What's new

The confused liberal

I think it is better to be more general, as follows:
How is this more general? When you stuck with religion....Is liberal only a counter for religion? Then prob the mullah did get it right when they went against it, no?

Back to your question which has very little to do with the topic but I see you wont give it a rest:

Person A: Every person should have equal freedom to practice their religion.

Person B: But my religion (take your pick) is the only true path to salvation and everyone must follow its tenets.

Person A: Sorry, but that violates the freedom of those who do not follow your religion.

Person B: If you are a liberal, you must accept my view too.

Person A: I accept your right to follow your religion, but I cannot accept your claim to force it on everybody else. You must respect their freedoms too.

Person B: Double Standards!

:D

person B does not represent 99% of the people you are trying to associate him/ her with so a very bad example indeed!

The bold part shows extremism.....and topic isnt about extremists.....

Nonsense! It is not liberals or conservatives (both terms in the context of Christianity and Western political spectrum) who are "confused". They both pretty much know what they want out of their lives.

It is Muslims who are confused. And boy, the kind of confusions they have.

Yes it was. I understand Falcon or Akhelios not understanding that but you too sire? :(

I only wish to avoid the ire of the powers that be by keeping the thread on track, that is all.

Nonsense! It is not liberals or conservatives (both terms in the context of Christianity and Western political spectrum) who are "confused". They both pretty much know what they want out of their lives.

It is Muslims who are confused. And boy, the kind of confusions they have.

I would generalize your point without specifying any particular religion, since any organized religion carried into the public domain, instead of the personal domain where it belongs, would be subject to such issues.

There is a thing called liberal and there is one called psuedo liberal two different things
Indeed. Pseudo-Liberal is the term I prefer to use for most 'Pakistani Liberals' whose liberalism extends only as far as imitating Westerners, berating men with beards, and writing anti-Army articles on Dawn from air-conditioned mansions while pretending they are very brave for doing that.

Person A: Every person should have equal freedom to practice their religion.

Person B: But my religion (take your pick) is the only true path to salvation and everyone must follow its tenets.

Person A: Sorry, but that violates the freedom of those who do not follow your religion.

Person B: If you are a liberal, you must accept my view too.

Person A: I accept your right to follow your religion, but I cannot accept your claim to force it on everybody else. You must respect their freedoms too.

Person B: Double Standards!

:D
Strawman. Nobody is saying that ''Liberals should accept people who force others to follow one ideology''. What people here are saying, and rightly so, is that some liberals are confused. Hence the title.
The fine youth labelling themselves liberal seem to think that it means away from mainstream or more westernized/ modernized or anti religion.
Notice how it refers specifically to those labeling themselves liberal while not actually being liberal.

The ''liberals'' in question here are not the ones who simply say 'don't force your religion on us'. The ''liberals'' in question here are the kind whose liberalism never extends beyond imitating the West while calling people who wear hijabs or beards backwards, for example. The kind that would label you an ''extremist mullah Wahabi terrorist'' if you keep a beard and say Alhamdullilah after sneezing.

A liberal who only opposes those that seek to force everyone to follow one particular ideology is not a 'confused liberal'. S/he is a liberal.

I think a liberal or a conservative, be it taken in the Western milieu or our own, goes a wide way past just religion or faith.

It is your approach to life. And those among whom you live it.

It is popular for both sides to sneer at each other and question their sincerity or credibility.

But for me the bottom line remains that there is no black or white on the question of liberal or conservative.

One could be extremely liberal in his views towards sex. Or marriage. Till it comes to ones sisters or daughters.

One could be extremely liberal about equality of all faiths. Till it comes to deciding which of them finds space in your own home.

There is a conservative fundamentalist in every liberal.

And a liberal of convenience in every conservative.

I think a liberal or a conservative, be it taken in the Western milieu or our own, goes a wide way past just religion or faith.

It is your approach to life. And those among whom you live it.

It is popular for both sides to sneer at each other and question their sincerity or credibility.

But for me the bottom line remains that there is no black or white on the question of liberal or conservative.

One could be extremely liberal in his views towards sex. Or marriage. Till it comes to ones sisters or daughters.

One could be extremely liberal about equality of all faiths. Till it comes to deciding which of them finds space in your own home.

There is a conservative fundamentalist in every liberal.

And a liberal of convenience in every conservative.

In simple plain terms apny gariban may koi nai jhankta.

Double standards are my birthright, and I shall have them.

Honesty, being fair and principled is what would determine my character. Either I am a man of my word and always stand by my principles or I am characterless.

It wasn't a measuring contest by the way, I said it in general not specific to anyone, applicable to everyone including me being the first one.

Not interested in measuring either.

Neither value being a better man in the conventional sense.

I recognize what I am, and make no apologies about the same.

Hence I am a non-confused multiple-standard non-conformist.

Quite a mouthful, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom