What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

Great triceps workout. If your triceps are weak then forget about trying to lift heavy when doing bench press. Tricpes also makes your arms look bigger as the muscles are larger.

1512810_736157409769830_5503301555850856817_n.jpg

The most i weighed was 72 kgs. Not really fat but i went huge. Was benching and doing squats a lot. Before i used to be very skinny. To gain weight i ate a lot of chicken and used Progain Protein shake. Leg presses and Squats played a huge role in my exercise routine. Last year i lost a lot of weight because i couldn't asked training so much and eating so much. So i dropped 10kgs in few months. I plan on going upto 70kgs again but this time i want less body fat and more muscle mass. I use Protein 90+ protein shake.

Long story short if you want to lose weight burn more calories then consuming them. but its hard. Avoid desi food please. Specially our Pakistani heavy foods such as gosht salan. biryani, korma, nihari paye etc. You can eat curry few times in a week as some curry is supposed to be good for us because of the natural herbs and spices we use.
Eat lots of vegs. lentils is also very light and natural source of protein. beans. make sure you drink enough water. 10 glasses of water per day should be minimum.
This was roughly my exercise plan.
(Leg press should be the last exercise, never do them before getting on to tread mill).
Monday: Bench press. Leg press. Triceps & biceps. 20 mins cycling or running at the end. Go really fast in last 2 mins.

Tuesday: Cardio, cycling, running and rowing. Sit ups and curls.

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Shoulder press, upper and lower back exercises. 20 mins running same as Monday.

Friday: 30 mins jogging, 15 mins cycling, 20 mins rowing.

Saturday: Biceps, Triceps & bench press, cycling/running 20 mins again.

Sunday: Rest.
So you want to gain lean quality muscle while keeping a lean athletic build???,
If yes, check up freeletics, you will love and hate it at the same time, they are hard as hell but will give you the results in a matter of weeks, I gained 4 kgs in 3 months and at the same time got more vascular and shredded....

So you want to gain lean quality muscle while keeping a lean athletic build???,
If yes, check up freeletics, you will love and hate it at the same time, they are hard as hell but will give you the results in a matter of weeks, I gained 4 kgs in 3 months and at the same time got more vascular and shredded....

I am on a strength gaining program. I do squats and will be doing dead lifts tomorrow. I don't really care about gaining size i am more interested in gaining strength. I have never been a ''big'' guy anyway but in terms of strength i have always lifted heavy.
Anyone wanting to gain pure strength should follow this simple but great program.

Day 1: Squats, 5 sets-5 reps, Bench press 5x5, Barbell row 5x5

One day rest

Day 2: Squat 5x5, Overhead press 5x5, Deadlift (heaviest weight you can lift) 1x5

One day Rest

Day 3: Squat 5x5, Bench press 5x5, Barbell row 5x5

Shoulder press, bicep exercise and tricep workout can be included in any days along with the current program.

Will try this workout starting from tomorrow for about 3-5 months and compare my strength gain.

I am on a strength gaining program. I do squats and will be doing dead lifts tomorrow. I don't really care about gaining size i am more interested in gaining strength. I have never been a ''big'' guy anyway but in terms of strength i have always lifted heavy.
Anyone wanting to gain pure strength should follow this simple but great program.

One day rest

Day 2: Squat 5x5, Overhead press 5x5, Deadlift (heaviest weight you can lift) 1x5

One day Rest

Shoulder press, bicep exercise and tricep workout can be included in any days along with the current program.

Will try this workout starting from tomorrow for about 3-5 months and compare my strength gain.
I wont advise you this routine

muscular imbalance -- in both in upper body and lower body exercises -- in lower body, quads over development as opposed to hams will lead to joint pain / clicking sound while walking when stronger quads will elevate patella etc -- some amount of hams can be it with squats if the heals are moved forward and your bum backwards.. however equal amount of dead lifts are required .. if you cant perform proper deadlifts, then leg curls are very important -- right now you are doing 3 squats sessions and 1 dead lift session /wk

muscular development occurs when you rest the muscle ... not when you do squats three days a week that too, while leaving out other compound exerc.
chin up , wide grip pull down , pec flys are missing--- basic compound exercises
Too extreme?

One day rest

One day Rest

Yeah the stronglifts 5x5 is pretty good for strength gains, I have yet to try it since presently I have goals other than size or strength....

I wont advise you this routine
there is nothing wrong with this routine provided the form is maintained particularly on the deadlifts and rows, they are notorious for blowing out backs, almost blew mine about a year ago....now I have perfected my form as a result

I have done my own research on deadlifts and the pressure it puts on the back. @Manticore bhai is right. I think rest is just as important as exercise and nutrition. Anyway i am going to continue with doing squats but only do deadlifts once a weak combined with leg curls.

sweet.

Thanks for the info.

Try this basic but proven formula...

Take your current weight, whatever it is, and multiply by 10 (x10). This is the minimum your body needs to sustain, not support, all life functions.

For example, and this is the English system, if you weight 160 lbs, your body needs at least 1600 calories intake to support everything, from organs to muscle to fat. It does not mean if you take in 1500 calories, you will die. The human body can support basic life functions at much lower caloric intake than that. Famine victims will die for lack of water before lack of food.

However, because in daily life, even for desk/cubicle workers, we burn calories because of physical activities, so it is usually recommend a caloric intake of a certain X percentage higher, depending on said physical activities. Professional athletes can easily double the caloric intake over minimum, whatever his/her weight at that time, and barely gain any statistically significant weight.

The Average Calorie Intake by a Human Per Day Versus the Recommendation | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Calorie Recommendations, Men
The amount of calories men require each day varies based on their age and activity level. Calorie recommendations decrease with age. The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends men consume 2,000 to 2,600 calories if they’re sedentary, 2,200 to 2,800 calories if they’re moderately active and 2,400 to 3,000 calories per day if they are active.

Calorie Recommendations, Women
Because women generally have a smaller frame and less lean body mass than men, they usually require fewer calories. The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends women consume 1,600 to 2,000 calories if they are sedentary, 1,800 to 2,200 calories if they’re moderately active and 2,000 to 2,400 calories per day if they are active.
So if you want to lose weight, but not increase muscle mass, then eat less, assuming you count calories as best you can. The safest rate is one lb/week. Your weight can fluctuate a couple lbs over 48 hrs, so you will need to monitor your weight over several weeks to notice any consistent rate of gain/loss. Once rate of loss is proven consistent, you can adjust for lower caloric intake to increase rate of loss. But the safest rate is still one lb/week. You will barely feel any hunger pangs and your body will not be 'shocked' into believing there is a food shortage and start making changes known in famine situations, like women will stop ovulating if the body believes there is a famine.

Muscle is heavier than fat, that is well known. So if you want to lose weight and gain muscle mass via physical stresses, aka weight training, then it gets trickier in terms of calorie counting. For the same 160 lbs man, if he decrease his caloric intake to 2000 calories, but double his physical activities, such as walking more at work and go to the gym after work, his body will not allow it. Since fat takes longer to process than glucose to produce energy, he will often have serious hunger pangs throughout the day so 2600 calories may not be enough.

Weight training should not be the primary mean to lose weight. Monitoring caloric intake is but weight training will complicate that monitoring process. That does not mean weight training is somehow 'bad'. Absolutely NOT bad. Physical stresses increases overall health and improves overall bodily functions. But if weight loss is a companion need to that overall health improvement, it just means the person will have to be more conscious and precise in monitoring his/her caloric and nutritional intake to lose weight without adversely affecting his/her weight training program.

Back
Top Bottom