What's new

Thar Block II Unearths Coal.

Bro, I'm concerned with the local environment and health of the people. Pakistan should go for water + wind + solar + nuclear + biomass energy and if we have to use coal, it should be the most advanced cleanest technology and not something old and jaded spewings tonnes of CO2 and destroying the environment.
Brother we have installed 1200 MW coal plant at port qasim i.e. within Karachi .. second plant is planned at gawadar .. one in shaiwal ... Ypu never saw any campaign against those as they are for imported coal

This thar coal is away from population center ... At an ideal location where environmental effects will be minimum ... This is the way to go till we developed ourselvws industrially ... We need cheap energy to develop our industry ...

Agreed. Can you please get the correct figure - don't have time. Thanks.
That chart looks OK as far as overall energy is concerned where electricity is one among many

Bro, I'm concerned with the local environment and health of the people. Pakistan should go for water + wind + solar + nuclear + biomass energy and if we have to use coal, it should be the most advanced cleanest technology and not something old and jaded spewings tonnes of CO2 and destroying the environment.
Agreed. There is so much potential for solar.

Really happy to hear of this milestone being achieved. Pakistan need a cost effective, abundant, and native energy source for its economic transformation... This is just that!

Congrats!

Really happy to hear of this milestone being achieved. Pakistan need a cost effective, abundant, and native energy source for its economic transformation... This is just that!

Congrats!
Friend, you need to see the devastation of pollution resulting from low grade coal; i think this has very high sulphur content and is low to medium grade.

Friend, you need to see the devastation of pollution resulting from low grade coal; i think this has very high sulphur content and is low to medium grade.
We will worry obviously if its used significantly currently it will not even form 5% of the mix
Same low grade coal is used far more common all over the world

Somehow our people are very environmentally friendly so there is lot of resistance even for gas and hydro..we just want solar, even wind energy is not good for pakistanis... we are also against roads

Clean coal technologies have evolved significantly. They can combust low grade coal with fewer emissions and with high sulphur recoveries.

Every nation have used coal to transition into more "cleaner" energy sources. Why should that not be the case for Pakistan? Actually Pakistan's share of coal utilization is the lowest amongst the currently emerging economies, and is also the lowest vis-a-vis India.

Pakistan needs a cheap, abundant, and local energy source to develope it's economy and eventually transition itself.

Coal isn't the long term solution; it is definitely a interim or provisional advantage!

Last edited:
Clean coal technologies have evolved significantly. They can combust low grade coal with fewer emissions.

Every nation have used coal to transition into more "cleaner" energy sources. Why should that not be the case for Pakistan. Actually Pakistan's share of coal utilization is the lowest amongst the currently energies economies, and is also the lowest vis-a-vis India.

Pakistan needs a cheap, abundant, and local source to transition itself.

Coal isn't the long term solution; it is definitely a interim or provisional advantage!
Noted.... let us not use the term 'clean coal' - that is not right.

We have similar challenges here. But our coal is used primarily to convert to petroleum; here 80% of the fuel we have is synthetic. If the politicians have some insight they can learn from our SASOL example. Just google up Sasolburg and you will see the reactors and there is a huge facility at Secunda. If you do some reading you will see the huge chemical industry spinoff that resulted from this.

This is a barren desert with no population in several 100 square kms of area ...

Tell this to US, China and India the three largest coal user ...

This is a barren desert with no population in several 100 square kms of area ...

Tell this to US, China and India the three largest coal user ...
Pollution levels are self evident. You dont need to take it so defensively; think before you type. Read my subsequent posts to alternatives including syncrude.
Come here as well where for power we are using coal as well; at times air is so bad in johannesburg from the sulphur.

Pollution levels are self evident. You dont need to take it so defensively; think before you type. Read my subsequent posts to alternatives including syncrude.
Come here as well where for power we are using coal as well; at times air is so bad in johannesburg from the sulphur.

Are you intentionally missing the point that this is at a barren land with no population in several 100kms and cities are even further away ...

Furthermore you should study the projects ... the site is divided in 6 blocks and some of the blocks are being worked upon gassification of coal but it is taking time to be commercially feasible ...

Are you intentionally missing the point that this is at a barren land with no population in several 100kms and cities are even further away ...

Furthermore you should study the projects ... the site is divided in 6 blocks and some of the blocks are being worked upon gassification of coal but it is taking time to be commercially feasible ...
I am not intentionally missing the point. Air pollution carries a long way; depending on where the coal plants will be the impact will be very high.

I am not intentionally missing the point. Air pollution carries a long way; depending on where the coal plants will be the impact will be very high.
Yes but then why all the biggest economies are the major coal consumers ?

Finally...the black gold is unearthed...it was found several feet below(must be around 100 feet), the top rich soil can be used for the agriculture purposes.

59f4a5841fc6b.jpg

...and SECMC had empowered women like never before, Thar women driving the giant size dumpers.

Tharparkr-ki-khwatn-dumper-driver-bnne-lgy-3.jpg

https://www.dawn.com/news/1360970
How about the quality? I have heard that it has too much Sulfur?

Pakistan can increase its forest cover rather than not utilizing the coal. After successful implementation of billion tree tsunami project, I am sure we can do 10 billion in next 5 years.. and 25 billion in 10 years..

Coal's effects will be seen in Baluchistan too, if forest cover is not increased..

Back
Top Bottom