What's new

The Greatest Generals of World

Maybe I'm a bit late to this thread... but my vote goes to Subutai, Genghis Khan's and Ögedei Khan's primary general. Here's the wiki entry. Seriously, as the entry goes:

He also destroyed 2 European armies more than a hundred kilometers apart... within 2 days... maybe I overlooked it, but why wasn't he suggested by anyone?

As for current generals, Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. comes to mind. He was the overall commander of coalition forces in the 1991 Gulf War.

I'll definitely agree on Subutai but not on Schwarzkopf.

I'll definitely agree on Subutai but not on Schwarzkopf.

Yeah, Schwarzkopf is a debatable choice, I mainly chose him because he commanded a "Modern" theatre of war and the aura surrounding him within the US defence community. The 1991 Gulf War changed the face of warfare and I wanted to find someone that operated quite recently.

I would have to go with Ataturk. He was never defeated both in WW1 and the Turkish war of independence. Not to mention he destroyed the British and Anzacs at Gallipoli.

General Saadeddin el Shazli, the Egyptian chief of staff during the Ramadan War (1973-1974). He implemented the most successful crossing operation in history. Time magazine described him as the mastermind behind Egypt's assault on the formidable BarLev line.

44385225.jpg

"It was a victory, the most outstanding feat of Arab armies in modern times." -The Economist

I haven't read the whole thread, but Schwarzkopf's methods were right out of Col. John Boyd's theories of war, and while effective, not especially original. Of the traditional tank commanders, my nod goes to Patton. A man born out of time, he was reigned in continuously by Bradley and Eisenhower, and indirectly by Montgomery. Patton instinctively understood Boyd, and if his notion of war had been pursued in the European theater, rather than Eisenhower's "broad front", I think the war would have ended 6 months before it did.

General Kappor- He said that we can fight Pakistan and China simultaneously.
:rofl::rofl:

Funniest general ever--Hall of shame!

I haven't read the whole thread, but Schwarzkopf's methods were right out of Col. John Boyd's theories of war, and while effective, not especially original. Of the traditional tank commanders, my nod goes to Patton. A man born out of time, he was reigned in continuously by Bradley and Eisenhower, and indirectly by Montgomery. Patton instinctively understood Boyd, and if his notion of war had been pursued in the European theater, rather than Eisenhower's "broad front", I think the war would have ended 6 months before it did.
I am just surprised that John Boyd retired just as a colonel (He deserved 4/5 star general position IMHO).I think guy of his caliber should have been made Chief of Staff of US Army.This guy was genius.Pretty much wrote the whole doctrine of US Army and of course several USAF Doctrines including the popular OODA loop Concept.

I am just surprised that John Boyd retired just as a colonel (He deserved 4/5 star general position IMHO).I think guy of his caliber should have been made Chief of Staff of US Army.This guy was genius.Pretty much wrote the whole doctrine of US Army and of course several USAF Doctrines including the popular OODA loop Concept.

Sadly, his genius was never fully recognized while he was alive, much less active duty. John Boyd was apparently very abrasive and made quite a few enemies while he was active duty.

I remember working with his EM (Energy-Maneuverability) diagrams in the Air Force and being amazed at their simple beauty and usefulness, not even knowing how they came about. The father of the F-15, F-16, and A-10. Author of "Patterns of Conflict." His later stuff is incredibly complex. A really deep thinker. The U.S. Marine Land Warfare School has a bust and a niche to honor him, something the Marines never would normally do for a simple Air Force colonel.

hazrat khalid bin waleed was not only a great general but a soldier as well. he single handedly killed eleven people fighting him. and in battle of yarmuk, his army was 60 thousand strong against 250 thousand strong christian army. After 5 days of battle muslims won. Thats a marvel in it. He is considered by west the best general of middle ages....

hazrat khalid bin waleed was not only a great general but a soldier as well. he single handedly killed eleven people fighting him. and in battle of yarmuk, his army was 60 thousand strong against 250 thousand strong christian army. After 5 days of battle muslims won. Thats a marvel in it. He is considered by west the best general of middle ages....

Last edited by a moderator:
General Sam Manekshaw

Sam Manekshaw was the first Indian military officers to hold the highest rank of Field Marshal in the Indian Army . His distinguished military career spanned four decades and through five wars, including World War II.

0188_001.jpg

Sam_Manekshaw.jpg

During this Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, Manekshaw showed uncommon ability to motivate the forces, coupling it with a mature war strategy. The war ended with Pakistan's unconditional surrender, and the formation of Bangladesh. More than 45,000 Pakistani soldiers and 45,000 civilian personnel were taken as POWs. He masterminded the rout of the Pakistan Army in one of the quickest victories in recent military history This led to the Simla Agreement which opened the door to the creation of the nation of Bangladesh as separate from Pakistan.

He died on 27 June 2008 at the age of 94 Reportedly, his last words were "I'm okay!"

04.jpg

There are many but Ima keep it Desi and pick Ashoka and Chandragupta..

jacobtheindoamerican-albums-stuff-2-picture3261-chandragupta-mauryan.jpg

jacobtheindoamerican-albums-stuff-2-picture3260-chandragupta-mauryan-2.jpg

jacobtheindoamerican-albums-stuff-2-picture3259-ashoka-great-2.jpg

jacobtheindoamerican-albums-stuff-picture3220-maurya-dynasty-265-bce.jpg

jacobtheindoamerican-albums-stuff-2-picture3262-mauryan-empire.jpg

They controlled an empire large as 5,000,000km2 which was very close to the size of Alexanders and the Roman empire, but much wealthier. They held 50 million people under their rule when the whole earth was said to have only 150 million. The empire had control of 33% of the worlds GDP.

Last edited:
No doubt Genghis (Chengiz) Khan.

The most terrifying force the world has ever seen belonged to the mongols and their tataar allies.

Not the greatest but very inspirational. Edward Gibbon had this to write about Uqba bin Nafi--

"The fearless Akbah plunged into the heart of the country, traversed the wilderness in which his successors erected the splendid capitals of Fez and Morocco, and at length penetrated to the verge of the Atlantic and the great desert. . . . The career, though not the zeal, of Akbah was checked by the prospect of a boundless ocean. He spurred his horse into the waves, and raising his eyes to heaven, exclaimed: Great God! if my course were not stopped by this sea, I would still go on, to the unknown kingdoms of the West, preaching the unity of thy holy name, and putting to the sword the rebellious nations who worship another gods than thee."

I am surprised that many mented Hitler, but no one mented Stalin who owned Hitler big time.

Also no one mented Konstantin Rokossovsky, who took major part in Stalingrad, Kursk and Bagration operations. And Gustavus Adolphus - the father of modern warfare.

Back
Top Bottom