What's new

The Economist: Bangladesh’s GDP per capita now higher than Pakistan’s

Well done, Bangladesh. This proves that destroying the Two Nation Theory did you good. By doing so you got past the "Pakistan Matlab Kya" and got out of the "ummah chumma". Instead you got on what matters. Building your country.

Congrats.,!
No, two nation theory is still there. But, it is now a two-nation and three-country theory. This three country solution is the legacy of 1940 Lahore Resolution, pronounced by Sher-e-Bangal Fazlul Haq and adopted by the All-India Muslim League Conference.

By the way, do you people know who bestowed this khetab, "Sher-E-Bangal" to the then Chief Minister of Bengal? It was none other than the participants of the general session of that Lahore Conference. Leaders there were certainly from many parts of India, but the general people were mostly Lahori/Punjabi. After he declared the Resolution, people there started to shout Sher-E-Bangal zindabad. From this point on he is being called so.

No, two nation theory is still there.
No, it is not. Two Nation Theory implies exactly that "two nations". What we have now is "Three Nation Theory". If there had been only two nations they would have remained two nations but as 1971 proved - we had at least three.

And yes I am aware of the Lahore Resolution 1940 and it's referance to two Muslim majority states.

23h3x2p.jpg

Isn't that same for all developing countries?
It is but in case of Pakistan it is at altogether another level. Tax avoidence in Pakistan is in league of it's own.

No, it is not. Two Nation Theory implies exactly that "two nations". What we have now is "Three Nation Theory". If there had been only two nations they would have remained two nations but as 1971 proved - we had at least three.

And yes I am aware of the Lahore Resolution 1940 and it's referance to two Muslim majority states.

23h3x2p.jpg

It is but in case of Pakistan it is at altogether another level. Tax avoidence in Pakistan is in league of it's own.
No, Hindus and Muslims are two nations by the definition of two-nation theory. But, the resolution clearly says of independent states as can be seen in the resolution, “ ---------the North-Western and Eastern Zones of India should be grouped to constitute “Independent States” in which the constituent units shall be autonomous and sovereign”. So, two nation theory is still valid, albeit, with three States.

Some people here in PDF argued about the ineptitude of pre-partition Bengal Muslim leaders, they did not press for an independent Bengal. It is not correct. Our leaders had the foresight to see that India will just send its forces to occupy the weak Bengal in the east as well as the weak Pakistan in the west if Bengal insisted on remaining an independent state at that time.

People of Bengal would have killed the leaders had they wished to do so. It was the wave of Pakistan Movement in Bengal that created Pakistan. People of Bengal were not yet ready to be apart from the Muslims in the west. Unfortunately, it was the west that brutally kicked us away from them, but are now blaming us for the end result.

23h3x2p.jpg

unitil 1946 dehli convention muslim league aimed to create two states
such an arrangement was also accepted in cabinent mission

if cabinet mission would have been accepted by congress(3 regions in very loose fedration) today SAARC would have been super power

No, Hindus and Muslims are two nations by the definition of two-nation theory
So you, a Turk, a Bosnian, a Jamaican convert, a Iranian are all the same nation? And all it takes is converting to a Muslim to become this nation? Are you for real???

:-) When I wrote the previous comment, I had a thought here comes Mage or Bilal Bhai - 2 Bdshians who don't even live in BD but are yet excited about per capita per capita, gdp gdp and fertility rate reduction mumbo jumbo. lol
I lived in BD till 2013. Still visit there from time to time. And will return someday.
Anyway, you are right, average folk's lives don't change overnight. Unlike BD which just started developing, Pk has been working on poverty reduction for decades on and off and yet there are millions of poor people. Pk has even seen gdp growth rate in double digits at times, seen massive infrastructure projects again and again unlike BD where people are still planning on road/railway connectivity within country.
Well, poverty and income inequality is probably lower in Pakistan. However decades of work on poverty reduction, double digit growth rate and massive infrastructures don't seem to have the desired effects since your per capita fell behind BD.
As for Pk export, well Pak doesn't have a policy of export promotion unlike BD. Heck, sometimes I actually laugh at different mind set of Bd people. For example, 98% of Pakistanis have power connection with load shedding compared to 60% of Bd people. Pakistanis cry for uninterrupted power and power plants for people while Bdshians talk about new power plants to boost export.
That's nice and all. But,
Hell, I even read an article here in which the title was how pollution is reducing GDP by 1%. I mean how about people's health?
What is this? Check life expectancy at birth, child mortality rate. I think BD is ahead in all health indexes compared to Pakistan.
Lol it's about priorities. For you it's probably export, not so much for us, it should change a little though.
For you, what is the priority? It can't be health for obvious reasons. And even if it is health then you must be doing a terrible job.

Thats because Pakistan has a higher population than Bangladesh's.

So you, a Turk, a Bosnian, a Jamaican convert, a Iranian are all the same nation? And all it takes is converting to a Muslim to become this nation? Are you for real???
Did I ever say of the two-nation theory in the context of Turk, Bosnian or Iranian? I said it in the context of Indian subcontinent before partition in 1947. Note also, the then country was divided into two countries and three zones only because the Congress Party failed to accept the Cabinet Mission formula of May, 1946. Muslim League accepted it, but not the Congress.

This non-acceptance led to the Direct Action Day in Calcutta. This riot forced the British and Congress to accept an independent Pakistan, though the Cabinet Mission was only proposing two autonomous regions in the NE (Bengal and Assam) and NW in a federal country after the British left.

Muslim League accepted this formula, but the Congress forced to divide the country by not accepting it. As the saying goes, Rome was not built in a day, similarly, Pakistan was not formed in a day. There have been many twists, ups and downs of political events that finally created a new country.

In Karachi alone there're 250K armed-to-the-teeth - who knows may be NATO bashers directly from the Afgan fronts - private body guards!!! Who exactly needs such elaborate private security arrangement???? The other guys are the South American cartels!!! And, more importantly how much financial holdings have to be at stake to incur that much humungous cost from own pockets???? Here's a simple estimation:
If each armed war veteran body guard is indicative of a $1m yearly economic activity, then 250Kx1m = 250b$ = BD's GDP!!!!!

***Please note that Pak harbors extremely secretive staffs - be it nukes, missiles, ISI or individual/national finances....

In Karachi alone there're 250K armed-to-the-teeth - who knows may be NATO bashers - private body guards!!! Who exactly needs such elaborate private arrangement???? And, more importantly how much financial holdings have to be at stake to incur that cost from own pockets???? Here's a simple estimation:
If each armed veteran body guard is indicative of a $1m yearly economic activity, then 250Kx1m = 250b$ = BD's GDP!!!!!
Than imagine entire Pakistan has how much GDP. It is 10 times of Turkey.:D:D

I lived in BD till 2013. Still visit there from time to time. And will return someday.

Same here. I have seen the improvements over the last two decades personally although I remain busy in travel overseas. Been back regularly and keep up with everything. Airplane fare is not that expensive you know. :-)

Well, poverty and income inequality is probably lower in Pakistan. However decades of work on poverty reduction, double digit growth rate and massive infrastructures don't seem to have the desired effects since your per capita fell behind BD.

Pakistan never had the equivalent of Homegrown NGO's like BRAC, Grameen or Proshika and the social poverty-reduction mobilization that ensued in Bangladesh because of these grassroots organizations.

They probably had a lot of other initiatives maybe, but there was no equivalent of either the micro-credit revolution or the intensity of agricultural innovation we saw with rice research in Bangladesh. These were disruptive social innovations that changed the face of poverty in Bangladesh.

We grow two to three crops of rice a year on general arable land that is one third that of Pakistan in hectares, hence more than three times as productive agriculturally. We grew 34.7 Million tonnes of rice compared to 6.9 Million tonnes of rice in Pakistan last year. Granted - Pakistanis don't each as much rice as we do - but, rice as a crop is worth money still...

Pakistan was blessed with a lot of resources (especially the fertile Punjab and Sindh areas), but maybe proper utilization and mobilization was not on a level like we have in Bangladesh.

The general sense of 'doing societal good' hardly exists anywhere in South Asia like it does in Bangladesh and that with participation of even idealistic upper-middle-class educated young people.

Pakistan is a country that largely revolves around Fauji power structure, adulation of fauji culture and industry that largely belongs to ex-military personnel or a small set of privileged feudal families (I could be wrong in my assumption however). Conversely we have the opposite of Bangladesh, straight abhorrence of Fauji culture and feudalism because of our egalitarian society, social mobility and a belief that poverty by itself is not dishonorable.

That's nice and all. But, What is this? Check life expectancy at birth, child mortality rate. I think BD is ahead in all health indexes compared to Pakistan.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/cHh...Bangladesh-70-years-after-the-British-le.html

To be fair - Pakistan's poverty rate is far ahead of anyone on the subcontinent. However they have their homework cut out to improve their grassroots healthcare for their poor.

For you, what is the priority? It can't be health for obvious reasons. And even if it is health then you must be doing a terrible job.

I'd agree. I wonder about healthcare mobilization there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom