to improve health.

To find the effectiveness of polyphenol-rich cranberries, researchers from the United States Department of Agriculture provided eight weeks’ worth of meals to 56 healthy adult volunteers, average 50 years of age. “At the start and end of the experiment, the researchers measured things, such as blood pressure, blood sugar levels, blood lipids, as well as C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation,” said Christina Khoo, director of Research Sciences at Ocean Spray.

One group drank a glass of low-calorie cranberry juice twice daily. The other group drank a placebo beverage with similar colour and flavour. Individuals drinking two glasses of low-calorie cranberry juice a day improved across all the said measures. It’s a change that adds up and could be associated with a 10 per cent lower risk of heart disease and a 15 per cent lower risk of stroke.

“These findings suggest that polyphenols help protect our bodies, and may be adept at keeping a large number of ailments at bay,” Khoo said. The study appeared in the Journal of Nutrition.

........... . . . . .

Eating citrus fruits may increase risk of skin cancer

Frequent consumption of citrus fruits – whole grapefruit and orange juice – may be associated with an increased risk of melanoma, a type of skin cancer, says a large study.

Analysing dietary patterns among more than 100,000 people in the US, the researchers found that melanoma risk was 36 per cent higher in people who consumed citrus fruit or juice at least 1.6 times daily compared to those who consumed them less than twice per week.

Consumption of grapefruit and oranges was not associated with an increased risk for any other non-skin cancers.

“While our findings suggest that people who consume large amounts of whole grapefruit or orange juice may be at increased risk for melanoma, we need much more research before any concrete recommendations can be made,” said lead study author Shaowei Wu, postdoctoral research fellow at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.

“At this time, we do not advise that people cut back on citrus – but those who consume a lot of grapefruit and/or orange juice should be particularly careful to avoid prolonged sun exposure,” Wu noted.

cs11.jpg

The apparent link between melanoma and citrus fruit consumption may be due to high levels of substances called furocoumarins found in citrus fruits, the researchers pointed out.

Prior research showed that furocoumarins make the skin more sensitive to sunlight, including to melanoma-causing ultraviolet (UV) rays.

The new study involved over 100,000 men and women in the US. Over a follow-up period of up to 26 years, 1,840 study participants were diagnosed with melanoma.

Higher overall citrus fruit consumption (the total number of servings of whole grapefruit, whole oranges, and juices from those fruits) was associated with increased risk of malignant melanoma in both men and women.

The association was strongest for grapefruit, followed by orange juice.

I used to swim when I was young.....not anymore ! :(

There's a good perk to the gym i'm a member of. After swimming they have a steam bath available so some of the guys i swim with are always in the steam bath afterwards. Really good place to de-stress and just chew the fat with. A form of de-stress for me.

You should get back to swimming, buddy. Its good for you. And by the way, how's y our leg / ankle doing? Feeling / healing better?

There's a good perk to the gym i'm a member of. After swimming they have a steam bath available so some of the guys i swim with are always in the steam bath afterwards. Really good place to de-stress and just chew the fat with. A form of de-stress for me.

You should get back to swimming, buddy. Its good for you. And by the way, how's y our leg / ankle doing? Feeling / healing better?

I would...I would; unfortunately due to the Dengue Virus outbreak a few years ago my local Swimming Pool has been close for some years now ! :(

Yup the ankle is doing fine....thank you for asking ! :)

I would...I would; unfortunately due to the Dengue Virus outbreak a few years ago my local Swimming Pool has been close for some years now ! :(

Yup the ankle is doing fine....thank you for asking ! :)

I'm glad to know you're ankle is getting better buddy. For me, one thing i started is the mediterranean diet that my nutritionist put me in. So yea, eating foods that i'm not used to, lots of whole grain, flax seeds, lots of nuts and avocadoes, and whole lot of greens. Need to control my cholesterol level because it was a bit high...oddly enough...

Dear God! I'm so sad to hear that, did they not clear up the pool issue now?

most of such articles and "Research" pieces are paid for by interested groups for commercial reason, so don't believe everything you read.

Cranberry juice may fight fatal diseases

913068-image-1435765772-990-640x480.JPG

Polyphenols present in cranberries support the body’s natural defences.

NEW YORK: Drinking low-calorie cranberry juice cocktail may help lower the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease, diabetes and stroke, says a study. Cranberries provide a rich source of protective compounds called polyphenols, which support the body’s natural defences and help achieve a balanced lifestyle to improve health.

To find the effectiveness of polyphenol-rich cranberries, researchers from the United States Department of Agriculture provided eight weeks’ worth of meals to 56 healthy adult volunteers, average 50 years of age. “At the start and end of the experiment, the researchers measured things, such as blood pressure, blood sugar levels, blood lipids, as well as C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation,” said Christina Khoo, director of Research Sciences at Ocean Spray.

One group drank a glass of low-calorie cranberry juice twice daily. The other group drank a placebo beverage with similar colour and flavour. Individuals drinking two glasses of low-calorie cranberry juice a day improved across all the said measures. It’s a change that adds up and could be associated with a 10 per cent lower risk of heart disease and a 15 per cent lower risk of stroke.

“These findings suggest that polyphenols help protect our bodies, and may be adept at keeping a large number of ailments at bay,” Khoo said. The study appeared in the Journal of Nutrition.

........... . . . . .

Back
Top Bottom