What's new

Tamilnadu oppose India's Sanskrit week

may be..
Srilankan Tamil dialect preserved many ancient dravidan working,that was not in used in the dialects of Tamilnadu(Sanskritization is not much affected in the eezham Tamil dialects)..and also the nasal accent and way of pronunciation is completely different in the srilankan Tamil...

Sorry..ancient dravida words...

so you speak malayalee....? In jiya jale song, there is some malayalee right? i have heard you have curved letters. what made your letters curved?

I wholehearted agree with you on
1) Sinhala is an Indo European, Aryan language derived from Pali/Sanskrit- close to Hindi
2) Sinhalas - are of the North Indian Aryan stock
3) Sinhala Buddhism - is Indian Aryan 'Dharmic" religion , though obsolete in India

based on the above India should annex Lanka

Then India should annex Iran also.

Where did you hear Sinhalese in India? I'm pretty sure even if you listen to our national anthem well, you can grab similar words. I just underlined some words.
Sri Lanka Matha (Mother Sri Lanka)
Sri Lanka Matha,
apa Sri Lanka, Namo Namo Namo Namo Matha
Sundara siri barini, Surendi athi Sobamana Lanka
Dhanya dhanaya neka mal palathuru piri, Jaya bhoomiya ramya.
Apa hata sapa siri setha sadana, jeewanaye Matha!
Piliganu mena apa bhakthi puja namo namo matha
Apa Sri Lanka,
Namo Namo Namo Namo Matha
Obawe apa widya,
Obamaya apa sathya
Obawe apa shakti,
Apa hada thula bhakthi
Oba apa aloke,
Aapage anuprane
Oba apa jeewana we,
Apa mukthiya obawe
Nawa jeewana demine
Nnithina apa Pubudu karan matha
Gnana weerya wadawamina ragena yanu
mena jaya bhoomi kara
Eka mawekuge daru kala bawina
yamu yamu wee nopama
Prema wada sama bheda durara da
Namo Namo Matha
Apa Sri Lanka, Namo Namo Namo Namo Matha
Actually there is a lot of dravidian words here

@INDIC, @abjktu
I know that you are not familiarized with Sinhala as much as we are with Hindi. Although Sinhala is in Indo-Aryan family, you can't expect that much of similarity due to the separation from others.

"Sinhala shares much with other Indo-Aryan languages such as Hindi. This includes vocabulary and grammar.

Examples:

Verbs in their infinitive form.

Note that the ending "vaa" in Sinhala infinitives can be removed wihout any change to the meaning.
This has been done below with some of the infinitives to highlight the similarities between the Hindi form and the Sinhala form. Note that these are two language separated by thousands of kilometres and a huge belt of Dravidian languages.

"to do"
Hindi (H) - karnaa
Sinhala (S) - karanaa

"to kill"
H - maarnaa
S - maranaa

"to see"
H - dekhnaa
S - dakinaa

"to eat"
H - khanaa
S - kanavaa

"to bathe"
H - nahaanaa
S - naanavaa

"to come"
H - aanaa
S - enaa

"to go"
H - jaanaa
S - yanaa

"to sing"
H - gaanaa
S - gayanaa

"to give"
H - denaa
S - denavaa

"to count"
H - ginnaa
S - ganinaa

"to know"
H - jaannaa
S - dannavaa

"to insult/scorn"
H - nindaa karnaa
S - nindaa karanaa

"to hear"
H - sunnaa
S - asanaa"

And some simple words...

ENGLISH -- HINDI -- SINHALA(with synonyms)

NO - nahi - naha
YES - haa - haa/ow
RICE - bhaath - bath
OIL - tel - tel
MEAT - maans - mas/maansha
POTATO - aaloo - ala
SUGAR - cheeni - seeni
HAND - haath - atha/hasthaya
TEETH - daant - dat/dantha
EAR - kaan - kana/karna
ARM - baahu - baahuwa
MOUTH - muu - muwa/mukhaya
NECK - gelaa - gela
FINGER - unglee - angilla
DOUBLE - dugunaa - deguna
SUFFERING - dukh - dukha
SMOKE - dhua - duma
FAR - door - dura
ON THE RIGHT - dahine - dakune
STAR - taaraa - taruwa/tharakaawa
MOON - chaand - handa/chandraya
COUGH - khaasii - kessa
CORNER - konaa - kona
BLACK - kaalaa - kalu/kaala
BLUE - neelaa - nil/neela
VILLAGE - graam - gama
WAR - yudh - yuddaya
BLIND - andhaa - andha
BLANKET - kammal - kambala
DARKNESS - andheraa - andhura
BRASS - peetal - pittala
COPPER - taambaa - tamba
LANGUAGE - bhaashaa - basa/baashawa
NAKED - nangaa - nagna
NEW - nayaa - nava
ODOUR - gandh - ganda
OLD - puraanaa - parana/puraana
POISEN - vish - visa
PRICE - moolya - mila
ROOM - kamraa - kaamaraya
SIN - paap - paapaya
SPECIAL - vishesh - vishesha
HEAVY - bharee - bara
LAST - antim - antima
UNCLE - maamaa - maamaa

Numerals

ENGLISH - HINDI - SINHALA

ONE - ek - eka
TWO - do - deka
THREE - teen - tuna
FOUR - chaar - hatara/chathurtha
FIVE - paanch - paha/pancha
SIX - chah - haya
SEVEN - saat - hata/saptha
EIGHT - aaT - aTa/ashta
NINE - nau - namaya
TEN - daas - dahaya/dasha"

Source: lankaweb

If we look at most of Sinhalese first names, it can be clearly said that they are sanskrtized. Here I used the names of the popular people in India with Sinhalese names.

Indian - Sinhala

Mahendra - Mahinda
Anushka - Anushka
Suraj - Suraaj
Kapil - Kapila
Rohit - Rohitha
Kumar - Kumara
Varun - Varuna
Amar - Amara
Anil, Sunil, Suresh, Manoj
Ashok - Ashoka
Sanjay - Sanjaya
Geetha, Deepa, Gayatri, Malini, Kanchana, Kalpana, Sapna, Kumari, Kaushalya, Kavya, Mallika, Priyanka, Renuka, etc

The list looks very interesting. I can tell you there Sanskrit origin but I don't know what was their Prakrit equivalent.

English has many French words too.

This clown @manlion branded me as Hindutva extremist when I refuted Aryan-Dravidian theory based on genetic tests of Harvard Medical school. :wacko::wacko:

so you speak malayalee....? In jiya jale song, there is some malayalee right? i have heard you have curved letters. what made your letters curved?
haha.Malayalam is my mothertongue..but i also speak Tamil,Kannada and Hindi...
Malayalam is very much close to Tamil,50-60% mutual intelligibility..Earlier Malayalam was written in 'vattezhuthu'(ancient Tamil script)..modern script was evolved from grantha.again both vattezhuthu and grantha was evolved from brahmi...

Then India should annex Iran also.
you still did not get his point.
Historically SL has been inhabited. Given its close proximity to South India the people who inhabited SL can be (highly probable) having a shared ancestry with south indians or even originated in south india.
Given SL is close to south india and the equator and the distance it has from North India the earliest ppl in SL cannot be Aryan. Rather the earliest ppl can be black, short and stout small people given SL is an island close to equator.
That is the people who inhabited SL first. The question is what happened to these people.

SL tamils say they are the descendants of them. Sinhala people say they came from North India and started a civilisation and that the descendants of the original people became vaddhas....this is the root of the problem.

Sinhala people in their genetics, over all looks are close to southern people. The grammar structure of language is close to tamil due to many reasons.

And you re hell bent on proving SL tamil's hypothesis is correct because you do not realise making Sinhala look like a northern indian language and of aryan stock actually does not help your points in history rather helps manlion's point that Sinhala are mere immigrants who took the island from original dravidians.

Got it atleast now?

haha.Malayalam is my mothertongue..but i also speak Tamil,Kannada and Hindi...
Malayalam is very much close to Tamil,50-60% mutual intelligibility..Earlier Malayalam was written in 'vattezhuthu'(ancient Tamil script)..modern script was evolved from grantha.again both vattezhuthu and grantha was evolved from brahmi...
thanks. i asked that because sinhala script looked similar to malayalam. The reason our sinhala script got curved is because buddhist monks used loa leaves to write. So in order to prevent the ola leave tearing off they started rounding and softening the edges. Thought such a thing might have happened

You only need videos to hear Sinhala, I am refer to Sinhala vernacular. Although the 'Tatsam' are identical in all Indo-Aryan languages but even your National anthem nowhere closer to North Indian languages because the common words used in North Indian languages are only slightly different to each other, I can understand bit of Assamese or Sindhi because of their similar words with Hindi but Sinhala is nowhere close.

but we understand Hindi lol... well some times...
The reason is Sanskrit words that were in Sinhala was difficult for our sinhala folks to pronounce. So we changed the pronounciation to make them easier. For example sanskrit word snanaya became nananwa...it is easy to pronounce for our sinhala tounghe. :) more reasons that sanskrit was imported to SL.....this is my analysis actually

Last edited:
The list looks very interesting. I can tell you there Sanskrit origin but I don't know what was their Prakrit equivalent.
Yes, it is a pretty interesting subject to do a linguistic research. There is a book on
Sinhala-Hindi similarity dictionary
in Sinhala letters
1st ed.
Subash Chawla, Ven. Gnānapāla.
Published 1991 .

When I hear a Hindi song, I can identify some words which sounds similar to Sinhala.
Examples:
Neele Gagan Ke Tale, Dharti Ka Pyaar Pale
Nadiya Ka Paani, Dariya Se Milke,
Saagar Ki Aur Chale

Yeh Jeevan Hai, Is Jeevan Ka
Bandhan Yuh Na Todo

Meherbaan likhoon, haseena likhoon, ya dilrooba likhoon
Yeh mera prempatr padhkar ke tum naaraaz na hona
Ke tum meri zindagi ho, ke tum meri bandagi ho

Chein Nahin Bahaar Chein Nahin Ghar Mein
Mann Mera Dharti Par Aur Kabhi Ambar Mein
Usko Dhoondha Har Dagar Mein Har Nagar Mein
Gali Gali Dekha Nayan Uthaaye

Last edited:
you still did not get his point.
Historically SL has been inhabited. Given its close proximity to South India the people who inhabited SL can be (highly probable) having a shared ancestry with south indians or even originated in south india.
Given SL is close to south india and the equator and the distance it has from North India the earliest ppl in SL cannot be Aryan. Rather the earliest ppl can be black, short and stout small people given SL is an island close to equator.
That is the people who inhabited SL first. The question is what happened to these people.

SL tamils say they are the descendants of them. Sinhala people say they came from North India and started a civilisation and that the descendants of the original people became vaddhas....this is the root of the problem.

Sinhala people in their genetics, over all looks are close to southern people. The grammar structure of language is close to tamil due to many reasons.

And you re hell bent on proving SL tamil's hypothesis is correct because you do not realise making Sinhala look like a northern indian language and of aryan stock actually does not help your points in history rather helps manlion's point that Sinhala are mere immigrants who took the island from original dravidians.

Got it atleast now?

thanks. i asked that because sinhala script looked similar to malayalam. The reason our sinhala script got curved is because buddhist monks used loa leaves to write. So in order to prevent the ola leave tearing off they started rounding and softening the edges. Thought such a thing might have happened

but we understand Hindi lol... well some times...
The reason is Sanskrit words that were in Sinhala was difficult for our sinhala folks to pronounce. So we changed the pronounciation to make them easier. For example sanskrit word snanaya became nananwa...it is easy to pronounce for our sinhala tounghe. :) more reasons that sanskrit was imported to SL.....this is my analysis actually
yeah.but i think Kannada/telegu scripts looks more closer to sinhala..curved & round...

yeah.but i think Kannada/telegu scripts looks more closer to sinhala..curved & round...
"The Sinhalese script originated from the Brahmi script, thought to have been brought from Northern India, around the 3rd century B.C. Thereafter it underwent a largely separate process of development, than the mainland scripts. It was also influenced by south Indian scripts, at various stages of its development, particularly the Pallava script (early Grantha script)."

bharmito-present-sinhala.gif

Last edited:
Normally debating with an idiot is useless.

Yeah I understand that.

Anyway Sinhala has a large dravidian element not just a sanskrit element. The sentence structure is similar to tamil. I am not saying Sinhala is a totally dravidian language but there is a strong dravidian element in it. Those who categorised sinhala as indo european were white people. And their tamil knowledge was poor to understand that. If not we point out our dravidian roots and dravidian element in Sinhala, sinhala people would be termed as mere north indian immigrants forgetting our roots to SL.

Those who categorized Sinhalese language into Indo-Aryan stock weren't mere professionals like our own degree holders in SL. Just look at Max Muller. Who was a leading linguist. It is very unreasonable to say that those linguist just categorized Sinhalese into Indo-Aryan stock just because our people believed we were Aryans.

There were much wider research going on at that time. So it is very peculiar if you say that no one bothered to look into Sinhalese-Tamil connection at that time.

No one can say we were North Indians just because we speak a Indo-Aryan stock language. If that's the case then we should be called Romans also.

And though you like to dwell in history your understanding of strategic affairs is pathetically poor. That is evident when you suggest SL should support dravidanadu in India. That is understandable given you are a stupid and blind government supporter of an incredibly stupid government.

I just said what we should do if Tamils in TN ask for a separate country. That is because TN is the historical homeland of Tamils. Not the Northern Sri Lanka.

No one look at history and see what happen 1000 years ago when taking strategic decisions or it does not affect future. (Now as the idiot you are do not take this as i am against history and says history is unimportant). The reality is SL cannot sustain north and east of SL as a part of SL without integrating the people there as there is a tamil majority in north and east. That is idiot is common sense.

Every one look for the past when they need to look to the future. We did it in 2005 and our grand children will look back at us when they were in trouble. It is not bad actually to look back at the history and know who you really are. Do not be ashamed of it.

No one is stopping the integration of Tamils with Sinhalese. It is just people like you who gets very nervous when remembered the past.

Noone cares if Sinhalese ever lived in N and E centuries ago if Tamils broke away with these parts. No one cares about what your history says. It is the current realities that matter. If we lose on current realities and lose our territory no one cares who lived there centuries before and you can insert your history book in where sun does nt shine. Because idiot what matters is current realities.

It is the history that holds SL together or else Tamils should have broken this country. It seems that some people wants Sinhalese to forget their history.

The point here is that history play a key role in determining the validity of a sovereign state. Look below those are the prime criteria if one to become a separate sovereign state.

1) a defined territory; 2) a permanent population; 3) a government and 4) a capacity to enter into relations with other states

Sovereign state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first 2 criteria is governed by the history. History clarifies the defined territory and the permanent population (which needs to be living there for some considerable time). If we forget history it will become very easy to anyone to claim our country for theirs.

That is the importance of history in current decision making.

This is the map of the region. Look and learn from it. This just debunk the Kumari Kandam myth.

I didn't drag KK, just showing the possibility that the coastal region could have submerged thus separating Lanka from mother Tamilnadu

If you check some online sources it say the Nagas and Yakkhas (Yakshas in Sanskrit) were from South India, not sure if the Mahavamsa adopts the same view ,

Lankan source claim Ravana a Yakkha king , Tamils claim ownership too , India Aryans disown him, you decide who has the ownership rights

Back
Top Bottom