What's new

The Big Story:The Secret 'K' Missile Family

I doubt the picture of submarine in the article is of Arihant. The picture on Livefist of Arihant is completely different.

Also, how come K-4 be soo similar to Polaris. Even the paint job? The content might be true but people shouldn't take the pictures for granted.

you should observe those folks around this submarine mate !!!!!!!!!1:angel:;)

The best part of the story is that we are continously 'evolviing' new missiles rather sticking with old platforms.

This also leads to a 'pseudo' cometition within the DRDO and ultimately the Armed forces and the nation as a whole is benifitted.

Jai Ho.

Good so you admit that there is no tactical, operational or strategic use of this missile. Its only purpose is to show off your technological skills.

What a waste of resources and what a waste of time. This is a defence forum please discuss the defence implications of this system or else I would suggest that post such things in some technology forum.

How about you think this thru for a long time.....I am sure you can come up with a number of possible defense implications! For one, its role as a counter attack missile is unquestionable and its range allows it to attack from a number of places. Come on bro, you really could;t come up with that by yourself?

Don;t educate the enemies....Indians let them think what not......let them be surprised if they start an act of war!

These missiles can also carry a non nuclear warhead but they are essentially designed to carry nuclear or thermonuclear warheads, maybe MIRVed in the longer range versions. Yes you are right, they have little relevance in sub-nuclear conflicts in that they are basically designed to meet the requirements of India's nuclear triad. Being SLBMS, they strengthen the second strike capability in conjunction with our SSBNs.
So yes, they have little role in sub-nuclear conflicts. But they are extremely vital in ensuring that the conflict remains sub-nuclear in the first place. That is what second strike capability gives you, it neutralises the adversory's nuclear arsenal so that we are back to conventional war fighting.

Thanks for your reply. Why do you Indians get so emotional ? I was not even trying to flame anyone. Primarily I have know how on aviation systems and just needed to get educated.

As far as Pakistan's second strike capability is concerned, we have hardened centers designed to withstand a direct nuclear strike. These centers would preserve the weapons, delivery systems, manpower, command and control systems required to launch a nuclear weapon. If India strikes first Pakistan shall have the capability to strike back both using aircrafts and missiles even several months after the first strike.

Nice missile congrats to you Indians. But honestly I don't think this changes the India-Pakistan Scenario in any major way.

Good so you admit that there is no tactical, operational or strategic use of this missile. Its only purpose is to show off your technological skills.

What a waste of resources and what a waste of time. This is a defence forum please discuss the defence implications of this system or else I would suggest that post such things in some technology forum.

well even a spoon can be used as a weapon by sharping its edges.

it has many purposes like we can drop sitting 3500kms away beneath the water ,a 1 ton bag full of chicken on any one

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Why do you Indians get so emotional ? I was not even trying to flame anyone. Primarily I have know how on aviation systems and just needed to get educated.

As far as Pakistan's second strike capability is concerned, we have hardened centers designed to withstand a direct nuclear strike. These centers would preserve the weapons, delivery systems, manpower, command and control systems required to launch a nuclear weapon. If India strikes first Pakistan shall have the capability to strike back both using aircrafts and missiles even several months after the first strike.

Nice missile congrats to you Indians. But honestly I don't think this changes the India-Pakistan Scenario in any major way.

You have to understand that our nuclear strategy is not limited to Pakistan alone. Submarine based delivery systems are essential so that an adequate number of nuclear assets survive a devastating nuclear strike from a vastly superior nuclear force so that a riposte is possible. This is the basis of a second strike capability. This is deterrence. This is the capability which India has been trying to develop and deploy.

Regarding, the first part of your post, I try to ignore the emotional content while going through a thread. Sometimes that is difficult but it can be done, you can try it too.

I have met DRDO scientist manning "Shaurya" in Defense Expo - Delhi. Both of them were saying that its a better missile then Agni series.

In terms of defense mechanism, slick design & size, unpredictable in trajectory(hence more difficult to destroy by enemy), easy to transport, maintenance free, hypersonic etc. etc. :smokin:

And they were saying that they are developing 5000 kms range of this missile and it will replace or compliment Agni missiles.

I have met DRDO scientist manning "Shaurya" in Defense Expo - Delhi. Both of them were saying that its a better missile then Agni series.

In terms of defense mechanism, slick design & size, unpredictable in trajectory(hence more difficult to destroy by enemy), easy to transport, maintenance free, hypersonic etc. etc. :smokin:

And they were saying that they are developing 5000 kms range of this missile and it will replace or compliment Agni missiles.

You know what, I think the Agni V will actually be a land based K-4 . It'll be an 'Agni' in name only :azn:

Shaurya (imo) is to replace the Prithvi

You know what, I think the Agni V will actually be a land based K-4 . It'll be an 'Agni' in name only :azn:

Shaurya (imo) is to replace the Prithvi

K - 4 is different missile , while AGNI 5 will be land based and will be different , DRDO working on another missile K-V SLBM which will be submarine launched version of AGNI 5 [ 3 stage missile ].

K - 4 is different missile , while AGNI 5 will be land based and will be different , DRDO working on another missile K-V SLBM which will be submarine launched version of AGNI 5 [ 3 stage missile ].

The K series of missiles is totally different from the Agni family. Agreed.

But the article says the need for a "standardized" missile family, which covers both sea and land variants.

Shaurya (derivative of K-15) will replace the Prithvi and K-4 (derivatives) will replace the Agni (they might keep the name, heck the Agni V might actually be a K-4)

I don't think there is a K-V, because the Agni is too damn huge. That was the whole point of the K series, to make a compact high tech missile

The K series of missiles is totally different from the Agni family. Agreed.

But the article says the need for a "standardized" missile family, which covers both sea and land variants.

Shaurya (derivative of K-15) will replace the Prithvi and K-4 (derivatives) will replace the Agni (they might keep the name, heck the Agni V might actually be a K-4)

I don't think there is a K-V, because the Agni is too damn huge. That was the whole point of the K series, to make a compact high tech missile

Submarine-launched ballistic missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just went through Wiki , Its updated from what i saw yesterday

The K -4 is actually based on AGNI 3 which was earlier called K-X

While there are plans for submarine launched version of AGNI 5 named K- v

It has nothing to do with Pakistan but has everything to do with China.

As things stand now,China has so many conventional missiles that with a barrage of conventional missiles,she can take out the Indian nuclear missile capability or atleast severely hobble it leaving her defenseless in case the war goes nuclear.

India needs the submarine arm to hide her nuclear missiles from getting destroyed in a conventional attack.

It has nothing to do with Pakistan but has everything to do with China.

As things stand now,China has so many conventional missiles that with a barrage of conventional missiles,she can take out the Indian nuclear missile capability or atleast severely hobble it leaving her defenseless in case the war goes nuclear.

India needs the submarine arm to hide her nuclear missiles from getting destroyed in a conventional attack.
So wat about so many conventional missiles in indian arsenal,won't they be used to strike china's nuclear facility:what:,why do u think Risat-2 was launched and some other spy sats,disguised as conventional sats...?
The first thing both china and india will do is to destroy each other nuke missile bases...But there are underground silos,for example shourya is a hypersonic with a range of 1500Km,which is stored is underground silos and sat can detect em,so this will be a second strike capabilty
and also Indian Nuke will be in the sea with its nuke ready to launch,this is also a second strike capabilty..
And not to forget,Brahmos ALCM NUke capable on Su-30's will be extensively used to enter enemy terrority and nuke a very valued target..
and remember Su-30MKI has a range of 5000Km...

And yes i agree,Nuke sub or aircraft carriers will not be used against pakistan....
only Brahmos and Brahmos ALCM will be used extensively.....
So pakistan need not wory about carrier or Nuke sub

Back
Top Bottom