What's new

The Bollywood-ization of Pakistan

I would disagree with you. A research was done in strategy products and countries that are associated with it. For example italians are the best in design concepts may it be cloths or cars. Likewise every country has created a niche. I believe those niche products have a lot of worth and are sought around the world.

India is creating a niche in bollywood where people from Africa, to middle east and far east see these movies. It is not a invasion of culture more of a niche product that people would like to see. You give another 20 years the market for Bollywood will be sought even more and it's worth.

May be my using of the term 'invasion' (affect would be a substitute) was too broad here. When I meant cultural invasion, I meant some how it is affecting your life. But still the point remains the same. There are influences from different directions. But eventually, is it affecting your life or not is my question.

What i have seen is that western culture is increasing but afterall its globalization

Fatima would do great man. She is H*T. I don't like Sushmita and Aishwarya. Mahesh bhatt is a psycho man. LOL.

lol really ? i personally think aishwarya rai and sushmita sen are far more attractive but i do like fatima too she seems like a nice intelligent girl trying to do good for her country .

That is exactly what it means, the 'best' is not available locally, or people just prefer the 'imported product'. The same thing is happenig in the US, as the Japanese automakers run circles around the big three in all vehicle categories except for Trucks, and it shows in the sales.

Its not a 'Japanese invasion' except for those who want to stir up fear and arouse some sort of misplaced patriotism about 'buy local/American'. People will and should buy the quality car, not the POS that will fall apart after 50,000 miles.

Well people want to have fun, that's the bottomline.

The dancing is cool, the tunes are catchy, people love it.

Not always though , sometimes a senseless "Item Number" gets on the nerves

Thankfully the Bollywood-ization of BD has still to occur although our film industry tries to copy the Indian movies but gets nowhere near and no one really watches those films. The problem for us is the Indian soap operas which is saturating TV screens in BD.

If we are really talking about globalisation why are not BD channels allowed to broadcast in India? BD allows all Indian TV channels to screened here but none of ours is permitted just across the border although West Bengal shares the same language. I have recently heard that BD channels are watched in Pakistan and are quite popular in Karachi and in Punjab.

In this perspective it is an invasion because the cultural exposure is not being reciprocated. An invasion implies a deliberate policy to subsume or dominate another through force or in this case the cultural media.

Thankfully the Bollywood-ization of BD has still to occur although our film industry tries to copy the Indian movies but gets nowhere near and no one really watches those films. The problem for us is the Indian soap operas which is saturating TV screens in BD.

If we are really talking about globalisation why are not BD channels allowed to broadcast in India? BD allows all Indian TV channels to screened here but none of ours is permitted just across the border although West Bengal shares the same language. I have recently heard that BD channels are watched in Pakistan and are quite popular in Karachi and in Punjab.

In this perspective it is an invasion because the cultural exposure is not being reciprocated. An invasion implies a deliberate policy to subsume or dominate another through force or in this case the cultural media.

Since I'm not a bengali, I'm not aware of any bangla channels in India. Moreover, on a cable connection there are anywhere around 200-300 channels (because of multi languages), I don't know if people have time for channels from across the border. Only a bengali member from India can throw some light on it.

Last day am reading novel written Naseem Hijazi,in His fiction novel he copied some wordz of Mahasa bhai (Hindu leader),he says that if the era of 800 years of muslims in Andlus was came to an end,then y can't it happens in Sub-Continent,and I remember (guyz correct me if am wrong) once Sona Gandhi said that its no dought Pakistan won the war,but we won the CULTURAL war...

Trip to see Bollywood idol ends in jail

The father of Nasir Sultan, a 15-year-old Pakistani boy who has been imprisoned since August for entering India illegally to meet Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan, is hopeful that the Punjab and Haryana High Court will soon order his son’s release.
The boy is at the juvenile jail in Punjab’s Faridkot town, about 250 km from Chandigarh, after he was arrested by the Border Security Force near the India-Pakistan border.
Nasir has been booked under the Foreigners Act and the Passport Act for illegally entering India. He told police he came to India to meet Shah Rukh and participate in a TV reality singing contest.
He was brought to the Amritsar prison earlier this month after Pakistani embassy officials arrived to complete formalities to secure his release along with that of other Pakistani nationals lodged in Indian jails.
“The court will hear my son’s case, and I am confident that they will order his immediate release as he is innocent,” Nasir’s father Sultan Zareen told IANS.
Nasir is a resident of Dir in Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province, that is witnessing intense fighting between the militants and security forces. He left his house on the morning of Aug. 14, saying he would return that evening, but called his parents a month later to tell them that he was in jail in India.
Leading human rights activist from Pakistan, Ansar Burney, who has taken up Nasir’s case before the high court in Chandigarh through city-based rights activist and lawyer Ranjan Lakhanpal, said that India and Pakistan need to evolve a mechanism to return those who inadvertently cross the international border.

I hope the boy gets released soon.

Last edited:
Eventually he got released.

Nasir returns home with an unfulfilled dream

PTI | November 21, 2008 | 18:15 IST

Pakistani teenager Nasir Sultan, whose craze for a career in Bollywood landed him in a jail in Punjab, reunited with his father�on Friday�after being handed over to Pakistani authorities in Attari sans an unfulfilled dream of meeting his idol Shah Rukh Khan.

Indian authorities withdrew the case against 15-year-old Nasir, released him from prison and repatriated him after his case was taken up by leading rights activist Ansar Burney and other civil society groups.

Nasir had been booked under the Foreigners Act after his arrest.

The boy was received by his father Sultan Zareen and representatives of the Ansar Burney Trust on his arrival at the Pakistani side of the Wagah border post. Burney, the former federal minister for human rights and chairman of the Ansar Burney Trust, thanked India and the media for their support for efforts to free Nasir.

The boy had crossed the border in Ferozepur sector in a school uniform and without travel documents on August 16. He was arrested by the BSF.

Nasir was lodged in the Faridkot juvenile home since then. The Union Home Ministry issued the orders for his release on Thursday.

The boy was given a warm send-off from the juvenile home by the local police and civil officials, including Faridkot Deputy Commissioner V K Meena.

With tears in his eyes, he thanked the other inmates and also expressed the hope that another Pakistani boy Sunil, who is also lodged there, would be repatriated soon.

The case against the teenager was being heard by the district court at Ferozpur in Punjab. Burney had filed a petition seeking his release in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

Nasir, a die-hard fan of Shah Rukh, hails from a remote town in Dir district of Pakistan's troubled North West Frontier Province. Like most Pakistani boys his age, Nasir is an avid Bollywood fan and�is fascinated by the stunts in Hindi films.

Two days after he crossed the border on August 16, his father, who works at a petrol pump, got a call from Nasir, who said he was on his way to Mumbai. This was followed soon after by the news of his arrest. He is a class X student in the government school in his village Chukiatan in Dir.

At the end of the day it is our fault that our people are shallow enough to watch it. But that’s boredom and lack of exposure to quality content working out for you. We should try our best to counter this nonsense with decent and constructive entertainment and if we can’t do that we should certainly try to shut off this avalanche of crap. Maybe a mixture of the two will be the best solution. Otherwise this will seriously erode our culture and contribute to a psychological subjugation of Pakistan (or Bangladesh) in the long term. It’s not that I think Bollywood ought to be taken particularly seriously, but it’s just that there is a ideological, cultural and psychological vacuum in Pakistan (particularly with the lower classes) which the Mullahs version of Islam cannot fill and which the higher educated classes are not equipped to deal with either, therefore it should not be allowed to get exploited by those who would wish Pakistan ill. The primitive, vulgar violence and sexuality, materialism and unrealism known as Bollywood is bad enough for our society as it is without the mindless Indian nationalism and Hindu orientation that also comes with it. I have seen the profoundly disturbing effect of exposure to this shallow and misguided utopianism in people, particularly amongst the less widely exposed middle and lower classes, and I can tell you it may not be as wide spread or absolute but it is bad.

Back
Top Bottom