What's new

Taiwan military delegation in US, seeking F-16s

Machoman

Reaction score
Taipei: Taiwan wants to buy more F-16 fighter jets and will press the issue at an annual defence meeting with US officials, a military officer said Monday.

The plea for new jets comes amid growing concern in Taiwan that the balance of power with China is shifting in favour of the mainland.

"We'll utilise the opportunity to again express the hope of buying F-16s," the Taiwan defence ministry official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The US-Taiwan Defence Industry Conference 2009 in the US state of Virginia, which runs from Sunday until Tuesday, will include speeches by state and defence department officials.

The Taiwanese side is headed by Deputy Defence Minister Chaou Shih-chang, the military official said.

Taiwan applied to the US government to buy 66 F-16 fighters in early 2007, but observers said Washington held up the deal for fear of angering Beijing.

Rupert Hammond-Chambers, president of the US-Taiwan Business Council which organised the conference, urged the Obama administration to approve the purchase, citing China's growing military might.

The new planes are meant to beef up the air force's combat strength until Taiwan can buy so-called "third generation" fighters from the United States, military officers said.

The United States agreed in 1992 to sell Taiwan 150 less sophisticated F-16 fighters, but refused to supply the F-16 C/Ds that the island now wants. The F-16 C/Ds have a longer range and more powerful ground attack capability.

Admiral Timothy Keating, head of the Hawaii-based US Pacific Command, warned earlier this month that Sino-US ties could face at least temporary strain if the US administration agrees to sell Taiwan the advanced F-16 jets.

The United States has remained Taiwan's leading arms supplier even though it switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.

China opposes any arms sales to Taiwan, which it regards as part of its territory.

i'd rather them to buy F15. F16 is not good enough if they want to compete with J-10&11. F-15 , on the other hand, will be a good opponent and motivation of our air force.

Whatever they do is useless,there are at least 1500 missiles hanging over their head

^^^ yes pretty much if the mainland decided to start a war tomorrow the first thing is a thousand missile strike on military targets including all known airbases

Whatever they do is useless,there are at least 1500 missiles hanging over their head

Guys... I am not Sino Phobic pervert here. I am not anti China.

But let me tell you Taiwan cares for the Chinese nation more than the Communist regime cares for. Remember, in the 1950s Taiwan's nationalist Govt strongly criticized the Communist Govt for letting India seize the South Tibet? Taiwan supported China's claim over South Tibet which is occupied by India and demanded the Chinese Communist Regime to take it back.

Why do you guys always take Taiwan as your enemy? They are also Han Chinese. Let them live their own way.

We didn't take Taiwan as our enemy,not like S.Korea and N.Korea,it is impossible that a war happen between us,because young people of both side are almost the same,we both play world of warcraft,use ipod,watch Transformers...Missiles will only be used once they declare independent.

We didn't take Taiwan as our enemy,not like S.Korea and N.Korea,it is impossible that a war happen between us,because young people of both side are almost the same,we both play world of warcraft,use ipod,watch Transformers...Missiles will only be used once they declare independent.

I may suggest your Communist Govt to focus on South instead.

Let Taiwan be independent. Taiwan will work as a bridge between China and US. Make a deal with US, tell them we will sacrifice Taiwan, but help us take South Tibet back.

Play a smart diplomacy.

:cheers:

Let Taiwan be independent. Taiwan will work as a bridge between China and US. Make a deal with US, tell them we will sacrifice Taiwan, but help us take South Tibet back.

Play a smart diplomacy.

Don't troll here. This has nothing to do with India. If you can't post something constructive, please refrain. It is a matter related to China and India is no way associated with this.

Please don't bring your anti-India propoganda here. (flag does not make you an India.)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Play a smart diplomacy.

1. Taiwan will never be able to go independent. Let alone millitary inbalance, on economic front, China is indirectly funding Taiwanese govenment budget for years now via deliberate trade deficit, to support Taiwan's domestic economy. The percetage of Taiwan's economy relying on the mainland is stunning.

2. China make deals with the US behind the curtain all the time on variety of issues. But CHina will never use Taiwan as a chip on negotiation table; the US does.

3. The possibility of war btw the two sides is close to zero now. Peace unification is the scene that both are working at.

4. China can take South Tibet back by force at any given notice if it's forced to do so. And China doesn't need the help of the US to do that. In fact , the more troubles there are btw China and India, the happier the US feels as "there's another foot soldier dragging back the leg of China, who is the only truly global competitor of the US".

5. On smart diplomacy, China is the grand maestro of it.

Play a smart diplomacy.

when you figure out what ma ying-jeou is doing in this picture,you will realise the independent Taiwan is just your beautiful dream.
View attachment 72e14ec64c63dc2c78c752a13d85f2d3.jpg

4. China can take South Tibet back by force at any given notice if it's forced to do so. And China doesn't need the help of the US to do that. In fact , the more troubles there are btw China and India, the happier the US feels as "there's another foot soldier dragging back the leg of China, who is the only truly global competitor of the US".

I understand that China is powerful than India. But if China thinks that it can take South Tibet by force, this is a misleading statement. In such a scenario, China would have to play the agressor and that would be hell costly for both. Nothing of this sort is going to happen.

But I agree about US upto a large extent. However, every country in this world do or atleast try to do so.

5. On smart diplomacy, China is the grand maestro of it.

Something we are also accused of.:D:D Also two diplomats can not go go on war until they renounce it.

Why you guys are so obsessed with Taiwan, I just simply do not understand. It is just an unnecessary infatuation. :hitwall: :hitwall:

What kind of wealth is hidden in that tiny island which is inhabited by some backward superstitious tribals and ruled by a group of nationalist Han Chinese? :hitwall: :hitwall:

South Tibet is more important than Taiwan in my opinion.

Yes I know China has always made deals with the US behind the curtain which no one knows. But why are you so indifferent to South Tibet? And why your Govt still follows an appeasement policy towards India which is the only enemy of China? :hitwall: :hitwall:

I understand that China is powerful than India. But if China thinks that it can take South Tibet by force, this is a misleading statement. In such a scenario, China would have to play the agressor and that would be hell costly for both. Nothing of this sort is going to happen.

But I agree about US upto a large extent. However, every country in this world do or atleast try to do so.

Something we are also accused of.:D:D Also two diplomats can not go go on war until they renounce it.

no,china is very expecting india take aksai chin by force ,along our road,there will be more and more choice,india refuse to solve that illegal line peacefully,let's solve it in other way.war ? we are in no hurry,free to start it if you want

Why you guys are so obsessed with Taiwan, I just simply do not understand. It is just an unnecessary infatuation. :hitwall:

What kind of wealth is hidden in that tiny island which is inhabited by some backward superstitious tribals and ruled by a group of nationalist Han Chinese? :hitwall:

South Tibet is more important than Taiwan in my opinion.

Yes I know China has always made deals with the US behind the curtain which no one knows. But why are you so indifferent to South Tibet? And why your Govt still follows an appeasement policy towards India which is the only enemy of China? :hitwall: :hitwall:

" South Tibet is more important than Taiwan. " --- Are you nuts? :cheesy:

The tiny island of Taiwan happens to be at the most important strategic crossroad for China to break into the Pacific Ocean , where the real battle of 21st century lies - facing the US.

And that tiny little island happens to be

the 26th largest economy in the world in 2008 = producing 1/3 of India's GDP!!!! :agree:

--- That is more than countries such as Greece and Iran!

--- And that is more than the GDP of Portugal and Israel putting together!

And that tiny island happens to boast one of the most advanced high-tech industries in the entire world, which makes your proud Banglalore look like something coming from the Store Age.

And South Tibet...? :blink:

Anyway, both are Chinese lands and China will take both back at due time!

Last edited:
no,china is very expecting india take aksai chin by force ,along our road,there will be more and more choice,india refuse to solve that illegal line peacefully,let's solve it in other way.war ? we are in no hurry,free to start it if you want

Please do not flame. I have already said that China is more powerful than India. So India can not take anything by force from China. But China can not either as we are not that weak as well.

And India did not refuse to solve it. You are blaming this entirely on India. Both India and China are trying their best and mistrust has been certainly reduced if not eliminated. It's just that both could not reach to a mutual agreement. Thanks.

Lastly, thread is related to something else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom