What's new

The fake verse "Pull out your swords and slay anyone that says Pashtun and Afghan are not one!....

Mian Babban

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The following verse attributed to Khushal Khan Khattak is very popular on web ;

"Pull out your swords and slay anyone that says Pashtun and Afghan are not one! Arabs know this and so do Romans: Afghans are Pashtuns, Pashtuns are Afghans!"

Sources on web say that it is a verse from poem "Afghan passion" by Khushal Khan Khattak. The reference they give is "Selections from the Poetry of Khushhal Khan Khattak" by Biddulph published in 1890. I checked every page of Biddulph's English translation of Khushal poetry (original Pashto text is also posted there) but neither i found any poem by name of "Afghan passion" nor i came across the above mentioned verse. Interestingly no Pashto version of the above mentioned verse has ever surfaced on web. Its obvious that words have been put into mouth of Khushal Khattak by someone from modern times who came across the modern argument that Pashtun of Pakistan is not an Afghan. I have consulted some people who are very knowledgeable in poetry of Khushal Khattak, they are saying no such verse or poem exists in published kuliyat or diwan of Khushal Khattak.

In 20th century, the state/monarchy of Afghanistan was responsible for causing this confusion by changing the definition of the Afghan identity. They imposed Afghan identity on non-Pashtun inhabitants of present-day Afghanistan who are not o.k with it to this day. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-id-cards-fuels-ethnic-tension-idUSKBN1FS1Y0 .........Afghanistani nationalists (as well as Pashtun nationalists from Pakistan tied with them) began to say that every Pashtun is Afghan but not very Afghan is Pashtun......

Last edited:
Asalamu Alaikum

Let those barbarians who use the term, keep the term. It keeps the jahils exposed, so we know who they are.

Last edited:
Asalamu Alaikum

Let those tribal barbarians keep the term. It keeps the jahils exposed, so we know who they are.
Well i am a "tribal barbarian" myself, i have grown up in a tribal society. It seems you dont know about me, i am not a Pakistani nationalist. I am just being factual here, i am not on "your side".

"Pull out your swords and slay anyone that says Pashtun and Afghan are not one! Arabs know this and so do Romans: Afghans are Pashtuns, Pashtuns are Afghans!"

Sources on web say that it is a verse from poem "Afghan passion" by Khushal Khan Khattak. The reference they give is "Selections from the Poetry of Khushhal Khan Khattak" by Biddulph published in 1890. I checked every page of Biddulph's English translation of Khushal poetry (original Pashto text is also posted there) but neither i found any poem by name of "Afghan passion" nor i came across the above mentioned verse. Interestingly no Pashto version of the above mentioned verse has ever surfaced on web. Its obvious that words have been put into mouth of Khushal Khattak by someone from modern times who came across the modern argument that Pashtun of Pakistan is not an Afghan.

In 20th century, the state/monarchy of Afghanistan was responsible for causing this confusion by changing the definition of the Afghan identity. They imposed Afghan identity on non-Pashtun inhabitants of present-day Afghanistan who are not o.k with it to this day. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-id-cards-fuels-ethnic-tension-idUSKBN1FS1Y0 .........Afghanistani nationalists (as well as Pashtun nationalists from Pakistan tied with them) begin to say that every Pashtun is Afghan but not very Afghan is Pashtun......

Well Consult our member @Kaptaan ..As he is the one with good knowledge about this region..he may be able to give you some satisfactory explanation..

Well i am a "tribal barbarian" myself, i have grown up in a tribal society. It seems you dont know about me, i am not a Pakistani nationalist. I am just being factual here, i am not on "your side".

I meant the types that discriminate based on tribal affiliation, and kill people over their silly little tribal laws/customs.

I have consulted some knowledgeable people in Pashto poetry, they are saying no such verse or poem exists in published kuliyat or diwan of Khushal Khattak.

I meant the types that discriminate based on tribal affiliation, and kill people over their silly little tribal laws/customs.
Keep it academic

Sources on web say that it is a verse from poem "Afghan passion" by Khushal Khan Khattak. The reference they give is "Selections from the Poetry of Khushhal Khan Khattak" by Biddulph published in 1890. I checked every page of Biddulph's English translation of Khushal poetry (original Pashto text is also posted there) but neither i found any poem by name of "Afghan passion" nor i came across the above mentioned verse. Interestingly no Pashto version of the above mentioned verse has ever surfaced on web. Its obvious that words have been put into mouth of Khushal Khattak by someone from modern times who came across the modern argument that Pashtun of Pakistan is not an Afghan.

In 20th century, the state/monarchy of Afghanistan was responsible for causing this confusion by changing the definition of the Afghan identity. They imposed Afghan identity on non-Pashtun inhabitants of present-day Afghanistan who are not o.k with it to this day. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-id-cards-fuels-ethnic-tension-idUSKBN1FS1Y0 .........Afghanistani nationalists (as well as Pashtun nationalists from Pakistan tied with them) began to say that every Pashtun is Afghan but not very Afghan is Pashtun......
I’m a Khattak myself, and my dad is an avid reader of Khushal Khan Khattak. Just asked him about this- said he has never even heard it lol.

I have consulted some knowledgeable people in Pashto poetry, they are saying no such verse or poem exists in published kuliyat or diwan of Khushal Khattak.

Keep it academic
A friend of mine is his direct descendant ... lives nears Akora Khattak... or atleast claims to be.. his grandfather also built a bouri (water tank/ponds)...

People believe that poem...

Asalamu Alaikum

Let those tribal barbarians keep the term. It keeps the jahils exposed, so we know who they are.
Choose better words. There are a lot of ‘tribal barbarians’ who have done more for Pakistani society than you.

A friend of mine is his direct descendant ... lives nears Akora Khattak... or atleast claims to be.. his grandfather also built a bouri (water tank/ponds)...

People believe that poem...
Really? I’m from Karak, and never heard about this quote. But then again, I myself never read much Khushal Khan anyway.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this. Afghanistan undoubtedly needs to do some soul searching to move out of their current quagmire. The imposition of Pashtun nationalism as a precursor to being a proud citizen of Afghanistan is surely erking for non-Pashtuns in the country. The literal equivalent in Pakistan would be Pashtuns or Sindhi's having to declare pride in being Punjabi before they can declare themselves a proud Pakistani. Sounds like madness but partially is a consequence of strong Pashtun political dominition in Afghanistan throughout the centuries. However times have changed and successive foreign occupiers have mentally emancipated communities like the Tajiks and Hazaras, who no longer are ready to play second fiddle to the Pashtuns. The sooner Afghanistan adapts its identity, the faster peace will return to the country. Or they can blame all of their problems on Pakistan. We all know which of these options is more likely.

Really? I’m from Karak, and never heard about this quote. But then again, I myself never read much Khushal Khan anyway.
Bruv, ive only heard it from Khattaks.. or the internet..

As for Karak.. thats Khattak stronghold..

Back
Top Bottom