What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

RUSSIAN-MARINES-BSF-DAY-1024x684.jpg

@vostok

Is India not doing it

The following countries are vested in Vietnam's Maritime Resources:

1. Japan
  2. Russia
  3. United States
  4. India
  5. Vietnam

Russia doesn't care about international image; Russia will follow any objectives that will benefit Russia. Russia is a continental and military superpower. She is will not be limited for the sake of feelings of any particular nation south of Russia's border.Russia will use whatever is necessary to forward the Russian Agenda Abroad. Russia for Russia, i suppose.

Some countries believe in emotional pacts, Russia does not operate like that. :)

True, but this move is sure to create ripples between these two. Why Russia needs to hunt for oil away from home, when it has plenty?

True, but this move is sure to create ripples between these two. Why Russia needs to hunt for oil away from home, when it has plenty?

Balance of Power. Russia cooperates with China out of necessity to bulwark against the effects of the sanctions. However, this does not mean that the Russian Military Establishment as well as the Interest Groups in the Rossiyskaya Federatsiya [Federation of Russian Republics] considers and views the People's Republic of China as its 'Total Ally', no, if you study geopolitics as long as I have and have considered the social and military defense paradigms, you will see it is a cooperation out of convenience. Russia policy is fixated on one singular point and that is : 1) Russian Federation Interest. If it benefits Russia to develop closer relations with Vietnam (an ASEAN state) then Russia will pursue such a policy. Russian Foreign Policy is deeply consistent and heavily focused on Russian Interest, first and foremost. Russia will not change foreign policy for the sake of China.

We are, afterall, talking about the legacy of the Great Soviet Union. Russia fears no one in the world; as a powerful nuclear entity with over 10,000 strategic nuclear forces , there is no power in this earth that 'influences' Russia militarily. China will never be a force to inhibit Russia, ever.

If it is in the disputed area, China will ruthless destroy these contracts in operation.
They, japan and russia will drill in our Eez, but may violate your fcking claim. Check the news in the coming days, the positions of russia oil/gas rigs will be made public. If not already. Pls feel free to send a cruise missile or two to destroy them. Ahem...Just in case you don't know, the russians have little humour if you kill their citizens. Good luck.

They, japan and russia will drill in our Eez, but may violate your fcking claim. Check the news in the coming days, the positions of russia oil/gas rigs will be made public. If not already. Pls feel free to send a cruise missile or two to destroy them. Ahem...Just in case you don't know, the russians have little humour if you kill their citizens. Good luck.

I have a feeling that Vietnam will be used as a mechanism for both Russia and Japan to build constructionist policies toward each other. Oh happy day! 8-)

Balance of Power. Russia cooperates with China out of necessity to bulwark against the effects of the sanctions. However, this does not mean that the Russian Military Establishment as well as the Interest Groups in the Rossiyskaya Federatsiya [Federation of Russian Republics] considers and views the People's Republic of China as its 'Total Ally', no, if you study geopolitics as long as I have and have considered the social and military defense paradigms, you will see it is a cooperation out of convenience. Russia policy is fixated on one singular point and that is : 1) Russian Federation Interest. If it benefits Russia to develop closer relations with Vietnam (an ASEAN state) then Russia will pursue such a policy. Russian Foreign Policy is deeply consistent and heavily focused on Russian Interest, first and foremost. Russia will not change foreign policy for the sake of China.

We are, afterall, talking about the legacy of the Great Soviet Union. Russia fears no one in the world; as a powerful nuclear entity with over 10,000 strategic nuclear forces , there is no power in this earth that 'influences' Russia militarily. China will never be a force to inhibit Russia, ever.

Partly true and partly misleading. Let me elaborate.

It is true Russia is vary of China, any country not willing to concede to Chinese supremacy would be, if you take past friction between China and Russia this doubly true.

But does the above preclude long term military and economic alignment of Sino-Russian relationship - No. The convergence is based on natural and complementary goals, strengths and weaknesses. China has very cleverly exploited Russian insecurities and troubles in relation to NATO. For all practical purposes China has co-opted Russia to it's cause of presenting a viable alternative to current power structure. Not saying this is good or bad. This is just how the game is played.

Russia is completely aware of this fact but has no option other than to go along with China, as there is no other anti-west/neutral country which can offer the combination which China does - Hard Cash, Human Resources and an ally at UNSC.

Hence you would see Russia adopting Chinese policies and goals even when they are not in Russia's best interest atleast for next few years. If oil prices rise substantially and NATO makes peace with Russia and Sanctions are withdrawn we might see a change in Russian tactics.

Long term, Russia will not forget their history with NATO and would likely seek an alliance on the old lines. Putin's thirst for re-capturing the glory of USSR will let Russia - US (NATO)alliance form. This does not mean Russia will trust China Blindly and forgo its interests in long term

Last edited:
I said it before, and I'll say it again --- Japan and Vietnam are partners in the truest sense.
all my best wishes to japan. Instead of flowers or other things, consider this as a small gift of the communist party chief of vietnam, he is going to pay a short visit your country :-)

Partly true and partly misleading. Let me elaborate.

It is true Russia is vary of China, any country not willing to concede to Chinese supremacy would be, if you take past friction between China and Russia this doubly true.

But does the above preclude long term military and economic alignment of Sino-Russian relationship - No. The convergence is based on natural and complementary goals, strengths and weaknesses. China has very cleverly exploited Russian insecurities and troubles in relation to NATO. For all practical purposes China has co-opted Russia to it's cause of presenting a viable alternative to current power structure. Not saying this is good or bad. This is just how the game is played.

Russia is completely aware of this fact but has no option other than to go along with China, as there is no other anti-west/neutral country which can offer the combination which China does - Hard Cash, Human Resources and an ally at UNSC.

Astute points, and I agree with your analysis of how China has co-opted Russia to China's cause of presenting a viable alternative to current power structure. But therein lies the main issue -- Russia 'has no other option', meaning it is a means to an end, a current (and i say this because it does not mean permanence) policy initiative. Will Russia leave the China-centered praxis when opportunities arise for Russia? I can bet my golden egg (if i were Mother Goose) on it!

Interesting times we live in, i doth say.

Vietnam - longtime partner of Russia. It is not surprising that Russian companies win tenders in Vietnam.

Thank You, my respectable Russian Friend.

Astute points, and I agree with your analysis of how China has co-opted Russia to China's cause of presenting a viable alternative to current power structure. But therein lies the main issue -- Russia 'has no other option', meaning it is a means to an end, a current (and i say this because it does not mean permanence) policy initiative. Will Russia leave the China-centered praxis when opportunities arise for Russia? I can bet my golden egg (if i were Mother Goose) on it!

Interesting times we live in, i doth say.

Thank You, my respectable Russian Friend.

Yes, please re- read my complete post post edit which is mostly what you have said with some divergence about long term strategy.

Regards

Vietnam - longtime partner of Russia. It is not surprising that Russian companies win tenders in Vietnam.

what would be china's reaction if Russians are alloted drilling wells in scs

Hence you would see Russia adopting Chinese policies and goals even when they are not in Russia's best interest atleast for next few years. If oil prices rise substantially and NATO makes peace with Russia and Sanctions are withdrawn we might see a change in Russian tactics.

Long term, Russia will not forget their history with NATO and would likely seek an alliance on the old lines. Putin's thirst for re-capturing the glory of USSR will let Russia - US (NATO)alliance

1. The sanctions will be removed in 2-3 years time.
2. Russia's independent foreign policy is actually a necessity to balance the NATO-led world order
3. Let us also note that Russia's foreign policy is adaptable, and mature.

what would be china's reaction if Russians are alloted drilling wells in scs

Nothing. What can China do? lol.

We're talking about Russia. lol.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom