What's new

The growing community of Pakistani Texans

Property prices are half or one third of California. Which is a huge draw. And lots of companies moved there from both coasts.

My doctor friends tell me that there are large communities of Pakistanis in both Dallas and Houston, in the medical field especially.

In Dallas, probably around Plano where current resident scholar Yasir Qadhi leads the congregation at EPIC.

This happens in the first generation. I don't know if their kids will disperse or not.

You had an exodus of people, especially in the heath care fields, to North Carolina and more recently Texas from NY.

Again, generally higher pay potential, cheaper housing, warmer weather, and no state income tax are the main draws.

I think people originally moved to cities like Houston and Dallas but if you ever go to those places, as sprawled out as they are, the traffic sucks.

And it seems the houses which USED to be cheap are all much more expensive.

You may see a migration of people out of those Texas cities to smaller ones.

Regardless, there are MANY Pakistani docs I've met where I am.

Tons of Pakistanis moving to Texas from New York. New York is just literally garbage dump now. Everything in new york is black and Latino. Business, schools, etc etc.
I am looking for a place to move to, whole of US is open but want a good and large Pakistani community, Texas seems like a good option. New York/ New Jersey/ Long Island are horrible. A lot of companies moving from Silicon Valley to Austin, Texas. Need to move before house prices rocket.

I am looking for a place to move to, whole of US is open but want a good and large Pakistani community, Texas seems like a good option. New York/ New Jersey/ Long Island are horrible. A lot of companies moving from Silicon Valley to Austin, Texas. Need to move before house prices rocket.

Texas is a good option.

You generally want to go to a place that will allow you to have more disposable income, nice weather, and some degree of ethnic culture in reasonable proximity.

No one place has all these things for the average middle income or upper middle income person.

If I was a 8 figga ni33a I'd be in NY.

But I'm not so I chose to move to Texas.

Cali is similar to NY in cost.

Middle America IMO sucks overall.

Chicago is an exception. (But damn cold)

Karachi exodus in the 90s with lax immigration laws(sister as wife immigrants) but more importantly no state tax and generally cheap living.

Being a conservative state along with a cheap cost of living makes it a good destination of Pakistanis. Along with no state tax you have one of the best homestead protections in the country after being a Texas resident for 3 years whereas creditors can’t take your sold place of living (only Federal govt. can for child support or back taxes). You remember the Enron case the executives kept their primary home in the end.

I wonder if we have a decent Pakistani community in California?

Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are dispersed in major cities in California, there is no 'Ghetto'.

Since I live in Southern California, I have no idea about Northern California (silicon valley or otherwise).

In Southern California, I'd guess more Bangladeshis (lower income folks) live near downtown and Koreatown in LA. The area is now officially called "little Bangladesh", akin to Bricklane in the London area. Lots of Bangladeshi Halal restaurants and grocery stores but a bit unkempt and filthy, as it is full of immigrants.

iu

The more well-heeled educated Pakistanis and Bangladeshis actually live closer to the city of Cerritos in LA area, which is a nice suburban location, where many Indian families also live. They have a high concentration of mosques in that area, many supported by Pakistani and Bangladeshi folks as congregation points. Property prices are sky high though.

Other loose concentrations of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are in the City of Garden Grove and way out east in the City of Corona. Corona property prices may be similar to or a bit higher than Dallas.

Last edited:
If small cities is fine
Albany is good
Cheap housing, less traffic, educated Pakistani cammunity who mostly work for the State government or universities

Big Islamic centers too
But cold cause it's in NY

Just an hour or 2 train ride away from NYC so on weekends you can experience the big city without actually living in NYC

You had an exodus of people, especially in the heath care fields, to North Carolina and more recently Texas from NY.

Again, generally higher pay potential, cheaper housing, warmer weather, and no state income tax are the main draws.

I think people originally moved to cities like Houston and Dallas but if you ever go to those places, as sprawled out as they are, the traffic sucks.

And it seems the houses which USED to be cheap are all much more expensive.

You may see a migration of people out of those Texas cities to smaller ones.

Regardless, there are MANY Pakistani docs I've met where I am.

I heard Austin is a much cleaner and nicer city, which has really expanded in the last two decades, used to be a sleepy little town before that. Lots of tech jobs in that city. UT main campus is in Austin of course. But I also heard that traffic there sucks just like the other Texas towns. They lack a well-run pubic transport system.

Round Rock North of Austin may be a good residential bet and a close commute to Austin work locations. Dell has their HQ there.

Last edited:
Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are dispersed in major cities in California, there is no 'Ghetto'.

Since I live in Southern California, I have no idea about Northern California (silicon valley or otherwise).

In Southern California, I'd guess more Bangladeshis (lower income folks) live near downtown and Koreatown in LA. The area is now officially called "little Bangladesh", akin to Bricklane in the London area.

iu

The more well-heeled educated Pakistanis and Bangladeshis actually live closer to the city of Cerritos in LA area, where many Indian families also live. They have a high concentration of mosques in that area, many supported by Pakistani and Bangladeshi folks as congregation points.

Other loose concentrations of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are in the City of Garden Grove and way out east in the City of Corona.

I was in LA a few weeks back , was looking for a Halal restaurant and ended up in downtown LA. It was evening time and dark. I parked my car and never felt so unsafe as I did at that place. It was like the land of the living dead. Homeless people wandering and hanging around, some high, some lying on the ground, some begging. Trappers and pushers were in full swing. I couldn't find the restaurant so went back to my car and on the way there was a black man begging for money. I gave him $10 and almost immediately I was surrounded and mobbed by my more homeless, I didn't have any more cash so I dashed into the car. They surrounded the car and started cursing, swearing and shouting when I didn't give any money. One of them started banging on the car window. I drove off quickly as I could, not going back to down town ever again. In fact I think LA is over rated and only because of Hollywood is it on the maps. I flew into Burbank and stayed in Pasadena which is more greener and seems better place to live.

Last edited:
I was in LA a few backs , was looking for a Halal restaurant and ended up in downtown LA. It was evening time and dark. I parked my car and never felt so unsafe as I did at that place. It was like the land of the living dead. Homeless people wandering and hanging around, some high, some lying on the ground, some begging. Trappers and pushers were in full swing. I couldn't find the restaurant so went back to my car and on the way there was a black man begging for money. I gave him $10 and almost immediately I was surrounded and mobbed by my more homeless, I didn't have any more cash so I dashed into the car. They surrounded the car and started cursing, swearing and shouting when I didn't give any money. One of them started banging on the car window. I drove off quickly as I could, not going back to down town ever again. In fact I think LA is over rated and only because of Hollywood is it on the maps. I flew into Burbank and stayed in Pasadena which is more greener and seems better place to live.

Well sorry to hear of your bad luck downtown, most people in LA wouldn't venture downtown unless for work. You ending up there was unfortunate.

Weather is nice, so it attracts the entire trash of the nation, homeless, druggies, zombies you name it. Giving money to these guys is always a no-no.

Pasadena is a nice suburb of Northern part and was famous because all the actors and Hollywood Moghuls used to have mansions there in the roaring twenties, during the Hollywood heyday.

Law and order is a number one concern wherever you go in LA and you have to have a local guide who will help you avoid the areas with trouble and steer you to the nice spots.

Below LA county, there are much nicer neighborhoods in Orange County (OC), and also San Diego (SD) County, which are the most ritzy areas that rival anything in the nation.

There are places like Newport Beach (OC),
iu

Pelican-Hill-Resort-Newport-Beach.jpg

and places like La Jolla (SD) which you have to see to believe.
La-Jolla-Cleaning-Services-San-Diego-MagiCleanMaid.jpg

There is also Catalina Island about 60 miles off the coast of LA, which is a nice getaway for the day,
catalina-island-4086930_1920.jpg

You can take the Catalina flyer there which gets you there at about 60 Knots,
iu

I prefer San Diego to LA.

I like Northern California alot as well.

But too damn expensive.

Chicago would be AWESOME if not for the weather.

Out of all things considered, this is why Texas is such a draw.

The other places can be really nice also but have certain issues.

As for the issues in Texas....?

MAGA nuts/Evangelicals for one.

I CAN NOT believe the things I have overheard from supposedly "educated" people in the physicians lounge regarding Muslims.

I don't EVER talk religion or politics at work, but one time I absolutely felt compelled to speak up.

Not just NYC whole of New York state is flooded with Punjab from small cities like Gujrat, Sargodha to big cities like Lahore with clusters of KP people here and there
maybe only Albany is kinda different, you see some diversity in Pak cammunity

Most working class people came during Reagan era but if you're educated it's a mix bag tbh

Texas has a lot of people in the medical field, there's a growing number of medical professionals also in Florida. Atlanta there's also a sizeable bunch.
I was in LA a few weeks back , was looking for a Halal restaurant and ended up in downtown LA. It was evening time and dark. I parked my car and never felt so unsafe as I did at that place. It was like the land of the living dead. Homeless people wandering and hanging around, some high, some lying on the ground, some begging. Trappers and pushers were in full swing. I couldn't find the restaurant so went back to my car and on the way there was a black man begging for money. I gave him $10 and almost immediately I was surrounded and mobbed by my more homeless, I didn't have any more cash so I dashed into the car. They surrounded the car and started cursing, swearing and shouting when I didn't give any money. One of them started banging on the car window. I drove off quickly as I could, not going back to down town ever again. In fact I think LA is over rated and only because of Hollywood is it on the maps. I flew into Burbank and stayed in Pasadena which is more greener and seems better place to live.

You can thank Gavin Newsom and democrats for that!
why?
I’m from Chicago

I went to Chicago summer 2011, haven't been back there ever since. I remember there was this place called Devon Street and it had a lot of Pakistani and Hyderabadi restaurants.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom