Powerplant 1xF404-GE-IN20)
Thrust (Dry)
54.9 kN (12,250 lbs)
Thrust (Afterburner)
85 kN (19,000 lbs)
Internal fuel capacity 3,000 Liters

External fuel capacity
5×800 liter tanks or 3×1,200 liter tanks, totaling 4,000/3,600 liters

Radar ELTA EL/M 2052 AESA Elta claims that the long-range AESA fire control system is capable of detecting 64 targets, and of simultaneously engaging "several" using radar-guided missiles. A prototype of the radar is currently being tested on a Boeing 737 testbed. For ground surveillance, the design is capable of generating high-resolution synthetic aperture radar imagery and of detecting moving surface targets, and can also be used to support maritime surveillance tasks.

Weight (Empty)
5,500 kg (12,100 lb)
Weight (Max Take Off)
14,500 kg (31,967 lb)
Weight (Max Landing)
9,500 kg (21,000 lb)

Wing Loading
221.4 kg/m² (45.35 lb/ft²)

there is a speculation of aesa on tejas according to this source

LCA Tejas - a knol by Vijainder K Thakur

Small Correction its deficiency of Air intakes :cheers:

Hope this might improve AOA of Tejas MK1.

It is not a small correction...they are trying to add auxillary air intakes to the MK2 but who knows how much it will help.It is a serious design mistake but things like these happen.How else does someone learn.

It is not a small correction...they are trying to add auxillary air intakes to the MK2 but who knows how much it will help.It is a serious design mistake but things like these happen.How else does someone learn.

Auxiliary already exists .they are going to redesign intake in mk2 for new engines.

Auxiliary already exists .they are going to redesign intake in mk2 for new engines.

Absolutely correct -- GE414 requires much bigger intakes. Now that LCA engineers have practically experienced the problems , we can be pretty much sure that they will design air intakes to do away with problems.

Also they are increasing the wing length , not sure if they are adding canards to LCA MK2 but it would be great if they do.

Absolutely correct -- GE414 requires much bigger intakes. Now that LCA engineers have practically experienced the problems , we can be pretty much sure that they will design air intakes to do away with problems.

Also they are increasing the wing length , not sure if they are adding canards to LCA MK2 but it would be great if they do.

One thing i do not get is why dint they make these changes in naval lca itself ,did they get to know of these problems much later.

One thing i do not get is why dint they make these changes in naval lca itself ,did they get to know of these problems much later.

Changing air intake of airplane is not as easy as it sounds -- the problem was identified much before and hence aux intakes ALA jaguar was done as a temp solution.
Why was it not done for naval LCA ? There can be many reasons ---
Naval LCA itself is complicated which involves some structural hardening , landing gear modifications , etc..why complicate this process by changing the air intakes --which would mean more testing , change of IOC dates , etc...
also there is a lot design process that goes behind changing of air intakes -- which would mean more time in the roll out of NAval LCA.

I think this is a sensible approach --there are trying to IOC asap --- and once that is received then they will concentrate on making LCA a potent platform that it was initially designed to be...

No, scope creep added weight and as a consequence the LCA needed a more powerful engine. If you must blame someone, blame the IAF.

Even though EJ 200 fits in without much changes to airframe, I still believe it requires more air than 404 so modifying air intakes is a must. I think the only adv we get is TVC nozzle with EJ. other than that both the engines might need the same modifications to LCA.

Any comments..

Tx
Sri

VKSL8403-776719.JPG

Naval LCA

Back
Top Bottom