What's new

The Economist: Bangladesh’s GDP per capita now higher than Pakistan’s

Yes, Dam has other benefit as well as problem such as slitting the river upstream.But for us, it is a question of affordability.We can't vacate several thousands of Sq. km land to just get electricity or irrigation water.Neither we can displace several million people from their home nor we can loose huge tract of farmland.So ,it is out of question.
Most of our rivers are at sea level and does not posses much of the energy like what you get in the mountainous rivers. If you know the basic physics you should be aware that the energy store is directly proportional to the height of the water from sea level.

Most of our rivers are at sea level and does not posses much of the energy like what you get in the mountainous rivers. If you know the basic physics you should be aware that the energy store is directly proportional to the height of the water from sea level.
Your statement is obviously correct. BD cannot expect to produce hydro-electricity, because it has no highly located mountainous rivers except Karnafuli and Sangu.

Dam isnt always necessary for hydroelectricity generation. Make large-small power house along river, canal and sea shore stream zonal-locality basis. Wanted to such project for local mosque but garbage and acidic water was problem.

Dam isnt always necessary for hydroelectricity generation. Make large-small power house along river, canal and sea shore stream zonal-locality basis. Wanted to such project for local mosque but garbage and acidic water was problem.
Yes, you are right. But, the run-of-the river electricity projects are more feasible with small mountain streams with high downstream velocity, and the water should run almost throughout the year. China has many such localized devices, but may not be suitable for a flat country like BD. It may work in Nepal, Bhutan and MM, though.

We are talking here about commercial production and not something that can move only a rice or lentil mill. Even that may not be possible. Can you cite one possible run-of-the water in BD that can produce a commercial-scale 100 MW of power in the planes of BD? I recall, our Hasina once asked people to produce power from Haor and Baor. I wonder, how it is possible? She thought since the name is hydro-electricty and Haors have water, therefore, power can be generated there, although there is no Head there. Water is still.

Yes, you are right. But, the run-of-the river electricity projects are more feasible with small mountain streams with high downstream velocity, and the water should run almost throughout the year. China has many such localized devices, but may not be suitable for a flat country like BD. It may work in Nepal, Bhutan and MM, though.

We are talking here about commercial production and not something that can move only a rice or lentil mill. Even that may not be possible. Can you cite one possible run-of-the water in BD that can produce a commercial-scale 100 MW of power in the planes of BD? I recall, our Hasina once asked people to produce power from Haor and Baor. I wonder, how it is possible? She thought since the name is hydro-electricty and Haors have water, therefore, power can be generated there, although there is no Head there. Water is still.

Feasibility study can be done on Sylhet's Kushiara-Surma-Meghna water channel and Brahmaputra river if its possible to generate electricity there in commercial basis. My proposal was localised electricity in river-canal and commercial projects on sea shore.

Guys, energy generated from rivers in BD will be less than 1GW. There is no point carrying on with this discussion as it can only generate a few percent of BD's total energy demand and will be totally uneconomic.

BD's best bet for clean energy is nuclear power which is totally clean, as long as proper technology and safety precautions are being taken. Government of BD which has received advice from experts has concluded the same and I read a report that talked about a total of 4 Roopur plants by 2041.

BD's fuel fix will be a combination of somewhat clean super-critical coal, relatively clean gas fired plants and super clean 3+ gen clean nuclear. Credit needs to go to AL for striking a balance between cleanliness and economics.

Guys, energy generated from rivers in BD will be less than 1GW. There is no point carrying on with this discussion as it can only generate a few percent of BD's total energy demand and will be totally uneconomic.

BD's best bet for clean energy is nuclear power which is totally clean, as long as proper technology and safety precautions are being taken. Government of BD which has received advice from experts has concluded the same and I read a report that talked about a total of 4 Roopur plants by 2041.

BD's fuel fix will be a combination of somewhat clean super-critical coal, relatively clean gas fired plants and super clean 3+ gen clean nuclear. Credit needs to go to AL for striking a balance between cleanliness and economics.

So, it basically means, Pakistan's decision to build Nuclear power plant(in modern day BD) in 60's was all along the right decison. Hmm... Interesting :-)

Bangladesh is in trouble
Economy per capita growing twice as fast as PK, have about double forex reserve, don't have so much debt like Pakistan. Bangladesh is doing fine, it's Pakistan you should worry about.

Economy per capita growing twice as fast as PK, have about double forex reserve, don't have so much debt like Pakistan. Bangladesh is doing fine, it's Pakistan you should worry about.

It is not wise to compare everything with Pakistan. Living standard in Pakistan is much higher there than in BD. All those data speaks something, but also do not speak many other things. Better we talk about our own country.

Last edited:
You said south Asia, that's why I am comparing India Pakistan and B'desh...In car sales B'desh is in no competition with Pakistan, India is slightly ahead with sales in percentile w.r.t Pakistan, India population is 6.5 times that of Pakistan...and car sales is about 10 times, yes India is ahead here.

What are the motorcycles sales in India(not total production) if looking into the per capita usage. In Pakistan it was 2.4 million(not the imported ones), in India to the best of my knowledge it was around 15-16 million local sales...that is about 7 times more than Pakistan...fair enough.
Do check the prices of the cars
Price of 2015 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 in Pakistan:
PKR 22.24 lakhs
USD 20139.87
Price of 2015 Toyota Corolla Altis in Bangladesh:
BDT 39.5 lakhs
USD 47502.28
So car consumption theory debunked.
Place it in the garbage next time.

For all these awami chetona cheer leading pom poms - what are the goals of Bangladesh independence?? Just reach above Pakistan economically and and do 24/7 chest thumping???? Shouldn't Bangladesh as a nation (minus awami cheerleaders) should concentrate on much higher achievements than just chest thumping????

Last edited:
Its a big slavery (darn money grabbing westpak thieves!) when you do it, its a big glorious revolution when BAL does it.

These Bongs amuse me.

Dude, you know that 70% of development spending between 1947-1971 was spent on less populous W Pakistan?
Google a neutral source if you like.

Dude, you know that 70% of development spending between 1947-1971 was spent on less populous W Pakistan?
Google a neutral source if you like.

We been over this, your choices, your consequences. Own up to it....or cry about it. Others judge you on your decision.

"Development spending" means next to nothing anyway when there was negligible extraction from economy to begin with as a % by the govt (these amounts were massively depressed in developing world in the cold war to begin with)....not to mention the common issues on the actual realised allocation materialising in both wings and region in general (for a number of reasons, namely corruption and over-bureaucracy) whatever the "stated amounts" were.

Institutionally Pakistan did a lot for its Eastern wing just like the western wing, whether you like it or not. Its funny and ironic given thats what has deteoriated dramatically in BD now....but hey you can cry otherwise and keep the self-contradictions coming if it makes you feel better.

@DESERT FIGHTER

Back
Top Bottom