What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

OK. Your analogy apply for all country in Asia too.
Yes but..only the more influential countries are the ones really matter in the US eyes.Usually choosing between the top two regional power,depend on the strategy,which is containing,offshore balancing,or projecting influence

with Japan being a Sea Power same as US,They are hardly “natural allies”.If let loose,an expanding Japan will eventually find a lot more conflict with US than their common interests,As the progress of WW2 clearly exhibited.

An influential Continental Power is a more fitted ally to a Sea Power,Japan,which lacks continental influence,is only good for offshore balancing,much like the UK

That is why in the time of crisis, people usually find China and US on the same side,they are perfect for each other,at least in theory

Very true. China has also played similar games against the Philippines (banana) and Japan (rare earth). And because of this VN and other countries don't want to be dependent on China. I remembered a Burmese member said his biggest concern about China is not the rebels but being too economically dependent on China.

There is some truth in the second part. With the first part, VN will happily accept cheap loans from anyone. The question is, will China be able to gain any political favours or concession back? Judging by history, I'm not sure if China can.

My friend, why are you "tired" of these articles? I can only remember 2 or 3 threads with articles about US supporting X country to counter China, and my memory could even be wrong. In fact, on the first page of this section, I don't see any other thread created with such articles at all.

And no one here is talking about dignity and and who's looking down on whom. Please don't project your own thoughts onto others. This thread is about the US-VN relationship, and I've already given some hints that even if there are no SCS disputes or even if China doesn't exist, the US will still want a closer relationship with VN.

Vietnam is a bada$$. US learnt a lot from the Vietnam war. American weapons and fighting tactics were mostly derived/experienced from the Vietnam war. Precision missiles., smart bombs, etc were built to reduce civilian casualties caused during the Vietnam war.

To other people who don't know Vietnam and US relation.
Don't hate Vietnamese people, they fought hard and strong to defend its land. Over 2 million Vietnamese sacrifices their lives for unification of North and South. Something North and South Korea unable to achieve.

Nobody knows the Vietnam war better than the Viet and American.

Last edited:
Vietnam won't be won over completely by any party,be that US,Russia,China or Japan
The leadership in Hanoi played it quite smart, unlike the morons in Kiev

I take this as a compliment. And that is how the game should play always.

Nobody cares about Vietnam. The reason the West even bother to write articles about Vietnam is because of your involvement in dispute with China.

>__< In term of defense maybe, but in term of politics and economy. Vietnam certainly is more of a presence than say 20 years ago.

Of course the Vietnamese are smart. After all they are an offshoot of Chinese civilization/culture. To me, I see Vietnamese and Chinese belonging to the same race so every time when I see both sides attacking each other about superiority and what not on these forums, it makes me cringe...

Well it goes back a long long time. And is a very touchy subject to people including me. It is the vietnamese politics and identity for so so long that "we are not chinese." With such mantra, Vietnam had survived for the the last 1000 years. Even the whole thing about Vietnam being an East Asian in term of culture, irk some people off (some vietnamese, some non viet). It is the way it is.

I am just glad what Ho Chi Minh want is starting to realize. He wants Vietnam can proudly stood on its feet among the countries of the world (sigh, I can't find the original quote). It is still a long way away. But the progress of recent years is just amazing. We have to learn to those that are ahead of us whether it is Thailand, or Singapore, or Japan, or South Korea, or even China. Learn from their mistakes, their failures, and learn from what they do correctly.

I take this as a compliment. And that is how the game should play always.

>__< In term of defense maybe, but in term of politics and economy. Vietnam certainly is more of a presence than say 20 years ago.

Well it goes back a long long time. And is a very touchy subject to people including me. It is the vietnamese politics and identity for so so long that "we are not chinese." With such mantra, Vietnam had survived for the the last 1000 years. Even the whole thing about Vietnam being an East Asian in term of culture, irk some people off (some vietnamese, some non viet). It is the way it is.

I am just glad what Ho Chi Minh want is starting to realize. He wants Vietnam can proudly stood on its feet among the countries of the world (sigh, I can't find the original quote). It is still a long way away. But the progress of recent years is just amazing. We have to learn to those that are ahead of us whether it is Thailand, or Singapore, or Japan, or South Korea, or even China. Learn from their mistakes, their failures, and learn from what they do correctly.

Hate and jealousy could only bring Vietnam to a stronger feet. The Vietnamese mindsets are already engraved in its soul. Natural survival instinct kicks in when there is a present of danger.

It depends how much US want to spend on China..
If US spend too much against China, EU or Russia will replace US`s position..
US target is to maintain the global leader, not to fight against single country.
I would say US will be clever enough to give up something and avoid great conflict between two super power.

what do you think about China pushing US to give up some part like SEA, Japan, ? What China can do when S Korea, Japan and Philippine is ally of USA now officially, then they do yearly military exersives in front of your nose.

I reminder you that, in jungle or forest it doésn't existed two tiger to be boss. such tigers would like to be boss, have to fight untill die or one of two is ran away.

Pacific ocean is big enough, it said by Madam Clinton, it mean China can go to middle òf pacific ocean where no one claim his own sea territory there.

You said that China and US are indeed natural allies, geopolitically speaking.

OK. Your analogy apply for all country in Asia too.

It depends how much US want to spend on China..
If US spend too much against China, EU or Russia will replace US`s position..
US target is to maintain the global leader, not to fight against single country.
I would say US will be clever enough to give up something and avoid great conflict between two super power.

US no need to spend money to counter China in this moment, just strengthen relation with his ally in Asia and other countries in ASEAN and India. EU and Russia never could take a position of US in the world.

US could attack any country if its danger for position of US in the world. Looks at Irak, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan.

You mean Philippine? Can they counter China??
If US put too much resource to counter China and become weak, EU is most likely to replace US.
Russia also have chance.
Never forget China is a super power that these small countries cannot match.
PLA Force in Hainan island can eliminate all Vietnam or Philippine navy and air force.
If US want to defeat China, it need to put all its power, wasting so much money, and finally replaced by EU...

US no need to spend money to counter China in this moment, just strengthen relation with his ally in Asia and other countries in ASEAN and India. EU and Russia never could take a position of US in the world.

US could attack any country if its danger for position of US in the world. Looks at Irak, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan.

You mean Philippine? Can they counter China??
If US put too much resource to counter China and become weak, EU is most likely to replace US.
Russia also have chance.
Never forget China is a super power that these small countries cannot match.
PLA Force in Hainan island can eliminate all Vietnam or Philippine navy and air force.
If US want to defeat China, it need to put all its power, wasting so much money, and finally replaced by EU...

China have to face with US when China invade in to Philippine, bro.

Then tell me how are you going to win a war against Vietnam and its allies without losing the lives of many of Chinese soldiers? Unless they are scrap.

Lol.. This words are for vietnam and not for China. As if allies will fight for vietnam? Did you take some high end cocaine this morning?

And as if vietnam is invincible without losing a soldier and many PLA will killed fighting vietnam?

Let me ask you one simple question? How many AWACS u have now?

More or less show the huge different between China and vietn military...

I think nationalism without strength is useless is really applicable on you.

So you agree that China can and will turn against VN whenever China is not happy with VN.
When and if you behave inappropriately and threaten our interest, we will do what is right to safeguard security and regional peace.

What political concession? VN did not concede any territory to China after the skirmish. On the contrary, VN openly supports the Philippines tribunal case and continue to diplomatically reject China's claim even after the rig was removed. I'm afraid you don't know what a political concession is. More importantly, China removed the rig earlier than it first declared. Only an Ah Q mentality could see this as a Chinese victory and a political concession from VN.
This is the first time I heard a person believe we lost the oil rig faceoff. LOL Almost every analysts wrote article at the time claiming we left on our term. Plain simple, we save your face from further humiliation. Your concession is not to join Philippine tribunal case. You think paying lip service to the Filipino will change outcome? Substance is what matter, my friend. No you didn't openly supports the Philippines. You wrote a letter to the UN tribunal telling that them to protect your interest in that case.

Then what are you doing here in this thread? Get out then LOL. why bother "waking" somebody up if you don't care about that person? It seems like you are the member that cared about VN the most since you are part of those very few Chinese members that always appear in a Viet thread.
Do you think I would be interest in this thread title doesn't contain China in it?

You care too much about the Vietnamese. No one here (except for Lure) has mentioned about the US counterbalancing China. The article was written by a non-Vietnamese about the US-VN relationship so what are you whining about? You are thinking too much about Vietnam LOL.

I suggest you stay out of this thread otherwise I might think you are having an unhealthy obsession with Vietnam.
I'm putting you little Vietnamese in your own space and place. Like I said, nobody cares about Vietnam if it doesn't contain China in it. Post some Vietnamese news without China and see how many people interesting in commenting. LOL

Back
Top Bottom