What's new

The birth of a liberal movement in Pakistan

And @ Pakistani brothers, remember Pakistan will be doomed if we choose the either one. We are not Turkey, if we follow Secularism/Liberalism, then Pakistan will breakup & if we follow Wahabiesm type of Islam than many people living in Eastern part of Pakistan will obviously opposed this & than exterimist will do all blood shed like they are already doing, the best for Pakistan is Sufism & is the soul & culture of Pakistan.

And @ Pakistani brothers, remember Pakistan will be doomed if we choose the either one. We are not Turkey, if we follow Secularism/Liberalism, then Pakistan will breakup & if we follow Wahabiesm type of Islam than many people living in Eastern part of Pakistan will obviously opposed this & than exterimist will do all blood shed like they are already doing, the best for Pakistan is Sufism & is the soul & culture of Pakistan.

How exactly would you break up ? If you give people the right to choose and remove centuries old influences from you political system.

Regardless Pakistan is incapable of doing this anyway. Not with the crazies out there. If ones in power make no effort to stop the Islamic extremists then they will only get worse and a stronger foot hold.

How exactly would you break up ? If you give people the right to choose and remove centuries old influences from you political system.

Regardless Pakistan is incapable of doing this anyway. Not with the crazies out there. If ones in power make no effort to stop the Islamic extremists then they will only get worse and a stronger foot hold.

Brother, I love Turkey, offence against Turkey was not intended in my last post. The message was to Pakistanis only, i hope they understand what i meant.

Brother, I love Turkey, offence against Turkey was not intended in my last post. The message was to Pakistanis only, i hope they understand what i meant.

I was not offended by it. Only wondering how the country would break up ? Do you mean the extremists will rise against it ? Any moderate would have zero trouble with it since it would not impede in his religious practice. Plus once you start to jail the crazies they will lose their support fast. Banning the religious parties would be a good start.

Taseer had Indian wife and he most probably was spying for India.
Most likely assisted in attack on Srilankan team aswell.
Nothing but a traitor.
His son hold Indian passport, what more proof of his Indian allegiance is needed?
Govt. need to explain his Indian nexus.

so just because some one has an indian wife makes him an indian agent? absurdly weird mentality......

late mr. salman taseer was married to ms talween singh they had a son both mr.taseer & ms.talween later divorce their son stayed with his mom in india late mr.taseer also loved his son like any other normal person their son mr.aatish taseer is an british-indian & lives in london,england, the UK

I was not offended by it. Only wondering how the country would break up ? Do you mean the extremists will rise against it ? Any moderate would have zero trouble with it since it would not impede in his religious practice. Plus once you start to jail the crazies they will lose their support fast. Banning the religious parties would be a good start.

Yup the extremist will rise against it & also a significant population(mostly from FATA,Some KP(Frontier) areas, some Balochistan areas,& i don't know but i think some in Punjab too) will also rise against it. So it will be totally impossible for Pakistan to control the population. Sufism is a very great & easy version of Islam which i am sure will be accepted by everyone.

All we need is a Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. But who's going to be that person?

I guess, Pervez Musharraf but not sure he can step his foot on Pakistani soil anytime soon..

Taseer had Indian wife and he most probably was spying for India.
Most likely assisted in attack on Srilankan team aswell.
Nothing but a traitor.
His son hold Indian passport, what more proof of his Indian allegiance is needed?
Govt. need to explain his Indian nexus.
C'mon man that's loose talk. It was his illegitimate child born out of a one night stand.

He even stayed away from his kid (which I think was wrong) for a very long time. I'm sure you can make masala like that about any overseas Pakistani too since you have to deal with Indians all the time, they are everywhere.

Congratulations to the liberals/seculars.....:tup:

btw, who's leading this so called movement :lol:

will we ever see this movement going for demonstrations ....:disagree:

Civil society rallies against Qadri’s supporters

LAHORE: The Joint Action Committee for People’s Rights on Saturday organised a rally outside the Quaid-e-Azam Library to protest against the mindset of a section of society, which was treating Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer’s killer as a hero.

The civil society activists belonging to the federation of 33 social organisations participated in the “Rally Against Fear” with the theme “Take your country back! Do not be silenced by fear! And raise your voices for justice”.

The participants included PPP Senator Abida Hussain, Shehrbano Taseer, former NCA dean Nazish Attahullah, Saleema Hashmi, Tahira Syed, Beachonhouse National University Dean Dr Mehdi Hassan, Punjab University English Department Chairperson Prof Dr Shaista Sonnu Sirajuddin, Sajida Vandal, Pervaiz Saleha, Bushra Aetizaz and Abida Syed.

The participants were holding placards inscribed with slogans in support of liberal democratic Pakistan with some reading: Islam does not belongs to maulvis, supporting a victim of injustice: blasphemy or respect?

Speaking on the occasion, Senator Abida Hussain said that Mullaism was rejected in Pakistan because this country didn’t belong to religious fanatics.

She said religious extremists were trying to make the murderer of the governor hero. She said there were some religious and political elements in the country who believed in violence, adding that the governor’s killing was an attack on the democratic institutions as well as the people.

Talking to Daily Times, Prof Dr Shaista Sirajuddin said, “This is dark time for all human beings who believe in human values and who stand up for tolerance and an enlightened mindset. Let us all stand up for what Salmaan died for.”

Dr Mehdi Hassan said it was a shameful act that people were appreciating the action of a killer. “It is painful that the media is projecting the killer as a hero and promoting his brand of Islam,” he said, and added that if Mumtaz Qadri had some problem, he should have tried to use legal methods instead of taking law in his hands.

Tahira Syed and Tamoor (from LUMS) sung revolutionary songs including Iqbal Bano’s Hum dakhein gay, Lazim he ke hum daikhein gay; Ye watan hamara hai and the national anthem.

Two documents were read out on the occasion and were distributed among the participants that included a mission statement.

Mission statement: The current debate on the blasphemy law has become so skewed, distorted and governed by fear that a man’s life is taken for merely speaking out against the injustices committed in the name of this law and his brutal murder is widely cheered. Are these the values by which we wish to define ourselves? Is this the society we wish to live in? Governor Taseer’s murder and the subsequent reaction to it demonstrate that the debate on the blasphemy law has been hijacked.

We believe that living in a democratic state entitles us to debate this law or any law passed by parliament in a safe and secure atmosphere. We have the right to debate laws and social issues without threat of harm or loss of life. We also condemn the emerging hero-worship of the governor’s murderer in the strongest way. A man who has committed a brutal murder in broad daylight has become a hero and warrior, not just by the fringe elements of society but also mainstream bodies as is starkly demonstrated by the following:

Lawyers showering the killer with rose petals on his arrival in court while the Islamabad Bar Council, in an unprecedented move, has offered the killer free legal representation.

The Jamaat Ahle Sunnat Pakistan (JASP), the largest body of the Barelvi sect, came out in support of the killer by insisting that “no Muslim should attend the funeral or even try to pray for the governor or express any kind of regret or sympathy over the incident”.

“We also condemn the culture of incitement and hatred which has been allowed to flourish by the continuing inaction on the part of successive governments. In order to prevent any such unfortunate incidents from recurring, we implore the government to take real and meaningful action against any and all people inciting hate crimes and the murder of those that dare to engage in the debate about the blasphemy law,” the statement said.

Governor’s statement on Aasia Bibi case: “She’s a woman who’s been incarcerated for a year and a half on a charge trumped up against her five days after the incident, where people who gave evidence against her were not even present. This is a blatant violation against a member of the minority community. This is a blatant miscarriage of justice and the sentence that has been passed is cruel and inhumane.”

Governor’s views on the blasphemy law: “The thing that I find disturbing is that if you examine the cases of the hundreds tried under this law, you have to ask how many of them are well-to-do? Why is that only the defenceless and poor are targeted?”

“What I find particularly distasteful is that when you speak of amendment people assume that you condone the crime. What we can do is to amend the law in such a way that the maker of a false accusation is tried under the same law.”

“Even people who are deeply religious have spoken out against this black law. Javed Ahmed Ghamidi, for example, has stated clearly that this has nothing to do with Islam – Islam calls on us to protect minorities, the weak and the vulnerable.”

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

the most this so called "liberal movement" can do is to light candles at the portraits or the site of taseer's death.....:coffee:

the most this so called "liberal movement" can do is to light candles at the portraits or the site of taseer's death.....:coffee:

atleast they have started , see liberals will not blow themselves or fight it with guns or bombs thats the difference btw them and the extremist . They will condemn this lunacy with reason

Sultan Masjid imam accused of inciting hatred against Sherry Rehman

KARACHI: An application asking for an investigation into the imam of DHA’s Sultan Masjid has been submitted by complainants who accused the imam of declaring MNA Sherry Rehman a ‘non-Muslim’. :pakistan:

Sherry Rehman, who has submitted a private member bill in the National Assembly proposing amendments to the blasphemy law, has been at the receiving end of fiery criticism from several religious political parties in the country. Concerns over her security increased after Punjab governor Salmaan Taseer was recently killed for his similar views on the blasphemy law.

Journalist Ali Kamran Chishti filed the application while other complainants listed are the late governor’s son, Shaan Taseer, and Sherry Rehman. The application was filed at the Darakshan police station on Sunday afternoon.

The application states that the police should file an FIR and launch a criminal investigation against the imam, Munir Ahmed Shakir.

“This is not just about Rehman or Salmaan Taseer. The whole point of this is that no one [has the right to be] judgmental other than God. If we have laws then you can prove something in court, but you cannot get up and start labelling people and inciting violence at such a sensitive time,” said Chishti.

“I was there at the sermon,” he told The Express Tribune. “At first, the imam indirectly praised Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri [who allegedly assassinated Taseer] and then lauded him directly. He started saying that the blasphemy law could not be changed and anyone doing so was wrong. He said that people like Sherry Rehman are now non-Muslims [because they are proposing changes to the law],” added the journalist. SHO Rana Amjad said that the Darakshan police immediately spoke to Imam Shakir, who categorically denied that he issued a fatwa or incited hatred against Rehman.

“We spoke to the imam. He said that this is absolutely not the case,” Amjad said. According to the police officer, the imam told him that he had only asked people at the sermon that keeping the situation in mind, they should not take the blasphemy law into their own hands and should let the courts handle the issue.

Shakir told the police that he had neither declared Rehman a blasphemer nor sanctioned her murder in any way.

“Intelligence agencies monitor Friday sermons and according to their report, such an event did not take place. We have told the complainant, Ali Kamran Chishti, to substantiate this [accusation],” Amjad added.

Chishti said that because there is no audio or visual recording of the sermon, they will be filing affidavits from three witnesses at the city court in Karachi on Thursday, following which they hope that the police will lodge an FIR.

A report published in Daily Times on Sunday stated that Sultan Masjid was being run under the supervision of Saudi Arabia’s military attache.

SHO Amjad said that they were looking into who governed the mosque’s affairs. Chishti said, “If it turns out that he is an employee of the Saudi consulate and has diplomatic immunity, the police will file an FIR based on the law for foreigners.”

Amjad also denied that hate literature was being circulated outside mosques in the area.

In an interview with The Express Tribune in December, former president Pervez Musharraf recalled how a DG Inter-Services Intelligence was exiting Sultan Masjid and had caught a young boy distributing hate literature outside while the police was simply looking the other way.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 10th, 2011.

atleast they have started , see liberals will not blow themselves or fight it with guns or bombs thats the difference btw them and the extremist . They will condemn this lunacy with reason

yeah atleast they are lighting candles.

and if there's any birth of any such movement, it's good for the liberals, now it's time to show their strength on ground. unless they don't prove their worth, nobody is gonna take them seriously ....

Back
Top Bottom