What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

Let's wait for confirmation, but if true it's great then that China chose Russia. Russia is definitely the most trustworthy military partner for China.

The Su-35 will probably be the last 4G program, same as the J-11 series, before the next gen comes into play. Considering the volume of only 24 sold/purchased, I suppose if the deal happens it serves several purposes. Most importantly it will forge closer industrial partnership between KnAAPO and SAC on their respective 4G programs. It also helps to boost Russian financial position on military campaigns against terror threats common to both nations. PLAAF might use these platforms in training & simulation e.g. "Blue Team".

Anyway you were right, yes let's wait for confirmation!

The Su-35 will probably be the last 4G program, same as the J-11 series, before the next gen comes into play. Considering the volume of only 24 sold/purchased, I suppose if the deal happens it serves several purposes. Most importantly it will forge closer industrial partnership between KnAAPO and SAC on their respective 4G programs. It also helps to boost Russian financial position on military campaigns against terror threats common to both nations. PLAAF might use these platforms in training & simulation e.g. "Blue Team".

Anyway you were right, yes let's wait for confirmation!

UPDATE 2-Russia, China sign contract worth over $2 bln for Su-35 fighter jets -source| Reuters

TASS: Military & Defense - Russia inks contract with China on Su-35 deliveries

Why only 24?

As the Reuters article says, the details will surface in time as there has been no official confirmation or comment by China.

I have not found any source from China on the matter except those that cite the Russian source.

The number might change and there might be exception/optional clauses, as well.

I am also hoping the number will at least be double that of the stated here.

Russia, China sign contract worth over $2 billion for Su-35 fighter jets

6 hours ago

MOSCOW (Reuters) - China is to buy a batch of 24 Sukhoi-35 fighter jets from Russia in a deal worth more than $2 billion (1.3 billion pounds), an industry source told Reuters on Thursday, in a move that may help the Kremlin's strained finances.

A spokeswoman for Russian state holding Rostec confirmed a deal between the two countries had been signed involving Su-35 fighter jets, but declined to provide details.

The deal makes China the first foreign buyer of the Su-35, one of Russia's most advanced military aircraft, and is one of the largest contracts for military jets to have ever been signed between the two countries.

Russia and China have been in talks for several years over the Su-35s, and in 2012 the two sides signed a preliminary agreement for Beijing to buy some of the jets, the Kommersant newspaper reported.

Arms sales are a rare bright spot in an otherwise gloomy economic picture for Russia, whose economy is suffering from weak oil prices and Western sanctions over the Ukraine conflict.

Moscow has sought to deepen trade and financial ties with Beijing following the chill in relations with the West over Ukraine, but some analysts are sceptical as to whether the drive has yielded much in the way of early results.

It is not clear when China will pay Russia the more than $2 billion fee for the Su-35 jets.

(Reporting by Gleb Stolyarov; Writing by Alexander Winning; Editing by Andrew Osborn)

Russia, China sign contract worth over $2 billion for Su-35 fighter jets - Yahoo Finance

How much each?

apart from Engine Tech, i dont see how Su 35 Fits in the Cramped space between J11+J10 & J20 / J31

How much each?

It says worth over 2 billion USD.

apart from Engine Tech, i dont see how Su 35 Fits in the Cramped space between J11+J10 & J20 / J31

It would of strategic importance from the perspective of deepening China-Russia security partnership. Not just technical.

It says worth over 2 billion USD.

It would of strategic importance from the perspective of deepening China-Russia security partnership. Not just technical.

$2 billion is not each.
Anyways, it says on wiki that each SU-35 is estimated at 65 mill usd. So for 2 billions you can get 30 of these. The logistics probably took a chunk to get down to 25 jets.

Last edited:

In That Case, getting a Borei Class Sub or PAK FA Partnership was Much .. Much...Better and Meaningful. Isnt It ?

In That Case, getting a Borei Class Sub or PAK FA Partnership was Much .. Much...Better and Meaningful. Isnt It ?

The deal is still pretty much a speculation. So, anything said on this would be an extension of that. I am not sure of the strategic implications as well as possibility of any other deal. There is a whole strategic community in each great nation to make such calculations.

I am more on the real side of international politics. Something happens then it is meaningful for me. Otherwise, history holds countless possibilities.

$2 billion is not each.
Anyways, it says on wiki that each SU-35 is estimated at 65 mill usd. So for 2 billions you can get 30 of these. The logistics probably took a chunk to get down to 25 jets.

Of course not each. It is the total alleged price. And still the figures are likely subject to change.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom