What's new

Tamilnadu oppose India's Sanskrit week

Cool down people,,,nothing is there to fear.
The next generation is different,,,expect things to cool down in next 15-20 years.

so are you telling me that every single tamil is going to speak english in future?
I am not saying, we are going to speak English in future. But will interact with people outside Tamil Nadu through English in future for sure. Even when you explain auto drivers in English, they will understand very well in chennai. Many north Indian students are studying in chennai, they are interacting with bus conductors through english very well, if you know some north indian guys in chennai, check with them, how even the bus conductors are interacting in English..

Sunken continent is just a legend in literature. It may be false.

How can we wait for until then?

Dude trust me,,,everything will be sorted out.
LTTE is dead,,,it will take 10-15 years but the tamils in sri lanka will get integrated,they have no option to fight now.
So they will come around.

All these internet tamils are spreading false propaganda

Sinhala cannot be compared with any dravidian language because of some words. Otherwise some can even compare it with europen languages.
" This is borne out by philological evidence which shows that Sinhala, the language of Sinhalese, is ultimately derived from old Indo-Aryan (Sanskrit) through middle Indo-Aryan or Prakrit (whose best representative is Pali, the language of the Buddhist scriptures).
By linguistic research, it has been possible to connect a number of Sinhala words to words occuring in European, Iranian and North Indian languages. Such resemblances are however not very apparent due to the profound sound changes they have undergone throughout the centuries.
Due to its strategic position in the waterways of the east, the Sinhala language has been susceptible to manifold foreign linguistic influences. This has come mainly from Tamil, the Dravidian language spoken by the Tamils of neighbouring South India.
"
I couldn't post the link, got some error message.

As I said before for the formation of Sinhala language Sanskrit and Tamil has being used. That is what I said before and the same thing is highlighted by the bold parts in what you pasted. About dravidian features in Sinhala, it is not some words, but like close to half of words in Sinhala have a tamil origin. And it is not limited to words only. The grammar structure of Sinhala is very much equivalent to the grammar structure in Tamil in spoken sinhala.

Actually Sinhala cannot be categorised as an indo european lang or as a dravidian lang because it has features of both. The ones who did initial categorisation were white ppl who had knowledge of only Sinhala and English. But it is said that for a person who knows both Sinhala and Tamil the similarities are obvious.

Tamil was the language and ppl we contacted most in different ways and many sinhalese have tamil origin. Even in 14th 15th centuries Tamil literature like Thirukkural did influence sinhala literature. So there is an obviously large Tamil influence.

Just because current demography is different from the past doesn't mean that we have to forget the past in order to look to the future. We should always remember what was the past and realize what is the present.

Do you suggest that just because there are Tamils living in Jaffna that Sinhalese cannot claim it as there own?

We are not talking about any individuals here mate. We are talking about the state. Every land within the boundary of the state is owned by the state despite the ethnicity. No one can say this part is ours and that part is ours.

where did i ask you to forget history?
where did i talk about individuals?
I said no matter what history is demography is what matters when it comes to current day politics. therefore if SL wants to keep its boundaries intact treat every one fairly and in the same manner. That is common sense.

@Saradiel

Even the Dravidian languages are highly influenced by Sanskrit but their base is still Dravidian and categorized as Dravidian languages. In case of Sinhala the base of the language is Indo-Aryan even if its deviated a lot from Northern Indian Indo-Aryan languages.

The writing systems of the Indo-Aryan and Dravidian languages have a common origin from Brahmi script. The Pallava Script spread to South East Asia to give rise to modern South-East asian writing system while Tibetan scripts originated from Gupta/Siddham Script of North India.
I do not know whether Indo-Aryan and dravidian have a common origin. To be honest i am not expert on these things except sinhala which i know :) so cant comment on that.
I am saying though Sinhala is categorized as Indo Aryan, there is a strong dravidian element in Sinhala which hints at dravidian origin of sinhala ppl. The ones who did such categorization were white ppl who knew sinhala and english. But ppl who know both sinhala and tamil say there is a strong dravidian element in Sinhala.
I get why you are confused. Even in this thread sinhalese are saying different things regarding sinhala language :)
Some of the sinhala ppl want to downplay dravidian component in SL like some in this thread.

However Sinhala is unique in that it is influenced by both sanskrit and dravidian alike. Imagine some dravidians from south India were joined by some North indians who had sanskrit based languages and joined with some dravidian natives, with constant pali language training for 2000+ years. The result is a language which is influenced by both. That is what sinhala is.

Vellalars are the elite in Tamizhnadu,there are many people who call themselves Vellalar.basically they are a land owning community.

They are shaivites,they worship the shiva and many of them are staunch vegetarians and count amongst the brahmins when you talk of the elite.

There are many vellalars in TN but the most proper amongst those come from the southernmost point of India,the bottom most 2-3 districts.

we are the only set of people especially the brahmins and the vellalars of southern tamizhnadu,we brahmins are mixed stock of north indian brahmins and south indian brahmins native of tamizhnadu,vellalars also have mixed blood with brahmins,it would be totally cool for a brahmin guy/girl to marry a vellalar girl/guy.
thanks for the infor. btwn it was not me who said vellalar were brought by dutch for tobacco plants. It was another one. I know vellalars were here before that.
i guess you support caste system :)

Last edited:
We know that earlier Jayalalita was an actress too. Who knows Vijay can become next CM. It's sad to see ordinary TN people believe their junk words,worship them as gods and try to get separated from India (Dravidanadu).
We will never forget Vijay's words as to erase SL from world map. Even his picture is annoying.
do u really see any difference to what our ppl vote for and what TN ppl vote for. The ones our ppl vote for are nut cases and even worse than what TN has. We are not in a position to laugh at others when it comes to politicians.

I do not know whether Indo-Aryan and dravidian have a common origin. To be honest i am not expert on these things except sinhala which i know :) so cant comment on that.
I am saying though Sinhala is categorized as Indo Aryan, there is a strong dravidian element in Sinhala which hints at dravidian origin of sinhala ppl. The ones who did such categorization were white ppl who knew sinhala and english. But ppl who know both sinhala and tamil say there is a strong dravidian element in Sinhala.
I get why you are confused. Even in this thread sinhalese are saying different things regarding sinhala language :)
Some of the sinhala ppl want to downplay dravidian component in SL like some in this thread.

However Sinhala is unique in that it is influenced by both sanskrit and dravidian alike. Imagine some dravidians from south India were joined by some North indians who had sanskrit based languages and joined with some dravidian natives, with constant pali language training for 2000+ years. The result is a language which is influenced by both. That is what sinhala is.

I don't find Sinhala language sounds anywhere similar to North Indian languages but still that is considered as an Indo-Aryan isolate. I mean I can understand a bit of all North Indian languages but Sinhalas is nowhere sounds close to that.

I don't find Sinhala language sounds anywhere similar to North Indian languages but still that is considered as an Indo-Aryan isolate. I mean I can understand a bit of all North Indian languages but Sinhalas is nowhere sounds close to that.
exactly that is what i meant by dravidian element. Between where did you hear sinhala?

Vellalars are the elite in Tamizhnadu,there are many people who call themselves Vellalar.basically they are a land owning community.

They are shaivites,they worship the shiva and many of them are staunch vegetarians and count amongst the brahmins when you talk of the elite.

There are many vellalars in TN but the most proper amongst those come from the southernmost point of India,the bottom most 2-3 districts.

we are the only set of people especially the brahmins and the vellalars of southern tamizhnadu,we brahmins are mixed stock of north indian brahmins and south indian brahmins native of tamizhnadu,vellalars also have mixed blood with brahmins,it would be totally cool for a brahmin guy/girl to marry a vellalar girl/guy.

looks wise they look similar but there are differences in food/lifestyle/accent of tamizh used but largely we are close to each other.

The vellalars of northern srilanka are also very close to us in culture/food/lifestyle etc and also the upper castes of southern kerala,we all are very close to each other in temperament and intellect.

Thats why i can say with 100% surety that the dutch did not bring the vellalars to jaffna.

I wonder how do you make such claims,there is a royal family of jaffna and it is so close to rameswaram,where the maravar king sethupathy ruled till 1947.

There have been so many wars between sinhalese people of the south of the island and the jaffna kingdom and the maravrs of ramnad.

the tamizh they speak is very very antique and different from what we and the indian vellalars speak,

the kandy plantation tamils also say that they are vellalars but they are as vellalar as they are a fvckin monkey.
Neenga solradhu sari thaan...Tamilnattu vellalargala pathi avvalavu theriyadhu..inge Kerala la vellala vamsath la serndha niraya per irukaanga..avangala paarthaal Tamils madhiri theriyala.....

See, my previous comment too. I don't know whether you know the fact that the written Sinhala is somewhat different from speaking one. The written Sinhala is highly based on Sanskrit & Pali influenced words.
yeah..but its same in almost all Indian languages,written and speaking form has slight variations......

do u really see any difference to what our ppl vote for and what TN ppl vote for. The ones our ppl vote for are nut cases and even worse than what TN has. We are not in a position to laugh at others when it comes to politicians.
I didn't mention or laugh or want to talk about SL politics here. Just mentioned about how their actors/actresses who pollute the minds of people for self gain.

I didn't mention or laugh or want to talk about SL politics here. Just mentioned about how their actors/actresses who pollute the minds of people for self gain.
yeah man. their politicians suck but we need to get our house in order first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom