What's new

The 36th anniversary of the Iranian revolution

SALMAN F

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Iraq
The return of the founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, to Tehran from exile in Paris on February 1, 1979 marks the beginning of Ten-Day Fajr (Dawn) ceremonies as well as the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

On January 16, 1979, Mohammad Reza Shah, a staunch ally of the United States, left Iran forever, and on February 11, his government led by Shapur Bakhtiar was toppled. Soon after, the clerical system of governance and the Shiite Islamic revolution became triumphant.

image.jpg

Iran launch a satellite with the 36th anniversary of the revolution
Iranian satellite successfully placed in orbit | Spaceflight Now

Political and economic successes
The Islamic Republic has definitely been successful on several spectrums, including technologically, through communication, militarily, transportation and other platforms.

Iran has become much more self-reliant in several industries including automobile manufacturing (Iran Khodro) and defense (manufacturing domestic missiles, radar systems, tanks). This week, as the 10 days of celebrations highlighting the 36th anniversary of the victory of the Islamic Revolution, the Islamic Republic launched its fourth satellite into orbit. In addition, Iran has significantly advanced in nuclear technology, being a short technical step away from becoming a nuclear state, and improved in manufacturing long range missiles.

Regarding social issues, the health care system has improved significantly since the establishment of the Islamic Republic, spreading to villages and small cities and increasing the life expectancy of Iranian people.

Regionally speaking, the Islamic Republic exerted significant influence geopolitically by impacting political chessboard of the region through a unique manifestation of foreign policy. The ruling-cleric’s foreign policy was propelled by the amalgamation of ideological, geopolitical, and strategic interests.

So do Iranians like the shah more or the Khomenei's? The ones I met in Canada have been very vocal against the current regime.
The Iranian immigrants that you see outside Iran are not a good sample for determining the dominant attitude of Iranians towards the current government. Please note that the number of Iranians living outside Iran is insignificant compared to those who are living in Iran.

I really can't compare the two. I was only four when the revolution happened and most of the people that you see in this forum were born well after the revolution.

So do Iranians like the shah more or the Khomenei's? The ones I met in Canada have been very vocal against the current regime.

The current 'regime' has the backing of the majority of the Iranian people. You do get shah supporters every now and then in the west but these are the same people that worship anything western or people that are essentially anti-Islamic and hate the Islamic republic. The revolution turned Iran into an independent nation. Those who support the shah are essentially supporting a regime that was put into place by the British and the Americans after assassinating an Iranian democratically elected president. So when you ask "do Iranians like the shah?" you're essentially asking are Iranians a low, treasonous bunch with no integrity and honour. You have been talking to the type of people that value the west over their own nation and pride. A lot of shah supporters don't actually have a clue about who the shah was and at what cost his regime was created, they just support him because they see him as the champion of the Persian 'pride' with his celebration in Persepolis every year etc.
Iran's independence came with a price. All these sanctions and hardship are a price Iran is paying for refusing to be a part of the imperialist gang. The more Iran is cut from this international American dollar/leeching system, the more healthier Iran will be. The American/western way of life can only support temporary prosperity, but in the long run as you can see by their own debt riddled nation, they will go down the drain. I rather Iran being in an austere state for a 1500 years than to be a 'prospering' nation like the US for a 100 years and then poof, disappear from history :lol:

Besides,If we Iranians can't live and prosper as a nation without the likes of the Americans allowing/helping us then we don't deserve to continue as a civilisation. But I tell you this, Iran has been around for over 7000 years and will continue long after the likes of US have perished.

Last edited:

Iranians have a much more diverse political inclinations that you realize. From communists to capitalists to monarchists (not only Pahlavi but also Qajar supporters) to anarchists to Islamists (not only velayat but also the ones who support separation of state and mosque, etc etc) to secular republicans to even Achaemenid supporters (yes they exist too). You see when a country has a very very long history, then this is what happens and it is normal. You will be able to understand this if Pakistan becomes a few thousand years old. When people pick their personal political ideologies from different eras of their history and the history of the world, which they like.

I have come to respect Iran and Iranians because of the strong foreign policy Iran has instituted. I have learned much from you guys. Thank you.

Personally I don't think Iran should support Syria under Bashar Al Assad. There are better ways to defend muslims around the world than support such regimes which are actually killing their own people. I wish you Iranians luck in your aspirations and I want to see a strong and united Iran, part of the ummah.

I clearly didn't know that the current regime in Iran has the unequivocal support of most of Iran's population. I knew this about Hamas but not about Iran. Contact with Canadian Iranians perhaps is not the best measure of how Iranians feel about the current regime. I still want ties to improve between our nations though because ties are people to people, not regime to regime.

I have come to respect Iran and Iranians because of the strong foreign policy Iran has instituted. I have learned much from you guys. Thank you.

Personally I don't think Iran should support Syria under Bashar Al Assad. There are better ways to defend muslims around the world than support such regimes which are actually killing their own people. I wish you Iranians luck in your aspirations and I want to see a strong and united Iran, part of the ummah.

I clearly didn't know that the current regime in Iran has the unequivocal support of most of Iran's population. I knew this about Hamas but not about Iran. Contact with Canadian Iranians perhaps is not the best measure of how Iranians feel about the current regime. I still want ties to improve between our nations though because ties are people to people, not regime to regime.

Thank you.

Had you seen Syria before all this mess started?

Congrats to Iranians on overthrowing the tyrant shah.
Most immigrants abroad are ultra modernist Irani's. They are also usually atheists. They left Iran after the revolution.

I traveled to Syria back in 2003 and saw Damascus. It looked like a 3rd level city in Iran as the economy was much weaker that that of Iran. However, what caught my eyes was that people were happy. Much happier than what you could even see in Tehran.

What I'm trying to say is Bashar may not be the evil that everyone thinks he is. Our image from Syria is extremely distorted due to inconsistent news that we hear. The accusation that he has ordered his army directly to kill people may only be a trick to destabilize his public support. I also need to remind you that base on the latest polls last year, he still has the support of majority of Syrians.

And if none of the above is true, a bad leader controlling a stable country is much better than anarchy. That's how savages like ISIS are born.

There was this 'Green Movement'. It didn't have much support.

Having a democracy does not necessarily guarantee individual free will, me believe. It is the ability to exercise free will that bring happiness.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom