What's new

The Economist: Bangladesh’s GDP per capita now higher than Pakistan’s

Dude, you know that 70% of development spending between 1947-1971 was spent on less populous W Pakistan?
Google a neutral source if you like.

that is popular mujib and awami narrative just like "30 million dead". Reality was much different. Since you made claim of 70% development spending in West Pakistan, you have obligation to post the authentic source link; not just some awami mumbo jumbo.

that is popular mujib and awami narrative just like "30 million dead". Reality was much different. Since you made claim of 70% development spending in West Pakistan, you have obligation to post the authentic source link; not just some awami mumbo jumbo.
main-qimg-88b73cad5d6b957d07d78e34b3c508eb

main-qimg-35099c98d7e922a9187c022395d4dd78

The bigger question I have is, If Bangladesh's nominal GDP per capita is higher than Pakistan's, would that make you happy or dissatisfied?

We been over this, your choices, your consequences. Own up to it....or cry about it. Others judge you on your decision.

"Development spending" means next to nothing anyway when there was negligible extraction from economy to begin with as a % by the govt (these amounts were massively depressed in developing world in the cold war to begin with)....not to mention the common issues on the actual realised allocation materialising in both wings and region in general (for a number of reasons, namely corruption and over-bureaucracy) whatever the "stated amounts" were.

Institutionally Pakistan did a lot for its Eastern wing just like the western wing, whether you like it or not. Its funny and ironic given thats what has deteoriated dramatically in BD now....but hey you can cry otherwise and keep the self-contradictions coming if it makes you feel better.

@DESERT FIGHTER

So you are not denying the reality then and blaming BD for Pakistan's looting? Blame the victim, rather than perpetrator.
BD had to start pretty much from zero in 1971 as the little that was built in the preceding 24 years was destroyed in the war.
A country that started from virtually zero in 1971 now needs to pay the most uneducated farm labourer over 7 dollars a day to employ them.
It's economy is the fastest growing in S Asia and
will get even faster as the infrastructure gap is plugged with the current mega-projects in power, bridges, ports, etc
Must suck to be an Indian that is still 3rd world after 7 decades of independence. What an incompetent entity you are a citizen of.
PS - Any link to your claim that a farm labourer in Assam gets paid 14-15 US dollars a day?

main-qimg-88b73cad5d6b957d07d78e34b3c508eb

main-qimg-35099c98d7e922a9187c022395d4dd78

The bigger question I have is, If Bangladesh's nominal GDP per capita is higher than Pakistan's, would that make you happy or dissatisfied?

Total population was 93 million in 1960. Assuming GDP to be per capita income times population (assuming investment is low), thats GDP of around 318 times 93 million = 30 billion rupees.

A year spending in this period was about 2000/5 crore rupee = 400 crore = 4 billion rupees.

Implying 4/30 = about 13% extraction from economy to spend (not really true given the foreign aid, but lets go with it as a max frontier amount).

But wait what about the inflation of PKR from 1960 to 1975 (which I am assuming is the rupee reference year being used) given the denominator being used is 1960 prices? Total inflation in the time period seems to add up to 3 times:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FP.CPI.TOTL.ZG?locations=PK

Thus the actual extraction rate we are talking about is more like 4 - 5% at most (foreign aid % + investment denominator component reduces it even more). Basically in the vicinity of 95% of the money is left alone inside West/East Pakistan to begin with.....and your issue is focusing on the 5% being skewed to one side. Its negligible (given the actual materialisation on both wings takes further chunks out of it given poor state of bureaucracy and transparency and accountability etc)....and more than compensated by the institutional development Pakistan was attempting at the time (which really has no direct money value) to improve the delivery mechanisms first before committing larger extraction (this is economics 101 that the top economic minds on all sides of the cold war argument fundamentally knew).

Its no surprise that Pakistan is charging ahead in improving on the corruption perception index today, and you are left way behind stagnating over last 5 years or more.

@Chak Bamu @farhan_9909 @django

Total population was 93 million in 1960. Assuming GDP to be per capita income times population (assuming investment is low), thats GDP of around 318 times 93 million = 30 billion rupees.

A year spending in this period was about 2000/5 crore rupee = 400 crore = 4 billion rupees.

Implying 4/30 = about 13% extraction from economy to spend (not really true given the foreign aid, but lets go with it as a max frontier amount).

But wait what about the inflation of PKR from 1960 to 1975 (which I am assuming is the rupee reference year being used) given the denominator being used is 1960 prices? Total inflation in the time period seems to add up to 3 times:

Thus the actual extraction rate we are talking about is more like 4 - 5% at most (foreign aid % + investment denominator component reduces it even more). Basically in the vicinity of 95% of the money is left alone inside West/East Pakistan to begin with.....and your issue is focusing on the 5% being skewed to one side. Its negligible (given the actual materialisation on both wings takes further chunks out of it given poor state of bureaucracy and transparency and accountability etc)....and more than compensated by the institutional development Pakistan was attempting at the time (which really has no direct money value) to improve the delivery mechanisms first before committing larger extraction (this is economics 101 that the top economic minds on all sides of the cold war argument fundamentally knew).

Its no surprise that Pakistan is charging ahead in improving on the corruption perception index today, and you are left way behind stagnating over last 5 years or more.

What a load of crap dude.

You are done for with your bullshit on this forum. Have some dignity and at least keep quiet.

Why are you even posting? You post and tag others to support your stupid posts. Pathetic.

I would hope you have better things to do you swarthy Tamilian.

So you are not denying the reality then and blaming BD for Pakistan's looting? Blame the victim, rather than perpetrator.
BD had to start pretty much from zero in 1971 as the little that was built in the preceding 24 years was destroyed in the war.
A country that started from virtually zero in 1971 now needs to pay the most uneducated farm labourer over 7 dollars a day to employ them.
It's economy is the fastest growing in S Asia and
will get even faster as the infrastructure gap is plugged with the current mega-projects in power, bridges, ports, etc
Must suck to be an Indian that is still 3rd world after 7 decades of independence. What an incompetent entity you are a citizen of.
PS - Any link to your claim that a farm labourer in Assam gets paid 14-15 US dollars a day?

Start from zero? According to who? You? Other biased and compromised BDees spouting 3 million numbers and 1 million raped numbers and whatever else?

Where did I claim an Assamese farm labourer earns 14 - 15 dollars a day? ( I said an average worker in India outputs/earns/consumes twice that of one in BD - and I refer you to the ILO for the umpteenth time. ILO uses lot of BBS claimed data itself in case you dont know given 0 real alternatives, so who knows how much less BD workers really earn)

How exactly is the BBS claim that farm labour in BD earns X dollars a day credible?

I said an average worker in India outputs/earns/consumes twice that of one in BD - and I refer you to the ILO for the umpteenth time. ILO uses lot of BBS claimed data itself in case you dont know given 0 real alternatives, so who knows how much less BD workers really earn)
I do not know how your statistics can be right when an average Indian buys a 2 Rupee cup of tea at a local tea shop and divides it into two. One for his friend and the other for himself.

I do not know how your statistics can be right when an average Indian buys a 2 Rupee cup of tea at a local tea shop and divides it into two. One for his friend and the other for himself.

Yah go cry to the ILO about it...they will probably tell you no one called for a cab or cheap takeaway.

Its all you can really do now given the utter humiliation given to you last time in front of everyone when you tried to be serious:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/gdp-...september-quarter.531069/page-4#post-10056012

A picture is worth a thousand words indeed:

OWlMqBd.jpg

The ILO chart does not say an Indian earns 15 dollar a day. In BD the productivity/efficiency is increasing year after that causes the GDP also to rise. So, what is your point in sending this pile of ILO data? It is something different that has no connection with the reality in Indian labor compensation. Your chart only shows how pitiful is Indian labor productivity comparing to other countries.

For us, we remain a poor country, do not compare ourselves with the developed countries, and like our big neighbor do not send rockets to the Mars when people live in slums and the govt borrows money from the western govts to keep the Rupee stable. Now, you see in the Chart how miserable India is!!!

I don't get this post :(

8382597241_9b57d7e406_o.jpg

We in Bangladesh can only dream of such lofty standards....

Average prices for tea/coffee in Dhaka are given here (no two rupees tea here),
3f8c575c-fab6-c9ff-8b69-08d406e14aee_large.jpg

I get my caffeine fix at North End Coffee Roasters when in Dhaka (they roast their own beans - some local from Chittagong),
cafe-from-rick-2014.jpg

I firmly believe GDP can be accurately gauged from the price of coffee/tea and the cost of a dozen eggs....

8382597241_9b57d7e406_o.jpg

We in Bangladesh can only dream of such lofty standards....

Average prices for tea/coffee in Dhaka are given here (no two rupees tea here),
3f8c575c-fab6-c9ff-8b69-08d406e14aee_large.jpg

I get my caffeine fix at North End Coffee Roasters when in Dhaka (they roast their own beans - some local from Chittagong),
cafe-from-rick-2014.jpg

I firmly believe GDP can be accurately gauged from the price of coffee/tea and the cost of a dozen eggs....
ruFK? you want us to believe that all of BD goes to "North End Coffee Roasters" for their "caffeine fix". How many of these joints are even available in BD outside Dhaka/Chittagong ?

Back
Top Bottom