What's new

The chapatis (wheat roti) I make are like rubber. What can be done about it?

Skimming

Reaction score
Country
India

Clarification: Lest some readers misunderstand, let me add that the issue is NOT hardness. I am okay with it. The problem is it becomes like a RUBBER.

Last edited:
This is a question for reddit where the ladies are at.

I would suggest kneeding the dough more. If it is properly kneeded it can be flattened and rolled easier. I suspect your rotis are thick and hence doughy/rubbery.

Clarification: Lest some readers misunderstand, let me add that the issue is NOT hardness. I am okay with it. The problem is it becomes like a RUBBER.
The trouble is that it all depends on the moistening of the atta; if too much, it doesn't hold up to rolling, if too little, it will form rotis, but is liable to get hard on storage.

You clarified that it is not a problem with the rotis being hard, but with them being rubbery. Apparently, you are saying that the rotis become difficult to tear and eat.

Try mixing a bit of milk in the dough? You might have to experiment, using a tiny portion, and gradually increasing it, until it reaches the balance you want.

I would suggest kneeding the dough more. If it is properly kneeded it can be flattened and rolled easier. I suspect your rotis are thick and hence doughy/rubbery.
Most likely reason.

Also, too thick to heat through, remains 'kachcha' inside?

You really know how to hurt a guy.

The trouble is that it all depends on the moistening of the atta; if too much, it doesn't hold up to rolling, if too little, it will form rotis, but is liable to get hard on storage.

You clarified that it is not a problem with the rotis being hard, but with them being rubbery. Apparently, you are saying that the rotis become difficult to tear and eat.

Try mixing a bit of milk in the dough? You might have to experiment, using a tiny portion, and gradually increasing it, until it reaches the balance you want.

Most likely reason.

Also, too thick to heat through, remains 'kachcha' inside?

You really know how to hurt a guy.

lol - wasn't the intention, but it's highly unlikely the majority on this forum know much about roti other than eating it.

BC ye defense forum hai kya? I guess this is why people are addicted to PDF 😭

Answer to OP question, watch YouTube video and make sure you are using Atta.

Answer is that use good quality and branded attas, mix properly by combination of water and atta, refer YouTube.

Make properly on Tawa... :partay:

Well I am expect because started living alone when my age was 16 years old..

Back
Top Bottom