What's new

The Greatest Generals of World

Hey who is the current gr8test general who is leading his country...

Hey who is the current gr8test general who is leading his country...

A great general only leads his army to victories against the enemies and he leaves the duty of leading the country on the shoulders of the politicians and civil servants. A country which has a general as it's political head , that country is surely nothing but a pathetic banana republic.

A great general only leads his army to victories against the enemies and he leaves the duty of leading the country on the shoulders of the politicians and civil servants. A country which has a general as it's political head , that country is surely nothing but a pathetic banana republic.

I m not asking the definition of a gr8 general neither saying he should be the ruler of the country...
Who is now currently the gr8test general...

no one is greater than Khalid bin waleed when it comes to making war strategy against enemy he won with 100 times smalles army against 100 times bigger army of his

Yes , Khalid Bin Waleed RA (Saif Ullah) had devine power .

Vo Nguyen Giap was the Vietminh General who defeated the French at the famous battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954 and liberated Vietnam. He also led Communist Army to triumph over US forces in Vietnam. To the best of my knowledge he is still alive.

IMO General Giap is the greatest living general in the world today. For those who may not have even heard of his name; I would say that it is your loss.

Those people who think the bigot Zia as the greatest modern general; I would say that no amount of logic or facts would convince them to change their minds, so I would leave them to their delusion. After all there is still a "Flat Earth Soceity" in existence.

Last edited:
Vo Nguyen Giap was the Vietminh General who defeated the French at the famous battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954 and liberated Vietnam. He also led Communist Army to triumph over US forces in Vietnam. To the best of my knowledge he is still alive.

IMO General Giap is the greatest living general in the world today. For those who may not have even heard of his name; I would say that it is your loss.

Those people who think the bigot Zia as the greatest modern general; I would say that no amount of logic or facts would convince them to change their minds, so I would leave them to their delusion. After all there is still a "Flat Earth Soceity" in existence.

Vo Nguyen Gap in 2008:
Vo_Nguyen_Giap_2008.jpg

Chandragupta Maurya - if he had not defeated the Greeks the history of the subcontinent would be very much different

And Rajendra Chola - one of the few Tamil Kings who defeated all kings and flew the Tiger flag in the Himalayas and also conquered large parts of moderday Malaysia and Indonesia.

Field Marshal Helmuth van Moltke(26 October 1800 – 24 April 1891)
The father of modern general staff concept and the first implementor of the Auftragstaktik or the mission command concept. Our MDMP , TOE , GSHQ all are credited to this German General's ideas.

10005695rcopy.jpg

Giap was a good general but he really didn't give credit where credit was due.

Decisive battle of Dien Bien Phu

By 1954 “Giap and the Chinese had built a tough, well-equipped, experienced, and dedicated army-a tool awaiting a great task and a master craftsman.” [34] The great task would be the decisive battle of Dien Bien Phu in western Vietnam near Laos, a battle that would end the First Vietnam War and the French presence in Indochina. Evidence suggests that the Vietnamese leadership did not see the opportunity provided by the French reoccupation of the valley until Chinese advisors alerted the Vietnamese, who initially wanted to move through Laos to invade South Vietnam, until convinced otherwise by General Wei Guoqing. [35] Additionally the CMAG would provide the Viet Mihn with a copy of the Navarre Plan, outlining French goals and objectives by the new French Commander in Vietnam.

With the signing of the Korean Armistice in July 1953 China could and would shift additional resources to Vietnam. Specific support provided for the Dien Bien Phu campaign would include planning, logistics, engineering advisors, trucks, rocket and 75mm recoilless rifle battalions, and Soviet Katyusha Rocket Launchers or “Stalin Organs.” A combined headquarters was established as the Dien Bien Phu Campaign Command with General Giap as Commander in Chief with Chinese General Wei Guoqing as General Advisor. [36]

Giap wrote years after the battle that “I felt there needed to be a meeting with the head of the team of friendly military experts who was also present. Generally speaking, relationships between us and friendly military experts ever since the Border Campaign had been excellent. Our friends had given us the benefit of their invaluable experience drawn from the revolutionary war in China and the anti-US war in Korea.” [37] It is interesting that in his account of the battle Giap makes no mention of Chinese material support or advice and planning assistance provided throughout this decisive last battle of the First Vietnam War. The Chinese advisors, such as General Wei Guoqing, are not identified or given any credit by Giap. Perhaps this is understandable given that one of the Chinese advisors would write later that “The greatest shortcoming of the Vietnamese Communists was their fear of letting other people know their weaknesses. They lacked Bolshevist self-criticism.” [38] The siege of Dien Bien Phu was to last 8 weeks with China providing 8,286 tons of supplies, including 4,620 tons of petroleum, 1,360 tons of ammunition, 46 tons of weapons and 1,700 tons of rice from supply depots 600 miles away. [39]

Chinese advisors would be involved at all levels during the battle including digging in the all important Vietnamese artillery into shellproof dugouts, experience learned the hard way in the hills of Korea. [40] In effect the battle of Dien Bien Phu would be planned and assisted by Chinese advisors and fought with Chinese trained, equipped, supplied, transported and fed PAVN troops in a military soup to nuts manner. This support is rarely mentioned as a contributing factor to the Vietnamese victory in 1954 but should be acknowledged in analyzing the battle.

written by Bob Seals
Bob Seals is a retired Army Special Forces officer with service in the 1st and 3rd Special Forces Group, 1st Special Warfare Training Group, SF Command, Security Assistance Training Management Organization, and Special Operations Command-Korea. He is working as an Operations Analyst for General Dynamics Information Technology at the Army Special Operations Digital Training Center, US Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, Fort Bragg, NC.

@ Niaz & Old School
Thank you Gentlemen for helping to revive memories of some great Military personalities.
i remember seeing the autographs (in the visitor's book belonging to a close relation) of Gen. Giap along with personalities like "uncle" Ho Chi Minh, Marshal Chen Yi, Auchinleck, Wavell, Montgomery, Mountbatten and Princess Elizabeth (as Princess Royal).

On this thread, personally i find the "greatest" bit to be a bit of a misnomer; because essentially Generals have to be assessed in particular contexts. Nevertheless many people have made some good presentations.

One General (among others) who has impressed me for some aspects is Gen. Heinz Guderian of the Wehrmacht who used the Panzers to execute what is commonly known as the "Blitzkrieg" which was used so effectively at the beginning of the War in Europe.

Yes the ISI played an important role....but w/o American weapons,their cash fundings and more importantly their supporting presence with Pakistan - the bear would have mauled the ISI into pieces.

Americans truly deserve the credit (not from me..as I would have liked the USSR to exist today) for orchestrating a master plan.

So, if that's the case then why is the US sporting a bloody nose with all its grand superior fire power and military might? while the talibans and alqaeda are merry hopping one province to another?

Weapons don't win wars, Strategy wins wars... True that technology makes a big difference but Ultimately the 'will of the warrior' prevails

So, if that's the case then why is the US sporting a bloody nose with all its grand superior fire power and military might? while the talibans and alqaeda are merry hopping one province to another?

Weapons don't win wars, Strategy wins wars... True that technology makes a big difference but Ultimately the 'will of the warrior' prevails

Yes but dont forget that mujaheddins were getting smoked out like fish by the Russian Hinds before the US stepped in with their Stingers and unlimited amounts of Cash.

Give credit where it is due.Im not taking the credit that is rightfully ISI's but wat im saying is CIA deserves a much much bigger credit than ISI in the whole scheme of things.

Yes but dont forget that mujaheddins were getting smoked out like fish by the Russian Hinds before the US stepped in with their Stingers and unlimited amounts of Cash.

Give credit where it is due.Im not taking the credit that is rightfully ISI's but wat im saying is CIA deserves a much much bigger credit than ISI in the whole scheme of things.

Sure. The Afghan rebels were backed by the largest economic coalition mankind have ever witnessed. Just think about a scenario when the US FED and Saudi SAMA are combined together to support a military campaign.

Maybe I'm a bit late to this thread... but my vote goes to Subutai, Genghis Khan's and Ögedei Khan's primary general. Here's the wiki entry. Seriously, as the entry goes:

He directed more than twenty campaigns in which he conquered thirty-two nations and won sixty-five pitched battles, during which he conquered or overran more territory than any other commander in history.

He also destroyed 2 European armies more than a hundred kilometers apart... within 2 days... maybe I overlooked it, but why wasn't he suggested by anyone?

As for current generals, Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. comes to mind. He was the overall commander of coalition forces in the 1991 Gulf War.

I will not bring up ancient history in this thread. But a very capable man that my family respects was the late General Ayub Khan. Think what you may of his shortcomings but no man could act smart around him, I wish we had people like him in these times instead of...

Back
Top Bottom