What's new

Thar Block II Unearths Coal.

How about the quality? I have heard that it has too much Sulfur?

Pakistan can increase its forest cover rather than not utilizing the coal. After successful implementation of billion tree tsunami project, I am sure we can do 10 billion in next 5 years.. and 25 billion in 10 years..

Coal's effects will be seen in Baluchistan too, if forest cover is not increased..
That can be addressed via treatment ... You can process exit gases

That can be addressed via treatment ... You can process exit gases
Even then, some cities are now suffering from high green house gases.. No matter how much you treat, it will add some proportion of green house gases into the environment.

That's why forest cover is important.

Even then, some cities are now suffering from high green house gases.. No matter how much you treat, it will add some proportion of green house gases into the environment.

That's why forest cover is important.
Thereis no dispute on forest cover ...

My simple point is all the big economies are adding green house gases and increasing exports while country like us are being taught of pollution ... If we dont do this then we will die from starvation ... We have to be mean in using our narural resources for sometime till we achieve industrial growth after achieving economies of scale we can think of changing energy mix

Last edited:
Pakistan can increase its forest cover rather than not utilizing the coal. After successful implementation of billion tree tsunami project, I am sure we can do 10 billion in next 5 years.. and 25 billion in 10 years..
Pakistan definitely needs to increase its forest cover and if IK comes to power I hope he can plant more than 20 billion trees at least in next 5 years.

Last edited:
Pakistan definitely needs to increased the forest cover and if comes to power I hope he can plant more than 20 billion trees at least in next 5 years.
20 billion in next five years in not possible.. 10? Yes.. But if we are able to plant 20 billion in the next 10 years, I would call it a huge achievement.

Thereis no dispute on forest cover ...

My simple point is all the big economies are adding green house gases and increasing exports while country like us are being taught of pollution ... If we dont do this then we will die from starvation ... We have to be mean in using our narural resources for sometime till we achieve industrial growth after achieving economies of scale we can think of changing energy mix
That's right..

The only problem is that we are one of the worst hit countries by the global warming. Others don't care about it due to global warming not affecting them too much..

Pakistan ranks 7 in the top ten affected countries.. by 2040, 11 million Pakistanis will die/ be affected by 2040 by the floods due to rise in temperature in western himalayan region..

http://www.technologyreview.pk/perils-inaction-climate-change/

Although energy is needed, but risks have to be managed first.. I am not opposing usage of coal as Pakistan is in a dire need of energy, but I am only saying that we have to give equal importance to the climate change..

Actually, since we are one of the worst affected, we should raise our voice in UN against the countries who are the main culprits..

Then we should create dams ... Weather hit is mainly on account of reduction in water reservoirs ... Forestation yes we should do but nothing can be done without resources ... Just imagine how much resources we will generate using thar coal ,,, almost all the cost will be consumed internally in comparision to procured oil from outside Pakistan ...

In last 2 years, we installed 6 powers of around 2000 MWs based on imported coal but no discussions on the topic ... 2500 MW based on imported coal is under construction ,, all around Karachi ,,, So in total we will have following coal-based power plants within Karachi:

Bin Qasim 1320
KESC 700
Hub 1320
Lucky 660
Fauji 118

So around 4,000 MW from coal within boundaries of Karachi but no one is raising question as this is from imported coal and multinationals are making money but suddenly when a consortium of a local giant (engro) and government started a project to be based on local resources (even away from population suddenly all hue and cry ...

We have to understand this greater plan ... Yes we need to take care of environment therefore we need to find workaround to reduce the damage to minimum but there is no other way ,,, our import bill is increasing day by day and exports are decreasing due to being expensive ,,, when will we start learning that these environmental issues are being highlighted with a purpose

20 billion in next five years in not possible.. 10? Yes.. But if we are able to plant 20 billion in the next 10 years, I would call it a huge achievement.

That's right..

The only problem is that we are one of the worst hit countries by the global warming. Others don't care about it due to global warming not affecting them too much..

Pakistan ranks 7 in the top ten affected countries.. by 2040, 11 million Pakistanis will die/ be affected by 2040 by the floods due to rise in temperature in western himalayan region..

http://www.technologyreview.pk/perils-inaction-climate-change/

Although energy is needed, but risks have to be managed first.. I am not opposing usage of coal as Pakistan is in a dire need of energy, but I am only saying that we have to give equal importance to the climate change..

Actually, since we are one of the worst affected, we should raise our voice in UN against the countries who are the main culprits..

So around 4,000 MW from coal within boundaries of Karachi but no one is raising question as this is from imported coal and multinationals are making money but suddenly when a consortium of a local giant (engro) and government started a project to be based on local resources (even away from population suddenly all hue and cry ...

We have to understand this greater plan ... Yes we need to take care of environment therefore we need to find workaround to reduce the damage to minimum but there is no other way ,,, our import bill is increasing day by day and exports are decreasing due to being expensive ,,, when will we start learning that these environmental issues are being highlighted with a purpose
I have heard that Pakistani coal is expensive due to its high treatment costs and the depth it is extracted from.... is it true?

I have heard that Pakistani coal is expensive due to its high treatment costs and the depth it is extracted from.... is it true?

Yes expensive in comparison to imported coal but it was for previous mines of Badin ...

Actually people do not understand that these reserves have different chemical compositions and impurities so you use to develop processes specific to that particular deposit,, if a deposit is small then R&D cost (to extract it and refine it and to set up a plant to cater the particular requirements of that deposit) per unit will be higher and hence cost of generation is higher ...

On the contrary with thar coal deposits are huge therefore R&D done on utilizing that coal will be absorbed easily and will have minimum impact on per unit cost of electricity generation ... We can develop technologies to use these deposits by most efficient means ...

You can take example of Sui reserves ,, the deposit of Sui reserves were so huge that they absorbed the cost of the distribution network of gas all around Pakistan and hence now the cost of gas in Pakistan is minimal even lower than gas exporting countries ... Whereas countries like UAE and Saudia are not successful in setting up gas distribution networks ...

furthermore, whatever you will spend on it will be circulated within the economy, for example even if the cost of thar coal is 30$ per ton whereas cost of international coal is 28$ per ton even then it is more feasible to use local coal as the 30$ you invested is distributed within your own population and it will give a boast to GDP whereas in case of import the 28$ will get out of your GDP ...

Yes expensive in comparison to imported coal but it was for previous mines of Badin ...

Actually people do not understand that these reserves have different chemical compositions and impurities so you use to develop processes specific to that particular deposit,, if a deposit is small then R&D cost (to extract it and refine it and to set up a plant to cater the particular requirements of that deposit) per unit will be higher and hence cost of generation is higher ...

On the contrary with thar coal deposits are huge therefore R&D done on utilizing that coal will be absorbed easily and will have minimum impact on per unit cost of electricity generation ... We can develop technologies to use these deposits by most efficient means ...

You can take example of Sui reserves ,, the deposit of Sui reserves were so huge that they absorbed the cost of the distribution network of gas all around Pakistan and hence now the cost of gas in Pakistan is minimal even lower than gas exporting countries ... Whereas countries like UAE and Saudia are not successful in setting up gas distribution networks ...

furthermore, whatever you will spend on it will be circulated within the economy, for example even if the cost of thar coal is 30$ per ton whereas cost of international coal is 28$ per ton even then it is more feasible to use local coal as the 30$ you invested is distributed within your own population and it will give a boast to GDP whereas in case of import the 28$ will get out of your GDP ...
"This coal is perfect for mine-mouth power plants" which would be around 3.5km (or less) away from the coal-pit thus reachable by a conveyor belt instead of truck, ship, or train journeys of hundreds of miles

Pollution levels are self evident. You dont need to take it so defensively; think before you type. Read my subsequent posts to alternatives including syncrude.
Come here as well where for power we are using coal as well; at times air is so bad in johannesburg from the sulphur.
It will not be an issue till we hit 20-30% and we are at 0.1%...we are dumping more sulphur via furnace oil lol

BBC Bitesize:

Sulfur dioxide
Power stations give out sulfur dioxide, which is thought to be a cause of acid rain. The amount of sulfur dioxide given off by a power station can be reduced by:
  • removing sulfur from natural gas and fuel oil
  • removing sulfur dioxide from the flue gases emitted by coal-burning power stations.
Wet scrubbing - Higher tier
Wet scrubbing involves the removal of sulfur dioxide from flue gases before it escapes from the power station chimney. Two methods are employed:
  • spraying the flue gases with seawater droplets (naturally alkaline) which react with the sulfur dioxide
  • using powdered lime (calcium oxide) mixed with water to form an alkaline slurry. When mixed with air and sprayed with the slurry the sulfur dioxide in the flue gases reacts and forms solid calcium sulphate. This solid is removed allowing cleaned gases to escape.
Coal-powered stations give off solid particulates. These can also be removed from the flue gases. Waste gases pass through an electrostatic precipitator allowing particulates to be collected and removed.

It will not be an issue till we hit 20-30% and we are at 0.1%...we are dumping more sulphur via furnace oil lol
yep!
Both natural gas and fuel oil fired, for some reason some people here don't want Pakistan to benefit

Updates 19/6/2018.

35400611_2100769220169231_4521042284128501760_n.jpg

35401670_2100769490169204_7976393321150939136_n.jpg

35412019_2100769336835886_4950260382020141056_n.jpg

35414771_2100769370169216_2079865319274315776_n.jpg

35415859_2100769146835905_3055371032077533184_n.jpg

35482276_2100769416835878_1082163546197852160_n.jpg

35530577_2100769090169244_2521913936178053120_n.jpg

35544077_2100769040169249_5488134456646565888_n.jpg

Govt signs financial close for 660MW Lucky Power

ISLAMABAD: The government on Monday declared the financial closing of the 660MW Lucky Electric Power Project on Thar coal with targeted commercial operations by end of March 2021.

The documents of the financial closing were formally signed by Private Power & Infrastructure Board (PPIB) Managing Director Shah Jahan Mirza and Lucky Electric Coal Power Chief Executive Officer I. H. Haqqi. The signing ceremony was also witnessed by caretaker Minister for Energy, Barrister Syed Ali Zafar.

The project will be located at Port Qasim near Karachi, and based on local coal from Thar. The project is estimated to cost $1.081billion and will be equipped with super critical technology. Seawater will be utilised for cooling the plant.

Lucky Power Project is being financed through debt-to-equity ratio of 75:25. The consortium of lenders include Habib Bank, United Bank, National Bank, Bank Alfalah, Askari Bank, Soneri Bank, The Bank of Punjab, Meezan Bank, Faysal Bank and Dubai Islamic Bank.

Upon financial closing, PPIB will also issue sovereign guarantee on behalf of the government in favour of the project company to secure the payment obligations of the power purchaser.

The Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company which is the lease holder for execution of mining operations for coal extraction in the Thar coalfield, Block II will supply coal to the project while the electric power generated from it will be sold to Central Power Purchasing Agency-Guarantee under a 30-year power purchase agreement.

Back
Top Bottom