What's new

Terror activities of Indian consulates in Afghanistan

I understand the sentiment. The problem is not just the fighting capablity - in my opinion, in my experience, the problem is structural - it is a problem of governance - for instance, try and register a vehicle in an Afghan city, or get any kind of permit or license or any activity that involves interacting with govt types.

Now, I always like these kinds of things because I think it allows us to look at situations from a different persepective and to understand anew a predicament we kind ourselves in --

One of the strengths of the English was of course that they were long term players and left the Indian not just the Indian army but more importantly the civil service.

Try looking into the Afghan postal service, just as an example of the kinds of problems that any one faces -- houses do not have numbers, most building has taken place in unsanctioned sections (where ofcourse land and property rights are...."uncertain") honestly, without cell phones and given the lack of a postak service, imagine what society is?

Best way to deal with the Pashtun is to leave him alone - they are self regulating, self sustaining systems, the organization of the Pashtun is - the absoiutely most networked society you can imagine - all without a postal service, really fascinating stuff.

How to co-opt the Pashtun - that is the best question and most worthy challenge -- leave him the heck alone but do not discriminate against him - he is the majority, he is conservative (read backward) not stupid -- he will avail education when he can see his self interest in it.
\
The Pashtun say that govt schools turn Muslims into infidels, I say give me madaress which are in reality technical schools -- trades in Afg are learned in the old style, apprenticeship --- and lets be realistic, it's a long term project, not one the US can handle.

It's curious that no Turkish or UAE soldiers are ever targetted - even more interesting is that when UAE soldiers gone into a village they do not come in offering "security" - they bring FOOD!, grains and legumes -- the diet of the ordinary Afg is much improved, at least they now eat meat once a once, even if they have to take a loan to do so.

And the Pashtun mentality does not understand assistance the way you or I may understand it - these are terribly practical persons, worldly -- don't offer them assistance, the US is not understood as a Muslim country or even one friendly to Muslims - leave it at that, things must take their time, ande reconcile to the idea that modest notions of success are best.

Even though they may find it offensive, Pashtun affiliations and organizatiosn operate very much like Indian Hindu castes - perhaps we may learn by studying these.

Muse, I am shocked to see a Pakistani compare any society with any links to Pakistan or Islam to Hindu caste system. You are certainly not making yourself popular here!

Face against the wind - it's just the way it is. And I have not said anything other than the truth as I understand it. Now it may not be how they see it but we are looking for solutions, that the important thing "it does not matter whether the cat is white or black, so long as it catches the mice" -- Aap me Aam khane hain ya ...

7 April, 2009

By Ahmed Quraishi

The Americans and the pro-Indian Afghan security officials, in addition to the Indian intelligence outposts on Afghan soil, all have exploited Pakistani weaknesses in the area and pushed their own ‘fake Islamists’ inside to confuse the entire situation. Now when there is peace in Swat, this TTP comes into action to discredit the implementation of Shariah in the region.

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan— Everyone knows that a public flogging like this one will create a stir. The fake Taliban who also call themselves ‘Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan‘ [TTP] did this intentionally. And the Pakistani media played along, repeating the footage endlessly for ratings.

The problem is that this appears to be a deliberate attempt by these suspicious ‘Pakistani Taliban’ to derail the peace deal that has robbed them from the excuse to fight their own country and people by claiming that Shariah is not implemented.

This attempt is another indicator in the piles of circumstantial evidence collected over the past two years that proves that while most of the foot soldiers of the ‘Pakistani Taliban’ are our own misguided young Pakistanis, the real handlers behind this shadowy group are people with links to the border area with Afghanistan where, according to the latest statement by Interior Adviser Rehman Malik, some 4000 foreign fighters are present.

These foreign fighters are not the remnants of the jihad of the 1980s. These are professionally trained killers, experts in recruiting, organizing and unleashing ‘death squads’, and psyop experts. During President Musharraf’s time, while he thought the Americans were his allies, CIA and Karzai’s NDS and the Brits penetrated the Pakistani territory and established an elaborate network of their own operatives and spies on the ground.

Tens of U.S. operatives fluent in Pashto and Uzbek and Chechen and other languages were released in the area and are still there. No one in Pakistan knows what they are exactly doing.

When you see the strength of a fake Taliban like Baitullah Mehsud who has 25,000 fighters under his command, you wonder about his never-ending supply of money and modern weapons. He has never been chased by the Americans. CIA has started bombing some places under his command to convince the Pakistani military that the U.S. is not double crossing Pakistan.

The Americans and the pro-Indian Afghan security officials, in addition to the Indian intelligence outposts on Afghan soil, all have exploited Pakistani weaknesses in the area and pushed their own ‘fake Islamists’ inside to confuse the entire situation. Now when there is peace in Swat, this TTP comes into action to discredit the implementation of Shariahin the region. This Shariah has nothing to do with TTP.

The deal was brokered and struck with genuine local known religious figures. The TTP is basically based in the tribal belt and is linked to Mehsud. Also remember that the Afghan Taliban in Afghanistan, who are the real Taliban, have ceased their links with this TTP long time back.

In fact many Afghan Taliban have directly and indirectly conveyed to Pakistani authorities that they are busy in Afghanistan and have nothing to do with TTP which pays lip service to fighting the Americans and focuses on killing Pakistani citizens.

News editors in our TV channels need to understand this. They should not have given these criminals who are hiding behind the name of ‘Taliban’ the satisfaction of giving a successful media blow to the peace deal.

It is also interesting to note that everything the TTP andBaitullah Mehsud does - from attacking Lahore on the day Obama was to release his new Afghan policy, to trying to sabotage the Swat deal which Washington opposes, not to mention attacking Pakistani targets and kidnapping the Chinese- all of this generally ends up supporting the American designs in Pakistan.

News editors in our TV channels need to understand this. They should not have given these criminals who are hiding behind the name of ‘Taliban’ the satisfaction of giving a successful media blow to the peace deal.

Our news channels understand this but our media has other designs too. Why no one talks about the corruption of NS? Why is Hamid Mir shedding tears for Talibans?

No one knows about the funds for GEO. Managers who have worked there don't understand where all this money is coming from.

Biggest channel in Pakistan, GEO, is run by a black mailer by the name of Shakil-ur-Rehman.

It is also interesting to note that everything the TTP andBaitullah Mehsud does - from attacking Lahore on the day Obama was to release his new Afghan policy, to trying to sabotage the Swat deal which Washington opposes, not to mention attacking Pakistani targets and kidnapping the Chinese- all of this generally ends up supporting the American designs in Pakistan.

Lal Masjid guys targetted Chinese women, they left all the other nationalities alone, they left the local women involved in this trade and went to get Chinese women - this is part of the same chain. End result caused Musharraf his popularity in Punjab. Americans wanted someone like BB/ Zardari or NS in the govt. in which they have been successful.

I hope final round will go to Pakistan, insha-Allah

Face against the wind - it's just the way it is. And I have not said anything other than the truth as I understand it. Now it may not be how they see it but we are looking for solutions, that the important thing "it does not matter whether the cat is white or black, so long as it catches the mice" -- Aap me Aam khane hain ya ...

Muse

A very well thought out piece and really commendable .... I dont care if agnostic delete this as off topic but must really commend you on recognising the fact that the tribal system is inbuilt in Indian subcontinental countries ...... and the key to modifying our approach to the afghan problem lies in understanding the development and trying to unravel and learn from history ........

Remember that the class sytem and their derivatives into caste etc came only after the aryan invasion .... and thus as every new settler be they Turks/Greeks/Persians etc whosoever came, they ended up being integrated and as a result a completely different evolution of religion took place in this region which may at times confound a non-native of the region ......

Hellfire

What I am trying to get thru to you, is that strategic depth is a oxymoron in a ballistic missile regime. And that as you put it

ah you are a protagonist of an all out nuclear war? the conventional war will dominate the south-asian field limited in space and duration always due to the nuclear angle, but the usage of nuclear weapons is very very unlikely until and unless Pakistan panics too quickly and resorts to their use in a conventional background. Kargil is a case study for same ..... the confilct was a total war limited in space and time ....... although people would call it a limited war which is the oxymoron and not what you have attributed to be

US backs India's action on Afghan stability
By James Lamont in New Delhi

Published: April 9 2009 03:00 | Last updated: April 9 2009 03:00

The US yesterday reached out to India, backing its full involvement in bringing stability to Afghanistan in a move sure to bring alarm to neighbouring Pakistan.

Richard Holbrooke, the US special representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan, said his country shared the same priorities as India in its approach to Afghanistan, but in the past had failed to co-ordinate them.

"We never in the past had sufficient talks with India about global and strategic issues, and that was the missing factor," said Mr Holbrooke. "We can't settle issues like Afghanistan - and there are many other issues - without India's full involvement and its own expression of views," said Mr Holbrooke.

India has highlighted its willingness to deepen its assistance to Afghanistan as the US plans to deploy more troops in the country. A senior Indian foreign policy adviser last month complained that New Delhi felt frustrated by Washington's concerns that its greater involvement in Afghanistan would inflame Islamabad.

India's intentions are viewed with intense distrust by Pakistan. Pakistan fears encirclement by India, with which it has fought three wars since partition at the end of British rule 62 years ago. Both countries have developed nuclear weapons capabilities.

Pakistani officials are suspicious of Indian consulates in Afghanistan, claiming they are used as spying outposts. They also accuse India of supporting hostile Afghan warlords. India, meanwhile, blames Pakistan's army for the bombing of its embassy in Kabul last year, interpreting it as a message from Islamabad to keep out of the country.

Mr Holbrooke said yesterday that the US had been impressed by India's development assistance to Afghanistan. India has built a new Afghan parliament building, a road between Afghanistan and Iran and additional power capacity. It has also embarked on a grassroots outreach programme to provide bridges, clinics and schools.

Mr Holbrooke was in New Delhi with Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, after visiting Kabul and Islamabad. He expressed concern about the Taliban capture of the Swat Valley, a tourist area 120km from Islamabad, and recent terror attacks on Lahore, Pakistan's second largest city. He said that what had happened in the Swat Valley had "stunned many people in Pakistan".

Mr Holbrooke's comments came after reports that Taliban forces were moving deeper into northern Pakistan. Police said a Taliban convoy had entered the Buner district, 100km from Islamabad.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009

Police arrest 14 terror suspects in Karachi, Lahore

Updated : Wednesday April 8 , 2009 4:15:09 PM

KARACHI/LAHORE: Police have captured 14 terror suspects from various parts of Karachi and Lahore on Wednesday.

Police foiled a terror bid in Karachi and arrested five terror suspects with large quantity of arms and ammunition.

“The arrested terror suspects are members of the outlawed terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi,” Karachi Police chief Waseem Ahmed told media in a press conference.

The terror suspects have been identified as Akbar, Sarfaraz, Noor Mohammed, Khalil Ahmed and Qaisar Sheikh and police have arrested them from various localities of the city in raids.

Meanwhile, Lahore police have also arrested nine terror suspects including four foreign nationals from various parts of the city today.

The suspects could target key government buildings and installations, CCPO Lahore said in a briefing.

Arrested four foreigners are Afghan nationals and some of them are linked with the Indian spy agency, Lahore police chief said.

Police arrest 14 terror suspects in Karachi, Lahore,4/10/2009 1:47:23 PM

yeah Raw is fully involved in all terrorist activities in Pakistan, we have many evidences! India is and will remain always our enemy along with Israel no matter how many decades will pass....

yeah Raw is fully involved in all terrorist activities in Pakistan, we have many evidences! India is and will remain always our enemy along with Israel no matter how many decades will pass....

Prove it to the World using diplomacy.

Why is Israel your enemy ?

MOD EDIT: Leave the emotion out please, and do not stereotype entire communities and people.

About the evidences Pakistan security forces captured dozens of persons working for Raw and we know very well the role of india in destabilizing Pakistan.
not to mention the meanless anti-Pakistan propaganda done by you people in these last few months....(I MEAN INDIAN GOVERMENT)

RE EDIT: My Apologize to everybody, i wrote the comment using the wrong expressions, my comment was reffered to the indian goverment not towards any single person or comunity!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom